Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • The arm strength has been in question. He has mediocre arm strength.

    At the same time...@@... he has excellent arm strength. Watching him play,

    I prefer to think more the mediocre part, when it comes to the NFL.

    Cribbs was an exciting qb in college. A lot of qb's are terrific in college.

    Manziel is probably the most exciting qb in college ball, but the step up to the NFL

    is a huge one.

    Links:

    ***********************

    Search Results News for Johnny manziel arm strengthHeadlines & Global News2014 NFL Mock Draft: Johnny Manziel to the Minnesota VikingsNFL Spin Zone ‎- 1 day ago
    Unlike Ponder, Manziel has excellent arm strength, and he has even more rushing ability than Ponder. But like Ponder, there are questions as ... Analyzing Johnny: Manziel polarizing NFL scouts, too - CBS Sportswww.cbssports.com/.../analyzing-johnny-manziel-polarizing-nfl-scouts-t...

    ‎CachedAug 26, 2013 - In terms of the NFL, a potentially critical flaw for Manziel is that he currently possesses just average arm strength. This could potentially improve ... Johnny Manziel's demolition of Alabama shows that he's NFL-ready ...mmqb.si.com/2013/09/17/johnny-manziel-nfl-future/‎Cached

    Sep 17, 2013 - Johnny Manziel lacks the arm strength, the build and the choir-boy image, ... quarterback Johnny Manziel make Alabama's NFL prospect-filled, ... Johnny Manziel May Not Announce NFL Draft Decision Before ...bleacherreport.com/.../1862153-johnny-manziel-will-announce-nfl-draft...‎CachedN

    ov 22, 2013 - Texas A&M superstar quarterback Johnny Manziel was reportedly set to ... than that listing—Manziel has displayed pro-caliber arm strength, ...

    @calfoxwc said:

    The arm strength has been in question. He has mediocre arm strength.

    At the same time...@@... he has excellent arm strength. Watching him play,

    I prefer to think more the mediocre part, when it comes to the NFL.

    Cribbs was an exciting qb in college. A lot of qb's are terrific in college.

    Manziel is probably the most exciting qb in college ball, but the step up to the NFL

    is a huge one.

    He may not have an elite arm but its plenty enough to get the ball downfield and much stronger than McCoys. And remember he's only a sophomore were Colt was a senior when he came out. He's got alot more strength to gain in that arm.

  • I would shy away from any QB from the SEC or Big 12; there isn't much defense played down there unless its Alabama.

    I also think he's too cocky, the kind of player a roid-rager like Harrison wants to destroy.

    He's a winner in college, I think its less than 50-50 he makes it in the NFL.

    @bob806 said:

    I would shy away from any QB from the SEC or Big 12; there isn't much defense played down there unless its Alabama.

    I also think he's too cocky, the kind of player a roid-rager like Harrison wants to destroy.

    He's a winner in college, I think its less than 50-50 he makes it in the NFL.

    I'm confused as to which conference plays better d than the sec...
  • @bob806 said:

    I would shy away from any QB from the SEC or Big 12; there isn't much defense played down there unless its Alabama.

    I also think he's too cocky, the kind of player a roid-rager like Harrison wants to destroy.

    He's a winner in college, I think its less than 50-50 he makes it in the NFL.

    I'm confused as to which conference plays better d than the sec...

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I'm confused as to which conference plays better d than the sec...

    45-38 games are the norm the last couple of seasons down there, unless 'Bama is playing

  • That's college football in general really. Other conferences have crappier offenses.

  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I'm confused as to which conference plays better d than the sec...

    45-38 games are the norm the last couple of seasons down there, unless 'Bama is playing

    @bob806 said:

    45-38 games are the norm the last couple of seasons down there, unless 'Bama is playing

    yeah but that's between SEC teams. WHen other teams play the SEC they get approx shit for points no?

  • @bob806 said:

    45-38 games are the norm the last couple of seasons down there, unless 'Bama is playing

    yeah but that's between SEC teams. WHen other teams play the SEC they get approx shit for points no?

    @clevfan4life said:

    yeah but that's between SEC teams. WHen other teams play the SEC they get approx shit for points no?

    http://espn.go.com/college-football/conferences/schedule/_/id/8/sec-conference

    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I don't want to turn this into another thread.

    I don't see Johnny Football succeeding in the NFL, just my 2 cents. I'd rather have a humble, sturdy statured QB coming out of college playing for the Browns.

  • Winter weather affects everyone the same. Doesn't matter if you are from Texas or Alaska. You acclimate to where you live.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Winter weather affects everyone the same. Doesn't matter if you are from Texas or Alaska. You acclimate to where you live.

    Brett Favre did all right in the cold in Green Bay, and he came from Southern Mississippi.....so, yes, that issue can be overcome.

  • I would shy away from any QB from the SEC or Big 12; there isn't much defense played down there unless its Alabama.

    I also think he's too cocky, the kind of player a roid-rager like Harrison wants to destroy.

    He's a winner in college, I think its less than 50-50 he makes it in the NFL.

    @bob806 said:

    I would shy away from any QB from the SEC or Big 12; there isn't much defense played down there unless its Alabama.

    I also think he's too cocky, the kind of player a roid-rager like Harrison wants to destroy.

    He's a winner in college, I think its less than 50-50 he makes it in the NFL.

    Really? Peyton Manning, Eli Manning played in the SEC, Tom Brady and Drew Brees in the Big Ten.

    Need I say more?

    Or do you think we should just get our QBs from like Delaware because that is where Flacco went there? And the only other active SB winning QBs played in the Pac 12 and the MAC.

  • The biggest con in my book is that skip bayless thinks Maziel is going to be a great NFL QB. That's right, skip bayless the same guy who was sucking tebows dick even after the writing on the wall, the same guy who apparently doesn't realize that NCAA and NFL are two different games.

  • The biggest con in my book is that skip bayless thinks Maziel is going to be a great NFL QB. That's right, skip bayless the same guy who was sucking tebows dick even after the writing on the wall, the same guy who apparently doesn't realize that NCAA and NFL are two different games.

    @roycerolls said:

    The biggest con in my book is that skip bayless thinks Maziel is going to be a great NFL QB. That's right, skip bayless the same guy who was sucking tebows dick even after the writing on the wall, the same guy who apparently doesn't realize that NCAA and NFL are two different games.

    While I don't trust his judgment by any means, you know what they say about the blind squirrell.

    Lots of us thought that so and so were going to be the man at QB....you know, names like Weeden/Quinn/Anderson/Frye etc. etc.

    One day one of us will be right about one of these QBs.

  • @bob806 said:

    I would shy away from any QB from the SEC or Big 12; there isn't much defense played down there unless its Alabama.

    I also think he's too cocky, the kind of player a roid-rager like Harrison wants to destroy.

    He's a winner in college, I think its less than 50-50 he makes it in the NFL.

    Really? Peyton Manning, Eli Manning played in the SEC, Tom Brady and Drew Brees in the Big Ten.

    Need I say more?

    Or do you think we should just get our QBs from like Delaware because that is where Flacco went there? And the only other active SB winning QBs played in the Pac 12 and the MAC.

    @the-gipper said:

    Really? Peyton Manning, Eli Manning played in the SEC, Tom Brady and Drew Brees in the Big Ten.

    Need I say more?

    Or do you think we should just get our QBs from like Delaware because that is where Flacco went there? And the only other active SB winning QBs played in the Pac 12 and the MAC.

    Different eras when Peyton & Eli played in the SEC.

    I'm just preaching caution. I don't have the answer on who we should draft as a QB, I just see the SEC's defenses not as strong as they used to be.

  • Here is my take for what its worth on Manziel. I think he has the physical skills to succeed. He has pocket presence, he seems to want to pass first, and not run first, and he also appears cool in the pocket. My major concern is whether he will put the work in, is he mature enough to make the jump right now. If he makes the jump I think he needs to definitely start the year on the bench because he needs to be hardest working guy on the team and I am not sure he is there yet. And the SEC doesn't play great defense argument is bologna. Whether they play it at as good as they have in the past, its not relevant. They play as good as any conference in the country I bet. And Manziel has torched Alabama's vaunted defense two straight years. The dude can play, but will he do the work needed to excel at the next level.

  • that dude MANZIEL will get killed trying to do his roll outs PLUS not being able to see over the OL/DLines.

    yeah he's a great competitor but he doesn't have the arm as brees nor the talent of russell wilson..........2 of the shortest QBs in the league.

    hope he's got a great insurance policy cuz he'll be selling cars in 2 years.

  • that dude MANZIEL will get killed trying to do his roll outs PLUS not being able to see over the OL/DLines.

    yeah he's a great competitor but he doesn't have the arm as brees nor the talent of russell wilson..........2 of the shortest QBs in the league.

    hope he's got a great insurance policy cuz he'll be selling cars in 2 years.

    @miktoxic said:

    that dude MANZIEL will get killed trying to do his roll outs PLUS not being able to see over the OL/DLines.

    yeah he's a great competitor but he doesn't have the arm as brees nor the talent of russell wilson..........2 of the shortest QBs in the league.haha I said the exact same things about WILSON before he was drafted. Truth is, ya never know. I think he'll be great .

    hope he's got a great insurance policy cuz he'll be selling cars in 2 years.

  • Well, Bridgewater made a believer out of me yesterday evening at the Russel Athletic Bowl game.

    He's freakin SMART, decisive, freakin LOVES the game, and is incredibly accurate.

    He threw for way over 400 yards - and not all that often, he can take off and show his running skills.

    Yet, they said Bortles beat him out as American player of the year or something like that.

    I don't doubt that Houston will nabe Bridge with the #1 overall pick.

  • Well, Bridgewater made a believer out of me yesterday evening at the Russel Athletic Bowl game.

    He's freakin SMART, decisive, freakin LOVES the game, and is incredibly accurate.

    He threw for way over 400 yards - and not all that often, he can take off and show his running skills.

    Yet, they said Bortles beat him out as American player of the year or something like that.

    I don't doubt that Houston will nabe Bridge with the #1 overall pick.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Well, Bridgewater made a believer out of me yesterday evening at the Russel Athletic Bowl game.

    He's freakin SMART, decisive, freakin LOVES the game, and is incredibly accurate.

    He threw for way over 400 yards - and not all that often, he can take off and show his running skills.

    Yet, they said Bortles beat him out as American player of the year or something like that.

    I don't doubt that Houston will nabe Bridge with the #1 overall pick.

    He sure did look good

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I don't think he has the stature and arm to do well in bad winter weather, and

    punishing defenses in the Browns' division.

    Johnny has a top 3 arm in this draft. He has the highest completion percentage from the pocket in college football. Derek Carr weighs the same as Manziel and he's 3 inches taller, nobody is questioning his size. Manziel has done this against the best competition in college football. He worked on his throwing a lot and ran a lot less this year. He seems to have a knack for avoididng big hits and he gets down/out of bounds. My vote is for Johnny Football right now if you xant tell.

    Add that he is as competitive as can be...

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Johnny has a top 3 arm in this draft. He has the highest completion percentage from the pocket in college football. Derek Carr weighs the same as Manziel and he's 3 inches taller, nobody is questioning his size. Manziel has done this against the best competition in college football. He worked on his throwing a lot and ran a lot less this year. He seems to have a knack for avoididng big hits and he gets down/out of bounds.

    Agree with all except hit avoidance. The number of big shots he took in 2013 were up from 2012. Main reason seemed to me to be that the team was not as good this year and so he tried to do more than he did in 2012.

    His NFL team is likely not going to be good in 2014, so the set up for BFL big hits (which of course are bigger than he took in college) is there.

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    He may not have an elite arm but its plenty enough to get the ball downfield and much stronger than McCoys.

    Yes... stronger and undamaged.

    @miktoxic said:

    that dude MANZIEL will get killed trying to do his roll outs PLUS not being able to see over the OL/DLines.

    yeah he's a great competitor but he doesn't have the arm as brees nor the talent of russell wilson..........2 of the shortest QBs in the league.

    Few see "over" the line these days. All QB's need throwing lanes for short and even intermediate pass routes.

    And Brees' arm isn't all that strong... I think Johnny's is easily in the same area.

  • I noticed yesterday that a lot of people think Manziel could be the Browns first pick in the 2014 Draft (although the three mock drafts I just saw from CBS Sports and Sports Illustrated didn't have CLE taking a QB there) (Added: Ah, wait, there,... a guy from Bleacher Report has Manziel going to Cleveland.). I haven't followed Manziel that closely, although I've obviously heard the major headlines. I was hoping maybe people could post some facts and opinions about him (positive and negative) to catch me up in case he does end up being the pick. Is he "college good" or "NFL good"? What's with the attitude/behavior issues, and are those going to be a problem in the NFL? Is he the kind of QB who can come in and produce right away, or should we expect to give him the customary "he's a rookie, it's going to take awhile" pass? What do you guys think?

  • The FO knows this draft, and this new HC hire, is pivotal for their own future careers. And by all accounts they have said, clearly, Clevelands fans deserve to win now. Not next year, now. I expect they approach the draft with that same mentality.

  • Am I alone in thinking t,here is something off about Manziel? He seems to like attention too much. Maybe he will be OK, but he seems immature. He just seems like someone who will crash and burn.

    No one wants to hear this but this is not a good year to draft a QB. The pool is not very deep at that position. Every draft year is different, and you have to go with what is available to some extent.