Greg Cosell Breaks Down Top 2018 QBs
-
1. Chubb
4. Fitzpatrick/Barkley/Nelson
Now you have 2 great players, no worries, no pressure, just huge improvement to your team. No concern that you might have made wrong choice and struck out again with top picks. You go home and sleep well at end of Day 1 of the draft.
Take best QB out of Rudolph, Jackson, White, Falk, Lauletta, and let them learn behind your starter. If they fail to materialize, you repeat process in a year or two, while building the very best team based on continuing taking BPA with every pick, instead of gambling on question mark QBs. Use you 2nd or 3rd round picks to gamble on QBs, not high first rounders on the likes in this draft. None of these top 4 would be considered top picks in any other year in my opinion. As pointed out already, the good starting QBs along with OL, RB, WR can all be had in 2nd-4th rounds.
1. Chubb
4. Fitzpatrick/Barkley/Nelson
Now you have 2 great players, no worries, no pressure, just huge improvement to your team. No concern that you might have made wrong choice and struck out again with top picks. You go home and sleep well at end of Day 1 of the draft.
Take best QB out of Rudolph, Jackson, White, Falk, Lauletta, and let them learn behind your starter. If they fail to materialize, you repeat process in a year or two, while building the very best team based on continuing taking BPA with every pick, instead of gambling on question mark QBs. Use you 2nd or 3rd round picks to gamble on QBs, not high first rounders on the likes in this draft. None of these top 4 would be considered top picks in any other year in my opinion. As pointed out already, the good starting QBs along with OL, RB, WR can all be had in 2nd-4th rounds.
As much as you would think so....this is NOT outside the realm of possibility.....though the Browns would be skewered...for...again, not getting their perceived franchise QBOTF.
-
Same here.
I wanted Rosen at #1 until I found out about the concussions.
Now, I'm all in on Baker Mayfield at #1.
I've got Mayfield as my fave this week
.
FWIW, all of the top QBs have things to be concerned about:
With Darnold, it's not just the mechanics that give me the heebees. I've seen a bunch of replays where he's holding the ball knee trying to get out of the pocket prior to defenders slapping it out of his hands. At what point does the repetitive trend = practice made perfect/instinct? The ole saying the NFL will just coach that bad habit away at the more challenging level doesn't always unfold as promised.
Allen looks like a Foxworthy punchline when he's playing against corners and pass rushers. That's why he threw more TD passes at the Combine than he did his entire 2017 season. But hold on a second - can you believe HE LOVES FOOTBALL? That changes everything Now, the same John Elway that sandwiched in excessive adoration for Paxton Lynch in between falling for Brock Osweiler twice - is feeling some groinal warming for thos 1 QB that LOVES football. If we combined Brandon Weeden's brain with Josh Allen's we'd have a sum of 3 brain cells. Now for the bad news, 2's company - 3's a crowd. Marijuana is legal in Colorado and John Elway has been smoking it in the 2018 version of Rocky Mountain High. So far, Peyton Manning is the only QB Elway got right.
Rosen has a lot of great attributes for a QB like IQ in particular as well as the ideal mechanics and other assets Cosell spoke highly of. That said, the concussion volume doesn't go away and I worry about his durability when I look at how skinny his upper body is. I've moved him ahead of Darnold and just behind Mayfield.
Mayfield doesn't move like Russell Wilson at all IMO. His elusiveness is from a great pocket presence that comes from his pre-snap vision/intellect. BUT, the NFL has a way of challenging QBs his height. People tend to forget nothing came easy to Drew Brees in his 1st 3 NFL seasons or SD wouldn't have drafted a QB 1st overall heading into his 4th year. Good thing Philip Rivers held out the length of training camp or Brees might not have made his 1st Pro Bowl with a 12-4 record in 2004. I remember the concern was how good he'd see taking snaps from Center. Speaking of 2004, SD finally drafted a shot gun Center Nick Hardwick from Purdue (same program Brees played in) and Brees looked way more comfortable with his pre-snap reads. Just my opinion but I think that was the biggest difference maker. I think we can do something similar for Baker if necessary.
-
Here's a link to a 13 minute video where Nathan Zegura gets Greg Cosell to break down the top rated QBs headed for the 2018 draft from www.clevelandbrowns.com:
I like to hear to what he's looking for in particular. And somewhere around the 12 minute 50 sec mark or so - he reveals who he would take if pressed to do so. If you watch it, I'm interested in hearing what you thought or who you might be interested in (and you can do a 1A and 1B).
Obviously Greg Cosell is a very smart man...

Simplest way to put it is that Rosen has the highest floor and a ceiling that is indistinguishable from any of the other top prospects. That's why he is IMO the clear pick. I wish I thought we were going to take him #1 overall.
After some gap follows Mayfield on my QB Board. Football-wise I liked everything he showed on tape except an ability to go thru progressions. Just saw a lot of pre-snap determining where he was going to look and he stayed locked on that choice until it either came open or it was time to bail out of the pocket. I think this is going to be our choice.
Considering Darnold in the top half of Round 1 is a joke. Darnold is so mechanically flawed.
Allen? Dumb as a bag of rocks. A perfect choice at #22...
Obviously Greg Cosell is a very smart man...

Simplest way to put it is that Rosen has the highest floor and a ceiling that is indistinguishable from any of the other top prospects. That's why he is IMO the clear pick. I wish I thought we were going to take him #1 overall.
After some gap follows Mayfield on my QB Board. Football-wise I liked everything he showed on tape except an ability to go thru progressions. Just saw a lot of pre-snap determining where he was going to look and he stayed locked on that choice until it either came open or it was time to bail out of the pocket. I think this is going to be our choice.
Considering Darnold in the top half of Round 1 is a joke. Darnold is so mechanically flawed.
Allen? Dumb as a bag of rocks. A perfect choice at #22...
Tour- if Rosen didn't already have two concussions, he'd be at the top of my board also. You probably know I've been sold on Mayfield as Brees II for a long time...
1. Chubb
4. Fitzpatrick/Barkley/Nelson
Now you have 2 great players, no worries, no pressure, just huge improvement to your team. No concern that you might have made wrong choice and struck out again with top picks. You go home and sleep well at end of Day 1 of the draft.
Take best QB out of Rudolph, Jackson, White, Falk, Lauletta, and let them learn behind your starter. If they fail to materialize, you repeat process in a year or two, while building the very best team based on continuing taking BPA with every pick, instead of gambling on question mark QBs. Use you 2nd or 3rd round picks to gamble on QBs, not high first rounders on the likes in this draft. None of these top 4 would be considered top picks in any other year in my opinion. As pointed out already, the good starting QBs along with OL, RB, WR can all be had in 2nd-4th rounds.
We've been down this road before. Quinn, Weeden, Manziel, Kizer, Frye, Kessler were "gambles" that got us nowhere. So you improve enough with your top prospects- and your bargain basement QBs busts- you're not in the position to take a top guy anymore. I think this is the year Dorsey is going to swing for the fences- the Bengals busted for years with guys like Dave Kingler, Jeff Blake, and Akilli Smith- until they got it right with Carson Palmer- I expect the Browns to do the same. No "sure" things Chubb could be another Courtney Brown. Barkley could be another Richardson.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login