Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • There Seems to be quite a few people on this board that are pretty knowledgable about rehabs. I didn't realize I was in the company of so many mental health professionals.

    @cuwoohio said:

    There Seems to be quite a few people on this board that are pretty knowledgeable about rehabs. I didn't realize I was in the company of so many mental health professionals.

    Texas Ag is a retired counselor- he knows what he's talking about. Me? Not mental health, but I've been in the medical (laboratory) field for 40 years. So I humbly submit I know a thing or two about drug testing and the physical and mental effects of drugs. FWIW, alcohol IS a drug.

    Add in, by brother has been in AA for over 30 years- still clean- so I know the signs when someone is starting to lose control. As he says, "one is too many, and ten isn't enough". When you get to that point- you have a problem. That's the primary difference between a social drinker, and an alcoholic- you don't, or can't know when to say "When".

  • My only question is this, is this program to help him stop being lazy, and teach him how to put in the work, and be better prepared? I don't know if he has a drinking problem. Drinking on the weekends isn't indicative of a drinking problem or every college, and 80% of high school kids have drinking problems. His issue is that his talent no longer outweighs the competition. He cannot rely on just going out there and being Johnny football. He actually has to learn, and practice, and put for significant effort.

    Him entering a program is a sham, and he did it for the media and fans. I don't care if he gets blitzed out of his mind on the weekends, just be ready when it's football season, and don't make an ass out of yourself.

  • My only question is this, is this program to help him stop being lazy, and teach him how to put in the work, and be better prepared? I don't know if he has a drinking problem. Drinking on the weekends isn't indicative of a drinking problem or every college, and 80% of high school kids have drinking problems. His issue is that his talent no longer outweighs the competition. He cannot rely on just going out there and being Johnny football. He actually has to learn, and practice, and put for significant effort.

    Him entering a program is a sham, and he did it for the media and fans. I don't care if he gets blitzed out of his mind on the weekends, just be ready when it's football season, and don't make an ass out of yourself.

    cbbacker said:

    My only question is this, is this program to help him stop being lazy, and teach him how to put in the work, and be better prepared? I don't know if he has a drinking problem. Drinking on the weekends isn't indicative of a drinking problem or every college, and 80% of high school kids have drinking problems. His issue is that his talent no longer outweighs the competition. He cannot rely on just going out there and being Johnny football. He actually has to learn, and practice, and put for significant effort.

    Him entering a program is a sham, and he did it for the media and fans. I don't care if he gets blitzed out of his mind on the weekends, just be ready when it's football season, and don't make an ass out of yourself.

    You're an idiot who knows absolutely nothing about what you are commenting on.

  • Get rid of the Bum!!!!! Its like a wart, dont treat it, gnaw it off.

  • @cuwoohio said:

    There Seems to be quite a few people on this board that are pretty knowledgeable about rehabs. I didn't realize I was in the company of so many mental health professionals.

    Texas Ag is a retired counselor- he knows what he's talking about. Me? Not mental health, but I've been in the medical (laboratory) field for 40 years. So I humbly submit I know a thing or two about drug testing and the physical and mental effects of drugs. FWIW, alcohol IS a drug.

    Add in, by brother has been in AA for over 30 years- still clean- so I know the signs when someone is starting to lose control. As he says, "one is too many, and ten isn't enough". When you get to that point- you have a problem. That's the primary difference between a social drinker, and an alcoholic- you don't, or can't know when to say "When".

    @hoorta said:

    Texas Ag is a retired counselor- he knows what he's talking about. Me? Not mental health, but I've been in the medical (laboratory) field for 40 years. So I humbly submit I know a thing or two about drug testing and the physical and mental effects of drugs. FWIW, alcohol IS a drug.

    Add in, by brother has been in AA for over 30 years- still clean- so I know the signs when someone is starting to lose control. As he says, "one is too many, and ten isn't enough". When you get to that point- you have a problem. That's the primary difference between a social drinker, and an alcoholic- you don't, or can't know when to say "When".

    My wife works in the field, and actually I was just being a smart ass. I know it's a difficult process, and many times it takes several attempts to finally make it.

  • One of my closest friends went into rehab 3 times before finding success. The 1st 2 times were each just days before he walked out, but now he has been sober for almost 10 years. It takes real guts to seek help & a lot of support & strength to see it through.

    I admire anyone who takes those steps.

    Mike

  • @hoorta said:

    Texas Ag is a retired counselor- he knows what he's talking about. Me? Not mental health, but I've been in the medical (laboratory) field for 40 years. So I humbly submit I know a thing or two about drug testing and the physical and mental effects of drugs. FWIW, alcohol IS a drug.

    Add in, by brother has been in AA for over 30 years- still clean- so I know the signs when someone is starting to lose control. As he says, "one is too many, and ten isn't enough". When you get to that point- you have a problem. That's the primary difference between a social drinker, and an alcoholic- you don't, or can't know when to say "When".

    My wife works in the field, and actually I was just being a smart ass. I know it's a difficult process, and many times it takes several attempts to finally make it.

    @cuwoohio said:

    My wife works in the field, and actually I was just being a smart ass. I know it's a difficult process, and many times it takes several attempts to finally make it.

    right on the money and unfortunately some never do make it. I have been fortunate that after my rehab 25 years ago Ive not slipped once and my life is the better for it. MOST of the people I was in rehab with are either dead, active and wish they were dead or in jail.

  • 282 days

  • cbbacker said:

    My only question is this, is this program to help him stop being lazy, and teach him how to put in the work, and be better prepared? I don't know if he has a drinking problem. Drinking on the weekends isn't indicative of a drinking problem or every college, and 80% of high school kids have drinking problems. His issue is that his talent no longer outweighs the competition. He cannot rely on just going out there and being Johnny football. He actually has to learn, and practice, and put for significant effort.

    Him entering a program is a sham, and he did it for the media and fans. I don't care if he gets blitzed out of his mind on the weekends, just be ready when it's football season, and don't make an ass out of yourself.

    You're an idiot who knows absolutely nothing about what you are commenting on.

    @texasag1969 said:

    You're an idiot who knows absolutely nothing about what you are commenting on.

    Says the guy who makes no effort to explain anything other than to toss insults. You da man!!

    Are you just ignorant? I didn't say he was or wasn't an alchy. I said his getting hammered on the weekends, this stuff rarely happens during the week. I said i could give a crap as long as he shapes up for football season stupid. So exactly what am I supposed to know?

  • @cuwoohio said:

    My wife works in the field, and actually I was just being a smart ass. I know it's a difficult process, and many times it takes several attempts to finally make it.

    right on the money and unfortunately some never do make it. I have been fortunate that after my rehab 25 years ago Ive not slipped once and my life is the better for it. MOST of the people I was in rehab with are either dead, active and wish they were dead or in jail.

    @jcam222 said:

    right on the money and unfortunately some never do make it. I have been fortunate that after my rehab 25 years ago Ive not slipped once and my life is the better for it. MOST of the people I was in rehab with are either dead, active and wish they were dead or in jail.

    Agreed. It is fortunate that Johnny caught on at an early age that he has a problem.He needs to change the people he runs with though. You can't keep the same friends and get clean.

    The Honey Badger found that out after he got kicked out of LSU. Patrick Peterson and John Lucas (the former Houston Rocket) got him straightened out. His pal Jorden Jefferson never did figure it out.

  • cbbacker said:

    My only question is this, is this program to help him stop being lazy, and teach him how to put in the work, and be better prepared? I don't know if he has a drinking problem. Drinking on the weekends isn't indicative of a drinking problem or every college, and 80% of high school kids have drinking problems. His issue is that his talent no longer outweighs the competition. He cannot rely on just going out there and being Johnny football. He actually has to learn, and practice, and put for significant effort.

    Him entering a program is a sham, and he did it for the media and fans. I don't care if he gets blitzed out of his mind on the weekends, just be ready when it's football season, and don't make an ass out of yourself.

    You're an idiot who knows absolutely nothing about what you are commenting on.

    @texasag1969 said:

    You're an idiot who knows absolutely nothing about what you are commenting on.

    @jcam222 said:

    right on the money and unfortunately some never do make it. I have been fortunate that after my rehab 25 years ago Ive not slipped once and my life is the better for it. MOST of the people I was in rehab with are either dead, active and wish they were dead or in jail.

    That's how it goes.

    cbbacker said:

    Says the guy who makes no effort to explain anything other than to toss insults. You da man!!

    Are you just ignorant? I didn't say he was or wasn't an alchy. I said his getting hammered on the weekends, this stuff rarely happens during the week. I said i could give a crap as long as he shapes up for football season stupid. So exactly what am I supposed to know?

    Rarely happens during the week? How would you know that? OK- I don't know either. That's the problem guy -Manziel DIDN'T shape up during football season. Documented multiple times.

    In case you don't realize it yet- getting hammered will affect you for at least the next day- and doing so on a constant basis will do a nice number on your motivation. I'll posit it's impossible to reach your highest potential as an athlete if you're drinking heavily on a consistent basis.

    Plus- you think the other guys on the team who are taking care of their bodies doing all the right stuff appreciate him going out and getting shitfaced?

  • The kind of temptations JM will face are way more than the average person. I read where some Casino in Vegas offered him six figures just to host a super bowl party. I'm sure that would have made for some nice pictures on TMZ. It still we be the same story though with his recovery he needs to make new friends who will help him make the right decisions and stay away from the party friends. AA is a great organization. I know some people in AA with 10-25 years sobriety and although that is impressive what really impresses me is how motivated they are to help others.

  • I hope one thing Manziel realizes in all this is he has to let go of the "groupies" in his life first and foremost. I believe it was a piece on Tyron Smith the OL for the Cowboys who talked about all this. He pretty much said his career would be over if he didn't completely cut-out all the people who were riding the coat tails and hoping to live the luxury life. It's clear Manziel has tons of people like this in his life and will drag him back down if not removed.

  • I hope one thing Manziel realizes in all this is he has to let go of the "groupies" in his life first and foremost. I believe it was a piece on Tyron Smith the OL for the Cowboys who talked about all this. He pretty much said his career would be over if he didn't completely cut-out all the people who were riding the coat tails and hoping to live the luxury life. It's clear Manziel has tons of people like this in his life and will drag him back down if not removed.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I hope one thing Manziel realizes in all this is he has to let go of the "groupies" in his life first and foremost. I believe it was a piece on Tyron Smith the OL for the Cowboys who talked about all this. He pretty much said his career would be over if he didn't completely cut-out all the people who were riding the coat tails and hoping to live the luxury life. It's clear Manziel has tons of people like this in his life and will drag him back down if not removed.

    I agree totally.

  • Its easy for all of us to kick back and judge this kid. I wish him the best.

  • you don't have to hit rock bottom before acknowledging an issue with polysubstance abuse. I suspect johnny had an aha moment as he witnessed running dog, josh,

    stepping on his dick again as he frittered away what could have been a successful NFL career. there are plenty of nfl players, current and past, who have had success fighting

    the scourge of addiction. johnny needs to align himself with winners to avoid the normal fate of those who choose to use. the crux of it, in my opinion, is that jm has been dealt

    a dose of reality....for the first time in his life he is facing failure resulting in diminished sense of worth and self confidence. he needs to come to terms with the realization that most likely his

    future will not involve the NFL.

    it's over johnny

  • Nice little PR stunt but won't change he is a bust.

  • Johnny Manziel needs a positive role model like Bernie Kosar.

    Kosar had substance abuse issues and got them under control. Maybe he could help mentor Johnny. I know, defending the rookie QB with limited reps is inexcusable. He's clearly garbage. Like everyone on this board isn't drunk off their ass.

  • I knew it would never happen but I would have liked to have seen Bernie Kosar hired as our QB coach.

  • I hope one thing Manziel realizes in all this is he has to let go of the "groupies" in his life first and foremost. I believe it was a piece on Tyron Smith the OL for the Cowboys who talked about all this. He pretty much said his career would be over if he didn't completely cut-out all the people who were riding the coat tails and hoping to live the luxury life. It's clear Manziel has tons of people like this in his life and will drag him back down if not removed.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I hope one thing Manziel realizes in all this is he has to let go of the "groupies" in his life first and foremost. I believe it was a piece on Tyron Smith the OL for the Cowboys who talked about all this. He pretty much said his career would be over if he didn't completely cut-out all the people who were riding the coat tails and hoping to live the luxury life. It's clear Manziel has tons of people like this in his life and will drag him back down if not removed.

    As a good friend of mine (now clean and sober almost 36 years) once told me, the key for him was changing people, places and things. Once he got that all straight, everything changed.