Skip to content

3-4 defense....

The Browns Board
75 15 1.9k
  • Man the '85 Bears team was fun to watch. 

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    The 4-3 seems vanilla

    Doomsday Defense

    Purple People Eaters

    Legion of Boom

    Steel Curtain 

    2000 Ravens

    What do they all have in common? They are the best Defenses in football history and they were all a 4-3 base Defense. 

    @vikingdawg said:

    What do they all have in common? They are the best Defenses in football history and they were all a 4-3 base Defense. 

    We don’t have the personnel at the moment but maybe in the future we will have a great 4-3 defense. 

    I’d think a stud free safety and a more developed version of the linebackers/defensive line would make me or anyone more convinced in our scheme. 

    Schobert is gonna be great, Kirksey does well in the middle.I think they’d work nicely in the 3-4 together. That would be some nice coverage ability in the middle of the field.

    I recall our 3-4 defense will D’Quell Jackson being pretty solid. Especially with how bad the offense usually was.

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    The 4-3 seems vanilla

    Doomsday Defense

    Purple People Eaters

    Legion of Boom

    Steel Curtain 

    2000 Ravens

    What do they all have in common? They are the best Defenses in football history and they were all a 4-3 base Defense. 

    @vikingdawg said:

    Doomsday Defense

    Purple People Eaters

    Legion of Boom

    Steel Curtain 

    2000 Ravens

    What do they all have in common? They are the best Defenses in football history and they were all a 4-3 base Defense. 

    ravens were 3-4 tho right? they had sam adams and tony siragusa up the middle which is what made that defense work.....yes, i know ray lewis was a raven. Those two monster 2 gappers let ray track the ball carriers through that line....

    imo a very good 43 def is easier to assemble than a 34. U need too many special guys to run a great 34. The SF def when they went to the SB is one of my fav defenses if all time and they're a 34. But they had patrick willis and navarro bowman as ilb'ers. Ahmad brooks and aldon smith as tbe olb'ers.....and the best 5 tech in the league at the time in justin smith. Just a stupidly stacked front 7. They also had a pretty good NT but i cant rem his name right now. 

    i really wish we hadnt gotten rid of shelton and meder. Our interior rotation of those two and ogunjobi would have been world bearers to go along with myles on the outside. That would have covered for our deficiency at LDE. 

  • @vikingdawg said:

    What do they all have in common? They are the best Defenses in football history and they were all a 4-3 base Defense. 

    We don’t have the personnel at the moment but maybe in the future we will have a great 4-3 defense. 

    I’d think a stud free safety and a more developed version of the linebackers/defensive line would make me or anyone more convinced in our scheme. 

    Schobert is gonna be great, Kirksey does well in the middle.I think they’d work nicely in the 3-4 together. That would be some nice coverage ability in the middle of the field.

    I recall our 3-4 defense will D’Quell Jackson being pretty solid. Especially with how bad the offense usually was.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I recall our 3-4 defense will D’Quell Jackson being pretty solid. Especially with how bad the offense usually was.

    the 2 years under shurmur when we ran a 43 with DQ as the mlb and sheard at DE was the most promising defense we had since the very early 2000's when jamir miller was here. That was a 3-4, but after tgat every 34 we ran sucked wholeass

  • dont even get me started on horton and pettines 3-4 defenses. That acheme just diesnt wirk in cleveland i dont know why

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I recall our 3-4 defense will D’Quell Jackson being pretty solid. Especially with how bad the offense usually was.

    the 2 years under shurmur when we ran a 43 with DQ as the mlb and sheard at DE was the most promising defense we had since the very early 2000's when jamir miller was here. That was a 3-4, but after tgat every 34 we ran sucked wholeass

    @clevfan4life said:

    the 2 years under shurmur when we ran a 43 with DQ as the mlb and sheard at DE was the most promising defense we had since the very early 2000's when jamir miller was here. 

    That was a solid defense.  A lot of veterans on it too, though.. and sheard was a very solid player. 

    I just remember the 3-4 defense would bend a lot but not break, even good teams would have some drives and end up settling for FGs a lot.

     I like the schemes that employ both 3-4 and 4-3, considering some teams have better personnel for one or the other.. And injuries can change a game plan defensively.

  • dont even get me started on horton and pettines 3-4 defenses. That acheme just diesnt wirk in cleveland i dont know why

    @clevfan4life said:

    dont even get me started on horton and pettines 3-4 defenses. That acheme just diesnt wirk in cleveland i dont know why

    It didn't work because you need stud LBs for a 3-4.... Browns didn't have any and didn't draft any.

    We wanted QBs.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    the 2 years under shurmur when we ran a 43 with DQ as the mlb and sheard at DE was the most promising defense we had since the very early 2000's when jamir miller was here. 

    That was a solid defense.  A lot of veterans on it too, though.. and sheard was a very solid player. 

    I just remember the 3-4 defense would bend a lot but not break, even good teams would have some drives and end up settling for FGs a lot.

     I like the schemes that employ both 3-4 and 4-3, considering some teams have better personnel for one or the other.. And injuries can change a game plan defensively.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I just remember the 3-4 defense would bend a lot but not break, even good teams would have some drives and end up settling for FGs a lot.

    rem these were the defenses that gave up a couple near 300 yd rushing days to jamaal lewis

  • @vikingdawg said:

    What do they all have in common? They are the best Defenses in football history and they were all a 4-3 base Defense. 

    We don’t have the personnel at the moment but maybe in the future we will have a great 4-3 defense. 

    I’d think a stud free safety and a more developed version of the linebackers/defensive line would make me or anyone more convinced in our scheme. 

    Schobert is gonna be great, Kirksey does well in the middle.I think they’d work nicely in the 3-4 together. That would be some nice coverage ability in the middle of the field.

    I recall our 3-4 defense will D’Quell Jackson being pretty solid. Especially with how bad the offense usually was.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    We don’t have the personnel at the moment but maybe in the future we will have a great 4-3 defense. 

    I’d think a stud free safety and a more developed version of the linebackers/defensive line would make me or anyone more convinced in our scheme. 

    So...you are not all in on Peppers at FS?

    Schobert is gonna be great, Kirksey does well in the middle.I think they’d work nicely in the 3-4 together. That would be some nice coverage ability in the middle of the field.

    I recall our 3-4 defense will D’Quell Jackson being pretty solid. Especially with how bad the offense usually was.

    No, it wasn't....it was pretty lame.  DQJ was lame.  He made a ton of tackles though.....all 6-8-10 yards down the field.

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    We don’t have the personnel at the moment but maybe in the future we will have a great 4-3 defense. 

    I’d think a stud free safety and a more developed version of the linebackers/defensive line would make me or anyone more convinced in our scheme. 

    So...you are not all in on Peppers at FS?

    Schobert is gonna be great, Kirksey does well in the middle.I think they’d work nicely in the 3-4 together. That would be some nice coverage ability in the middle of the field.

    I recall our 3-4 defense will D’Quell Jackson being pretty solid. Especially with how bad the offense usually was.

    No, it wasn't....it was pretty lame.  DQJ was lame.  He made a ton of tackles though.....all 6-8-10 yards down the field.

    @the-gipper said:

    I like peppers at SS. But he only had 1 INT in college... He can HIT and has great tackling ability. Seems like more of an SS. D Randall has been the free safety, he does have decent ball skills; but isn’t an elite FS. Imagine if we had Earl Thomas?..... Cleveland would love Earl Thomas.

    DQ was lame? He was the best tackler at the LB position we’ve had. Too bad the rest of the team was usually bad.

    Anyway, bend what don’t break was my point, the defense breaks, a lot. And is pretty bad in the red zone.

    The Titans, Ravens, Bears, Texans, are among the leaders in fewest big plays. Browns? Second to worst.

    Here is a stat that confirms the 3-4 is legit:

    2575A432-40BB-4256-87FE-29776E055151.thumb.png.fad0a3b4e016da27ab4832498787a0ba.png

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I just remember the 3-4 defense would bend a lot but not break, even good teams would have some drives and end up settling for FGs a lot.

    rem these were the defenses that gave up a couple near 300 yd rushing days to jamaal lewis

    @clevfan4life said:

    rem these were the defenses that gave up a couple near 300 yd rushing days to jamaal lewis

    Nobody on the defense had the talent to tackle J Lewis. The ravens were always good and probably had above average oLine too.

    I’m talking scheme fits with personnel. The DLine has under performed.

     The linebackers(when healthy) would do nicely with there speed and athleticism. 

    Collins - Schobert - Kirksey - Avery

    Garrett  -   Coley   -    Ogunjobi

    (Ogbah rotating in)  

    edit: or have Myles on the edge standing up rushing, and Ogbah as other defensive end.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I like peppers at SS. But he only had 1 INT in college... He can HIT and has great tackling ability. Seems like more of an SS. D Randall has been the free safety, he does have decent ball skills; but isn’t an elite FS. Imagine if we had Earl Thomas?..... Cleveland would love Earl Thomas.

    DQ was lame? He was the best tackler at the LB position we’ve had. Too bad the rest of the team was usually bad.

    Anyway, bend what don’t break was my point, the defense breaks, a lot. And is pretty bad in the red zone.

    The Titans, Ravens, Bears, Texans, are among the leaders in fewest big plays. Browns? Second to worst.

    Here is a stat that confirms the 3-4 is legit:

    2575A432-40BB-4256-87FE-29776E055151.thumb.png.fad0a3b4e016da27ab4832498787a0ba.png

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I like peppers at SS. But he only had 1 INT in college... He can HIT and has great tackling ability. Seems like more of an SS. D Randall has been the free safety, he does have decent ball skills; but isn’t an elite FS. Imagine if we had Earl Thomas?..... Cleveland would love Earl Thomas.

    My bad.....I forgot that they moved Peppers.   I would say he is doing better....but he won't be mistaken for anything like a Pro Bowl caliber DB...which is what we expected to get out of a first rounder.

    DQ was lame? He was the best tackler at the LB position we’ve had. Too bad the rest of the team was usually bad.

    I did not stutter, did I?   DQ was lame....and maybe he was the leader of a lame defense, but he was a lame leader.  AGain, he could make some tackles after the other team gained 6-8-10 yards.  He was almost always out of position.  He was never there to fill gaps in the line to stop the other team short.  Compared to his contemporary at the same position, Ray Lewis,  DQ was creampuff defender.

    Anyway, bend what don’t break was my point, the defense breaks, a lot. And is pretty bad in the red zone.

    The Titans, Ravens, Bears, Texans, are among the leaders in fewest big plays. Browns? Second to worst.

    I would not argue that. This defense seems not to be able to cover the other teams WRs....and they make up for it by not being able to tackle either.

  • Why not? The defense can’t get much worse than it has been. 

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Why not? The defense can’t get much worse than it has been. 

    Please don't tell the truth about Greg Williams Alter Schweizer defense. Haven't you heard? Flugel said Williams was going to have the D whipped up into a frenzy? Whipped Cream with a Zumba instructor dancing around like a Hooters waitress. The D is honestly and indeed, not that good. I predicted Williams D would be far more QB aggressive but undisciplined, Perhaps he needs a couple more players, BUT................. why don't we have better players ? We are 59 million under the cap, and we have Dorsey. D'uh, THIS is the improvement we are supposed to be excited about?

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Why not? The defense can’t get much worse than it has been. 

    Please don't tell the truth about Greg Williams Alter Schweizer defense. Haven't you heard? Flugel said Williams was going to have the D whipped up into a frenzy? Whipped Cream with a Zumba instructor dancing around like a Hooters waitress. The D is honestly and indeed, not that good. I predicted Williams D would be far more QB aggressive but undisciplined, Perhaps he needs a couple more players, BUT................. why don't we have better players ? We are 59 million under the cap, and we have Dorsey. D'uh, THIS is the improvement we are supposed to be excited about?

    @ghoolie said:

    Please don't tell the truth about Greg Williams Alter Schweizer defense. Haven't you heard? Flugel said Williams was going to have the D whipped up into a frenzy? Whipped Cream with a Zumba instructor dancing around like a Hooters waitress. The D is honestly and indeed, not that good. I predicted Williams D would be far more QB aggressive but undisciplined, Perhaps he needs a couple more players, BUT................. why don't we have better players ? We are 59 million under the cap, and we have Dorsey. D'uh, THIS is the improvement we are supposed to be excited about?

    When you lose two starting CBs in the first Q you are NOT going to get much from a defense that relies on them to stop the short game long enough to get to the QB. That being said Williams screwed up big time by trying to blitz on 3rd and 20 rather than just keep the play in front of the backside players. Very stupid!

    And the Zumba dancer is tied for 3rd with Von Miller and JJ Watt @ 9 sacks for the season. And pressuring the QB is his role in the way Williams runs the D, not stopping the run.

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats

  • I really hope the 4-3 will improve, and that it’s just the injuries/few missing pieces that have inspired this post. 

    I wanna stress this again, though: Earl Thomas at free safety.

    He plays harder than any safety in the NORTH since Troy P. Of course, his asking price may be too high. But damn, what a potential signing to bolster this defense. 

  • I really hope the 4-3 will improve, and that it’s just the injuries/few missing pieces that have inspired this post. 

    I wanna stress this again, though: Earl Thomas at free safety.

    He plays harder than any safety in the NORTH since Troy P. Of course, his asking price may be too high. But damn, what a potential signing to bolster this defense. 

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I really hope the 4-3 will improve, and that it’s just the injuries/few missing pieces that have inspired this post. 

    I wanna stress this again, though: Earl Thomas at free safety.

    He plays harder than any safety in the NORTH since Troy P. Of course, his asking price may be too high. But damn, what a potential signing to bolster this defense. 

    Probably better than Troy P.   A lot of what Polamalu did was just run around like a chicken with his head cut off with his wild hair flowing.  And people, including you, apparently thought that that was "playing harder" than anyone else.  While he would make the occasional spectacular play....overall I believe his play was basically above average. An Earl Thomas was probably actually significantly better.....if quieter.

  • our current 4-3 def played the best team in the nfl with factually a top 5 qb of all time,  to a 3pt loss.

    and i disagree that gw doesnt care about stopping the run. He was forced into offseason by dirsey cuts that gutted our run defense in favor of pass rushers that dont pass rush. I really hope dorsey at some point gets made to take accountability fir that.

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I really hope the 4-3 will improve, and that it’s just the injuries/few missing pieces that have inspired this post. 

    I wanna stress this again, though: Earl Thomas at free safety.

    He plays harder than any safety in the NORTH since Troy P. Of course, his asking price may be too high. But damn, what a potential signing to bolster this defense. 

    Probably better than Troy P.   A lot of what Polamalu did was just run around like a chicken with his head cut off with his wild hair flowing.  And people, including you, apparently thought that that was "playing harder" than anyone else.  While he would make the occasional spectacular play....overall I believe his play was basically above average. An Earl Thomas was probably actually significantly better.....if quieter.

    @the-gipper said:

    Probably better than Troy P.   A lot of what Polamalu did was just run around like a chicken with his head cut off with his wild hair flowing.  And people, including you, apparently thought that that was "playing harder" than anyone else.  While he would make the occasional spectacular play....overall I believe his play was basically above average. An Earl Thomas was probably actually significantly better.....if quieter.

    Lol you’re salty AF, bro

    I didn’t say “anyone else” I said safety in the NORTH.

    Thomas probably is better, when he is on the field, which is obviously an issue.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Probably better than Troy P.   A lot of what Polamalu did was just run around like a chicken with his head cut off with his wild hair flowing.  And people, including you, apparently thought that that was "playing harder" than anyone else.  While he would make the occasional spectacular play....overall I believe his play was basically above average. An Earl Thomas was probably actually significantly better.....if quieter.

    Lol you’re salty AF, bro

    I didn’t say “anyone else” I said safety in the NORTH.

    Thomas probably is better, when he is on the field, which is obviously an issue.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Lol you’re salty AF, bro

    I didn’t say “anyone else” I said safety in the NORTH.

    Thomas probably is better, when he is on the field, which is obviously an issue.

    I heard you....and what I said still sticks.   Polamalu's flair may have made it look like he was playing harder, but IMO,  an Ed Reed was much better..and I am not sure he was really any better than TJ Ward.

  • @babernakle said:

    Next year fellas, but we mean it this time.

    next year could be another blow up cause dirsey wants all his boys here. We've seen that before

    @clevfan4life said:

    next year could be another blow up cause dirsey wants all his boys here. We've seen that before

    It's always about next fuking year..