Skip to content

All Saquon, all the Time...

Locked The Browns Board
303 28 8.7k 2
  • @poeticg said:

    #1 Overall  - 100% 

    I just read that the NFL is going to change the rule that you can't strike with your helmet. Good Shmucking luck trying to bring down Barkley at all next year. Without defenses targeting his tree trunk legs, it's going to be funny as hell to see the number of defenders shitting their pants and have to actually try to tackle him. 

    NFL defenses are going to be "shitting their pants" trying to tackle Barkley, when NCAA defenses held him under 100 yards a game last season on the regular? 

    Interesting.

    @dutch-oven said:

    NFL defenses are going to be "shitting their pants" trying to tackle Barkley, when NCAA defenses held him under 100 yards a game last season on the regular? 

    Interesting.

    Don't confuse pipsqueakG with facts like that...it makes his little head hurt.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    NFL defenses are going to be "shitting their pants" trying to tackle Barkley, when NCAA defenses held him under 100 yards a game last season on the regular? 

    Interesting.

    Don't confuse pipsqueakG with facts like that...it makes his little head hurt.

    @mark-o said:

    Don't confuse pipsqueakG with facts like that...it makes his little head hurt.

    Ironically PatheticG's little head hurts whenever he thinks about Barkley - all the blood rushes to it. 

  • He totaled 5,557 all-purpose yards in his three year collegiate career.

    Nice try PG (Peanut Gallery) Fans.

  • He totaled 5,557 all-purpose yards in his three year collegiate career.

    Nice try PG (Peanut Gallery) Fans.

    @poeticg said:

    He totaled 5,557 all-purpose yards in his three year collegiate career.

    Nice try PG (Peanut Gallery) Fans.

    Oh... Saquon... you... have... so... many... all-purpose... yards... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... 

    stan dad.jpg

  • Saquon Barkley played in 38 games. In those 38 games he managed to pick up a total of 5,557 yards. What is his average yards per game?

    - I'll just put it here for you since I don't expect a straight answer... 146 yards per game average. 

  • You guys are soooo.... special to me 😉

    Here's your boy Sony Michel's numbers last year.... what was that you were saying about Barkley? What is that, 7 catches all year? What is that game with 2.3 yards per carry? I see at least 5 games where he didn't get 10 carries... hmm, more than one can play this little game... 

    2017 Game Log Rushing Receiving
    DATE OPP RESULT   ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD
    9/2 Appalachian State W 31-10 16 87 5.4 44 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
    9/9 @Notre Dame W 20-19 13 73 5.6 17 1 1 -2 -2.0 0 0
    9/16 Samford W 42-14 No statistics available.
    9/23 Mississippi State W 31-3 7 32 4.6 8 0 1 3 3.0 3 0
    9/30 @Tennessee W 41-0 11 64 5.8 21 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
    10/7 @Vanderbilt W 45-14 12 150 12.5 50 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
    10/14 Missouri W 53-28 9 86 9.6 36 2 0 0 0.0 0 0
    10/28 @Florida W 42-7 6 137 22.8 74 2 0 0 0.0 0 0
    11/4 South Carolina W 24-10 16 81 5.1 13 1 1 16 16.0 16 0
    11/11 @Auburn L 40-17 9 21 2.3 7 0 0 0 0.0 0 0
    11/18 Kentucky W 42-13 12 87 7.3 37 3 0 0 0.0 0 0
    11/25 @Georgia Tech W 38-7 13 85 6.5 16 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
    12/2 @Auburn W 28-7 7 45 6.4 18 0 2 38 19.0 32 0
    ROSE BOWL GAME PRESENTED BY NORTHWESTERN MUTUAL - CFP SEMIFINAL
    1/1 @Oklahoma W 54-48 (2OT) 11 181 16.5 75 3 4 41 10.3 17 1
    CFP NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PRESENTED BY AT&T
    1/8 Alabama L 26-23 (OT) 14 98 7.0 26 0 0 0 0.0 0

    0

  • Sony Michel is exactly whose boy? 

  • NFL Draft 2018 Scouting Report: Saquon Barkley is the crown jewel of this class

    By Tyler Green@TylerGreenSB Mar 28, 2018, 4:14pm PDT


     
    Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports
     
    Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
     
    Measurables
    6’0”, 233 lbs
    40-yd Dash: 4.40 seconds
    Vertical Jump: 41 inches
    Bench Press: 29 reps
     
    Stats
    2017: 1,271 Rushing Yards, 5.9 Yards Per Carry, 18 Touchdowns, 632 Receiving Yards
    2016: 1,496 Rushing Yards, 5.5 Yards Per Carry, 18 Touchdowns, 402 Receiving Yards
    2015: 1,076 Rushing Yards, 5.9 Yards Per Carry, 7 Touchdowns, 161 Receiving Yards
     
    Awards
    2017 First-Team All-American
    2017 First-Team All-Big Ten
    2017 Big-Ten Offensive Player of the Year
    2017 No. 4 in the Heisman Trophy voting
    2017 Paul Hornung Award (college football’s most versatile player)
    2017 Finalist for the Maxwell Award, Doak Walker Award, Lombardi Award and Walter Camp Player of the Year Award
    2016 Second-Team All-American
    2016 First-Team All-Big Ten
    2016 Big-Ten Offensive Player of the Year
    2015 Second-Team All-Big Ten
    2015 Big-Ten Offensive Freshman of the Year
     
    Strengths
    With a 6’0”, 233 lb frame and world-class speed and agility, Penn State running back Saquon Barkley looks as if he was made in a laboratory. His athleticism combined with great vision and an unreal jump cut make him one of the best running backs to come out of the draft in years.
    Barkley is also a receiving threat out of the backfield which will help him be a three-down player in the NFL. His pass blocking is dependable as he squares up his feet and body to meet blitzing defenders.
     
    Weaknesses
    At times, Barkley suffers from ‘Barry Sanders syndrome’ where he tries to make something out of nothing and ends up losing substantial yards as a result. He needs to know when to simply lower his head and avoid a loss on the play.
    The other popular criticism of Barkley is that he doesn’t always play to his size meaning he isn’t a physical running back. He chooses to avoid tacklers instead. As shown in his game against San Diego State, Barkley is more than capable of breaking tackles.
     
    Verdict
    From top to bottom, the 2018 NFL Draft class boasts plenty of talent, but Saquon Barkley is the crown jewel. He has the ability to be a perennial All-Pro and a potential Hall of Famer if he is placed behind even just an average offensive line. With excellent size and athleticism along with great elusiveness, the former Nittany Lion is as close to a “sure thing” prospect as the draft has to offer.
     
    Pro Comparison
    LaDainian Tomlinson
     
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    That is why he is the #1 Overall selection and the Face of the Cleveland Browns for years to come. With Barkley we'll win the Superbowl within 3 years. 
     
     
  • Saquon Barkley played in 38 games. In those 38 games he managed to pick up a total of 5,557 yards. What is his average yards per game?

    - I'll just put it here for you since I don't expect a straight answer... 146 yards per game average. 

    @poeticg said:

    Saquon Barkley played in 38 games. In those 38 games he managed to pick up a total of 5,557 yards. What is his average yards per game?

    - I'll just put it here for you since I don't expect a straight answer... 146 yards per game average. 

    Now Mr. G, you are starting to try and use good points, we may be friends yet even if I think you are wrong. 

    When you actually use some evidence it helps your case. Like I have said from beginning, I have an issue with the extreme OVERHYPE, not the player or his ability.

    BUT, for you to help your case even more you MUST explain your All purpose yards, especially when you then use some other players numbers as supporting your case.

    Meaning, when you degrade Michels you, then you also have to do the same for Barkley. You also have to factor in that Barkley was the feature back, and a good one at that, while Ga had 2 high profile high draft pick backs. And 3 when you factor in the beginning of college careers with Gurley there. Again, taking nothing away from either one, but to be taken seriously you have to use the same rules.

    Another point with the all purpose yards is that since Barkley was a returner, that adds a chunk to it. A bad KR average would be 20 yards.

    It also hurts your case when you leave yourself NO margin of area. When you use words such as THE best, instead of one of, or 100%. It is just not true that 100% that ANYONE in this draft is certain to go 1 or 2.

    Last thing I will say for now is that it will be harder now for defenders to tackle ANYONE. BUT, if you watch and know football then you know that A LOT of the initial helmet contact comes from ball carrier, which is also now illegal. So everyone will have to adjust their game.

    Now, I will say one thing about Barkley. Not saying it's a TERRIBLE thing, but from a recent interview, he isn't the most humble person in the world. He isn't perfect acting like you hinted at. I know all these guys have egos, but his character doesn't seem as good as Larry Fitzgerald. While probably true, for every thing he didn't perform as good as thought at combine he had an excuse. I dont remember the other thing he said that sounded a little off, but just shows he isn't perfect.

    If the Browns take him 1,4, 253 then I hope he turns out what you have said and more.

  • I don't mean to degrade Sony, I like the kid, he's a cool cat. I wouldn't take him over Barkley though. 

    By 100% #1 Overall - I mean that "I" would have already turned in the card for him to be the first pick. 

    The all purpose yards are a big thing, because he's effective from a multiple of angles, he's not one dimensional. 

    The kickoff return yards... let me check it here- Barkley had a total of 19 kickoff returns in the 3 years- so not that many all told. But they did use him to spark the team here or there.. or if they needed a big return they would use Saquon then. But he had 519 yards total on those 19 kickoff returns... so he averaged 27.3 yards per return- running back 2 for TDs. 

    27.3 doesn't seem like much but here's what last years NFL comparisons looked like for Kickoff return averages... it puts Saquon squarely between Patterson and Cooper for #2 in the NFL...

    1 Cordarrelle Patterson Oakland Raiders WR 28.3
    2 Pharoh Cooper Los Angeles Rams WR 26.3
  • Barkley shouldn't have been a finalist for Doak Walker. that was a complete joke. Impossible to even justify it.

    Guy had 1271 yds rushing 5.9 YPC and didn't split time with anyone.... Lamar Jackson outrushed Saquon Barkley on the season in both total yds and YPC. 

    Bryce Love and Rashaad Penny were hands down the 2 best RB's in the country.  Saquon isn't in the top 20 in YPC or total rushing yards... He is #6 in total yards, but guess who #1 and #2 are? Penny and Love.  Love had 2218 yds rushing at 8.1, Penny had 2248 yds at 7.8. Those are dominating runners. 

  • The kickoff return has pretty much been made into a complete non-factor in the NFL, and I highly doubt a team uses the RB they took high in the first round as their kickoff returner.  At least not longterm. 

  • The kickoff return has pretty much been made into a complete non-factor in the NFL, and I highly doubt a team uses the RB they took high in the first round as their kickoff returner.  At least not longterm. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    The kickoff return has pretty much been made into a complete non-factor in the NFL, and I highly doubt a team uses the RB they took high in the first round as their kickoff returner.  At least not longterm. 

    I'd like to agree but we did use our first rounder Peppers in Kickoff and Punt Return last season. It all depends on what is called for. Like I said, if it's the last drive of the game and we need a score, are you going to put your fastest strongest player on the return? They could always pooch it, but that would be decent field position I guess. 

  • I don't mean to degrade Sony, I like the kid, he's a cool cat. I wouldn't take him over Barkley though. 

    By 100% #1 Overall - I mean that "I" would have already turned in the card for him to be the first pick. 

    The all purpose yards are a big thing, because he's effective from a multiple of angles, he's not one dimensional. 

    The kickoff return yards... let me check it here- Barkley had a total of 19 kickoff returns in the 3 years- so not that many all told. But they did use him to spark the team here or there.. or if they needed a big return they would use Saquon then. But he had 519 yards total on those 19 kickoff returns... so he averaged 27.3 yards per return- running back 2 for TDs. 

    27.3 doesn't seem like much but here's what last years NFL comparisons looked like for Kickoff return averages... it puts Saquon squarely between Patterson and Cooper for #2 in the NFL...

    1 Cordarrelle Patterson Oakland Raiders WR 28.3
    2 Pharoh Cooper Los Angeles Rams WR 26.3

    @poeticg said:

    I don't mean to degrade Sony, I like the kid, he's a cool cat. I wouldn't take him over Barkley though. 

    By 100% #1 Overall - I mean that "I" would have already turned in the card for him to be the first pick. 

    The all purpose yards are a big thing, because he's effective from a multiple of angles, he's not one dimensional. 

    The kickoff return yards... let me check it here- Barkley had a total of 19 kickoff returns in the 3 years- so not that many all told. But they did use him to spark the team here or there.. or if they needed a big return they would use Saquon then. But he had 519 yards total on those 19 kickoff returns... so he averaged 27.3 yards per return- running back 2 for TDs. 

    27.3 doesn't seem like much but here's what last years NFL comparisons looked like for Kickoff return averages... it puts Saquon squarely between Patterson and Cooper for #2 in the NFL...

    1 Cordarrelle Patterson Oakland Raiders WR 28.3
    2 Pharoh Cooper Los Angeles Rams WR 26.3

    I didn't think you were TRYING to degrade him, but when you point out a negative for him, you have to use the same criteria for Barkley.

    And I know you would take him, but you said 100% if he isn't taken 1 then will be 2. Which that isn't 100%.

    Again, of course all the yards are important, but when you add them it increases his total, where someone else didn't have that opportunity. I am not looking up the exact numbers because they don't really matter, but you had said something like 3300 all purpose yards in career. So let's say he averages 8 yards per play. That is 412 touches. So take out the 19 for 519, that leaves 393 for 2781 which is a full yard less, which is a difference to change.

    And while the 27.3 would be #2, you can't just plug in a number and expect it to continue in pros.

    None of that is to say Barkley won't be a good player, just goes to show that a stat can be used depending on how you want to look at it. Just like you can point out the 2 TD's against Ohio State, someone else can point out the poor ypc, and both are right, just depends how they are interpreted.

  • @poeticg said:

    I don't mean to degrade Sony, I like the kid, he's a cool cat. I wouldn't take him over Barkley though. 

    By 100% #1 Overall - I mean that "I" would have already turned in the card for him to be the first pick. 

    The all purpose yards are a big thing, because he's effective from a multiple of angles, he's not one dimensional. 

    The kickoff return yards... let me check it here- Barkley had a total of 19 kickoff returns in the 3 years- so not that many all told. But they did use him to spark the team here or there.. or if they needed a big return they would use Saquon then. But he had 519 yards total on those 19 kickoff returns... so he averaged 27.3 yards per return- running back 2 for TDs. 

    27.3 doesn't seem like much but here's what last years NFL comparisons looked like for Kickoff return averages... it puts Saquon squarely between Patterson and Cooper for #2 in the NFL...

    1 Cordarrelle Patterson Oakland Raiders WR 28.3
    2 Pharoh Cooper Los Angeles Rams WR 26.3

    I didn't think you were TRYING to degrade him, but when you point out a negative for him, you have to use the same criteria for Barkley.

    And I know you would take him, but you said 100% if he isn't taken 1 then will be 2. Which that isn't 100%.

    Again, of course all the yards are important, but when you add them it increases his total, where someone else didn't have that opportunity. I am not looking up the exact numbers because they don't really matter, but you had said something like 3300 all purpose yards in career. So let's say he averages 8 yards per play. That is 412 touches. So take out the 19 for 519, that leaves 393 for 2781 which is a full yard less, which is a difference to change.

    And while the 27.3 would be #2, you can't just plug in a number and expect it to continue in pros.

    None of that is to say Barkley won't be a good player, just goes to show that a stat can be used depending on how you want to look at it. Just like you can point out the 2 TD's against Ohio State, someone else can point out the poor ypc, and both are right, just depends how they are interpreted.

    @gunz41 said:

    I didn't think you were TRYING to degrade him, but when you point out a negative for him, you have to use the same criteria for Barkley.

    And I know you would take him, but you said 100% if he isn't taken 1 then will be 2. Which that isn't 100%.

    Again, of course all the yards are important, but when you add them it increases his total, where someone else didn't have that opportunity. I am not looking up the exact numbers because they don't really matter, but you had said something like 3300 all purpose yards in career. So let's say he averages 8 yards per play. That is 412 touches. So take out the 19 for 519, that leaves 393 for 2781 which is a full yard less, which is a difference to change.

    And while the 27.3 would be #2, you can't just plug in a number and expect it to continue in pros.

    None of that is to say Barkley won't be a good player, just goes to show that a stat can be used depending on how you want to look at it. Just like you can point out the 2 TD's against Ohio State, someone else can point out the poor ypc, and both are right, just depends how they are interpreted.

    ^that was one of the major points I had tried to make in the response that I ended up losing, how each of us interprets the stats and how they can be seen in different ways depending on the angle you view them from. Great job G! 

  • And for the record you don't know what string QB Hogan is this season. 

    I fully expect him to be right on Tyrod's heels. He's a warrior. 

    @poeticg said:

    I fully expect (Hogan) to be right on Tyrod's heels. He's a warrior. 

    Tyrod is heading out the door?

  • @poeticg said:

    I fully expect (Hogan) to be right on Tyrod's heels. He's a warrior. 

    Tyrod is heading out the door?

    @tour2ma said:

    Tyrod is heading out the door?

    😁 lol that's cold 😆 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Tyrod is heading out the door?

    😁 lol that's cold 😆 

    @poeticg said:

    😁 lol that's cold 😆 

    kinda liked that one myself... 😉

  • I think I'm the only one who doesn't completely love Barkley. My two biggest concerns are whether or not Saquon can run effectively between the tackles in the NFL, and whether or not he can be an asset in pass protection. He's certainly got the STRENGTH to do both, but I'm not sure I remember him doing much of either in college. Perhaps he wasn't asked to, or perhaps I simply wasn't paying attention, but I don't seem to remember those aspects of his game jumping off the film. This isn't to say the kid can't LEARN these things, and I think it's fair to say that many college RBs don't enter the league adept at pass protection, but it's just something I think about. Finally, I just have a very difficult time believing we're going to go offense-offense with our first two picks of the draft, ya know? Presumably our first pick is a QB, so we hope to not even SEE the kid this year, and then our next pick is going to be a RB even though our GM has been in the league FOREVER and has NEVER taken a RB in the first round of any draft? In fact, he's only taken a RB in the 2nd round once, and that pick was a bust. I honestly think we are comfortable with most of our offensive components, and I don't see us adding a player like Saquon when we have so much work to do on the defensive side of the ball. 

    Teams generally trade up for QBs and pass rushers, we know this, but Saquon is thought by many to be a transcendent talent, and if he's available at 4, will the phones be ringing for a trade? What if the Giants take Saquon at 2? To me, that's the best case scenario. It means I don't have to worry about our team taking Saquon, lol. In all seriousness, I REALLY want the draft to go QB for picks 1-3, as that makes our #4 very valuable. Teams like Buffalo, Denver, and even Arizona are going to be dying to trade up for the "last" available QB. I personally don't want to trade down, but I'm almost positive we're going to, fellas. 

    Buffalo is going to trade up for a QB, I think many of us expect this. In fact, I think they will announce a trade with the New York Giants in the next few days. If this doesn't happen, I'd expect OUR phone to blow up, and that's where it gets interesting (and by interesting I mean terrifying). Buffalo now has picks 12 and 22 in the first round I believe, and this seems like JUST the type of situation our beloved Browns simply CAN'T pass up. "OMG, TWO 1ST ROUNDERS! WE HAVE TO DO IT!" Buffalo wants their QB, as we currently have theirs from last year. They know they have to move up to get him, regardless of signing McCarron. 

    How do you guys feel about drafting at #12? It's JUST out of the range where we can probably get one of MY top tier guys, but I think we need to embrace the idea that we're trading down, and many of our fans should probably get the Saquon dreams out of their minds. It's simply too much draft capital for a GM not to muck with, and there won't be a shortage of teams who want to trade with us. So many years you'll hear fans of certain teams scream, "We should have traded down for more picks and players!" Well, that's all fine and good, but you actually need another team who is WILLING to trade first. In our situation, we're going to have multiple offers, and I don't see how we resist them all. 

  • Barkley the Dog is a wasted pick @ #4.