Skip to content

Barkley at #1?

Locked The Browns Board
499 53 13.9k 1
  • @boo-fagley said:

    Ist overall picks

    Smith - 0 super bowls

    Luck - 0 super bowls

    Stafford - 0 super bowls

    Manning - 2 super bowls

    25% odds of hitting it right aint good odds to me.

    Do you realize how many teams win superbowls with starting RBs that didn’t get drafted at all?

    Shmuck, the Eagles just won the Super Bowl with 2 undrafted RBs and a 5th rounder that they traded for..... 

    Willie Parker, Dominique Rhodes, Mike Bell, Pierre Thomas, LeGarette Blount, Corey Clement were all undrafted, and all have a Super Bowl ring that’s less than 15 years old.

    theres also a lot of guys who were taken near the middle/end of the draft who made major contributions to Super Bowl wins. Brandon Jacobs (4th) James White (4th) Ahmad Bradshaw (7th) Jay Ajayi (5th) James Starks (6th)

    It isn’t even an apples to apples discussion because while you’re listing #1 overall QBs who don’t have Super Bowl rings, the last RB to go #1 overall is old enough to be a father to guys looking to sign their second contract in the NFL, and he was a bust.  

    Ill be here waiting to hear about the long snapper you guys want to draft at #1.

    @roycerolls said:

    Ill be here waiting to hear about the long snapper you guys want to draft at #1.

    😆 Are you really throwing me into that company Royce?  My intentions with this topic aren't to freak people out - just something to talk about.  The careful use of rethinking in the heading shows I came from your thought process about the RB position. There's just a couple things I see that are getting me to look at the bigger picture of the player more than the position and what it could mean to recruiting a veteran QB. I'm not going to lose any sleep if we go another route at all.

    As for the 1st round RBs in Superbowls - there's a ton of them like Franco Harris with 4, Emmitt Smith with 3, Larry Csonka with 3, Paul Hornung with 1, Jerome Bettis with 2, Tony Dorsett with 1, John Riggins with 1, Reggie Bush with 1, Jamal Lewis with 1, Marcus Allen with 1, Shaun Alexander 1, and there's way more but there's plenty of examples to satisfy both side of that debate so moving on....

    @roycerolls said:

    They’d better not tell fa recruits what they’re going to do in the draft. If they don’t end up signing, the cat is out of the bag, may well be out of the bag either way. Secondly, since the contract would be signed before the draft starts, they could just say “hey, we will get Barkley if you sign here” and then still make the smart choice of a QB at #1. If Barkley is gone at 4, say “oh well, we tried, you’re under contract, let’s play ball” 

    Yeah, we'd definitely have to be smart about it as in a close the sale only type of thing or something along the line of your idea.

  • @the-gipper said:

    The exact quote was that Emmit Smith was the last RB to lead a team to a championship 20 years ago. Its happened as recently as 2013. 

    OK, just who was that?

    Emmitt Smith also had a star QB from UCLA. 

    We can get one this draft. 

    @sd_tom said:

    Emmitt Smith also had a star QB from UCLA. 

    We can get one this draft. 

    I thought he meant that it was a RB who "lead" a team to the Super Bowl win in 2013.  Who was that?

  • Whether you are in or out on Barkley (doesn't matter to me), I must admit to both sides I have been so wrong on him.

    I was told that he would run sub 4.3 in 40. I read where he ran a 4.4 (still very fast), but I failed to realize that the clock was broken when he ran at the combine

    I was told he was strongest RB to ever grace the scene, he did 29 reps ( that is GREAT, especially for a RB), but just a couple years ago a back did 32. I just received an update, Saquon did his bench one handed.

    I heard a little birdie say he had a good game against Ohio State. He had 21 carries for 44 yards, including a 36 yard TD. I assumed that wasn't a very good average, but then I went back and looked at the tape, and it was rather impressive considering Ohio State played with 15 on the field, and Penn State only had 1 lineman.

    It rang in my head like a drum how great of a receiving back he was. He had 102 catches for 1195 yards (11.7 average) and 8 TDs for his career. That shows his ability over someone like Michel who over the same amount of time had 64 catches for 621 yards (9.7 average) and 6 TDs for his career. Then I remembered that Barkley was the feature back, and Michel split time with another high prospect in Nick Chubb, who himself in 3 years (just like Barkley and Michel) had 31 catches for 361 yards (11.6 average) and 4 TDs. So adding up Penn State backfield vs Georgia backfield was 102 catches, 1195 yards and 8 TDs vs 95 catches, 982 yards, and 10 touchdowns. I thought about it though, and figured I would look at the careers in college of the top 3 backs in the league (as they are multi dimensional). Todd Gurley: 65 catches, 615 yards (9.5 average) and 6 TDs, Zeke: 58 catches, 449 yards (7.7 average) and 1 TD, Leveon Bell: 78 catches, 531 yards (6.8 average) and 1 TD. So I assumed just like those top NFL backs that these college guys have the ability to catch, even though they didn't do it as much in college. But then I had to remember that Barkley had McSorley throwing to him, and that hurt him, while these other guys had future HOF as their QBs, because Gurley had Aaron Murray, Zeke had JT Barrett, and Bell had Cousins and Cook.

    So you guys, again I was wrong. SUPERMAN BARKLEY is worth 2 1st rounders, he has the best characteristics from Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, and Ladanian Tomlinson rolled all into one. And if the Quarterback the Browns get at #4 doesn't pan out, Todd Haley will just tailor his offense entirely around Barkley. A lot of Wild Dawg Pound. I'll bet Barkley has a better arm than Josh Allen or John Elway, and the brain of Peyton Manning. I am now locking it up, Barkley at #1. He will rush for 2400 yards and 20 TD's and catch 120 balls and 10 TDs. And he will also return 8 kickoffs for TD.

  • @gunz41 said:

    You're right, you are always right. Get that resume ready and I will find you that application for GM, you can either replace the "coffee fetcher" or Belichek when he retires. Or better yet, and dont have to wait, be Gettlemen assistant and he can listen to all your infinite wisdom. You will have Superman Barkley, should win 190 games in a row, even with the little league QB to replace Manning

    Can I count on you for a reference?

    @boo-fagley said:

    Can I count on you for a reference?

    Yep. But don't think you want me as a reference, the countless years of my involvement in the game obviously didn't give me any knowledge. Just putting my name down will hurt you.

  • @roycerolls said:

    Ill be here waiting to hear about the long snapper you guys want to draft at #1.

    😆 Are you really throwing me into that company Royce?  My intentions with this topic aren't to freak people out - just something to talk about.  The careful use of rethinking in the heading shows I came from your thought process about the RB position. There's just a couple things I see that are getting me to look at the bigger picture of the player more than the position and what it could mean to recruiting a veteran QB. I'm not going to lose any sleep if we go another route at all.

    As for the 1st round RBs in Superbowls - there's a ton of them like Franco Harris with 4, Emmitt Smith with 3, Larry Csonka with 3, Paul Hornung with 1, Jerome Bettis with 2, Tony Dorsett with 1, John Riggins with 1, Reggie Bush with 1, Jamal Lewis with 1, Marcus Allen with 1, Shaun Alexander 1, and there's way more but there's plenty of examples to satisfy both side of that debate so moving on....

    @roycerolls said:

    They’d better not tell fa recruits what they’re going to do in the draft. If they don’t end up signing, the cat is out of the bag, may well be out of the bag either way. Secondly, since the contract would be signed before the draft starts, they could just say “hey, we will get Barkley if you sign here” and then still make the smart choice of a QB at #1. If Barkley is gone at 4, say “oh well, we tried, you’re under contract, let’s play ball” 

    Yeah, we'd definitely have to be smart about it as in a close the sale only type of thing or something along the line of your idea.

    @flugel said:

    😆 Are you really throwing me into that company Royce?  My intentions with this topic aren't to freak people out - just something to talk about.  The careful use of rethinking in the heading shows I came from your thought process about the RB position. There's just a couple things I see that are getting me to look at the bigger picture of the player more than the position and what it could mean to recruiting a veteran QB. I'm not going to lose any sleep if we go another route at all.

    As for the 1st round RBs in Superbowls - there's a ton of them like Franco Harris with 4, Emmitt Smith with 3, Larry Csonka with 3, Paul Hornung with 1, Jerome Bettis with 2, Tony Dorsett with 1, John Riggins with 1, Reggie Bush with 1, Jamal Lewis with 1, Marcus Allen with 1, Shaun Alexander 1, and there's way more but there's plenty of examples to satisfy both side of that debate so moving on....

    Yeah, we'd definitely have to be smart about it as in a close the sale only type of thing or something along the line of your idea.

    Those first round QBs you listed were mostly from a different era, but also had a legit QB, and defense. Saying Reggie bush won a super bowl is like saying Kenny Britt won an afc title with the pats. The fact that the saints relied heavily on two undrafted RBs while their second overall selection contributed 5 yards serves my argument. No one will ever convince me that a generational RB will ever have the same impact as a top ten QB in any given year. 

    Edit: I’m not saying you believe, RB is more important than QB, but the browns don’t have the luxury of pretending that all positions are created equal. They need to be bull-headed and go all in on whichever QB they believe will be a franchise guy. I’ve spent years watching the Browns make excuses for not going all in on solving the QB position while other teams seemed to figure it out. 

  • @roycerolls said:

    Ill be here waiting to hear about the long snapper you guys want to draft at #1.

    😆 Are you really throwing me into that company Royce?  My intentions with this topic aren't to freak people out - just something to talk about.  The careful use of rethinking in the heading shows I came from your thought process about the RB position. There's just a couple things I see that are getting me to look at the bigger picture of the player more than the position and what it could mean to recruiting a veteran QB. I'm not going to lose any sleep if we go another route at all.

    As for the 1st round RBs in Superbowls - there's a ton of them like Franco Harris with 4, Emmitt Smith with 3, Larry Csonka with 3, Paul Hornung with 1, Jerome Bettis with 2, Tony Dorsett with 1, John Riggins with 1, Reggie Bush with 1, Jamal Lewis with 1, Marcus Allen with 1, Shaun Alexander 1, and there's way more but there's plenty of examples to satisfy both side of that debate so moving on....

    @roycerolls said:

    They’d better not tell fa recruits what they’re going to do in the draft. If they don’t end up signing, the cat is out of the bag, may well be out of the bag either way. Secondly, since the contract would be signed before the draft starts, they could just say “hey, we will get Barkley if you sign here” and then still make the smart choice of a QB at #1. If Barkley is gone at 4, say “oh well, we tried, you’re under contract, let’s play ball” 

    Yeah, we'd definitely have to be smart about it as in a close the sale only type of thing or something along the line of your idea.

    @flugel said:

    😆 Are you really throwing me into that company Royce?  My intentions with this topic aren't to freak people out - just something to talk about.  The careful use of rethinking in the heading shows I came from your thought process about the RB position. There's just a couple things I see that are getting me to look at the bigger picture of the player more than the position and what it could mean to recruiting a veteran QB. I'm not going to lose any sleep if we go another route at all.

    As for the 1st round RBs in Superbowls - there's a ton of them like Franco Harris with 4, Emmitt Smith with 3, Larry Csonka with 3, Paul Hornung with 1, Jerome Bettis with 2, Tony Dorsett with 1, John Riggins with 1, Reggie Bush with 1, Jamal Lewis with 1, Marcus Allen with 1, Shaun Alexander 1, and there's way more but there's plenty of examples to satisfy both side of that debate so moving on....

    Yeah, we'd definitely have to be smart about it as in a close the sale only type of thing or something along the line of your idea.

    I dont even think it is a bad idea taking him, even though most won't agree that is my view. But there are SO many things to contradict people's talk.

    And you bring up all those names. And all but Bush (who wasn't the starter right) were in the era of teams playing more smashmouth football. That is way more geared to how I view the game, but unfortunately the game has changed to a pass happy league.

  • @sd_tom said:

    Emmitt Smith also had a star QB from UCLA. 

    We can get one this draft. 

    I thought he meant that it was a RB who "lead" a team to the Super Bowl win in 2013.  Who was that?

    @the-gipper said:

    I thought he meant that it was a RB who "lead" a team to the Super Bowl win in 2013.  Who was that?

    Ray Rice? I think Flacco was a bigger factor. 

  • @sd_tom said:

    Emmitt Smith also had a star QB from UCLA. 

    We can get one this draft. 

    I thought he meant that it was a RB who "lead" a team to the Super Bowl win in 2013.  Who was that?

    @the-gipper said:

    I thought he meant that it was a RB who "lead" a team to the Super Bowl win in 2013.  Who was that?

    Marshawn Lynch is probably the RB in question.

    However, the 2013 Seachickens had a decent QB and a damned good defense to boot.

  • @orion said:

    The King is useless (he would be Hue)

    The queen is the most valuable piece on the chess board.....and for you that's a running back.  That's who you say is the most valuable person on the football field.  BUT, to the rest of the football world, it's the QB that's the most valuable.  

    The Queen can go anywhere on the board like a RB. The King stays back behind the Pawns.

    The King is Josh Allen and the Queen Barkley.

    @boo-fagley said:

    The King is Josh Allen and the Queen Barkley.

    The queen (QB) can push the ball to just about any place on the field.

    Bottom line, the QB is FAR and AWAY the most important person on the football team.  (including coaches)

    The RB is a mere accessory that can be had in almost any round.

    Put Barkley on our team last year and he gains crap for yardage.....because the D's would just stack him and bottle him.  If ya got no QB, ya got nothin'!

  • @sd_tom said:

    Emmitt Smith also had a star QB from UCLA. 

    We can get one this draft. 

    I thought he meant that it was a RB who "lead" a team to the Super Bowl win in 2013.  Who was that?

    @the-gipper said:

    I thought he meant that it was a RB who "lead" a team to the Super Bowl win in 2013.  Who was that?

    Ah- he's most likely talking Marshawn Lynch. Looking at his career stats, he's probably HOF material. But as Walter Payton before him with Da Bears- the Seattle defense was as much responsible for the Super Bowl win, and responsible for getting them there in the first place. Cam Chancellor and Richard Sherman in their prime. I just watched the highlights of that Super Bowl, and the Seahawks defense came up with a couple interceptions (one a pick 6) and a forced fumble. I wasn't aware Lynch played defense. 

  • After thinking, I still have to hang my hat on drafting a QB (BM?) at #1. If we like SB that much, is trading up from 4 something the Browns may consider?

    We'll see!

    Mike 

  • I guess someone with erasing powers didn't think to much of my post. Or maybe they realized I was telling truths and didn't want to admit it so they erased it.

    O well. Good for them

  • Do tell!

  • @hoorta said:

    OK forgot about Faulk, my bad. I said "generational" RBs. That means to my mind a once in a 20 year talent, not a once in every 3-5 year talent. A guy who you can put in the conversation with the GOATs- the Browns, Payton's, and Sanders. Faulk, Tomlinson, and certainly not Lynch aren't on that level. So, Boo you want to tell me that Saquon will be on the GOAT level, since you're saying draft him #1 overall? Plenty of game tape to the contrary? Plenty of history showing a HOF QB trumps HOF RB?  I'll even put Barkley on Adrian Peterson level for comparison, he'd be a nice complimentary piece on the Browns if we already had our franchise quarterback, too bad we DON'T.

    PS regarding Seattle and Beast Mode, (as with Payton and the Bears) he can thank the Legion of Boom for getting them there.

    Well, hell. Look what I found.

    However, if the Browns snag the quarterback that the Giants view as the best in this class, a generational talent at running back in Penn State's Saquon Barkley could ignite a Giants' offense that is already loaded with talented playmakers such as Odell Beckham Jr., Sterling Shepard, and Evan Engram.  http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/03/giants_nfl_draft_big_board_ranking_top-5_prospects.html#incart_river_index

    Barkley is the missing piece to the Giants puzzle. Not QB right now.

    @boo-fagley said:

    Well, hell. Look what I found.

    However, if the Browns snag the quarterback that the Giants view as the best in this class, a generational talent at running back in Penn State's Saquon Barkley could ignite a Giants' offense that is already loaded with talented playmakers such as Odell Beckham Jr., Sterling Shepard, and Evan Engram.  http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/03/giants_nfl_draft_big_board_ranking_top-5_prospects.html#incart_river_index

    Barkley is the missing piece to the Giants puzzle. Not QB right now.

    Well you've seen at Penn State Barkley can't play OL... so fat chance the Gmen get their offense "ignited" without addressing their massive problems up front.  

  • No way we take a RB NO. 1.  We take a QB.  End of cowpoop. Next.

  • I can’t wait until we don’t have to hear about drafting a RB #1 the Retardation levels are getting dangerously high. 

  • I'm starting to sense a rumbling growl deep inside the Dawgpound. Dogs do what dogs do. Dogs do dog things. Dog recognize dog and somehow we are drawn together... Be it destiny, be it fate. 

    I'm excited because this is only the beginning for this dog. This dog is never satisfied. Never sated and always hungry for success at every level, at every endeavor.

    I've always thought that Cleveland needed a Superman. Saquon might not be Superman, but he's got an "S" on his chest and he's fittin to try his best... No, not Superman... but he's damn close, closest we're going to find for a long time. 

    He's an alpha dog, he'll get the locker room and the team in a frenzy! He's the type of player that guys rally around. They play better, harder. They see him and it inspires them to go above and beyond for the team and the game. Players like Peppers, Coleman, Gordon, Njoku, Devalve and Duke Johnson are going to excel and grow. 

    From the first time I saw Barkley I thought that he reminded me of a kid that plays for my soccer team. This kid is amazing, he gives the other kids hope. He raises their ability and belief that they can win just by being on his team. It's easy to spot when you know what to look for. Barkley is a General. 

  • I'm starting to sense a rumbling growl deep inside the Dawgpound. Dogs do what dogs do. Dogs do dog things. Dog recognize dog and somehow we are drawn together... Be it destiny, be it fate. 

    I'm excited because this is only the beginning for this dog. This dog is never satisfied. Never sated and always hungry for success at every level, at every endeavor.

    I've always thought that Cleveland needed a Superman. Saquon might not be Superman, but he's got an "S" on his chest and he's fittin to try his best... No, not Superman... but he's damn close, closest we're going to find for a long time. 

    He's an alpha dog, he'll get the locker room and the team in a frenzy! He's the type of player that guys rally around. They play better, harder. They see him and it inspires them to go above and beyond for the team and the game. Players like Peppers, Coleman, Gordon, Njoku, Devalve and Duke Johnson are going to excel and grow. 

    From the first time I saw Barkley I thought that he reminded me of a kid that plays for my soccer team. This kid is amazing, he gives the other kids hope. He raises their ability and belief that they can win just by being on his team. It's easy to spot when you know what to look for. Barkley is a General. 

    @poeticg said:

    I'm starting to sense a rumbling growl deep inside the Dawgpound. Dogs do what dogs do. Dogs do dog things. Dog recognize dog and somehow we are drawn together... Be it destiny, be it fate. 

    I'm excited because this is only the beginning for this dog. This dog is never satisfied. Never sated and always hungry for success at every level, at every endeavor.

    I've always thought that Cleveland needed a Superman. Saquon might not be Superman, but he's got an "S" on his chest and he's fittin to try his best... No, not Superman... but he's damn close, closest we're going to find for a long time. 

    He's an alpha dog, he'll get the locker room and the team in a frenzy! He's the type of player that guys rally around. They play better, harder. They see him and it inspires them to go above and beyond for the team and the game. Players like Peppers, Coleman, Gordon, Njoku, Devalve and Duke Johnson are going to excel and grow. 

    From the first time I saw Barkley I thought that he reminded me of a kid that plays for my soccer team. This kid is amazing, he gives the other kids hope. He raises their ability and belief that they can win just by being on his team. It's easy to spot when you know what to look for. Barkley is a General. 

    Backtracking I see from your earlier talk. Smart, because NOBODY could live up to those statements and expectations