Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • ugh. play per play, really? hope you've got nothing to do for a long, long time.

    go away.

  • Swope apparently retired because of concussion issues.

  • Next possession. 2nd play is a very nice view of Manziel standing in the pocket and no panicking.

    goes through all FOUR receivers and comes back to the top of the list and hits a receiver adlibbing and coming back to the QB, fast throw and accurate...

    Again, this is where Manziel gets hated on I think after watching this game and the Alabama game... As a QB if a lineman gets free and is going to grab the QB and sack him, this is where Manziel avoids being caught and sacked..

    9 times out of 10, those "crazy Johnny Football" moments came from him avoiding being sacked or being forced to throw the ball away... Why is it that he has "happy feet" in the pocket? I have yet to see him throw the ball away OR take a sack OR run away out of the pocket for no good reason.

    He seems allergic to wasting EVEN ONE DOWN.. If he is going to take a sack or have to throw the ball away, it seems he chooses to pull the ball down and make something happen with his feet..

    I realized that Swope is a TE and this bodes well for the Browns as he will have a hell of a TE to throw too. Two very nice plays where he fakes the inside HB run and they bite both times, nice throw to Swopes on the run and catches him in stride..

    Nice HB run.. TD.

    BobPound!

  • Swope played for the Cowboys last year and hes a 6'3 200lb. Reciever.

  • This isn't play by play.. I am watching what will likely be our QB at some point in the future....

    I am not some Manziel Fanboy, as I never watched him play until I watched a replay of the Texas AM/Alabama game, and now this one.

    Both games are almost identical. A super fast paced offense that overwhelms the defense..

    To finish this up.. Manziel throws yet another excellent slant pass to the outside to Swopes.. he catches in full stride and takes it to the outside to score...

    Great pass...... Going to end it here as the game is probably over at this point.. I will fast forward to see if they win with any more points.

    Synopsis... He has a great release, great anticipation of where receivers will be.. Makes his reads and progresses through them for as long as he can and instead of having to take the sack or throw the ball away or make a bad decision.. He makes moves and runs and usually gets forward progress.

    His height appears to be an issue for throwing over the top to the inside, he seems to only be comfortable throwing to the middle after he has rolled out and can get some vision of the middle..

    Excellent out side throws and seems to be able to throw the long ball with some decent touch.. But not a bomb thrower.. But I don't like that in a QB anyways.. So few are good at that..

    He made quite a few bad decisions to run the ball on designed passing plays.. Pulling the ball down when he saw an opening.. Those openings will not be there in the NFL for long... He leads with his head.. another problem.... I don't think he should be taught to slide as this is how QB's get hurt in my opinion.. He just needs to be taught to use those fast moves to get to the sideline and get out.

    Seemed poised the whole game.. Between him and the Center, they called an ENTIRE GAME in the 2 minute offense. Called some successful audibles from the line.. Never seemed flustered .. And didn't throw any bad interceptions.. The one that is on the record was an easily caught ball deflected by the WR.. AND NO SACKS!

    I am pretty impressed by his play.... I watched a few games with Bridgewater and Bortles and Carr and by far I feel the fundamentals of Manziel are far superior.. Plus the added bonus of fast legs and his ability to run.. I think we got the best QB pick...

    Bobpound!

  • @everlastingxxx said:

    The Brandon Weeden era is one play away.

    That sentence right there almost made me choke. I think my head almost popped as well.

  • I'll be honest, before the draft, some may remember that I had "Anyone But Johnny Scramble" as my signature. I would've hated the pick at #4, but what we did at 4 (player and extra 1st round pick) and where we ultimately took Johnny, was perfectly fine with me. I believe he is worth the risk at 22.

    That being said, I just don't know if his play (could care less about his persona and everything else that surrounds him) is going to translate in the NFL. I hope it does with every fiber of my body as I am tired of loving a loser.

    "Most" of us think he will either be the next HoF QB, or the next Eric Zeier. I am in neither camp and am filled 50/50 with high hopes, and fear. I will root for Johnny when he gets his chance, just like I root for anyone wearing the orange, brown and white laundry.

    In the end, history will be the only one that tells Johnny's story. Some of us will proclaim ourselves as geniuses, while others simply forget what they said about him. Hopefully my hope wins out, and kicks the crap out of my fear.

  • alright. he's a brown. i get it.

    but if you want to start a memorium, can you do it somewhere else?

    this isn't the johnny manziel forum, this is the brown's forum.

    show me where someone broke down joe haden or joe thomas's college games play by play and posted them here on the forum.

    a little over the top don't ya think by someone who just joined and who is obviously just a JF fan and not a brown's fan.

    wasted space on some server some where.

  • It was a very good gamble pick. He may be a media darling and the talk of the draft but I will reserve judgments till I see some Sunday games. Not to many people have the right attitude on this pick whether it being to high or low. He wasn't even the first qb taken and probably shouldn't have been. Not many elite Qbs drop like a rock like he did. And homos I don't wanna hear ohhhh what about Aaron Rodgers that is a bluemoon situation. His first test of being elite comes when he wins the starting qb job.

  • I'll be honest, before the draft, some may remember that I had "Anyone But Johnny Scramble" as my signature. I would've hated the pick at #4, but what we did at 4 (player and extra 1st round pick) and where we ultimately took Johnny, was perfectly fine with me. I believe he is worth the risk at 22.

    That being said, I just don't know if his play (could care less about his persona and everything else that surrounds him) is going to translate in the NFL. I hope it does with every fiber of my body as I am tired of loving a loser.

    "Most" of us think he will either be the next HoF QB, or the next Eric Zeier. I am in neither camp and am filled 50/50 with high hopes, and fear. I will root for Johnny when he gets his chance, just like I root for anyone wearing the orange, brown and white laundry.

    In the end, history will be the only one that tells Johnny's story. Some of us will proclaim ourselves as geniuses, while others simply forget what they said about him. Hopefully my hope wins out, and kicks the crap out of my fear.

    @d-bone said:

    I'll be honest, before the draft, some may remember that I had "Anyone But Johnny Scramble" as my signature. I would've hated the pick at #4, but what we did at 4 (player and extra 1st round pick) and where we ultimately took Johnny, was perfectly fine with me. I believe he is worth the risk at 22.

    That being said, I just don't know if his play (could care less about his persona and everything else that surrounds him) is going to translate in the NFL. I hope it does with every fiber of my body as I am tired of loving a loser.

    "Most" of us think he will either be the next HoF QB, or the next Eric Zeier. I am in neither camp and am filled 50/50 with high hopes, and fear. I will root for Johnny when he gets his chance, just like I root for anyone wearing the orange, brown and white laundry.

    In the end, history will be the only one that tells Johnny's story. Some of us will proclaim ourselves as geniuses, while others simply forget what they said about him. Hopefully my hope wins out, and kicks the crap out of my fear.

    I agree completely... I do not think he is ready to play yet and even if Hoyer isn't ready on day 1, the other backups should start in front of him.

    He needs to play hard in the Pre-Season and understand how much faster the NFL is going to be. I think they should let him start at least once with the first team(maybe 3rd or 4th game) just so he can see how fast and how punishing those DB's can be and maybe he will learn to find the open man, instead of running.

    he needs work, no doubt...

    BobPOunds!

  • alright. he's a brown. i get it.

    but if you want to start a memorium, can you do it somewhere else?

    this isn't the johnny manziel forum, this is the brown's forum.

    show me where someone broke down joe haden or joe thomas's college games play by play and posted them here on the forum.

    a little over the top don't ya think by someone who just joined and who is obviously just a JF fan and not a brown's fan.

    wasted space on some server some where.

    @miktoxic said:

    alright. he's a brown. i get it.

    but if you want to start a memorium, can you do it somewhere else?

    this isn't the johnny manziel forum, this is the brown's forum.

    show me where someone broke down joe haden or joe thomas's college games play by play and posted them here on the forum.

    a little over the top don't ya think by someone who just joined and who is obviously just a JF fan and not a brown's fan.

    wasted space on some server some where.

    What is your problem? I NEVER WATCHED MANZIEL before two weeks ago..

    Been a browns fan since 1979 and Brian Sipe.. I didn't do a PLAY BY PLAY of the entire game.. I have read most of your posts since draft day on Thursday and they are all the same.. Some kind of deep anger towards someone... Take a breath and enjoy the few months we have, before reality sets back in...

    BobPound!

  • alright. he's a brown. i get it.

    but if you want to start a memorium, can you do it somewhere else?

    this isn't the johnny manziel forum, this is the brown's forum.

    show me where someone broke down joe haden or joe thomas's college games play by play and posted them here on the forum.

    a little over the top don't ya think by someone who just joined and who is obviously just a JF fan and not a brown's fan.

    wasted space on some server some where.

    @miktoxic said:

    alright. he's a brown. i get it.

    but if you want to start a memorium, can you do it somewhere else?

    this isn't the johnny manziel forum, this is the brown's forum.

    show me where someone broke down joe haden or joe thomas's college games play by play and posted them here on the forum.

    a little over the top don't ya think by someone who just joined and who is obviously just a JF fan and not a brown's fan.

    wasted space on some server some where.

    Still one Justin Gilbert thread, buried on the second or third page.

    827 Johnny threads.

    I love Browns fans, but we sure do get gay about QBs.

    We will win a Super Bowl when we have a Championship Team. Hopefully Johnny plays a role in that, just like RW did for Seattle.

    Zombo

  • @miktoxic said:

    alright. he's a brown. i get it.

    but if you want to start a memorium, can you do it somewhere else?

    this isn't the johnny manziel forum, this is the brown's forum.

    show me where someone broke down joe haden or joe thomas's college games play by play and posted them here on the forum.

    a little over the top don't ya think by someone who just joined and who is obviously just a JF fan and not a brown's fan.

    wasted space on some server some where.

    Still one Justin Gilbert thread, buried on the second or third page.

    827 Johnny threads.

    I love Browns fans, but we sure do get gay about QBs.

    We will win a Super Bowl when we have a Championship Team. Hopefully Johnny plays a role in that, just like RW did for Seattle.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Still one Justin Gilbert thread, buried on the second or third page.

    827 Johnny threads.

    I love Browns fans, but we sure do get gay about QBs.

    We will win a Super Bowl when we have a Championship Team. Hopefully Johnny plays a role in that, just like RW did for Seattle.

    Zombo

    Well you have to admit that the Browns have a tendency towards QB drama, so I would expect that the ratio of people commenting on a QB pick versus a super solid pick for DB should be about 20 to 1..

    There is little to no debating that Gilbert was the best pick for us at that spot, especially with the 1st round pick cherry in 2015 thrown on top...

    Manziel is a little less so.. There were a lot of good players on the board at 22(or 26 if we didn't trade up).... You have to expect that all the talk is going to be focused on QB for a long time...

    Well that and Josh Gordon's impending suspension.... Part of being a Browns fan..

    BobPound!

  • @texasag1969 said:

    LOL! All you have to know about this game is the looks on the faces of the Stoops brothers as he continued to run, dodge, jump, throw and fly past them on the sidelines with a lot of OU's superfast players in his wake. At one point they were both jumping up and down in total frustration as Johnny passed right by them on the sideline for a 30-40 yard run.

    And his tightrope TD along the other sideline with a last second high hurdle over a 3 foot high invisible goal line was pure JFF. Just a hill country deer hopping the fence for a little more corn.

    But Honestly TexasAG, those are his worst moments in the game, even thought they ended up being great to watch football.

    He has good fundamentals, and if he learns to stand just an extra 1 second in the pocket before bring the ball down and running, he will last a lot longer in the AFC North...

    He hasn't had to play against the insane blitzing schemes of the Pittsburgh Steelers or the absolutely skull crushing Linebacker's of the Baltimore Ravens. Nor has he had to run in ten below wind chills and howling 30 Mph winds...

    He needs to take a piece of humble pie and realize that his Johnny Football persona is going to hurt his team if he goes down with a separated shoulder because he went head to head with an NFL linebacker... He has good fundamentals, he needs to sit in the back seat for a while and learn how the NFL works...

    It will do himself and the Browns no good if he is thrown to the lion's like Couch was in 1999....

    What I do like about the EGO though, is that he is going to need it here in Cleveland.. Because there is no other city that abuses its QB's more than Cleveland.. Remember the dog pound applauding when Couch went out with an injury... Harsh.....

    BobPound!

  • Because he is now "our guy" I hope that he does not have a career like Bernie....or a career like Brian Sipe....but a career like Joe Montana or Otto Graham.

    Will he have that kind of career? Who the hell knows. When you have a Bart Starr going in the 17th round, a Johnny Unitas being cut by his first team, A Joe Montana being drafted in the third round, a Brett FAvre being drafted in the second round then being traded for handful of beans, a Russell Wilson going in the third round, a Dan Marino lasting until pick #27 (at that time just one pick up from a 2d rounder) god knows what kind a draft position you can get a great QB from.

    Of course, sure, you do have your Bradshaws, Elways, Aikmans, Mannings, #1 overall guys that live up to it.

    (but you also have your Jeff Georges, Jamarcus Russells etc.. #1 guys that basically suck)

  • Manziel will start day 1.

    Hoyer is not even cleared for contact.

    The throngs will call for Johnny, and Johnny they will get... or they'll tear the fucking stadium down.

    You don't draft Elvis Presley in his prime and sit him behind Justin 'Beaver'.

    ---------------------

    They should have just drafted Watkins, Carr and Hyde.

    @poeticg said:

    Manziel will start day 1.

    Hoyer is not even cleared for contact.

    The throngs will call for Johnny, and Johnny they will get... or they'll tear the fucking stadium down.

    You don't draft Elvis Presley in his prime and sit him behind Justin 'Beaver'.

    ---------------------

    They should have just drafted Watkins, Carr and Hyde.

    Ahh.....but Johnny Football is hardly in his prime.. even Elvis spent a few years as the backup act to Slim Whitman and Bill Haley and the Comets.

  • @lbc-mike said:

    We always get new fans when we draft a QB (almost every year) and I have been with the attitude of lets see it.. Texas fans with Colt, Oaky ST. fans with Weeden and so forth.... Some of us are kinda jaded. Johnny is a great College player.... Hoping he does us well.

    By the way Welcome aboard.

    That does not bode well for the Browns...taking all those old Southwest Conference School QBs (which is the league the OP still remembers I'm sure)

  • @canton-mike said:

    Ag,

    I'm one of those guys who cheered for Jimmy Brown too. The selection of Johnny has me more than ANY pick since I was 10 years old in 1956. That pick was Jimmy Brown. There are a lot of skeptics out there & I may be wrong about Johnny, but I don't think I am. This kid's skills, intangibles, & determination to keep improving are off the charts.

    BTW, welcome!

    Mike

    Actually, getting Bernie Kosar in the supplemental draft was every bit as big as this.....just without the internet connections.

    And there was the drafting of LeBron, probably even bigger.

  • I feel like the one thing that will make or break our team is continuity. That goes for coaching and QB. I am hoping Farmer can be to us what Newsome is in Baltimore. Manziel, while I wasn't a fan of his (or a person hoping he'd be drafted by us) has a chance in my mind. I will give him a few years to develop - as I know he is raw and will need time.

    This coaching staff reminds me quite a bit of the Steelers under Cowher and Pettine reminds me quite a bit of him as well. They need to stick it out with this staff and let them coach the team up rather than blow it up after 2 or 3 seasons of 5-11, 6-10... I think we will be competing for the division in the next three years and eventually we will take it over if we can keep the concept of continuity.

  • Well, he should. Hopefully he does.