Jonathan Paul Manziel
-
And don't be fooled into thinking he has always been a shotgun QB. His first year was running Mike Sherman's Pro-style i offense with the scout team.
Why was Sherman practicing against his own offense?
If Haslam had in fact said "you are the backup", it would have been no big deal.
Actually eliminating JM from the competition would have been a much bigger deal.
... many people believe that Alabama's defense is the closest you can come to NFL.
Closest in this use is only relative to all other college defenses. It says nothing about how close it is to an NFL D.
I'm afraid it is far more likely that Hoyer will be hurt. Not at all wanting this to happen but just my opinion.
Whomever starts will be more likely to get hurt. But if we are comparing styles, then I do not see how Hoyer is the more likely of the two.
Yes, he did have a nagging shoulder injury that caused him to miss 2 or 3 series of downs in 2013. And it was caused by a risky play so hopefully he learned from that to protect himself. It, however, was not serious enough to require surgery. Although he is unquestionably immature, he is also smart enough to learn from his mistakes. He should realize that he doesn't need to carry the team as he did in college because the browns have built a strong defensive team. My biggest concern is his ultra competitiveness but I believe that Shanahan will build an offensive scheme to channel that.
I could have written (and actually believe I have written) almost all of your second quote... especially the "ultra competitiveness" bit. Where we differ is in the confidence that he will "realize" or Shanny can "channel".
I see his competitiveness being game situation responsive. I also see it as being an essential part of what makes JM special.
How can it be harnessed without reducing his impact?
How can he survive the recklessness it induces?
These opposing questions present the quandary that I see JM presenting.
I see the read option being run in mini-camp and I shudder. Even if under orders to hand off every time, the league has pronounced any QB carrying out a fake fair game.
For the record I do not regard JM as fragile. But as you ultimately pointed out in your reply to Gip's question, he has played hurt, and in 2013 his hurt diminished his performance.
Why was Sherman practicing against his own offense?Actually eliminating JM from the competition would have been a much bigger deal.Closest in this use is only relative to all other college defenses. It says nothing about how close it is to an NFL D.Whomever starts will be more likely to get hurt. But if we are comparing styles, then I do not see how Hoyer is the more likely of the two.I could have written (and actually believe I have written) almost all of your second quote... especially the "ultra competitiveness" bit. Where we differ is in the confidence that he will "realize" or Shanny can "channel".I see his competitiveness being game situation responsive. I also see it as being an essential part of what makes JM special.How can it be harnessed without reducing his impact?How can he survive the recklessness it induces?These opposing questions present the quandary that I see JM presenting.I see the read option being run in mini-camp and I shudder. Even if under orders to hand off every time, the league has pronounced any QB carrying out a fake fair game.For the record I do not regard JM as fragile. But as you ultimately pointed out in your reply to Gip's question, he has played hurt, and in 2013 his hurt diminished his performance.
The reason I said Hoyer is more likely to be injured is because he has had major knee surgery. It obviously has to be a concern and was the reason given for Mettenberger not going earlier in the draft.
I agree with most of what you said. Only time will tell about the "realize" and "channel" parts. In case you haven't noticed I am not one who believes that Johnny is the messiah. I don't believe he will be a bust but also don't know if he'll be a star. Only time will tell. He took a good number of hits from 300+ lb lineman and the shoulder injury occurred when he was diving near the goal line so I'm not that concerned about the play fake.
-
@everlastingxxx said:
I dont disagree with your general view but i think we have a different definition of what a fan is. I think you can be a fan of a single player. I do think the team can grow on you much like Texas A&M did to me. Anyone who plays fantasy football can probably agree. If you think that somehow makes them less of a fan, then i think you are trying to pigeon hole the term fan.
I think some Brown fans obsess over the past and project it onto the future. Instead of judging Manziel on his own, he has to cure the Browns 31 QB curse too. I see myself as a very level headed knowledgeable football fan. I don’t limit my thinking with outdated views.
OK, but you are focussed on one single individual...and you only see what the potential of that one individual may be....because you like him.
And you are right....I am focussed on rooting for my team....not just for some guy.
And to us....who have been here....just see him as another guy......that hopefully won't turn out like the other guys that preceded him.
But yes, because we don't have our nostrils so near his anus as you do, we do see things more objectively.
We seem him merely as another candidate to be be the one to take the crown. But we also know that there have been candidates before him that have had somewhat similar histories.
I mean, we had the Golden Boy from Notre Dame.
The guy who won more college football games than anyone else.
We had the Red Rifle
We had the guy that made the grass in Kentucky blue.
So, let's put it this way: JFF has something to prove to us.
If he actually does fail like those other false Messiahs, well, unfortuneatly it is something we are used to by now. We are not going to jump off Terminal Tower......but I may have concerns about you....and may want to alert the security forces of the tallest building in Katy TX to keep you off their roof. (Can I assume we are probably talking about a grain silo?)
.and may want to alert the security forces of the tallest building in Katy TX to keep you off their roof. (Can I assume we are probably talking about a grain silo?)
If it's not the grain silo, it's the water tower:

-
(Can I assume we are probably talking about a grain silo?)
Can we please stop with the stereotypes?
Can we please stop with the stereotypes?
Probably not. They are too ingrained. Besides, do you know what the tallest structure is in the town I grew up in right here in NEO?
A grain silo (or the equivalent, it actually held like crushed limestone).
-
Katy is a suburb of Houston and (not wanting to stereotype) probably has more tall buildings than Cleveland. And I've been to Cleveland for work and visited the R&R HOF .
Katy is a suburb of Houston and (not wanting to stereotype) probably has more tall buildings than Cleveland. And I've been to Cleveland for work and visited the R&R HOF .
Houston has more tall buildings than Cleveland, sure. But I doubt Katy did....errr....does.
In fact....sorry dude, but when I google imaged "Katy Texas, tallest structure" this is what I got:

-
Katy is a suburb of Houston and (not wanting to stereotype) probably has more tall buildings than Cleveland. And I've been to Cleveland for work and visited the R&R HOF .
Houston has more tall buildings than Cleveland, sure. But I doubt Katy did....errr....does.
In fact....sorry dude, but when I google imaged "Katy Texas, tallest structure" this is what I got:

In fact....sorry dude, but when I google imaged "Katy Texas, tallest structure" this is what I got:
I would think a country boy like you would know the difference between a grain silo and a grain elevator...
Katy is a suburb of Houston...
It is now... 40 years ago when I moved to Houston was not the case.
It's called urban spr'all y'all...
-
Why was Sherman practicing against his own offense?Actually eliminating JM from the competition would have been a much bigger deal.Closest in this use is only relative to all other college defenses. It says nothing about how close it is to an NFL D.Whomever starts will be more likely to get hurt. But if we are comparing styles, then I do not see how Hoyer is the more likely of the two.I could have written (and actually believe I have written) almost all of your second quote... especially the "ultra competitiveness" bit. Where we differ is in the confidence that he will "realize" or Shanny can "channel".I see his competitiveness being game situation responsive. I also see it as being an essential part of what makes JM special.How can it be harnessed without reducing his impact?How can he survive the recklessness it induces?These opposing questions present the quandary that I see JM presenting.I see the read option being run in mini-camp and I shudder. Even if under orders to hand off every time, the league has pronounced any QB carrying out a fake fair game.For the record I do not regard JM as fragile. But as you ultimately pointed out in your reply to Gip's question, he has played hurt, and in 2013 his hurt diminished his performance.
The reason I said Hoyer is more likely to be injured is because he has had major knee surgery. It obviously has to be a concern and was the reason given for Mettenberger not going earlier in the draft.
I agree with most of what you said. Only time will tell about the "realize" and "channel" parts. In case you haven't noticed I am not one who believes that Johnny is the messiah. I don't believe he will be a bust but also don't know if he'll be a star. Only time will tell. He took a good number of hits from 300+ lb lineman and the shoulder injury occurred when he was diving near the goal line so I'm not that concerned about the play fake.
The reason I said Hoyer is more likely to be injured is because he has had major knee surgery. It obviously has to be a concern and was the reason given for Mettenberger not going earlier in the draft.
I agree with most of what you said. Only time will tell about the "realize" and "channel" parts. In case you haven't noticed I am not one who believes that Johnny is the messiah. I don't believe he will be a bust but also don't know if he'll be a star. Only time will tell. He took a good number of hits from 300+ lb lineman and the shoulder injury occurred when he was diving near the goal line so I'm not that concerned about the play fake.
If you didn't see it, Hoyer's ACL injury was a fluke, attempting a really bad slide- he caught his leg awkwardly. Heck, Dan Marino blew out his Achilles playing the Browns way back, and he wasn't even touched. So I can't see Hoyer being proven as particularly injury prone- at least not yet. True that it usually takes at least a year (or more) to come completely back from that sort of injury. See RG III, who tried to come back too soon. However, Hoyer has had several more months to rehab as opposed to Griffin, and he's been doing everything the docs will allow him to do. Plus Hoyer is more of a pocket passer- he only takes off running when he has to, and I'm pretty sure the coaches have told him to dive and not slide anymore. IMO he's no more an injury risk than any other pocket first qb.

-
The reason I said Hoyer is more likely to be injured is because he has had major knee surgery. It obviously has to be a concern and was the reason given for Mettenberger not going earlier in the draft.
I agree with most of what you said. Only time will tell about the "realize" and "channel" parts. In case you haven't noticed I am not one who believes that Johnny is the messiah. I don't believe he will be a bust but also don't know if he'll be a star. Only time will tell. He took a good number of hits from 300+ lb lineman and the shoulder injury occurred when he was diving near the goal line so I'm not that concerned about the play fake.
If you didn't see it, Hoyer's ACL injury was a fluke, attempting a really bad slide- he caught his leg awkwardly. Heck, Dan Marino blew out his Achilles playing the Browns way back, and he wasn't even touched. So I can't see Hoyer being proven as particularly injury prone- at least not yet. True that it usually takes at least a year (or more) to come completely back from that sort of injury. See RG III, who tried to come back too soon. However, Hoyer has had several more months to rehab as opposed to Griffin, and he's been doing everything the docs will allow him to do. Plus Hoyer is more of a pocket passer- he only takes off running when he has to, and I'm pretty sure the coaches have told him to dive and not slide anymore. IMO he's no more an injury risk than any other pocket first qb.

If you didn't see it, Hoyer's ACL injury was a fluke, attempting a really bad slide- he caught his leg awkwardly. Heck, Dan Marino blew out his Achilles playing the Browns way back, and he wasn't even touched. So I can't see Hoyer being proven as particularly injury prone- at least not yet. True that it usually takes at least a year (or more) to come completely back from that sort of injury. See RG III, who tried to come back too soon. However, Hoyer has had several more months to rehab as opposed to Griffin, and he's been doing everything the docs will allow him to do. Plus Hoyer is more of a pocket passer- he only takes off running when he has to, and I'm pretty sure the coaches have told him to dive and not slide anymore. IMO he's no more an injury risk than any other pocket first qb.

I wasn't indicating that he is injury prone but that once an injury of this magnitude is sustained, complete recovery is a lengthy process as you indicated. I injured my ankle in an auto accident many years ago and was told by orthopedist at the time that would never be 100%. I went through almost a year of PT, but doc was right.
-
In fact....sorry dude, but when I google imaged "Katy Texas, tallest structure" this is what I got:
I would think a country boy like you would know the difference between a grain silo and a grain elevator...
Katy is a suburb of Houston...
It is now... 40 years ago when I moved to Houston was not the case.
It's called urban spr'all y'all...
I would think a country boy like you would know the difference between a grain silo and a grain elevator...
I am a suburban boy....and I know when I see a grain elevator next to a grain silo...and that is what that is.
It is now... 40 years ago when I moved to Houston was not the case.
It's called urban spr'all y'all...
-
Johnny will be the next Brian sipe, mark my words!
Actually, I hope not. I hope he is much better. FYI, no offense to him because he is an all time favorite, but, Brian Sipe never won a single postseason game for the Browns......and I certainly hope/wish/expect JFF to do better than that.
Actually, I hope not. I hope he is much better. FYI, no offense to him because he is an all time favorite, but, Brian Sipe never won a single postseason game for the Browns......and I certainly hope/wish/expect JFF to do better than that.
The only Browns QB to ever win a League MVP award. Yeah he wasn't that good. Ozzie lost that PO game against the raiders or he would of had a win.
-
@everlastingxxx said:
I dont disagree with your general view but i think we have a different definition of what a fan is. I think you can be a fan of a single player. I do think the team can grow on you much like Texas A&M did to me. Anyone who plays fantasy football can probably agree. If you think that somehow makes them less of a fan, then i think you are trying to pigeon hole the term fan.
I think some Brown fans obsess over the past and project it onto the future. Instead of judging Manziel on his own, he has to cure the Browns 31 QB curse too. I see myself as a very level headed knowledgeable football fan. I don’t limit my thinking with outdated views.
OK, but you are focussed on one single individual...and you only see what the potential of that one individual may be....because you like him.
And you are right....I am focussed on rooting for my team....not just for some guy.
And to us....who have been here....just see him as another guy......that hopefully won't turn out like the other guys that preceded him.
But yes, because we don't have our nostrils so near his anus as you do, we do see things more objectively.
We seem him merely as another candidate to be be the one to take the crown. But we also know that there have been candidates before him that have had somewhat similar histories.
I mean, we had the Golden Boy from Notre Dame.
The guy who won more college football games than anyone else.
We had the Red Rifle
We had the guy that made the grass in Kentucky blue.
So, let's put it this way: JFF has something to prove to us.
If he actually does fail like those other false Messiahs, well, unfortuneatly it is something we are used to by now. We are not going to jump off Terminal Tower......but I may have concerns about you....and may want to alert the security forces of the tallest building in Katy TX to keep you off their roof. (Can I assume we are probably talking about a grain silo?)
A cosmic coincidence, but the Red Rifle is Andy Dalton's nickname, who is apparently from Katy, TX.We had the Red Rifle
-
i always thought the bloody wings and the red rifle could be had on the same night?
-
if i have a fantasy football player (let's say aj green) that does not make me a bengals fan? no. does it make me root for him to get certain points? yes. doesn't mean "let's go bengals!"
there are only a couple of JF fans on here who totally love him and could care less about the browns......to them i say find yourself a JF forum.
no disrespect, but why torture us with your misgivings about the team we root for to promote the player you love?
if i have a fantasy football player (let's say aj green) that does not make me a bengals fan? no. does it make me root for him to get certain points? yes. doesn't mean "let's go bengals!"
there are only a couple of JF fans on here who totally love him and could care less about the browns......to them i say find yourself a JF forum.
no disrespect, but why torture us with your misgivings about the team we root for to promote the player you love?
fantasy football has strong undercurrents of covert gayness
f katy
-
Actually, I hope not. I hope he is much better. FYI, no offense to him because he is an all time favorite, but, Brian Sipe never won a single postseason game for the Browns......and I certainly hope/wish/expect JFF to do better than that.
The only Browns QB to ever win a League MVP award. Yeah he wasn't that good. Ozzie lost that PO game against the raiders or he would of had a win.
The only Browns QB to ever win a League MVP award. Yeah he wasn't that good. Ozzie lost that PO game against the raiders or he would of had a win.
Regarding Sipe's MVP- yes, he was that good for a couple of years. But to blame that playoff loss on Ozzie is ridiculous. I should know, I was there, and had a ringside seat in what was to become the Dawg Pound. If you want to pin the blame on anyone for that loss- put it on Coach Riverboat Sam. Yeah, it was cold- but they were in easy Don Cockroft FG range- that would have won the game. FWIW Newsome was triple covered- the second Sipe let go of the ball it was obvious there was no way in hell Ozzie would have a chance at it- it was badly underthrown. BTW, Dave Logan happened to be wide open on the other side.
-
A cosmic coincidence, but the Red Rifle is Andy Dalton's nickname, who is apparently from Katy, TX.We had the Red Rifle
A cosmic coincidence, but the Red Rifle is Andy Dalton's nickname, who is apparently from Katy, TX.
Oh,,,,OK....what was Weeden's nickname?
-
A cosmic coincidence, but the Red Rifle is Andy Dalton's nickname, who is apparently from Katy, TX.
Oh,,,,OK....what was Weeden's nickname?
Oh,,,,OK....what was Weeden's nickname?
The crimson cannon. The ginger Gatling gun. The strawberry slingshot. The henna howitzer.
WSS
-
Oh,,,,OK....what was Weeden's nickname?
The crimson cannon. The ginger Gatling gun. The strawberry slingshot. The henna howitzer.
WSS
The crimson cannon. The ginger Gatling gun. The strawberry slingshot. The henna howitzer.
WSS
The underhanded orang-utan.
-
Since being drafted by the Cleveland Browns in May, noted college party animal Johnny Manziel has addressed those concerns by:1. Partying in Vegas with Rob Gronkowski.2. Guzzling from a bottle of champagne while floating on an inflatable swan in Austin.3. Appearing on an Instagram video at a party in Houston with Drake, presumably drunk and definitely using a stack of money as a phone.Doing one of those things is not ideal, but whatever, he's having a little fun. Doing two of them? That's a concern. Doing all three -- and all in about three weeks?This is a train wreck we're watching.Here's what you're not going to read: Advice to Johnny Manziel. Tell that kid to grow up? Not going to happen here. Near as I can tell, it hasn't happened anywhere. Manziel was a hellion when he got to Texas A&M and he was a hellion when he left. In between he generated so much money that coach Kevin Sumlin doubled his salary to $5 million and the school started a $450 million expansion of Kyle Field. Johnny Manziel was the Aggies' golden goose. Tough love? That was never, ever, ever going to happen at College Station.Doesn't seem to be happening at Cleveland, either. Not yet anyway. Barely two weeks after being picked No. 22 overall, noted college party animal Johnny Manziel told Browns coach Mike Pettine that he was going to Vegas for Memorial Day. Pettine's response to his quarterback, according to Pettine himself: "Have fun."The only place where I've seen anything resembling tough love administered to Manziel was in Wright Thompson's eye-popping ESPN The Magazine piece in July, when Manziel's father, Paul, was quoted at length as being concerned about Johnny's drinking: "It could come unraveled. And when it does, it's gonna be bad. Real bad. It's one night away from the phone ringing, and he's in jail."Paul Manziel isn't exactly circumspect with the media. He told the New York Times in November 2012 that he bought his son a car as a bribe to get him to stop drinking as a high school junior. And that it didn't work. In the July story, Paul Manziel told ESPN that his son drinks to deal with pressure.Whether Paul Manziel ever expressed to Johnny his concern about the phone ringing -- and it's gonna be bad, real bad -- that concern is out there, in print, and uttered by an authority figure in Manziel's life. And less than a year later, after being drafted by the Cleveland Browns and coming into a combination of pressure, free time and serious money, this is what Johnny Manziel did to address his alleged immaturity:1. Partied in Vegas with Rob Gronkowski.2. Guzzled from a bottle of champagne while floating on an inflatable swan in Austin.3. Appeared on an Instagram video at a party in Houston with Drake, presumably drunk and definitely using a stack of money as a phone.So anyway, this isn't an advice column to Manziel. The kid's a genetic lottery winner, born with abilities shared by very few people, abilities worth millions of dollars. If he doesn't have the maturity to cash in that lottery ticket and become the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns, someone else will. Brian Hoyer, perhaps. It's Darwinism, survival of the fittest. If Manziel isn't fit to handle a spot on an NFL roster, someone will replace him. Boo hoo? Nah, not from me. More like: Who's next?One thing I'm noticing this week is the lack of noise around Manziel's frat-boy summer. Have you seen much about it? Seen any hand-wringing? Me either. It's quiet, and I know why:We're scared of the Manziel backlash. We in the media, I mean. Me right here, I know what's coming. The backlash. People who think like, um, Joe Namath, who complained about the busybodies worrying themselves about Manziel by noting, "He's gotta live his life, man. Give him some room ... In his position, he's not entitled to be a regular guy, 22 years old, 21 years old. Everything's blowing out of whack."Two things about that: One, in the photo accompanying that story, Mr. Namath -- Mr. Voice of Reason -- is wearing a fur hoodie. Two, he's inadvertently right about this: Manziel isn't entitled to be a regular guy, 21 or 22 years old. Regular guy? Come on. Manziel's a professional athlete, and not just any professional athlete but a No. 1 draft pick. A quarterback. The Browns drafted him to be their face of the franchise. And their face of the franchise is being photographed floating on an inflatable swan when he's not slurring words into a cell phone made of money.The thing is, Manziel knew the world would be watching. He knew the world would be clucking if he did any of the stuff he was doing at Texas A&M, when he was photographed with bottles of liquor in his hand and sparklers in his mouth and coeds on his arms. He knows people have doubts about his maturity, his ability to handle the freedom that life in the NFL affords a young millionaire.And this is what he did, whether to stick it in the busybodies' face or simply -- and more likely -- because he can:1. Partied in Vegas with Rob Gronkowski.2. Guzzled from a bottle of champagne while floating on an inflatable swan in Austin.3. Appeared on an Instagram video at a party in Houston with Drake, presumably drunk and definitely using a stack of money as a phone.Johnny Manziel's NFL career hasn't started well. No chance in hell it ends well.
-
If he can perform on Sundays (win) then I don't care how much he drinks. But if it affects his performance I do. So far it hasn't seemed to affect his performance at the college level anyway.
-
I'm 99% certain Johnny will drink his way out of the NFL.
I just know. How? Because I'm a Cleveland Brown's fan.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login