Skip to content

Urban Meyer

College Football Forum
132 18 3.7k 1
  • Of course the same programs always win. The teams with the best players win most times. Th schools that have higher standards now a day will not win. It’s over for ND UM and the likes of Stanford. 

  • Of course the same programs always win. The teams with the best players win most times. Th schools that have higher standards now a day will not win. It’s over for ND UM and the likes of Stanford. 

    @browns149 said:

    Of course the same programs always win. The teams with the best players win most times. Th schools that have higher standards now a day will not win. It’s over for ND UM and the likes of Stanford. 

    Agree

  • The coach 100% matters. How was your one year with Luke Fickell? Or us with Hoke?

    An elite coach might make more of a difference in the MAC or something, but they still matter even at powerhouse schools. It's just that the floor is higher.

  • Heart%2Battack.jpg

  • The righteous indignation over the situation is something for weak minds or for people with another agenda.

    Of course I always base what I think based on my experience as an attorney and a magistrate,  ergo, I basically must contemplate what kind of liability does Meyer face and the answers are:

    Criminally:   None

    Civilly:  None

    Morally:  None

    Ethically:  None

    The ONLY responsibility that Meyer may have had in this situation is to comply with these Title IX  rules....which rules I have only heard about the existence of but have not done the research on as to what the so called protocols were there.   So, if anyone knows them, please feel free to post them..   But I also hear that he fully complied with those protocols. 

    So the ONLY thing he may have apparently done wrong is to not tell the truth to a gathering of reporters about the fact that he was aware of certain allegations that took place 3 years ago.  Of course, not telling the truth to reporters is really NOTHING....when it comes to college (or pro) head coaches. They lie about their teams issues every time they take a mike....be it about game plans, injuries etc. etc. etc.   Is it a far far greater mistake to lie about an assistant coach's legal problems than about one of his player's injuries?  It is NOT...not in any official way.  (this is not like Tressel lying to NCAA investigators over the fact that he knew that he players were selling meaningless trinkets).  Only to self righteous arsebags or those with another agenda does it mean anything.

    Sure, what he actually should have said was that "I have a former asst. coach that is having some ongoing legal issues....and it is not appropriate for me to comment on it".    That would have been the proper PR thing to do.....but that was not what he did.  But...the bottom line is that ALL this is about is about a PR situation.  That is IT.   Nothing more.   Perhaps you can yammer yammer yammer on about it being about a serious domestic violence issue.....but that, again, is NOTHING more than a PR matter.   He didn't commit the domestic violence, he didn't cover it up, it appears under the proper protocols.  All he did was not be accurate to a group of reporters.  It is nothing....it is much ado about nothing. 

    And here is a clue for you folks....take it from someone with nearly 38 years in the business:   though I would never pre-judge this case, it is a fact that sometimes women do lie about being a victim of domestic violence.  I have seen it happen on occasion.  They do it out of spite or vindictiveness, or they do it to try to obtain some legal advantage say in a custody dispute. The point is, it IS done on occasion.  I have seen an occasion or two where it is the woman who is the aggressor....who thinks that she can try to pound on her husband/whatever with impunity...where she may slap or hit him numerous times, but if he raises a hand in self defense or just to try to ward off the blows that she is trying to make, then SHE cries domestic violence.   I am not saying that is what has happened here....but I am saying it has happened.  

    And it appears from reports that I have heard that the police had been called out several times...but no charges were ever brought.  That tells me a great deal right there because I am fully aware that the police are very sensitive to accusations that they would not be doing their jobs in a domestic abuse situation.  Routinely...if there is a call made, invariably someone is walking out in handcuffs.  And if they are not,.....it is because the police have concluded that there is not a shred of truth to the accusations involved.  I mean, this was 2015....not 1955. DV is taken very seriously by the police and prosecutors.

    And that is another point....this guy,s wife really has no business calling her husband's bosses wife to complain about him.  These are the people she needed to talk to:   The Police, a Prosecutor, a Judge, a Shelter, an official court appointed abuse counsellor.  I mean, I have never heard of a case where a woman has ever complained that she told her husband's bosses wife, and as a result her husbands' boss has to lose his job.

  • The coach 100% matters. How was your one year with Luke Fickell? Or us with Hoke?

    An elite coach might make more of a difference in the MAC or something, but they still matter even at powerhouse schools. It's just that the floor is higher.

    @mld-woody said:

    The coach 100% matters. How was your one year with Luke Fickell? Or us with Hoke?

    An elite coach might make more of a difference in the MAC or something, but they still matter even at powerhouse schools. It's just that the floor is higher.

    Fickell was 6-7 in his one and done season at OSU first coach with a losing record since 1897 but do remember no matter what big schools generally bury the cupcakes and play the rest. Fickell was 4-8 at cincinnati.

  • I've seen enough OSU fans go on anti media, victim shaming rants. I won't get into anything here. I'll just sit back and see how it all plays out. 

  • I've seen enough OSU fans go on anti media, victim shaming rants. I won't get into anything here. I'll just sit back and see how it all plays out. 

    @mld-woody said:

    I've seen enough OSU fans go on anti media, victim shaming rants. I won't get into anything here. I'll just sit back and see how it all plays out. 

    This is not a victim shaming rant that I posted above.   I am simply giving you REAL life experiences on this subject that occasionally occur.  If we want an expert opinion on contemplating one's navel...we will ask you.  But the legal arena is my domain, and has been for longer than you have been alive.    And I have seen an awful lot...including false allegations of domestic abuse.  I am not saying that this applies here........I am ONLY saying that a multitude of visits to that home with no arrest is a very, very strong indicator.   Talk to any cop about it if you don't believe me. I will be glad to put you in touch with a couple of Police Chiefs I know and have associations with. 

    But, as I said, what this IS all about is simply a PR  fuyuck up.  Like I said, Meyer should have simply declined to answer any questions about that subject because of potentially on going legal consequences. .....and NO ONE would have thought twice about it. 

    Fair to say?

    I mean....really the one thing to question him over was his ability to think on his feet at that question. I hope he thinks better on his feet in the future when he is coaching.

  • " Like I said, Meyer should have simply declined to answer any questions about that subject because of potentially on going legal consequences "

    But he did answer, and he did lie.

    Mary Jo White doesn't play.... I'll wait for her work to end..

  • AxeA Axe

    " Like I said, Meyer should have simply declined to answer any questions about that subject because of potentially on going legal consequences "

    But he did answer, and he did lie.

    Mary Jo White doesn't play.... I'll wait for her work to end..

    @axe said:

    " Like I said, Meyer should have simply declined to answer any questions about that subject because of potentially on going legal consequences "

    But he did answer, and he did lie.

    Mary Jo White doesn't play.... I'll wait for her work to end..

    Yes, he lied....but like I said, it is nothing more than a PR gaffe......meaning it is really nothing at all in substance.   

    And who is Mary Jo White?

  • Ex SEC head..She is leading the investigation. She has done so in 3 or 4 NFL investigations. Ray Rice and the Panther's ex owner Jerry Richardson come to mind..  It's never good news for the principle of the investigation when she is involved it seems..

  • urban will get off with a one game suspension just to appease the ncaa 

  • That rally today was a great look for OSU ..

  • Nothing will happen to him.  It's great to see the support he has at Ohio State.

  • Nothing will happen to him.  It's great to see the support he has at Ohio State.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Nothing will happen to him.  It's great to see the support he has at Ohio State.

    Well, he should actually have something happen to him:   he should be required to take the "Shut the Fuyuck Up when talking to the media if they ask questions about an ongoing legal investigation"  seminar.

    He should just have said:  "We are on to Cincinnati"  (or, in this case, Oregon State)

  • I only have 2 glaring questions that need to be asked.

    1) Why did Courtney Smith drop charges against Zach back in 2015? I mean she IS playing the victim now.

    2) Why did this wait until until the dawn of the college football season to surface? 

    Can anyone enlighten me?

  • So "he only lied to the media" is going to be the new "they were only selling trinkets".  Cool.

  • 4.5 game suspension is the over/under number...  If Mary Jo says "wait, we're not done yet" at the end of 14 days then you can pretty much figure your boy Urban is  phuckened..

  • http://smokeroom.com/2018/08/08/ohio-state-football-zach-smith-contract-details/

    Hmmm, why do you suppose he got such a paltry raise after the 2015 season?

  • So "he only lied to the media" is going to be the new "they were only selling trinkets".  Cool.

    @mld-woody said:

    So "he only lied to the media" is going to be the new "they were only selling trinkets".  Cool.

    I don't know if you are being obtuse, or just demonstrating your ignorance.  Either way it is not unexpected or surprising.

    But to enlighten you:   One:  the selling of the trinkets was/is a violation of NCAA rules....as is lying to the NCAA investigators.

    The other : lying to the media is violative of nothing, nowhere (10-12 lies per day coming out of you know where these days). 

    Certainly it should not have been....but all that it is or ever was is a PR gaffe.

    So...now you have been informed and can no longer plead ignorance.  Your level of obtuseness however, I don't know if I can cure that.