Skip to content

Oscars 18

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
34 7 1.4k
  • 2 CALL ME BY YOUR NAME.
    A disturbing study of a sexual relationship between a grown man and a teenage boy. The hypocrisy of the academy is staggering in this instance.

    You know I haven't seen this....and will not at your suggestion.   But please explain the hypocrisy angle.  (I am not disagreeing with you...only asking you to flesh it out)

  • 2 CALL ME BY YOUR NAME.
    A disturbing study of a sexual relationship between a grown man and a teenage boy. The hypocrisy of the academy is staggering in this instance.

    You know I haven't seen this....and will not at your suggestion.   But please explain the hypocrisy angle.  (I am not disagreeing with you...only asking you to flesh it out)

    @the-gipper said:

    2 CALL ME BY YOUR NAME.
    A disturbing study of a sexual relationship between a grown man and a teenage boy. The hypocrisy of the academy is staggering in this instance.

    You know I haven't seen this....and will not at your suggestion.   But please explain the hypocrisy angle.  (I am not disagreeing with you...only asking you to flesh it out)

    Well this is just a short recap the hypocrisy will be made more clear in the actual review but the entire plot of the film celebrates an adult grad student staying with a family for the summer and having a two-month sexual relationship with their virgin teenage son before going home to marry his fiancee.

    Just imagine that story with an adult male and a teenage girl back in the 80s...

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    2 CALL ME BY YOUR NAME.
    A disturbing study of a sexual relationship between a grown man and a teenage boy. The hypocrisy of the academy is staggering in this instance.

    You know I haven't seen this....and will not at your suggestion.   But please explain the hypocrisy angle.  (I am not disagreeing with you...only asking you to flesh it out)

    Well this is just a short recap the hypocrisy will be made more clear in the actual review but the entire plot of the film celebrates an adult grad student staying with a family for the summer and having a two-month sexual relationship with their virgin teenage son before going home to marry his fiancee.

    Just imagine that story with an adult male and a teenage girl back in the 80s...

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Well this is just a short recap the hypocrisy will be made more clear in the actual review but the entire plot of the film celebrates an adult grad student staying with a family for the summer and having a two-month sexual relationship with their virgin teenage son before going home to marry his fiancee.

    Just imagine that story with an adult male and a teenage girl back in the 80s...

    WSS

    Lolita?

  • @westside-steve said:

    Well this is just a short recap the hypocrisy will be made more clear in the actual review but the entire plot of the film celebrates an adult grad student staying with a family for the summer and having a two-month sexual relationship with their virgin teenage son before going home to marry his fiancee.

    Just imagine that story with an adult male and a teenage girl back in the 80s...

    WSS

    Lolita?

    @the-gipper said:

    Lolita?

    Firestorm of opposition. Banned in many places. Your point?

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    Lolita?

    Firestorm of opposition. Banned in many places. Your point?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Firestorm of opposition. Banned in many places. Your point?

    WSS

    Would it have been considered the equivalent of this movie...story wise...except with a teenage girl?

  • I suggest you either watch it or read my review on it comes out then you can bicker about it.

    WSS

  • I suggest you either watch it or read my review on it comes out then you can bicker about it.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I suggest you either watch it or read my review on it comes out then you can bicker about it.

    WSS

    I am not bickering at all.  Just trying to put it in context with what you said...and trying to bring in a potential comparative story...except with a female.

  • @westside-steve said:

    I suggest you either watch it or read my review on it comes out then you can bicker about it.

    WSS

    I am not bickering at all.  Just trying to put it in context with what you said...and trying to bring in a potential comparative story...except with a female.

    @the-gipper said:

    I am not bickering at all.  Just trying to put it in context with what you said...and trying to bring in a potential comparative story...except with a female.

    It's different enough to make the bickering nonsense.

    First of all Lolita was actually 12 then 14 when she was banged.

    Second the critics and public threw a fit.

    3rd for the film version came out Stanley Kubrick couldn't do hardly anything he wanted due to the Stranglehold of the censors.

     4th the book is French and in France they only recently started to ponder whether should be any age limit for sex. And the number they bandied about was 13.

    Fifth if you are completely unaware of The Firestorm created by a 24 year old lawyer dating an 18 year old girl...

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am not bickering at all.  Just trying to put it in context with what you said...and trying to bring in a potential comparative story...except with a female.

    It's different enough to make the bickering nonsense.

    First of all Lolita was actually 12 then 14 when she was banged.

    Second the critics and public threw a fit.

    3rd for the film version came out Stanley Kubrick couldn't do hardly anything he wanted due to the Stranglehold of the censors.

     4th the book is French and in France they only recently started to ponder whether should be any age limit for sex. And the number they bandied about was 13.

    Fifth if you are completely unaware of The Firestorm created by a 24 year old lawyer dating an 18 year old girl...

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    It's different enough to make the bickering nonsense.

    First of all Lolita was actually 12 then 14 when she was banged.

    Second the critics and public threw a fit.

    3rd for the film version came out Stanley Kubrick couldn't do hardly anything he wanted due to the Stranglehold of the censors.

     4th the book is French and in France they only recently started to ponder whether should be any age limit for sex. And the number they bandied about was 13.

    Fifth if you are completely unaware of The Firestorm created by a 24 year old lawyer dating an 18 year old girl...

    WSS

    You are just bickering with yourself over this.

  • Once again the Oscars denies that nod to Tom Hanks. Must have some kind of hatred for him? Really very much showing favorites.

  • Once again the Oscars denies that nod to Tom Hanks. Must have some kind of hatred for him? Really very much showing favorites.

    @jppt1974 said:

    Once again the Oscars denies that nod to Tom Hanks. Must have some kind of hatred for him? Really very much showing favorites.

    JP not sure who you are referring to but in my opinion you can't nominate Tom Hanks for everything he does. I think he's very good in some things okay in others,  but you have to admit most of his characters are the same, and I really didn't think he did anything amazing in the post.

    Giving a nomination to the kid from get out was an absolute  PC disgrace. And NOT giving one to James Franco was terrible 

    WSS

    Edited

  • Yeah as it is the same if you stop and think about it. And really a kid was indeed that! In the absolute PC disgrace.

  • I'm just glad 'get out' didn't win a bunch of awards

  • I'm just glad 'get out' didn't win a bunch of awards

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I'm just glad 'get out' didn't win a bunch of awards

    No kidding. That was a B movie at best.

    The race card they played was unnecessary and the only reason it got any attention. And nominating that kid for best actor was a joke.

    WSS

  • Racist! 

    Rotten tomatoes has judged black panther the finest film in the history of cinema so that ought to tell you basically where we are. Any movie that's centered around black people is going to be graded on a curve. They actually put black panther as #1 and get out as #5 therefore invalidating the ability to take Rotten Tomatoes seriously for the rest of time. 

    https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/marvel/amp/2018/02/20/black-panther-ranked-best-movie-all-time-rotten-tomatoes/

  • Racist! 

    Rotten tomatoes has judged black panther the finest film in the history of cinema so that ought to tell you basically where we are. Any movie that's centered around black people is going to be graded on a curve. They actually put black panther as #1 and get out as #5 therefore invalidating the ability to take Rotten Tomatoes seriously for the rest of time. 

    https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/marvel/amp/2018/02/20/black-panther-ranked-best-movie-all-time-rotten-tomatoes/

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Racist! 

    Rotten tomatoes has judged black panther the finest film in the history of cinema so that ought to tell you basically where we are. Any movie that's centered around black people is going to be graded on a curve. They actually put black panther as #1 and get out as #5 therefore invalidating the ability to take Rotten Tomatoes seriously for the rest of time. 

    https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/marvel/amp/2018/02/20/black-panther-ranked-best-movie-all-time-rotten-tomatoes/

    Of course I think Rotten Tomatoes rating system is only the morons that go see the movies. Maybe critics are involved but I'm not sure. I don't know if you saw a black panther but it was ridiculous. The problem is they had cameras up at the Valley View Cinemark interviewing African Americans coming out who were thrilled that finally the truth was being told. 

    Don't misunderstand me, it wasn't any worse than most of the superhero movies but it did have it's racial agenda to preach. Had that country bin in Eastern Europe and the natives are blonde folks would have rightly thought of it as a joke.

    WSS

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Racist! 

    Rotten tomatoes has judged black panther the finest film in the history of cinema so that ought to tell you basically where we are. Any movie that's centered around black people is going to be graded on a curve. They actually put black panther as #1 and get out as #5 therefore invalidating the ability to take Rotten Tomatoes seriously for the rest of time. 

    https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/marvel/amp/2018/02/20/black-panther-ranked-best-movie-all-time-rotten-tomatoes/

    Of course I think Rotten Tomatoes rating system is only the morons that go see the movies. Maybe critics are involved but I'm not sure. I don't know if you saw a black panther but it was ridiculous. The problem is they had cameras up at the Valley View Cinemark interviewing African Americans coming out who were thrilled that finally the truth was being told. 

    Don't misunderstand me, it wasn't any worse than most of the superhero movies but it did have it's racial agenda to preach. Had that country bin in Eastern Europe and the natives are blonde folks would have rightly thought of it as a joke.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Of course I think Rotten Tomatoes rating system is only the morons that go see the movies. Maybe critics are involved but I'm not sure. I don't know if you saw a black panther but it was ridiculous. The problem is they had cameras up at the Valley View Cinemark interviewing African Americans coming out who were thrilled that finally the truth was being told. 

    Don't misunderstand me, it wasn't any worse than most of the superhero movies but it did have it's racial agenda to preach. Had that country bin in Eastern Europe and the natives are blonde folks would have rightly thought of it as a joke.

    WSS

    I've got a friend I went to school with who is all black panther all the time right now. I had to snooze him on Facebook because it's so obnoxious. 

    @westside-steve said:

    Of course I think Rotten Tomatoes rating system is only the morons that go see the movies. Maybe critics are involved but I'm not sure. I don't know if you saw a black panther but it was ridiculous. The problem is they had cameras up at the Valley View Cinemark interviewing African Americans coming out who were thrilled that finally the truth was being told. 

    Don't misunderstand me, it wasn't any worse than most of the superhero movies but it did have it's racial agenda to preach. Had that country bin in Eastern Europe and the natives are blonde folks would have rightly thought of it as a joke.

    WSS

    It's all critics. There is a fan rating but only the critical ratings count toward it's final score. 

    The real skinny of course is that it's only graded as highly as it is because no one wants to be the guy who says the black people movie was pretty ordinary and not spectacular. 

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theroot.com/are-white-film-critics-grading-black-panther-on-a-curve-1823166866/amp

  • Image result for Black Panther pic

  • I agree that it seems that some people are imputing a racial agenda to the movie that was not really there. 

  • I agree that it seems that some people are imputing a racial agenda to the movie that was not really there. 

    @the-gipper said:

    I agree that it seems that some people are imputing a racial agenda to the movie that was not really there. 

    I think you are purposely being obtuse. No idea why that might be.

    WSS