Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • Who gives a flying fuck. Manziel is the choice. Quit acting like a bunch of bitches.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Who gives a flying fuck. Manziel is the choice. Quit acting like a bunch of bitches.

    very ironic with that particular post.....lmao.

    Did it hurt your feewings cause he isn't getting the dstartinf nods a few days after the draft?

  • I understand the optimism, trust me, I do

    But when week 1 gets here...and we can't score 10 points- against a shitty steeler defense...we will all be pissed.

    I figured we would start 1-3... Realistic...now, without a big-time threat outside- and the introduction of JF (who you know everyone wants to face plant)... 0-4 looking you right in the face...and the prospect of YET another 4 win season

    Maybe I'm getting older....freakin had it.

    Bermeck (the teams that dedicate to the run can't, won't... Win anymore...not consistently ...our D is good, but not dominating)

  • I understand the optimism, trust me, I do

    But when week 1 gets here...and we can't score 10 points- against a shitty steeler defense...we will all be pissed.

    I figured we would start 1-3... Realistic...now, without a big-time threat outside- and the introduction of JF (who you know everyone wants to face plant)... 0-4 looking you right in the face...and the prospect of YET another 4 win season

    Maybe I'm getting older....freakin had it.

    Bermeck (the teams that dedicate to the run can't, won't... Win anymore...not consistently ...our D is good, but not dominating)

    @bermeck08 said:

    I understand the optimism, trust me, I do

    But when week 1 gets here...and we can't score 10 points- against a shitty steeler defense...we will all be pissed.

    I figured we would start 1-3... Realistic...now, without a big-time threat outside- and the introduction of JF (who you know everyone wants to face plant)... 0-4 looking you right in the face...and the prospect of YET another 4 win season

    Maybe I'm getting older....freakin had it.

    Bermeck (the teams that dedicate to the run can't, won't... Win anymore...not consistently ...our D is good, but not dominating)

    Look, I'm as bummed as anyone that Josh Gordon might be out next year but how many games did we win with our big time threat outside? Four, and the reason for that was because we couldn't run the damn football, leading to an inability to keep the other offense off the field, which led to a gassed defense that routinely collapsed in the fourth quarter.

    And ther is still a possibility that Gordon won't be out of all next season:

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29282

  • The amusing part is that the OP called it a "hard hitting documentary"

    I am not actually certain if I have ever seen a bigger piece of fluff in my life.

  • I mean, he DOES need to beat Hoyer out. Right now Hoyer is the starter. You DO want the player who gives you the best chance to win on the field correct?

    That being said. I dont believe it will take Johnny long AT ALL to beat him out. He's been cut from 3 teams without a damaged knee. And thats CUT, as in, he didn't make the three deep depth chart.

  • Should have read the comments on this thread before wasting five minutes of my life

  • I have faith that Manziel will turn the Browns into the dynasty of the next 10 years. Good times ahead! I wouldn't even be surprised if Manziel started wearing fur coats. This should be interesting.

  • Bne1zKeCYAEnchq.jpg

  • When you Johnny Lovers post videos like this, it doesn't help your case. I saw lots of things in that video that in the NFL will 1) get him killed, 2) turn the ball over, 3) ultimately be a bust............... The more I see these montages the more I wish we would have taken Carr in the 2nd.

  • @newdoggiggem said:

    Enjoy:

    AWESOME!!!!

  • Out of all of the Johnny Football highlight videos I have seen, this one probably most exemplifies why someone would think JF will be a bust in the NFL, lol.

  • @newdoggiggem said:

    Yeah D Bone... That's the same thing we said when he came to A&M. He lead all QB's last year with a 73.5% completion % from the pocket. He's a smart dude. He'll adapt and adjust his game.

    If you said the same thing we are saying now, then clearly he never did adjust.

  • Mods - can we combine all these "New fan here, JF is AMAZING!!" threads?

  • When you Johnny Lovers post videos like this, it doesn't help your case. I saw lots of things in that video that in the NFL will 1) get him killed, 2) turn the ball over, 3) ultimately be a bust............... The more I see these montages the more I wish we would have taken Carr in the 2nd.

    @d-bone said:

    When you Johnny Lovers post videos like this, it doesn't help your case. I saw lots of things in that video that in the NFL will 1) get him killed, 2) turn the ball over, 3) ultimately be a bust............... The more I see these montages the more I wish we would have taken Carr in the 2nd.

    ^+1 Not necessarily Carr, but I wouldn't have been upset with Bridgewater.

    @newdoggiggem said:

    Yeah D Bone... That's the same thing we said when he came to A&M. He lead all QB's last year with a 73.5% completion % from the pocket. He's a smart dude. He'll adapt and adjust his game.

    If he doesn't he won't even last as long as RG III, it will only take one of those extreme cuts at the wrong time to get a blown out knee- and that will take away his #1 asset, mobility. BTW, he throws a ton of off balance passes that are interceptions waiting to happen in the NFL. Manziel was clocked at what 4.6? Most of the slow NFL corners run a 4.5.

    @mld-woody said:

    Out of all of the Johnny Football highlight videos I have seen, this one probably most exemplifies why someone would think JF will be a bust in the NFL, lol.

    The fanboys see what they want to see. 🙂

  • Mods - can we combine all these "New fan here, JF is AMAZING!!" threads?

    @gftchris said:

    Mods - can we combine all these "New fan here, JF is AMAZING!!" threads?

    I'll turn that over to Zombo- and I don't disagree. Like we haven't seen enough JF highlight reels already to form a semi-intelligent opinion?

  • Not hating on Manziel, just getting bored with having to trawl through the endless threads about him. We did pick a bunch of other guys - it's interesting to think about how Pettine's D is going to be set up, using Gilbert and Haden as shutdown corners, who's going to be responsible for shutting down the run if and when the RB gets to the edge since apparently that's not the CB's job. We also have a bit of a WR problem, and we've got a bunch of nobodies trying to be the guy - can any of them step up?

    Manziel's game will either translate to the NFL and he'll be a superstar, or it won't and he'll be a bust. We'll know in 6 months which it is.

  • @d-bone said:

    I'll be honest, before the draft, some may remember that I had "Anyone But Johnny Scramble" as my signature. I would've hated the pick at #4, but what we did at 4 (player and extra 1st round pick) and where we ultimately took Johnny, was perfectly fine with me. I believe he is worth the risk at 22.

    That being said, I just don't know if his play (could care less about his persona and everything else that surrounds him) is going to translate in the NFL. I hope it does with every fiber of my body as I am tired of loving a loser.

    "Most" of us think he will either be the next HoF QB, or the next Eric Zeier. I am in neither camp and am filled 50/50 with high hopes, and fear. I will root for Johnny when he gets his chance, just like I root for anyone wearing the orange, brown and white laundry.

    In the end, history will be the only one that tells Johnny's story. Some of us will proclaim ourselves as geniuses, while others simply forget what they said about him. Hopefully my hope wins out, and kicks the crap out of my fear.

    I agree completely... I do not think he is ready to play yet and even if Hoyer isn't ready on day 1, the other backups should start in front of him.

    He needs to play hard in the Pre-Season and understand how much faster the NFL is going to be. I think they should let him start at least once with the first team(maybe 3rd or 4th game) just so he can see how fast and how punishing those DB's can be and maybe he will learn to find the open man, instead of running.

    he needs work, no doubt...

    BobPOunds!

    @everlastingxxx said:

    I am a long time (disgruntled) Cowboys fan and i have never been into college football until one day i saw Manziel on tv and i was amazed at the plays he makes. Most exciting player i have ever seen. He makes the game fun. Very envious because i honestly thought he was staying in Texas. Alot of dissappointed Cowboys and Texan fans.

    On a side note, i think he should sit the first year. Calm the hype down a little, let him mature and learn. Romo sat for 3 seasons before his first start. Keep building the pieces around him.

    The problem is the 2,000 people that bought season tickets (presumably to see JF play) are going to be screaming for him the second Hoyer throws an interception.

    @bobpound said:

    I agree completely... I do not think he is ready to play yet and even if Hoyer isn't ready on day 1, the other backups should start in front of him.

    He needs to play hard in the Pre-Season and understand how much faster the NFL is going to be. I think they should let him start at least once with the first team(maybe 3rd or 4th game) just so he can see how fast and how punishing those DB's can be and maybe he will learn to find the open man, instead of running.

    he needs work, no doubt...

    BobPOunds!

    Yes JF, you only need to be unelusive but once to get seriously hurt.

  • Whether you like him or not, you have to wish him success. If he fails so be it. If he is successful we should be happy.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Whether you like him or not, you have to wish him success. If he fails so be it. If he is successful we should be happy.

    Absolutely... when it is Johnny's turn. Until then I plan to wish Mr. Hoyer much success.

    @schmak01 said:

    My apologies, its actually a Manziel Gray

    ku-medium.jpg

    LOL... regardless of the color... there's really a mag dedicated to Game Cocks?

    @everlastingxxx said:

    Anyways, i kindof find it offensive when people compare Johnny with other QBs. There is no comparision.

    If that offends you, then you have no shot at Everlasting here...

  • I agree Chris.. That designed run play off the bat, was kind of stupid. He took a good lick though and popped right up..

    Watched the 2nd possession... End with a punt, but a good possession.

    What I liked on this set of downs was that he stayed in the pocket as long as he could. I watched him going through processions to at least 2nd and even 3rd receiver on one of the downs..

    He threw two over the top passes, over shot the first one pretty bad.. The 2nd was actually a great pass, but the CB got away with pretty blatant interference..

    I liked his inside throws to Evans..

    Ends with him doing the Johnny Football thing.. Jumped off his back foot to toss to the open man..

    What I liked about the end of this play(and a few others before), is the reaction of the receivers when they meet the first tacklers.. THEY TRY HARD not to go down.. this is an intangible in my opinion.. they see how hard the QB worked to get them that ball and they are a few yards short of the first down, and they seem to be trying harder......

    BobPound!

    @bobpound said:

    What I liked on this set of downs was that he stayed in the pocket as long as he could. I watched him going through processions to at least 2nd and even 3rd receiver on one of the downs..

    I think the word you were looking for was "progressions"...

    I know you are having fun, but you are pretending you are evaluating a QB by watching the QB. You are not seeing the whole field, so you cannot tell whether progressing from his primary to his secondary was warranted.

    On the first series first pass here's what I saw:

    - In the initial sideline view it appeared Evans (split right) was his primary because JM looked right first. The corner was playing off so it looked like if Evans curled at the line to gain, then the first down was a cinch. I can't be sure, but I do not think Evans curled... it may not have been an option for him.

    - The endzone replay shows that next JM looks at double crossing routes just beyond the line to gain; he wisely does not force a throw into three defenders, but a moment later the receiver crossing right to left breaks clear by two steps and the throw is not made.

    - JM then pulls the ball down and takes off... at least he slid at the end.

    That JM misses a lot of throw opportunities was well documented by analyst after analyst leading up to the draft.

    The kid is exciting, but he is also raw. The is, after all, still a kid having only played 2 years at the college level. And he is about to play against bigger faster stronger players than he has ever seen.

    Fans, even his most ardent ones, would be wise to wait patiently for his time to come.

  • I'll be honest, before the draft, some may remember that I had "Anyone But Johnny Scramble" as my signature. I would've hated the pick at #4, but what we did at 4 (player and extra 1st round pick) and where we ultimately took Johnny, was perfectly fine with me. I believe he is worth the risk at 22.

    That being said, I just don't know if his play (could care less about his persona and everything else that surrounds him) is going to translate in the NFL. I hope it does with every fiber of my body as I am tired of loving a loser.

    "Most" of us think he will either be the next HoF QB, or the next Eric Zeier. I am in neither camp and am filled 50/50 with high hopes, and fear. I will root for Johnny when he gets his chance, just like I root for anyone wearing the orange, brown and white laundry.

    In the end, history will be the only one that tells Johnny's story. Some of us will proclaim ourselves as geniuses, while others simply forget what they said about him. Hopefully my hope wins out, and kicks the crap out of my fear.

    @d-bone said:

    I'll be honest, before the draft, some may remember that I had "Anyone But Johnny Scramble" as my signature. I would've hated the pick at #4, but what we did at 4 (player and extra 1st round pick) and where we ultimately took Johnny, was perfectly fine with me. I believe he is worth the risk at 22.

    Good "+1" worthy post... BIG difference in acceptability at 22 rather than 4...

    @bobpound said:

    I agree completely... I do not think (JM) is ready to play yet...

    Well, we have that in common

    Zombo said:

    We will win a Super Bowl when we have a Championship Team. Hopefully Johnny plays a role in that, just like RW did for Seattle.

    Difference being Wilson is a consummate team QB. While there's an ego there to be sure, it is not in your face.

    @bobpound said:

    He has good fundamentals, and if he learns to stand just an extra 1 second in the pocket before bring the ball down and running, he will last a lot longer in the AFC North...

    He needs to take a piece of humble pie and realize that his Johnny Football persona is going to hurt his team if he goes down with a separated shoulder because he went head to head with an NFL linebacker... He has good fundamentals, he needs to sit in the back seat for a while and learn how the NFL works...

    True, but as you tame a phenom like Manziel, do you risk eliminating that which made him the prospect he is?