Skip to content

*GAMEDAY THREADS* Eagles & Lions

The Browns Board
218 36 4.8k 1
  • I think it can be dangerous to be squeezed into such a small sample size in NFL history, not 20 or 10 but 3? And one didn't make it at all so two, well we'll see.....

    Kelchner wasn’t drafted out of college, though he did lead the Mountaineers to an undefeated 1993 season. He bounced between a few Arena League teams before looking to a career outside football.

    As for the other two, it sure looks like Sean Payton has a type at quarterback. Brees is famous for producing at one of the highest levels ever despite his height disadvantage, and Daniel has stuck around for so long (despite stops with the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles) largely because he fits a mold similar to Brees. Mayfield has spoken about his height not being an issue in the past:........

    @mjp28 said:

    I think it can be dangerous to be squeezed into such a small sample size in NFL history, not 20 or 10 but 3? And one didn't make it at all so two, well we'll see.....

    Kelchner wasn’t drafted out of college, though he did lead the Mountaineers to an undefeated 1993 season. He bounced between a few Arena League teams before looking to a career outside football.

    As for the other two, it sure looks like Sean Payton has a type at quarterback. Brees is famous for producing at one of the highest levels ever despite his height disadvantage, and Daniel has stuck around for so long (despite stops with the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles) largely because he fits a mold similar to Brees. Mayfield has spoken about his height not being an issue in the past:........

    I removed those parts of the article MJ to emphasize the pre-draft scouting report similarities between Brees and Mayfield (besides their height).  Baker's positives and negatives are listed while there was a link to Brees' in the parts of the article I shared.  

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Can somebody please tell me what the heck happened to Seth Devalve? He was supposed to be a weapon and I don't remember seeing him at all. I know he had a "thigh injury", but I didn't think it was supposed to be serious, yet I've never seen him on the field. 

    DeValve (quad) worked out on the side of practice Sunday, Nate Ulrich of The Akron Beacon Journal reports.

    DeValve has yet to see the field in a preseason tilt due to his quad injury, but his work Sunday seems to indicate he's progressing in his recovery. He's likely competing for the final tight end spot on the active roster and will be hoping to show his worth in Thursday's preseason finale against the Lions.

    https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/browns-seth-devalve-working-towards-return/

    Zombo said:

    DeValve (quad) worked out on the side of practice Sunday, Nate Ulrich of The Akron Beacon Journal reports.

    DeValve has yet to see the field in a preseason tilt due to his quad injury, but his work Sunday seems to indicate he's progressing in his recovery. He's likely competing for the final tight end spot on the active roster and will be hoping to show his worth in Thursday's preseason finale against the Lions.

    https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/browns-seth-devalve-working-towards-return/

    I would not be surprised if Devalve is cut in favor of Cajuste.  Devalve has always struggled with injury, and he's also not a John Dorsey guy.  I don't believe that would be the RIGHT move, but it also wouldn't surprise me either. 

  • Zombo said:

    DeValve (quad) worked out on the side of practice Sunday, Nate Ulrich of The Akron Beacon Journal reports.

    DeValve has yet to see the field in a preseason tilt due to his quad injury, but his work Sunday seems to indicate he's progressing in his recovery. He's likely competing for the final tight end spot on the active roster and will be hoping to show his worth in Thursday's preseason finale against the Lions.

    https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/browns-seth-devalve-working-towards-return/

    I would not be surprised if Devalve is cut in favor of Cajuste.  Devalve has always struggled with injury, and he's also not a John Dorsey guy.  I don't believe that would be the RIGHT move, but it also wouldn't surprise me either. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I would not be surprised if Devalve is cut in favor of Cajuste.  Devalve has always struggled with injury, and he's also not a John Dorsey guy.  I don't believe that would be the RIGHT move, but it also wouldn't surprise me either. 

    They can't cut DeValve!   I think he is the only guy from Princeton that is playing in the league!!😁

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I would not be surprised if Devalve is cut in favor of Cajuste.  Devalve has always struggled with injury, and he's also not a John Dorsey guy.  I don't believe that would be the RIGHT move, but it also wouldn't surprise me either. 

    They can't cut DeValve!   I think he is the only guy from Princeton that is playing in the league!!😁

    @the-gipper said:

    They can't cut DeValve!   I think he is the only guy from Princeton that is playing in the league!!😁

    LOL, good point.  I just know we haven't seen a lick of Devalve, and I'm not totally sure we're keeping him.  I mean, I THINK we are, but Cajuste has value as a special teamer, and I'm not sure how Devalve stacks up in that aspect.  Obviously Devalve is the better receiver, but availability is vital to ability.  Hopefully he's out there in our final preseason game.  Honestly, I really like Devalve and think he's got some real talent.  Would we ever keep four TE's?  I seriously doubt it.  The final cuts are going to be VERY difficult this year, and I guess that's a good thing.  There are going to be some pretty good players without jobs in Cleveland.  

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I would not be surprised if Devalve is cut in favor of Cajuste.  Devalve has always struggled with injury, and he's also not a John Dorsey guy.  I don't believe that would be the RIGHT move, but it also wouldn't surprise me either. 

    They can't cut DeValve!   I think he is the only guy from Princeton that is playing in the league!!😁

    @the-gipper said:

    They can't cut DeValve!   I think he is the only guy from Princeton that is playing in the league!!😁

    Ever wonder why there are so few Ivy Leaguers in the NFL. (not good enough but maybe good to write for the Harvard Lampoon 😆 )

  • @the-gipper said:

    They can't cut DeValve!   I think he is the only guy from Princeton that is playing in the league!!😁

    Ever wonder why there are so few Ivy Leaguers in the NFL. (not good enough but maybe good to write for the Harvard Lampoon 😆 )

    @mjp28 said:

    Ever wonder why there are so few Ivy Leaguers in the NFL. (not good enough but maybe good to write for the Harvard Lampoon 😆 )

    Because now they are mostly brains and not brawn, unlike 100 years ago?

    Actually....in checking, there were 14 Ivy Leaguers on NFL rosters last year:  half of those from Harvard:

    https://herosports.com/fcs/ivy-league-football-well-represented-2017-nfl-rosters-byby

    And note, the Browns have 2 of them:  DeValve...AND  JC Tretter.   Now, I had no clue that he went to Cornell (the only Cornell player in the league).  So, now, clearly I like him a lot better as a player!   Since, after all, my son goes to Cornell.  I'll be darned!

  • @mjp28 said:

    Ever wonder why there are so few Ivy Leaguers in the NFL. (not good enough but maybe good to write for the Harvard Lampoon 😆 )

    Because now they are mostly brains and not brawn, unlike 100 years ago?

    Actually....in checking, there were 14 Ivy Leaguers on NFL rosters last year:  half of those from Harvard:

    https://herosports.com/fcs/ivy-league-football-well-represented-2017-nfl-rosters-byby

    And note, the Browns have 2 of them:  DeValve...AND  JC Tretter.   Now, I had no clue that he went to Cornell (the only Cornell player in the league).  So, now, clearly I like him a lot better as a player!   Since, after all, my son goes to Cornell.  I'll be darned!

    @the-gipper said:

    Because now they are mostly brains and not brawn, unlike 100 years ago?

    Actually....in checking, there were 14 Ivy Leaguers on NFL rosters last year:  half of those from Harvard:

    https://herosports.com/fcs/ivy-league-football-well-represented-2017-nfl-rosters-byby

    And note, the Browns have 2 of them:  DeValve...AND  JC Tretter.   Now, I had no clue that he went to Cornell (the only Cornell player in the league).  So, now, clearly I like him a lot better as a player!   Since, after all, my son goes to Cornell.  I'll be darned!

    Wow, didn't know that there were that many and forgot about QB Fitzpatrick. 

  • *GAMEDAY THREAD* THURSDAY AUG. 30, Min in CLE 1 pm ~and~ CLE in Detroit 7 pm, almost over!

    Date Opp Time TV Indians : Pitcher Opp: Pitcher
    Tue. 28 vs. Min 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSN C. Carrasco (15-7) K. Gibson (7-10)
    Wed. 29 vs. Min 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSN A. Plutko (4-4) K. Stewart (0-1)
    Thu. 30 vs. Min 1:10 PM ET  FB <--- so what TV network is covering this one? M. Clevinger (9-7) J. Odorizzi (5-8)
    Fri. 31 vs. TB 7:10 PM ET  STOh/SUN C. Kluber (16-7)

    And it seemed before the 2018 draft that this day would never come, LAST PRESEASON GAME!

    Preseason Schedule

    Week Day Date Opponent Time TV Result
    Week 2 Thu. 8/9 @ New York Giants 7:00 PM ET NFLN  W 20-10
    Week 3 Fri. 8/17 vs. Buffalo Bills 7:30 PM ET NFLN  L 19-17
    Week 4 Thu. 8/23 vs. Philadelphia Eagles 8:00 PM ET FOX  W 5-0 <--- the BROWNS defense has only given up 27 points so far?
    Week 5 Thu. 8/30 @ Detroit Lions 7:00 PM ET NFLN   

    Schedule

    Week Day Date Opponent Time TV Result
    Week 1 Sun. 9/9 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers 1:00 PM ET CBS   
  • PASSING
    PLAYER POS GP GS ATT CMP PCT YDS AVG YDS/G LNG TD TD% INT INT% SCK YDSL RATE
    Baker Mayfield QB 3 0 45 26 57.8 363 8.07 111.3 54 2 4.4 1 2.2 4 29 89.4
    Tyrod Taylor QB 3 3 28 20 71.4 186 6.64 56.0 36 1 3.6 0 0.0 2 18 101.2
    Brogan Roback QB 1 0 4 2 50.0 22 5.50 22.0 14 0 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 66.7
    Drew Stanton QB 2 0 7 1 14.3 7 1.00 0.5 7 0 0.0 0 0.0 1 6 39.6
     
    Totals   3   84 49 58.3 578 6.88 175.0 54 3 3.6 1 1.2 7 53 86.3
    Opponents   3   112 66 58.9 577 5.15 170.0 39 2 1.8 2 1.8 12 67 71.2
     
    RUSHING
    PLAYER POS GP GS ATT YDS AVG LNG 20+ TD YDS/G FUM FML FD FD%
    Nick Chubb RB 3 0 40 110 2.8 21 1 1 36.7 0 0 6 15.0
    Carlos Hyde RB 3 3 17 108 6.4 33 2 1 36.0 0 0 5 29.4
    Duke Johnson RB 3 0 8 43 5.4 18 0 0 14.3 0 0 3 37.5
    Baker Mayfield QB 3 0 10 32 3.2 6 0 0 10.7 1 0 4 40.0
    Dontrell Hilliard RB 3 0 12 28 2.3 13 0 0 9.3 0 0 1 8.3
    Matt Dayes RB 3 0 6 16 2.7 7 0 0 5.3 0 0 0 0
    Tyrod Taylor QB 3 3 4 12 3.0 5 0 0 4.0 0 0 1 25.0
    Antonio Callaway WR 2 2 1 3 3.0 3 0 0 1.5 0 0 0 0
    Brogan Roback QB 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
     
    Totals   3   99 352 3.6 33 3 2 117.3 3 1 20 20.2
    Opponents   3   76 348 4.6 39 2 1 116.0 3 2 23 30.3.
  • *GAMEDAY THREAD* THURSDAY AUG. 30, Min in CLE 1 pm ~and~ CLE in Detroit 7 pm, almost over!

    Date Opp Time TV Indians : Pitcher Opp: Pitcher
    Tue. 28 vs. Min 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSN C. Carrasco (15-7) K. Gibson (7-10)
    Wed. 29 vs. Min 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSN A. Plutko (4-4) K. Stewart (0-1)
    Thu. 30 vs. Min 1:10 PM ET  FB <--- so what TV network is covering this one? M. Clevinger (9-7) J. Odorizzi (5-8)
    Fri. 31 vs. TB 7:10 PM ET  STOh/SUN C. Kluber (16-7)

    And it seemed before the 2018 draft that this day would never come, LAST PRESEASON GAME!

    Preseason Schedule

    Week Day Date Opponent Time TV Result
    Week 2 Thu. 8/9 @ New York Giants 7:00 PM ET NFLN  W 20-10
    Week 3 Fri. 8/17 vs. Buffalo Bills 7:30 PM ET NFLN  L 19-17
    Week 4 Thu. 8/23 vs. Philadelphia Eagles 8:00 PM ET FOX  W 5-0 <--- the BROWNS defense has only given up 27 points so far?
    Week 5 Thu. 8/30 @ Detroit Lions 7:00 PM ET NFLN   

    Schedule

    Week Day Date Opponent Time TV Result
    Week 1 Sun. 9/9 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers 1:00 PM ET CBS   

    @mjp28 said:

    Preseason Schedule

    Week Day Date Opponent Time TV Result
    Week 2 Thu. 8/9 @ New York Giants 7:00 PM ET NFLN  W 20-10
    Week 3 Fri. 8/17 vs. Buffalo Bills 7:30 PM ET NFLN  L 19-17
    Week 4 Thu. 8/23 vs. Philadelphia Eagles 8:00 PM ET FOX  W 5-0 <--- the BROWNS defense has only given up 27 points so far?
    Week 5 Thu. 8/30 @ Detroit Lions 7:00 PM ET NFLN   
    dd            
                 

    LOL! I know it's picky but 10 + 19 + 0= 29

    You were adding up the columns but forgot the losing score for the Browns in game 2 was on the right side with the other two defensive winning scores.?

  • Guys that could see action: Zeitler (I doubt it), Calloway, and Coley.

    Baker to get significant playing time.

    Fullback Vitale is out and and no mention of DeVulva ... it feels like the world is breaking right for Devon "Juice" Cajuste.

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-to-rest-most-starters-in-preseason-finale-at-detroit

    Zombo

  • Can't believe that after Th nite I will have seen all four of our preseason games live.

  • I heard Flash Gordon will be inactive for the GLC.

  • whats the point of playing baker I believe we all have seen enough of him going up against the 2's thru 4's and the future grocery baggers ( and by we I also mean the coachs )

    it's the 4th pre season game can't we just take a knee

  • @mjp28 said:

    Preseason Schedule

    Week Day Date Opponent Time TV Result
    Week 2 Thu. 8/9 @ New York Giants 7:00 PM ET NFLN  W 20-10
    Week 3 Fri. 8/17 vs. Buffalo Bills 7:30 PM ET NFLN  L 19-17
    Week 4 Thu. 8/23 vs. Philadelphia Eagles 8:00 PM ET FOX  W 5-0 <--- the BROWNS defense has only given up 27 points so far?
    Week 5 Thu. 8/30 @ Detroit Lions 7:00 PM ET NFLN   
    dd            
                 

    LOL! I know it's picky but 10 + 19 + 0= 29

    You were adding up the columns but forgot the losing score for the Browns in game 2 was on the right side with the other two defensive winning scores.?

    @texasag1969 said:

    LOL! I know it's picky but 10 + 19 + 0= 29

    You were adding up the columns but forgot the losing score for the Browns in game 2 was on the right side with the other two defensive winning scores.?

    They said there'd be no math questions! 😒

  • sydS syd

    whats the point of playing baker I believe we all have seen enough of him going up against the 2's thru 4's and the future grocery baggers ( and by we I also mean the coachs )

    it's the 4th pre season game can't we just take a knee

    @syd said:

    whats the point of playing baker I believe we all have seen enough of him going up against the 2's thru 4's and the future grocery baggers ( and by we I also mean the coachs )

    it's the 4th pre season game can't we just take a knee

    Well Baker might get a few weeks of few or no snaps depending on how the season goes, play him like you would a normal preseason quarterback, the first half plus first drive (or so) in the third quarter. 

    Then Stanton, are the BROWNS going to carry three quarterbacks......I imagine that they will.

  • @syd said:

    whats the point of playing baker I believe we all have seen enough of him going up against the 2's thru 4's and the future grocery baggers ( and by we I also mean the coachs )

    it's the 4th pre season game can't we just take a knee

    Well Baker might get a few weeks of few or no snaps depending on how the season goes, play him like you would a normal preseason quarterback, the first half plus first drive (or so) in the third quarter. 

    Then Stanton, are the BROWNS going to carry three quarterbacks......I imagine that they will.

    @mjp28 said:

    Well Baker might get a few weeks of few or no snaps depending on how the season goes, play him like you would a normal preseason quarterback, the first half plus first drive (or so) in the third quarter. 

    Then Stanton, are the BROWNS going to carry three quarterbacks......I imagine that they will.

    last I heard was 3 so give Stanton all those snaps and let baker watch cause he is the future face of the franchise why take a chance of getting him hurt vs a bunch of scrubs who may be bubble players trying to make a name for themselves

  • sydS syd

    @mjp28 said:

    Well Baker might get a few weeks of few or no snaps depending on how the season goes, play him like you would a normal preseason quarterback, the first half plus first drive (or so) in the third quarter. 

    Then Stanton, are the BROWNS going to carry three quarterbacks......I imagine that they will.

    last I heard was 3 so give Stanton all those snaps and let baker watch cause he is the future face of the franchise why take a chance of getting him hurt vs a bunch of scrubs who may be bubble players trying to make a name for themselves

    @syd said:

    last I heard was 3 so give Stanton all those snaps and let baker watch cause he is the future face of the franchise why take a chance of getting him hurt vs a bunch of scrubs who may be bubble players trying to make a name for themselves

    That's the dilemma of sorts when you have a 1 and 1a quarterback instead of a 1 and 2, how much live fire do you give the week 1 starter.....zero. How much to the #1 pick in the draft? The 33 million dollar man and heir apparent to the crown, eh, we'll see on that.

  • @syd said:

    last I heard was 3 so give Stanton all those snaps and let baker watch cause he is the future face of the franchise why take a chance of getting him hurt vs a bunch of scrubs who may be bubble players trying to make a name for themselves

    That's the dilemma of sorts when you have a 1 and 1a quarterback instead of a 1 and 2, how much live fire do you give the week 1 starter.....zero. How much to the #1 pick in the draft? The 33 million dollar man and heir apparent to the crown, eh, we'll see on that.

    @mjp28 said:

    That's the dilemma of sorts when you have a 1 and 1a quarterback instead of a 1 and 2, how much live fire do you give the week 1 starter.....zero. How much to the #1 pick in the draft? The 33 million dollar man and heir apparent to the crown, eh, we'll see on that.

    well I have read up on nfl rules and no we just cannot take a knee to end the game in the first quarter  but we can punt on first down so give are special teams some practice

  • sydS syd

    @mjp28 said:

    That's the dilemma of sorts when you have a 1 and 1a quarterback instead of a 1 and 2, how much live fire do you give the week 1 starter.....zero. How much to the #1 pick in the draft? The 33 million dollar man and heir apparent to the crown, eh, we'll see on that.

    well I have read up on nfl rules and no we just cannot take a knee to end the game in the first quarter  but we can punt on first down so give are special teams some practice

    @syd said:

    well I have read up on nfl rules and no we just cannot take a knee to end the game in the first quarter  but we can punt on first down so give are special teams some practice

    I remember of a few old snowstorm college games where they'd punt on first down to try and recover the fumble.

    But no I guess you can't just forfeit the games and go home, or can you? Hmmmmm, the vendors would hate that!