Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.4k 1
  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    I like this Johnny better than last years Johnny. So far so good regarding his media handling.

  • I like this Johnny better than last years Johnny. So far so good regarding his media handling.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    @d-bone said:

    I like this Johnny better than last years Johnny. So far so good regarding his media handling.

    This Johnny is more like the 2012 JM that won the trophy. Seldom talked (not allowed really) but was supercompetitive and much faster than the following year when he was trying to convert to the pro game more. The one sprint for yards yesterday is the JM we knew in 2012. I'm glad they are bringing him along slowly. Has a far better chance to be the QB he wants to be.

    Quote taken by writer Kevin Jones is I feel a very telling statement by Pettine:

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    In Pettine’s eyes, Manziel has taken a big mental leap during this training camp.

    “The one play he made where defense was a heavy blitz look, he walked up, changed the protection, stepped up in the pocket and threw a touchdown pass,” Pettine said. “That was probably, start to finish, his best play of camp … It was more preparation than anything else. I just think he has so much more of an intimate knowledge of what we’re doing.”

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Now that sounds very promising.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    A good knowledge of the offense? He was able to run around like a Retard 90% of the time until he threw a 50/50 ball for Evans or Swope. In fact his knowledge of the offense might not be the issue. His understanding of defense cost him dearly against LSU and UF.

    Yes, he knew the offense. Of the almost 8,000 yards of passing, Johnny completed maybe 5 or 6 "50/50" balls at A&M.

    UF was his first ever college football game. LSU had his number, no doubt. LSU's defense has lots of team's numbers.

    I'm hoping his second pro year mirrors his second year in college, his redshirt freshman year. For this to happen, he has to get his confidence back. He looked like a scared kid against Cincy, something I hated seeing. That was clearly due to his not knowing the playbook and not being able to read an NFL defense. The more time he has to do this, and the more dedicated he is doing it, will lead to his confidence being built back up, similar to what happened after his disastrous first year in college.

    I really like the McCown hire, I've always liked that guy, and with the talent this Browns team has, they could be successful with him in there.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Yes, he knew the offense. Of the almost 8,000 yards of passing, Johnny completed maybe 5 or 6 "50/50" balls at A&M.

    Ok there, guy.

  • @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Yes, he knew the offense. Of the almost 8,000 yards of passing, Johnny completed maybe 5 or 6 "50/50" balls at A&M.

    Ok there, guy.

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Ok there, guy.

    lol

    He must have been talking about the 1st half of the opener.

  • @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Yes, he knew the offense. Of the almost 8,000 yards of passing, Johnny completed maybe 5 or 6 "50/50" balls at A&M.

    Ok there, guy.

    A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by Aggie Brown fan

    @tiamat63 said:

    Ok there, guy.

    Ok what?

    This is a common misconception and false claim about Johnny Manziel. It's funny, too, because on one hand you call me a Johnny fanboy because I'm an Aggie fan, then you turn around and dispute my knowledge of Aggie football.

    So here is a list of 50/50 balls completed by Johnny. You mentioned Swope. Johnny never threw a single 50/50 ball or jump ball to Swope.

    Ole Miss 2012 Evans

    Bama 2013 Evans , Pope

    Arky 2013 Evans td

    That's 4 I can remember. There's probably a couple more, but you act like he won the Heisman by throwing the ball up for grabs 10 times a game. Just stupid. He was a 70% passer, you don't get that by not knowing the offense, not reading the defense, and just throwing the ball up for grabs.

    Johnny highlights are all over YouTube. Feel free to look them up and show me all these 50/50 balls to Swope you're talking about.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by

    I feel the hysteria beginning to build. Just relax. We haven't even played our first pre-season game yet.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    There were just a few more to Evans than that IIRC.

  • There were just a few more to Evans than that IIRC.

    A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    There were just a few more to Evans than that IIRC.

    If you're talking true jump balls, tell me when they were because I've looked. If you're talking back shoulder fades that are contested, those shouldn't be included.

    Glad you agree there were no Swope jump balls.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by wargograw

    What about to Pope Bama 2013?

    Swope definitely wasn't a toss-it-up-to-him-kinda guy.

  • A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by Aggie Brown fan

    I included Pope. The Evans td I mentioned was actually from Arky 2013. I got the years wrong too, so I corrected below.

    Yes, we both know that about Swope because we actually watched the games.

    Ole Miss 2012 Evans

    Bama 2013 Evans , Pope

    Arky 2013 Evans td

  • I feel the hysteria beginning to build. Just relax. We haven't even played our first pre-season game yet.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I feel the hysteria beginning to build.

    No marching band, but...

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I feel the hysteria beginning to build.

    No marching band, but...

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    No marching band, but...

    Old Vets, old T-Birds, old trucks? Damn Tour you're no fun--------nothing to argue with here! 😁 😄

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma

    lol... sorry, I'm a bit off my game today...

    Seriously love that '63 that opens the vid...

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by

    I look forward to the day the Browns draft a QB in the first round and it's not big news that he had "a good day of practice" in his second year and that there is hope because he is "starting to look like a football player".

    Bridgewater & Carr ready to lead THEIR team to the next level.

    Our guy drafted ahead of them "looked good in the shotgun today" while politely not pushing our 35 yo journeyman starter.

    Zombo

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Zombo reading Johnny news in the worst possible light instead of just being happy for the kid. Shocked I tell you.

  • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by

    Can't we be happy with the progress he's been displaying? Good lord it's as if some of you want to see him fail.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    Herewego...

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    Z didn't like being burned last year. Can't blame him a bit. Neither did I after going way out on a limb to suggest JM could overcome JF and be a very good pro QB.

    But here I am again out on a limb with articles like this. Real hope in all this with the realistic notion staff thoroughly understands it's a long progression from JFF to JM the Pro.

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/08/johnny_manziel_if_i_play_well.html

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    progress is good. We like that.

    But, Happy will happen wayyy down the road, when he establishes that he's actually a good starter(and one we can count on)......that'll take a good while.....And since he's pretty much lost everyones trust and confidence, it'll take more than some good practices to earn it back....

    In the mean while, most of us are taking a "wait and see"....and liking it so far.....

    My main fear is all the knob slobberers are on their way back, now thats he's had a couple good practices.....

    So I say.....lets support him and his recent efforts.....complaining about the past gets old....

    At the same time......if theres a sudden influx of Jff fanboys and a bunch of knob licking based only on practice, then expect a BUNCH of push back, followed by a dark miserable spiral back into "Johnny Blah Blah Blah" purgatory.....