Skip to content

Haslam is the Problem

The Browns Board
95 31 3.5k 1
  • Haslam is drinking a Blue Moon or Shock Top at the press conference

    @darren15 said:

    Haslam is drinking a Blue Moon or Shock Top at the press conference

    People our age don't drink that vomit tasting Blue Moon.

  • How could you tell what it was? It just looked like orange emergen-C.. 

    Regardless, I completely understand his desire to be somewhat intoxicated on a day like this. 

    What I saw from Haslam? He CARES and he wants to win. 

  • How could you tell what it was? It just looked like orange emergen-C.. 

    Regardless, I completely understand his desire to be somewhat intoxicated on a day like this. 

    What I saw from Haslam? He CARES and he wants to win. 

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    How could you tell what it was? It just looked like orange emergen-C.. 

    Regardless, I completely understand his desire to be somewhat intoxicated on a day like this. 

    What I saw from Haslam? He CARES and he wants to win. 

    I've said that many times. They don't give you an owner's manual when you buy an NFL team. Sure, he's made plenty of mistakes- to my mind only giving Chud one year as HC was one major one, and (probably) getting involved in bringing Johnny Football and his baggage to Cleveland. 

    But as me and Gipper will attest- he really does care about the fans. Few years ago Jimmy was at the Titans game and hung out for awhile at the Middle Tennessee Browns Backers Tailgate. He was at that pregame bash over in London too. How many owners would do that?  

  • @browns52 said:

    questionable means he will probably play some....but they are playing the bills so it probably would be a smart thing to rest him....to your point i believe he is available and not unavailable but the pats are smart because they can smack the bills around without him...

    Gordon has been suspended and fined for 1 quarter of tonights game due to tardiness.    Dude would fuck up a wet dream.

    @mark-o said:

    Gordon has been suspended and fined for 1 quarter of tonight's game due to tardiness.    Dude would Shmuck up a wet dream.

    Just keeps on doing what he's been doing.. He's Bills problem child now....  

  • Dumping money into the stadium could be Haslam's idea of ensuring his cashflow.. that people pay to watch the games even if the team stinks.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Dumping money into the stadium could be Haslam's idea of ensuring his cashflow.. that people pay to watch the games even if the team stinks.

    Because fans think, "I know the team is bad, but boy-o-boy the tile in the shitters sure is nice"???

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Dumping money into the stadium could be Haslam's idea of ensuring his cashflow.. that people pay to watch the games even if the team stinks.

    Because fans think, "I know the team is bad, but boy-o-boy the tile in the shitters sure is nice"???

    @tour2ma said:

    Because fans think, "I know the team is bad, but boy-o-boy the tile in the shitters sure is nice"???

    Of course Jimmy knows the best way to keep the fans happy and the seats full- and be able to raise ticket prices (BTW the Browns have the lowest average price in the NFL)  https://www.statista.com/statistics/193595/average-ticket-price-in-the-nfl-by-team/

    IS TO START WINNING GAMES!

  • I think we have to remember that our owner has had to grow in his role as well... and he started behind the 8-ball.

    Remember, the league imposed some help upon the sale to him.

    • Jimmah got the Browns and Mike Lombardi...
    • Mike pursued Chip (Kelly)...
    • We ended up with Chud(zinski).

    So we were behind before we started.

    Jimmah has made more mistakes to be sure, but he doesn't seem to make the same one twice...

  • After listening to that abortion of a press conference, any reasonable person would have to conclude that Haslam is the problem.  At this juncture, I wish he'd have gone down in the Pilot Flying J scandal and had the franchise yanked from him.  I wouldn't let that silver spooned fool flip burgers at a McDonalds.

  • I think we have to remember that our owner has had to grow in his role as well... and he started behind the 8-ball.

    Remember, the league imposed some help upon the sale to him.

    • Jimmah got the Browns and Mike Lombardi...
    • Mike pursued Chip (Kelly)...
    • We ended up with Chud(zinski).

    So we were behind before we started.

    Jimmah has made more mistakes to be sure, but he doesn't seem to make the same one twice...

    @tour2ma said:

    I think we have to remember that our owner has had to grow in his role as well... and he started behind the 8-ball.

    Remember, the league imposed some help upon the sale to him.

    • Jimmah got the Browns and Mike Lombardi...
    • Mike pursued Chip (Kelly)...
    • We ended up with Chud(zinski).

    So we were behind before we started.

    Jimmah has made more mistakes to be sure, but he doesn't seem to make the same one twice...

    He definitely learned to keep his draft input to a minimum. MHO is he hit it out of the park when he hired Dorsey. Now that John doesn't have the Huebatross circling above (something Jimmy mistakenly saddled him with, and learned- bad move) I think things will be looking up, now that the initial shock of today's moves is starting to wear off.  🙂  

  • After listening to that abortion of a press conference, any reasonable person would have to conclude that Haslam is the problem.  At this juncture, I wish he'd have gone down in the Pilot Flying J scandal and had the franchise yanked from him.  I wouldn't let that silver spooned fool flip burgers at a McDonalds.

    @clark-w-griswold said:

    After listening to that abortion of a press conference, any reasonable person would have to conclude that Haslam is the problem.  At this juncture, I wish he'd have gone down in the Pilot Flying J scandal and had the franchise yanked from him.  I wouldn't let that silver spooned fool flip burgers at a McDonalds.

    Sorry if I don't agree, and I watched the whole thing. Pretty obvious Dorsey is going to be the decision maker from here on out- assuming we see improvement from the team. Not going to be easy with the Chiefs coming in on Sunday after the big shakeup today.   

  • Duey, the only Donald Duck nephew left.....after  Huey and Luey canned in the last 2 days.

    @the-gipper said:

    Duey, the only Donald Duck nephew left.....after  Huey and Luey canned in the last 2 days.

    I’ve been thinking that since Lue got the axe⛏

  • @clark-w-griswold said:

    After listening to that abortion of a press conference, any reasonable person would have to conclude that Haslam is the problem.  At this juncture, I wish he'd have gone down in the Pilot Flying J scandal and had the franchise yanked from him.  I wouldn't let that silver spooned fool flip burgers at a McDonalds.

    Sorry if I don't agree, and I watched the whole thing. Pretty obvious Dorsey is going to be the decision maker from here on out- assuming we see improvement from the team. Not going to be easy with the Chiefs coming in on Sunday after the big shakeup today.   

    @hoorta said:

    Sorry if I don't agree, and I watched the whole thing. Pretty obvious Dorsey is going to be the decision maker from here on out- assuming we see improvement from the team. Not going to be easy with the Chiefs coming in on Sunday after the big shakeup today.   

    Larry, I absolutely agree with you. If Haslam were the problem moving forward, Hue would still be our HC. What I pulled from it is that JH will be in the loop, but Dorsey & staff will make the decisions.

    Jimmy has made mistakes, but he also has attempted different ways of doing things to correct those things. I'm fine with Jimmy. I'll also say this..If I confided something in Jimmy, I feel I could walk away feeling I could trust in him honoring my confidence. I wouldn't trust Hue as far as I could throw hm.

    Mike

  • @hoorta said:

    Sorry if I don't agree, and I watched the whole thing. Pretty obvious Dorsey is going to be the decision maker from here on out- assuming we see improvement from the team. Not going to be easy with the Chiefs coming in on Sunday after the big shakeup today.   

    Larry, I absolutely agree with you. If Haslam were the problem moving forward, Hue would still be our HC. What I pulled from it is that JH will be in the loop, but Dorsey & staff will make the decisions.

    Jimmy has made mistakes, but he also has attempted different ways of doing things to correct those things. I'm fine with Jimmy. I'll also say this..If I confided something in Jimmy, I feel I could walk away feeling I could trust in him honoring my confidence. I wouldn't trust Hue as far as I could throw hm.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Larry, I absolutely agree with you. If Haslam were the problem moving forward, Hue would still be our HC. What I pulled from it is that JH will be in the loop, but Dorsey & staff will make the decisions.

    Jimmy has made mistakes, but he also has attempted different ways of doing things to correct those things. I'm fine with Jimmy. I'll also say this..If I confided something in Jimmy, I feel I could walk away feeling I could trust in him honoring my confidence. I wouldn't trust Hue as far as I could throw hm.

    Mike

    Dude is a massive crook. I wouldn’t trust him with my Netflix password. 

    After he made the team draft Manziel he should have been forced to sell the team. 

    Everytime he talks he sounds like a politician. He didn’t answer a single question they asked him today. 

    Maybe if we are lucky he will get thrown in jail when they are hiring the next coach. 

  • @canton-mike said:

    Larry, I absolutely agree with you. If Haslam were the problem moving forward, Hue would still be our HC. What I pulled from it is that JH will be in the loop, but Dorsey & staff will make the decisions.

    Jimmy has made mistakes, but he also has attempted different ways of doing things to correct those things. I'm fine with Jimmy. I'll also say this..If I confided something in Jimmy, I feel I could walk away feeling I could trust in him honoring my confidence. I wouldn't trust Hue as far as I could throw hm.

    Mike

    Dude is a massive crook. I wouldn’t trust him with my Netflix password. 

    After he made the team draft Manziel he should have been forced to sell the team. 

    Everytime he talks he sounds like a politician. He didn’t answer a single question they asked him today. 

    Maybe if we are lucky he will get thrown in jail when they are hiring the next coach. 

    @hx214 said:

    Dude is a massive crook. I wouldn’t trust him with my Netflix password. 

    After he made the team draft Manziel he should have been forced to sell the team. 

    Everytime he talks he sounds like a politician. He didn’t answer a single question they asked him today. 

    Maybe if we are lucky he will get thrown in jail when they are hiring the next coach. 

    If any of us did what Hillbilly Jimmy did we'd be rotting away in prison. 

    Nice to have the governor of Tennessee as a brother and a boatload of money.

    Always remember the Golden Rule: Those with the gold, rule. 

  • @hx214 said:

    Dude is a massive crook. I wouldn’t trust him with my Netflix password. 

    After he made the team draft Manziel he should have been forced to sell the team. 

    Everytime he talks he sounds like a politician. He didn’t answer a single question they asked him today. 

    Maybe if we are lucky he will get thrown in jail when they are hiring the next coach. 

    If any of us did what Hillbilly Jimmy did we'd be rotting away in prison. 

    Nice to have the governor of Tennessee as a brother and a boatload of money.

    Always remember the Golden Rule: Those with the gold, rule. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    If any of us did what Hillbilly Jimmy did we'd be rotting away in prison. 

    Nice to have the governor of Tennessee as a brother and a boatload of money.

    Always remember the Golden Rule: Those with the gold, rule. 

    He with the gold makes the rule? 

  • @canton-mike said:

    Larry, I absolutely agree with you. If Haslam were the problem moving forward, Hue would still be our HC. What I pulled from it is that JH will be in the loop, but Dorsey & staff will make the decisions.

    Jimmy has made mistakes, but he also has attempted different ways of doing things to correct those things. I'm fine with Jimmy. I'll also say this..If I confided something in Jimmy, I feel I could walk away feeling I could trust in him honoring my confidence. I wouldn't trust Hue as far as I could throw hm.

    Mike

    Dude is a massive crook. I wouldn’t trust him with my Netflix password. 

    After he made the team draft Manziel he should have been forced to sell the team. 

    Everytime he talks he sounds like a politician. He didn’t answer a single question they asked him today. 

    Maybe if we are lucky he will get thrown in jail when they are hiring the next coach. 

    @hx214 said:

    Dude is a massive crook. I wouldn’t trust him with my Netflix password. 

    After he made the team draft Manziel he should have been forced to sell the team. 

    Everytime he talks he sounds like a politician. He didn’t answer a single question they asked him today. 

    Maybe if we are lucky he will get thrown in jail when they are hiring the next coach. 

    Jeezzz, would you like me to give you a blow by blow of stuff other owners that have done that tops Jimmy's bad moves? I can start with the Saints owner letting Mike Ditka trade his entire draft for Ricky Williams....  

    Art Schmodell dumping TWO HOF coaches Paul Brown and Billy Boy (and a close third in Marty) because he was a freaking idiot? 

    There have been NFL owners just as if not more crooked than Haslam. Forget about the DeBartolos? Owner of the Patriots before Kraft took over? I'll let Gipper take over, because he has a lot better memory of that stuff than me...   

  • @stillmotion said:

    Well obviously what we're doing is not the way to be competitive. Just because something worked for someone else doesn't mean it'll work for us, or it won't.

    We really don't know Jimmy and Dorsey's plan. I'm not sure if Dorsey is a yes man, or if Jimmy is still doing moneyball with Depo there.

    Maybe it's good to trade one vet like Jamie Collins. But can you really argue that we should trade all vets? Like Hyde, Gordon, and the rumors that even Devalve is on the trade block with Collins too. How will all of these youngsters feel if all the vets are traded? How will the coordinators be confident we can win any games with practice squad players playing?

    Or are we just tanking? That has to be the case, or Hue wouldn't of said he doesn't feel pressured ever to win right now by Jimmy.

    If this 5 year moneyball plan was to tank for two years, and then win 3-7 games and trade all of the vets for fifth rounders, then it's surely working the right way.

    Baker is good, but the guys blocking him will get him murdered. Who did we replace Joe Thomas with again?

    If you watched the press conference, Dorsey said the moves they're making are to make the team better.   So with 20\20 hindsight unloading Hyde was a move to get Chubb more work. John forced Hue and Haley's hand- take your pick which one. They (meaning the FO) isn't throwing in the towel this year. They want to win and to their mind(s) unloading Hue and Haley was addition by subtraction.   

    @browns52 said:

    i said it before.....josh gordon situation really screwed us because it looks like he is returning to what he used to be yrs ago....he would have made all our other wr's look better because, lets face it...landry is not a future hof'er ......he is not even a number 1 wideout in this league...but i think he would have been a little more productive with gordon drawing alot of attention from the db's....oh well....that's the way it goes in good ole clown town...

    Josh Gordon listed as "questionable" for tonight's game. As Teddy Bruschi said "the best ability is availability".  Gordon was "unavailable" to the Browns for over 1\2 his stay in Cleveland. 

    @darren15 said:

    Haslam is drinking a Blue Moon or Shock Top at the press conference

    I would too, if you're a manager it's a tough job to tell someone you're fired. 

    @hoorta said:

    If you watched the press conference, Dorsey said the moves they're making are to make the team better.   So with 20\20 hindsight unloading Hyde was a move to get Chubb more work. John forced Hue and Haley's hand- take your pick which one. They (meaning the FO) isn't throwing in the towel this year. They want to win and to their mind(s) unloading Hue and Haley was addition by subtraction.   

    Josh Gordon listed as "questionable" for tonight's game. As Teddy Bruschi said "the best ability is availability".  Gordon was "unavailable" to the Browns for over 1\2 his stay in Cleveland. 

    I would too, if you're a manager it's a tough job to tell someone you're fired. 

    I'd say Jimmy is responsible mainly because of the completely messed up reporting system he has which creates instability. Everyone has to report to him, separately. Most of the times a coach would report to a GM and they would work together, but if something goes wrong, Jimmy has everyone seperately reporting to him complaining about someone else.

    Dorsey is what has saved things. A reporter said Jimmy stated he would of kept Hue if it wasn't for Dorsey. He wasn't ready to fire him yet. Bringing in Williams was a Dorsey move, and this, in turn was a Dorsey move too that might save the team. Probably planned ages ago in case Hue started off cold. Ghoolie was wrong, and Dorsey isn't a coffee fetcher for Hue.

    That being said, I'm glad we made a change, because it's apparent Hue just wasn't working. He was telling Haley to call his plays, and Haley was ignoring that and calling his own plays. The whole thing seems like something a teenager would do, but he was a desperate man just trying to keep his job.

    Josh Gordon liked the instagram post about Hue getting fired. Hue could of been a major part of the reason Josh slacked off this year. Maybe he didn't believe in him and thought he was a horrible coach, and just wanted out because of that.

    Jimmy said he was responsible, but this move today made me feel that he was trying to right a wrong with the whole Hue thing. I'm happy he stepped up and listened to Dorsey, Because without Dorsey, we could of very well had Hue till 2020 (I'm not kidding). Whatever he was selling Jimmy, Jimmy believed. This move was human, and it made me change my mind about him tanking for another draft pick and moneyballing for ten years.

    Because admit it, if we kept Hue till 2020, and he didn't win more than 5 games a year, it would mean we're playing moneyball to save money, point blank.

  • @hoorta said:

    If you watched the press conference, Dorsey said the moves they're making are to make the team better.   So with 20\20 hindsight unloading Hyde was a move to get Chubb more work. John forced Hue and Haley's hand- take your pick which one. They (meaning the FO) isn't throwing in the towel this year. They want to win and to their mind(s) unloading Hue and Haley was addition by subtraction.   

    Josh Gordon listed as "questionable" for tonight's game. As Teddy Bruschi said "the best ability is availability".  Gordon was "unavailable" to the Browns for over 1\2 his stay in Cleveland. 

    I would too, if you're a manager it's a tough job to tell someone you're fired. 

    I'd say Jimmy is responsible mainly because of the completely messed up reporting system he has which creates instability. Everyone has to report to him, separately. Most of the times a coach would report to a GM and they would work together, but if something goes wrong, Jimmy has everyone seperately reporting to him complaining about someone else.

    Dorsey is what has saved things. A reporter said Jimmy stated he would of kept Hue if it wasn't for Dorsey. He wasn't ready to fire him yet. Bringing in Williams was a Dorsey move, and this, in turn was a Dorsey move too that might save the team. Probably planned ages ago in case Hue started off cold. Ghoolie was wrong, and Dorsey isn't a coffee fetcher for Hue.

    That being said, I'm glad we made a change, because it's apparent Hue just wasn't working. He was telling Haley to call his plays, and Haley was ignoring that and calling his own plays. The whole thing seems like something a teenager would do, but he was a desperate man just trying to keep his job.

    Josh Gordon liked the instagram post about Hue getting fired. Hue could of been a major part of the reason Josh slacked off this year. Maybe he didn't believe in him and thought he was a horrible coach, and just wanted out because of that.

    Jimmy said he was responsible, but this move today made me feel that he was trying to right a wrong with the whole Hue thing. I'm happy he stepped up and listened to Dorsey, Because without Dorsey, we could of very well had Hue till 2020 (I'm not kidding). Whatever he was selling Jimmy, Jimmy believed. This move was human, and it made me change my mind about him tanking for another draft pick and moneyballing for ten years.

    Because admit it, if we kept Hue till 2020, and he didn't win more than 5 games a year, it would mean we're playing moneyball to save money, point blank.

    @stillmotion said:

    I'd say Jimmy is responsible mainly because of the completely messed up reporting system he has which creates instability. Everyone has to report to him, separately. Most of the times a coach would report to a GM and they would work together, but if something goes wrong, Jimmy has everyone seperately reporting to him complaining about someone else.

    Dorsey is what has saved things. A reporter said Jimmy stated he would of kept Hue if it wasn't for Dorsey. He wasn't ready to fire him yet. Bringing in Williams was a Dorsey move, and this, in turn was a Dorsey move too that might save the team. Probably planned ages ago in case Hue started off cold. Ghoolie was wrong, and Dorsey isn't a coffee fetcher for Hue.

    That being said, I'm glad we made a change, because it's apparent Hue just wasn't working. He was telling Haley to call his plays, and Haley was ignoring that and calling his own plays. The whole thing seems like something a teenager would do, but he was a desperate man just trying to keep his job.

    Josh Gordon liked the instagram post about Hue getting fired. Hue could of been a major part of the reason Josh slacked off this year. Maybe he didn't believe in him and thought he was a horrible coach, and just wanted out because of that.

    Jimmy said he was responsible, but this move today made me feel that he was trying to right a wrong with the whole Hue thing. I'm happy he stepped up and listened to Dorsey, Because without Dorsey, we could of very well had Hue till 2020 (I'm not kidding). Whatever he was selling Jimmy, Jimmy believed. This move was human, and it made me change my mind about him tanking for another draft pick and moneyballing for ten years.

    Because admit it, if we kept Hue till 2020, and he didn't win more than 5 games a year, it would mean we're playing moneyball to save money, point blank.

    I agree with 90% of what you posted. Grossi said (and I agree with him) having both the GM and HC report to him is messed up, and maybe after this season Haslam is willing to change that reporting structure. 

    BTW, if you listened to the presser, axing Hue and Haley was a preemptive move to STOP the team from tanking. I've said it elsewhere in several threads- the last half of the Steelers game, it was obvious the team had quit. I haven't forgotten when we hired Hue to be the HC, he was a hot commodity. Man did he ever fall flat on his face in that regard. I will bet the ranch right now, Jackson will never get another HC gig in the NFL.  

    However,  Jimmy is certainly not into saving money. Sinking $90 million of his own money into the stadium, and reports he's interested in buying into the Columbus Crew to prevent them from moving should be all the proof you need. He will spend- when the time is right. His time with the Steelers impressed upon him the maxim- you can't just buy your way to a championship, (Miami with Suh exhibit A) and if you do- it's usually short lived. 

  • @hx214 said:

    Dude is a massive crook. I wouldn’t trust him with my Netflix password. 

    After he made the team draft Manziel he should have been forced to sell the team. 

    Everytime he talks he sounds like a politician. He didn’t answer a single question they asked him today. 

    Maybe if we are lucky he will get thrown in jail when they are hiring the next coach. 

    Jeezzz, would you like me to give you a blow by blow of stuff other owners that have done that tops Jimmy's bad moves? I can start with the Saints owner letting Mike Ditka trade his entire draft for Ricky Williams....  

    Art Schmodell dumping TWO HOF coaches Paul Brown and Billy Boy (and a close third in Marty) because he was a freaking idiot? 

    There have been NFL owners just as if not more crooked than Haslam. Forget about the DeBartolos? Owner of the Patriots before Kraft took over? I'll let Gipper take over, because he has a lot better memory of that stuff than me...   

    @hoorta said:

    Jeezzz, would you like me to give you a blow by blow of stuff other owners that have done that tops Jimmy's bad moves? I can start with the Saints owner letting Mike Ditka trade his entire draft for Ricky Williams....  

    Art Schmodell dumping TWO HOF coaches Paul Brown and Billy Boy (and a close third in Marty) because he was a freaking idiot? 

    There have been NFL owners just as if not more crooked than Haslam. Forget about the DeBartolos? Owner of the Patriots before Kraft took over? I'll let Gipper take over, because he has a lot better memory of that stuff than me...   

    Victor Kiam (owner of Remington) owned the Pats before Kraft did.. DeBartolo , owned the Niners...

  • I think Jimmy is a problem in general and certainly his record suggests he is. He is too involved and too incompetent.