Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • @westside-steve said:

    ... you have to convince yourselves that the action of being out for a night hampered his actual progress.

    Steve,

    No, I do not have to convince myself of any such thing.

    Hope y'all are sitting because (shocker) I'm going the other way...

    JM pissed away 2014. Nothing changes that. By contrast 2015 had been a joy. Then came the lie... that's a whole new level of mistrust that require a whole new level of promise to be demonstrated in the closing games. So far I haven't seen it in 2 games.

    But that's only half my equation...

    If I become convinced that there's a low maintenance QB with a high degree of franchise potential in the 2016 draft, I pull the trigger.

    @tour2ma said:

    Steve,

    No, I do not have to convince myself of any such thing.

    Hope y'all are sitting because (shocker) I'm going the other way...

    JM pissed away 2014. Nothing changes that. By contrast 2015 had been a joy. Then came the lie... that's a whole new level of mistrust that require a whole new level of promise to be demonstrated in the closing games. So far I haven't seen it in 2 games.

    But that's only half my equation...

    If I become convinced that there's a low maintenance QB with a high degree of franchise potential in the 2016 draft, I pull the trigger.

    LOL

    I sat down for nothing.

    😉

    WSS

  • He did not even do that well in garbage time...

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I agree with what everyone has said. What worries me is we're going to ruin any chance that Manziel has by not providing him a capable team around him (sound familiar?) Christ, at one time Manziel was throwing the ball to Marlan Moore, Terrell Pryor, Jim Dray, and Travis Benjamin. But offense is just one part of it. What happens when Manziel can play with a solid defense? We got a glimpse of it against Tennessee and San Francisco. When he gets the ball back from a punt or a turnover, he starts to find a rhythm. A rhythm isn't exactly easy to find when your defense doesn't force a damn punt and the QB is sitting on the bench for extended amounts of time.

    It's not easy to evaluate a young QB when the team is playing AT perhaps the toughest venue in professional sports, who just happens to have a crazy defense. And by the way, traveling to Kansas City might be the SECOND toughest place to play in the NFL, so he has THAT going for him...which is nice. And the icing on the cake is the Steelers game at home. The same Steelers team that somehow almost put up a 40 burger on the best defense in the league.

    It is hard for us to evaluate a QB based upon a one-time, real-time, broadcast view. It is not when you have an All-22 cut-down and 24 hours.

    Excepting his feet, JM is showing most of what you want to see in a QB prospect. I can let yesterday's fumble go as a one-off, flash regression since his ball position has been much improved this year. I can't give credit for mastering play-calling late in a sophomore season. There was a lot of frantic clapping going on yesterday... some starting with 5 seconds on the play clock while our Center was still communicating line calls.

    I thought the contrast between JM and Wilson was interesting especially when it came to their scrambling. JM just looked "frantic" in comparison. My impression was that this was symptomatic of their relative game speed perceptions, i.e., the game has yet to fully slow down for JM. It still may...

    Additionally as I've written elsewhere, JM is not yet anticipating throws. This is the big hurdle to attaining "franchise" status. Displaying anticipation does not require a better defense, a close game or even an improved WR corps... it does not even require completions.

    Not sure what triggers "anticipation" unless it's something akin to visualizing a golf shot, except at hyper speed. But I'm willing to bet it is a switch that suddenly clicks and the light goes on...

    Bottom line: Mind is not changed yet, but two weeks to go...

    @tour2ma said:

    Not sure what triggers "anticipation" unless it's something akin to visualizing a golf shot, except at hyper speed. But I'm willing to bet it is a switch that suddenly clicks and the light goes on...

    It's honestly a combination of things. Knowledge of the playbook, route concepts, chemistry with receivers combined with diagnosing the defense while coming off your reads yet staying in rhythm and being accurate.

  • VesnaKociper said:

    What stands out to me, is the consistency. Draft a lot of offensive linemen, lets guys like Big Ben, AP, Julio Jones etc get away, and then wonder why the fucking team still sucks.

    I will fix this for you: Draft a lot of offensive skill players that suck, like Braylon, Weeden, Richardson, Quinn, Manziel, K2, and wonder why the fucking team still sucks.

    And, FYI, even if they had drafted all the guys you wanted them to draft....the team could still suck, give the way our defense has played this year. No OL, no WR/QB/RB/TE can make up for how bad that defense has been coached.

  • VesnaKociper said:

    Dumbest fucking fans in ALL of the NFL.

    You guys really are dickheads. Gullible dickheads.

    Pettine is the problem. His fucking guys don't tackle, block, catch, follow assignments or play with discipline.

    VesnaKociper said:

    Draft a lot of offensive linemen, lets guys like Big Ben, AP, Julio Jones etc get away, and then wonder why the fucking team still sucks.

    See..... this is why you are the one who is a dickhead......

    So.....your brilliant analysis is that it's definitely bad drafts....but oh wait... on this thread, it's the Coach ......

    ....Yet, everyone else is a gullible dumbass for thinking its either bad drafts...or the coach......wtf????....

  • it's amazing the reaction i have after reading a ghoolie post.

    don't know whether to take a shower or pull a cork.

    we are all dickheads and the dumbest fans in the NFL, meanwhile he proclaims to be a browns fan as well.....so he must be a dumb dickhead fan too, correct?

    or just another steeler's troll.

  • As our luck would have it, we play 3 of the 4 hottest teams in the NFL to end our tortured season. I guess the only question I have is, "What? Was Carolina busy?!"

    It's not easy to evaluate a young QB when he's playing very good teams that have infinite more talent on paper than we do. So what will you be looking for as proof of progress from Manziel against a red hot Kansas City team?

    First thing for me in this game is not turning it over. Chief's defense is making a killing on turnovers, and they rank towards the top of the league in defensive TD's (I think). Not only do they turn the ball over, the score points when they get it. To make it worse, the Chief's offense doesn't turn it over much either. I want to see Johnny protect the football, secure the ball when he's throwing, and continue to play with intelligence.

    I want to continue to see Johnny in command of the offense in yet another hostile environment. He did pretty well last week, and I don't think we had any pre-snap penalties. I know that might sound minor, but it's not. We don't have the type of offense that can "play behind the sticks", and a five yard penalty can very easily mean "punt" to us.

    Additionally, I want to see better accuracy from Manziel this weekend. He was victimized by several drops last week, that's not secret, but the balls also weren't where they needed to be either. This is the NFL, and I'm not making excuses for our WR's, but even Johnny said that he didn't put the ball where he should've. The Taylor Gabriel drop is a good example. Again, he should've caught it...easily...but Johnny threw a pretty bad ball. Instead of confidently zipping it to a WIDE OPEN Gabriel, he tried to almost float it to him and the result was a high toss. He zips that ball to Gabriel in stride and it could've resulted in a big play.

    I also want to see Johnny take a few more chances. I could be dead wrong, but I think he's so scared to make a mistake in the red zone that he's not making confident throws in the pay dirt. Virtually ALL young QB's struggle in red zone scoring, but Johnny needs to trust his knowledge and trust his arm. It doesn't help that he's "blessed" with tiny WR's, but I want to see Manziel take a few shot. And not just in the red zone, I want to see him take a few deep shots. His deep ball is pretty damn good, and we haven't seen much of it lately.

    Lastly, I want to see Manziel RUN the ball more. Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know. The coaches want to see him improve within the pocket, BUT...I actually think his scrambling ability can HELP him improve from the pocket. Johnny gashes the defense for a few chunk runs (and slides), then the defense will have to react to it. Maybe they can't blitz as aggressively. Maybe they have to place a type of "spy" on him. All I know is, Johnny has left some big gains on the table, and while I admire his efforts to make throws from the pocket, a proficient mobile QB knows when to pass and when to run. Remember those few runs that Russell Wilson had? They are back breaking, and he was so open, that he was able to slide.

    Ok, sorry for yet another long-winded post, but I have faith in Johnny. I'm starting to see the allure of his abilities. His quick release, his agility, his improvisation skills. It might not be realistic for Johnny to improve EVERY game. I mean, who doesn't have a bad game from time to time? Unfortunately for Johnny, time is running out and he needs to show SOME kind of improvement on a weekly basis. The Chiefs barely beat a bad Charges team 10-3, with the Bolts missing 4 times from the red zone as time expired to force overtime. If our defense can SOMEHOW prevent the Chiefs from scoring 30 this game, maybe we'll get to see Johnny in a pressure situation with a chance to steal a game.

  • I pretty much agree. Of course not only are we playing two of hottest teams in the league we are doing so with a crumbling defense that was already bad before the DUI and firearms charges.

    Also the fact that we're going without starting guards which i think is disastrous.

    And no matter what anyone thinks of the receiving corps I doubt that Terrelle Pryor and Dwayne Bowe are striking fear into the hearts of the Chiefs or the squealers.

    And the last two games, much like political shows on cable TV, are only there to reinforce the positions of haters or the fanboys.

    And if all the information we get is from those self anointed experts here, on the radio, newspapers and television is true then it won't matter anyway since apparently everyone from the president to the GM to the coach to the ball boy to the guy that cleans the toilets in the stadium will all be fired within the next 3 weeks...

    Seriously I don't expect much positive to come from these last two games from a decimated team and I would bet against any epiphany.

    Still, that was good post.

    WSS

  • LOL. Take a breath jiggins. I needed warm milk and a nap 3/4 through that.

    Bowe/Pryor may want to show KC/Oak, Cinn how wrong they were for kicking such gifted talented productive WRs to the curb......hiccup hiccup.

    Not a Manziel fan but to be fair he doesn't have alot to work with.

  • time to see what the JV squad's got.

    like the waning last minutes of a college basketball blowout............let everyone play.

  • 1. Will JM go through his progressions consistently. Have yet to see him do it for more than one series in a row.

    2. Will he anticipate receiver's coming open and deliver an accurate, on time ball.

    3. When he runs will he slide/run out of bounds or does the backup need to stay warmed up when they cart him off.

    Just a few things I want to see his progress on. One last thing people need to QUIT talking about how good the steelers defense is. That defense has been trash this year. Rated 29 against the pass the first time we played them and they're rated even lower now. They might even be last in the league when we play them again.

  • "Should I stay or should I go? Come on and let me know..." - The Clash

  • Draft COOK in draft and trade Johnny

    Big ten QBS!!!!!!!

    And get some good free agents in here

    Pay them $$$

    Of course let's start drafting the right way Cleveland

    If you can't maybe Ozzie can help!!!!!

  • 1. Will JM go through his progressions consistently. Have yet to see him do it for more than one series in a row.

    2. Will he anticipate receiver's coming open and deliver an accurate, on time ball.

    3. When he runs will he slide/run out of bounds or does the backup need to stay warmed up when they cart him off.

    Just a few things I want to see his progress on. One last thing people need to QUIT talking about how good the steelers defense is. That defense has been trash this year. Rated 29 against the pass the first time we played them and they're rated even lower now. They might even be last in the league when we play them again.

    "If I stay there will be trouble...

    If I go there will be double..."

    @johnny-fingers-farmer said:

    1. Will JM go through his progressions consistently. Have yet to see him do it for more than one series in a row.

    2. Will he anticipate receiver's coming open and deliver an accurate, on time ball.

    These... ^

    Only additional notes is that reads are made and the progressions are gone thru quickly.

  • "If I stay there will be trouble...

    If I go there will be double..."

    @johnny-fingers-farmer said:

    1. Will JM go through his progressions consistently. Have yet to see him do it for more than one series in a row.

    2. Will he anticipate receiver's coming open and deliver an accurate, on time ball.

    These... ^

    Only additional notes is that reads are made and the progressions are gone thru quickly.

    @tour2ma said:

    Only additional notes is that reads are made and the progressions are gone thru quickly.

    And in the right order please....

    Was watching some of his stuff from the Pittspuke game and he was going backwards......watching the deep routes 1st, before looking to the shorter routes.....(seems like he always works right to left, which shouldnt be the case)

    So he'd look away from his deep routes before the breaks, but was too late to the short routes.....which was 100% backward and caused him to miss all the open routes just because he's looking the wrong way......the whole play....

  • No, wait, oh sorry still No

  • Blech

  • we need continuity.

  • we need continuity.

    @stillmotion said:

    we need continuity.

    Agreed, Josh Mccown it is!

  • @stillmotion said:

    we need continuity.

    Agreed, Josh Mccown it is!

    @baconhound said:

    Agreed, Josh Mccown it is!

    And there it is...

    I've seen nothing that says JM can beat out McC for the starting slot. So whether I trade JM is now a matter of what I think of the prospects in the draft.

  • @baconhound said:

    Agreed, Josh Mccown it is!

    And there it is...

    I've seen nothing that says JM can beat out McC for the starting slot. So whether I trade JM is now a matter of what I think of the prospects in the draft.

    @tour2ma said:

    And there it is...

    I've seen nothing that says JM can beat out McC for the starting slot. So whether I trade JM is now a matter of what I think of the prospects in the draft.

    And I know I've been a Manziel hater but he seems to refuse to stay in the pocket, go through his reads, plant his feet and step into the throw. I don't know how you look at that and say, "oh well he can run"