Skip to content

Camp Barkley #1 Overall

Locked The Browns Board
550 48 16.5k
  • A good first take on Mayfield.

    ...and I'm only bringing this up because I know a lot of you guys think you need to burn the #1 on a QB. You can EASILY take Barkley 1st without give NY/Colts a chance at him, then turn around and take the QB not named Frozen Rosen or Ronald Darnold.

    @poeticg said:

    A good first take on Mayfield.

    ...and I'm only bringing this up because I know a lot of you guys think you need to burn the #1 on a QB. You can EASILY take Barkley 1st without give NY/Colts a chance at him, then turn around and take the QB not named Frozen Rosen or Ronald Darnold.

    One mock draft had us taking Mayfield 1st and Barkley 4th.   You have to ask yourself are the teams drafting 2nd and 3rd all set at QB?  And, will they ever have a better chance to nail their version of pick of the litter at QB (especially when/if Mayfield isn't their #1 QB). In honor of silly season kicking off -  If we DID pick Mayfield 1st overall - this pushes the Rosen One and Darnold Duck-HerecomesBosaagain to the 2nd and 3rd team. Now Cleveland has their pick of the litter for whatever player/position they want to go after.  This scenario means Barkley will be there at #4 if our FO wants him.   At this time I hope they don't want him.  There's still good RBs after round 1.  Dorsey was in the FO that drafted Kareem Hunt in round 3 so he understands this as well as anyone.   Meanwhile, Alvin Kamara was also drafted in round 3.

    The last time we got bullied into a RB was when we held the 4th overall pick and traded up to #3 to draft Trent Richardson.  At the time, it sure seemed like a lot of well paid draft analysts told us that was a great pick.  I'll fess up, I was right there with you thinking Richardson was an ideal pick.  That's why I never bust your balls about the guy. That said, I do hope we can learn from our mistakes and realize the draft rarely ever runs out of very good RBs after round 1.

  • @mld-woody said:

    I thought people playing characters only existed on the political board... I was wrong

    This has to be some Andy Kaufman Sheet going on...

    @dutch-oven said:

    This has to be some Andy Kaufman Sheet going on...

    YES, they added a Boss 

  • @mld-woody said:

    I thought people playing characters only existed on the political board... I was wrong

    This has to be some Andy Kaufman Sheet going on...

    @dutch-oven said:

    This has to be some Andy Kaufman Sheet going on...

    Andy was boss! A great talent but also a strange individual.....I loved man on the moon, wife doesn't really get it.

  • I see Guice and Johnson as very similar players, Guice a better runner but Johnson the better receiver. 

    @poeticg said:

    I see Guice and Johnson as very similar players, Guice a better runner but Johnson the better receiver.

    Calling out dissimilarities demonstrates their similarity?

    @poeticg said:

    I'm answering you're "questions" by telling you to watch the games for yourself. Watch the way the player moves, how he reacts, his knowledge of the game, reading defenses, effecting defenses even without getting touches... and doing this without complaining about touches or carries or stats.

    So which game best demonstrates each of the five qualities you list in your learned opinion?

  • I bet Jags fans are happy their team didn't listen to the "Don't take a RB high in the 1st round, cause it's just a waste of a pick because you can find a good RB any time you want" stuff. 

  • Hey Dawgpound, what about this-

    Saquon Barkley #1 and Baker Mayfield #4? 

    That could be electric.

    @poeticg said:

    Hey Dawgpound, what about this-

    Saquon Barkley #1 and Baker Mayfield #4? 

    That could be electric.

    Yeah, shock what's left of our fanbase to death.

    But by all means, advocate for players like that.    Because "electric" wins you football games.

  • Yo Mods, can we get a pin on this? 

    @poeticg said:

    Yo Mods, can we get a pin on this? 

    Or altering the Tivoli delete the entire threadOr altering the Tivoli delete the entire thread

  • I'm not saying I'm for or against Barkley. But on its face you have to come to terms like I have that taking a running back top 5 has objectively been successful two years in a row. Fournette is an incredible difference maker in this game and we know what zeke has been doing.

  • I bet Jags fans are happy their team didn't listen to the "Don't take a RB high in the 1st round, cause it's just a waste of a pick because you can find a good RB any time you want" stuff. 

    @d-bone said:

    I bet Jags fans are happy their team didn't listen to the "Don't take a RB high in the 1st round, cause it's just a waste of a pick because you can find a good RB any time you want" stuff. 

    Fournette averaged 3.9 yards a rush.

    Crowell, his cane with a red tip and guide dog averaged better than that.

  • I'm not saying I'm for or against Barkley. But on its face you have to come to terms like I have that taking a running back top 5 has objectively been successful two years in a row. Fournette is an incredible difference maker in this game and we know what zeke has been doing.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I'm not saying I'm for or against Barkley. But on its face you have to come to terms like I have that taking a running back top 5 has objectively been successful two years in a row. Fournette is an incredible difference maker in this game and we know what zeke has been doing.

    Cam Newton and Andrew Luck went 1st round back to back.    So because that had been 'objectively successful' we should have taken Geno Smith 1st round in 13', huh?

  • I bet Jags fans are happy their team didn't listen to the "Don't take a RB high in the 1st round, cause it's just a waste of a pick because you can find a good RB any time you want" stuff. 

    @d-bone said:

    I bet Jags fans are happy their team didn't listen to the "Don't take a RB high in the 1st round, cause it's just a waste of a pick because you can find a good RB any time you want" stuff. 

    I think the Jags would be just fine had they taken Kamara or Hunt in the third.

  • @d-bone said:

    I bet Jags fans are happy their team didn't listen to the "Don't take a RB high in the 1st round, cause it's just a waste of a pick because you can find a good RB any time you want" stuff. 

    I think the Jags would be just fine had they taken Kamara or Hunt in the third.

    @roycerolls said:

    I think the Jags would be just fine had they taken Kamara or Hunt in the third.

    Maybe even Dion Lewis......... Too bad we can't ever find a player like that - oh, wait. 

  • @jrb12711 said:

    I'm not saying I'm for or against Barkley. But on its face you have to come to terms like I have that taking a running back top 5 has objectively been successful two years in a row. Fournette is an incredible difference maker in this game and we know what zeke has been doing.

    Cam Newton and Andrew Luck went 1st round back to back.    So because that had been 'objectively successful' we should have taken Geno Smith 1st round in 13', huh?

    @tiamat63 said:

    Cam Newton and Andrew Luck went 1st round back to back.    So because that had been 'objectively successful' we should have taken Geno Smith 1st round in 13', huh?

    Because that's exactly what I said! 

    Calm down dude, we get it you don't like him. It's simply worth noting that the old adage of not taking a running back high has been proven wrong two years in a row now. QB always goes high so you know that's not the same thing.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Cam Newton and Andrew Luck went 1st round back to back.    So because that had been 'objectively successful' we should have taken Geno Smith 1st round in 13', huh?

    Because that's exactly what I said! 

    Calm down dude, we get it you don't like him. It's simply worth noting that the old adage of not taking a running back high has been proven wrong two years in a row now. QB always goes high so you know that's not the same thing.

    @jrb12711 said:

    Because that's exactly what I said! 

    Calm down dude, we get it you don't like him. It's simply worth noting that the old adage of not taking a running back high has been proven wrong two years in a row now. QB always goes high so you know that's not the same thing.

    That's exactly what you were implying though, no?    What other way was there to interpret?  Also, it's a message board.  I'm plenty calm.  

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Because that's exactly what I said! 

    Calm down dude, we get it you don't like him. It's simply worth noting that the old adage of not taking a running back high has been proven wrong two years in a row now. QB always goes high so you know that's not the same thing.

    That's exactly what you were implying though, no?    What other way was there to interpret?  Also, it's a message board.  I'm plenty calm.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    That's exactly what you were implying though, no?    What other way was there to interpret?  Also, it's a message board.  I'm plenty calm.  

    I said what I was implying and the two ideas are fundamentally different. You know that.

  • You can't just take out the chunk plays war. That is not how it works. That is like saying, "Let's evaluate Kizer and his potential but let's take out his interceptions" It's all a piece to the puzzle. You can gameplan and focus on one player but still make an impact. Pass blocking, route running, drawing a defense, the factors are too numerous to list. You have to look at the whole picture bro. Take Barkley #1 and you've got an impact player that is going to challenge the defense immediately. He going to make the OL better, the QB better, the WRs better, you can't replace that with 4 okay runningbacks. 

    I'm answering you're "questions" by telling you to watch the games for yourself. Watch the way the player moves, how he reacts, his knowledge of the game, reading defenses, effecting defenses even without getting touches... and doing this without complaining about touches or carries or stats.

    My question to you is this- Did his team win those games? What do last years stats and the year before tell you when looked at as a "body of work"? 

    @poeticg said:

    You can't just take out the chunk plays war. That is not how it works. That is like saying, "Let's evaluate Kizer and his potential but let's take out his interceptions" It's all a piece to the puzzle. You can gameplan and focus on one player but still make an impact. Pass blocking, route running, drawing a defense, the factors are too numerous to list. You have to look at the whole picture bro. Take Barkley #1 and you've got an impact player that is going to challenge the defense immediately. He going to make the OL better, the QB better, the WRs better, you can't replace that with 4 okay runningbacks. 

    I'm answering you're "questions" by telling you to watch the games for yourself. Watch the way the player moves, how he reacts, his knowledge of the game, reading defenses, effecting defenses even without getting touches... and doing this without complaining about touches or carries or stats.

    My question to you is this- Did his team win those games? What do last years stats and the year before tell you when looked at as a "body of work"? 

    Big plays aren't there nearly as frequently in the NFL. What's going to earn you a job is being able to pick up yards on a DOWN TO DOWN basis. Not getting stuffed 24 times for 36 yards, then breaking a 45 yard run. That helps no one. It's absolutely a legitimate exercise to remove the long run. I looked up Trent Richardson's college stats last night too. Take out his long runs and his YPC is still relatively the same. Why? He didn't have to rely on that. He could move the chains every time he touched the ball.

    I have watched his games. I'm the CFB guru around here. This kid is outstanding, best-in-a-decade RECEIVING back. Occasionally, he makes an amazing run. He's nowhere near good enough on a down-to-down basis to justify picking him #4 for a team that just went winless.

    As for whether his team won those games. A couple of them they didn't, and I'm betting a better and more consistent rushing attack would have helped tremendously.

    @d-bone said:

    I bet Jags fans are happy their team didn't listen to the "Don't take a RB high in the 1st round, cause it's just a waste of a pick because you can find a good RB any time you want" stuff. 

    I bet , on the whole, they're more glad they signed

    AJ Bouye
    Calais Campbell
    Dante Fowler (back from injury)
    Barry church
    Dede Westbrook

    Cameron Robinson
    Healthy Myles Jack
    Marcell Darius
    Malik Jackson
    Jaelon Strong

    But yeah, Fournette's the difference between 3-13 and the AFC championship game.....

  • @poeticg said:

    You can't just take out the chunk plays war. That is not how it works. That is like saying, "Let's evaluate Kizer and his potential but let's take out his interceptions" It's all a piece to the puzzle. You can gameplan and focus on one player but still make an impact. Pass blocking, route running, drawing a defense, the factors are too numerous to list. You have to look at the whole picture bro. Take Barkley #1 and you've got an impact player that is going to challenge the defense immediately. He going to make the OL better, the QB better, the WRs better, you can't replace that with 4 okay runningbacks. 

    I'm answering you're "questions" by telling you to watch the games for yourself. Watch the way the player moves, how he reacts, his knowledge of the game, reading defenses, effecting defenses even without getting touches... and doing this without complaining about touches or carries or stats.

    My question to you is this- Did his team win those games? What do last years stats and the year before tell you when looked at as a "body of work"? 

    Big plays aren't there nearly as frequently in the NFL. What's going to earn you a job is being able to pick up yards on a DOWN TO DOWN basis. Not getting stuffed 24 times for 36 yards, then breaking a 45 yard run. That helps no one. It's absolutely a legitimate exercise to remove the long run. I looked up Trent Richardson's college stats last night too. Take out his long runs and his YPC is still relatively the same. Why? He didn't have to rely on that. He could move the chains every time he touched the ball.

    I have watched his games. I'm the CFB guru around here. This kid is outstanding, best-in-a-decade RECEIVING back. Occasionally, he makes an amazing run. He's nowhere near good enough on a down-to-down basis to justify picking him #4 for a team that just went winless.

    As for whether his team won those games. A couple of them they didn't, and I'm betting a better and more consistent rushing attack would have helped tremendously.

    @d-bone said:

    I bet Jags fans are happy their team didn't listen to the "Don't take a RB high in the 1st round, cause it's just a waste of a pick because you can find a good RB any time you want" stuff. 

    I bet , on the whole, they're more glad they signed

    AJ Bouye
    Calais Campbell
    Dante Fowler (back from injury)
    Barry church
    Dede Westbrook

    Cameron Robinson
    Healthy Myles Jack
    Marcell Darius
    Malik Jackson
    Jaelon Strong

    But yeah, Fournette's the difference between 3-13 and the AFC championship game.....

    @wargograw said:

    But yeah, Fournette's the difference between 3-13 and the AFC championship game.....

    Never said he was....... typical post from you. 

    Simply said that the Jags weren't scared off and took a good RB high like the Cowboys did and I bet their fans are happy...... Nice try on changing the narrative though, you're a solid pro at that. 

  • Who is going to be the best player on the team if we draft Saquon? 

    Josh Gordon  vs  Saquon Barkley

  • @wargograw said:

    But yeah, Fournette's the difference between 3-13 and the AFC championship game.....

    Never said he was....... typical post from you. 

    Simply said that the Jags weren't scared off and took a good RB high like the Cowboys did and I bet their fans are happy...... Nice try on changing the narrative though, you're a solid pro at that. 

    @d-bone said:

    Never said he was....... typical post from you. 

    Simply said that the Jags weren't scared off and took a good RB high like the Cowboys did and I bet their fans are happy...... Nice try on changing the narrative though, you're a solid pro at that. 

    So they're happy about something that could and likely does have very little to do with their success. 

  • Who is going to be the best player on the team if we draft Saquon? 

    Josh Gordon  vs  Saquon Barkley

    @poeticg said:

    Who is going to be the best player on the team if we draft Saquon? 

    Josh Gordon  vs  Saquon Barkley

    Our discussion's over already? 

    How does a 65 yard TD run once a game help you when the rest of time you can't muster up a yard and a half?