Skip to content

3-4 defense....

The Browns Board
75 15 1.9k
  • I really hope the 4-3 will improve, and that it’s just the injuries/few missing pieces that have inspired this post. 

    I wanna stress this again, though: Earl Thomas at free safety.

    He plays harder than any safety in the NORTH since Troy P. Of course, his asking price may be too high. But damn, what a potential signing to bolster this defense. 

  • I really hope the 4-3 will improve, and that it’s just the injuries/few missing pieces that have inspired this post. 

    I wanna stress this again, though: Earl Thomas at free safety.

    He plays harder than any safety in the NORTH since Troy P. Of course, his asking price may be too high. But damn, what a potential signing to bolster this defense. 

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I really hope the 4-3 will improve, and that it’s just the injuries/few missing pieces that have inspired this post. 

    I wanna stress this again, though: Earl Thomas at free safety.

    He plays harder than any safety in the NORTH since Troy P. Of course, his asking price may be too high. But damn, what a potential signing to bolster this defense. 

    Probably better than Troy P.   A lot of what Polamalu did was just run around like a chicken with his head cut off with his wild hair flowing.  And people, including you, apparently thought that that was "playing harder" than anyone else.  While he would make the occasional spectacular play....overall I believe his play was basically above average. An Earl Thomas was probably actually significantly better.....if quieter.

  • our current 4-3 def played the best team in the nfl with factually a top 5 qb of all time,  to a 3pt loss.

    and i disagree that gw doesnt care about stopping the run. He was forced into offseason by dirsey cuts that gutted our run defense in favor of pass rushers that dont pass rush. I really hope dorsey at some point gets made to take accountability fir that.

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I really hope the 4-3 will improve, and that it’s just the injuries/few missing pieces that have inspired this post. 

    I wanna stress this again, though: Earl Thomas at free safety.

    He plays harder than any safety in the NORTH since Troy P. Of course, his asking price may be too high. But damn, what a potential signing to bolster this defense. 

    Probably better than Troy P.   A lot of what Polamalu did was just run around like a chicken with his head cut off with his wild hair flowing.  And people, including you, apparently thought that that was "playing harder" than anyone else.  While he would make the occasional spectacular play....overall I believe his play was basically above average. An Earl Thomas was probably actually significantly better.....if quieter.

    @the-gipper said:

    Probably better than Troy P.   A lot of what Polamalu did was just run around like a chicken with his head cut off with his wild hair flowing.  And people, including you, apparently thought that that was "playing harder" than anyone else.  While he would make the occasional spectacular play....overall I believe his play was basically above average. An Earl Thomas was probably actually significantly better.....if quieter.

    Lol you’re salty AF, bro

    I didn’t say “anyone else” I said safety in the NORTH.

    Thomas probably is better, when he is on the field, which is obviously an issue.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Probably better than Troy P.   A lot of what Polamalu did was just run around like a chicken with his head cut off with his wild hair flowing.  And people, including you, apparently thought that that was "playing harder" than anyone else.  While he would make the occasional spectacular play....overall I believe his play was basically above average. An Earl Thomas was probably actually significantly better.....if quieter.

    Lol you’re salty AF, bro

    I didn’t say “anyone else” I said safety in the NORTH.

    Thomas probably is better, when he is on the field, which is obviously an issue.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Lol you’re salty AF, bro

    I didn’t say “anyone else” I said safety in the NORTH.

    Thomas probably is better, when he is on the field, which is obviously an issue.

    I heard you....and what I said still sticks.   Polamalu's flair may have made it look like he was playing harder, but IMO,  an Ed Reed was much better..and I am not sure he was really any better than TJ Ward.

  • @babernakle said:

    Next year fellas, but we mean it this time.

    next year could be another blow up cause dirsey wants all his boys here. We've seen that before

    @clevfan4life said:

    next year could be another blow up cause dirsey wants all his boys here. We've seen that before

    It's always about next fuking year.. 

  • next year could be another blow up cause dirsey wants all his boys here. We've seen that before

    In reality the "blowup" should have happened after last year... Hue should have been axed then and this team should have started clean with "Dorsey's Boys".

    This is an instance of where ownership meddles and gets their way to the detriment of the team.

  • @vikingdawg said:

    Doomsday Defense

    Purple People Eaters

    Legion of Boom

    Steel Curtain 

    2000 Ravens

    What do they all have in common? They are the best Defenses in football history and they were all a 4-3 base Defense. 

    ravens were 3-4 tho right? they had sam adams and tony siragusa up the middle which is what made that defense work.....yes, i know ray lewis was a raven. Those two monster 2 gappers let ray track the ball carriers through that line....

    imo a very good 43 def is easier to assemble than a 34. U need too many special guys to run a great 34. The SF def when they went to the SB is one of my fav defenses if all time and they're a 34. But they had patrick willis and navarro bowman as ilb'ers. Ahmad brooks and aldon smith as tbe olb'ers.....and the best 5 tech in the league at the time in justin smith. Just a stupidly stacked front 7. They also had a pretty good NT but i cant rem his name right now. 

    i really wish we hadnt gotten rid of shelton and meder. Our interior rotation of those two and ogunjobi would have been world bearers to go along with myles on the outside. That would have covered for our deficiency at LDE. 

    @clevfan4life said:

    ravens were 3-4 tho right? they had sam adams and tony siragusa up the middle which is what made that defense work.....yes, i know ray lewis was a raven. Those two monster 2 gappers let ray track the ball carriers through that line....

    imo a very good 43 def is easier to assemble than a 34. U need too many special guys to run a great 34. The SF def when they went to the SB is one of my fav defenses if all time and they're a 34. But they had patrick willis and navarro bowman as ilb'ers. Ahmad brooks and aldon smith as tbe olb'ers.....and the best 5 tech in the league at the time in justin smith. Just a stupidly stacked front 7. They also had a pretty good NT but i cant rem his name right now. 

    i really wish we hadnt gotten rid of shelton and meder. Our interior rotation of those two and ogunjobi would have been world bearers to go along with myles on the outside. That would have covered for our deficiency at LDE. 

    In 2000 Ravens ran Marvin Lewis' 4-3 base Defense. They went to a 3-4 when he became HC of the Bengals a few years later. 

    Both Defenses have pluses and minuses, in my opinion the 4-3 works best and is easier to build. With a 3-4 you need to target specific types of players and at a premium in order to run a great 3-4. Not so much with the 4-3 as the 4-3 Defense is all about creating mismatches, you can scheme situations where you can generate a passrush from either DE spot, the UT spot, SLB, MLB and SS. That is a lot of options you can't get from the 3-4. 

    We need to keep the scheme we have and keep adding talent, which again, is easier to do for a 4-3. Look around various rosters and you will see 4-3 Linemen and LBers can be found all over the draft. 

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I really hope the 4-3 will improve, and that it’s just the injuries/few missing pieces that have inspired this post. 

    I wanna stress this again, though: Earl Thomas at free safety.

    He plays harder than any safety in the NORTH since Troy P. Of course, his asking price may be too high. But damn, what a potential signing to bolster this defense. 

    Probably better than Troy P.   A lot of what Polamalu did was just run around like a chicken with his head cut off with his wild hair flowing.  And people, including you, apparently thought that that was "playing harder" than anyone else.  While he would make the occasional spectacular play....overall I believe his play was basically above average. An Earl Thomas was probably actually significantly better.....if quieter.

    @the-gipper said:

    Probably better than Troy P.   A lot of what Polamalu did was just run around like a chicken with his head cut off with his wild hair flowing.  And people, including you, apparently thought that that was "playing harder" than anyone else.  While he would make the occasional spectacular play....overall I believe his play was basically above average. An Earl Thomas was probably actually significantly better.....if quieter.

    Troy P was a poor man's Roy William's, a headhunter with mediocre tackling skills that made a career out of his effeminate hair flowing as he ran around the field lost most of the time and a career out of literally a handful of plays ESPN promoted the Sheet out of. 

  • what is the PROBLEM that this solution of a 3-4 defense is supposed to solve?

    If you want to stop the run.. we had a pretty good 4-3 defense last season against the run.  And we were much better at matching up on the back end earlier this season when.. our DB's were healthy.

    So... is the problem the chalkboard or is the problem the players who are trying to execute the movements on that chalkboard?

  • I really hope the 4-3 will improve, and that it’s just the injuries/few missing pieces that have inspired this post. 

    I wanna stress this again, though: Earl Thomas at free safety.

    He plays harder than any safety in the NORTH since Troy P. Of course, his asking price may be too high. But damn, what a potential signing to bolster this defense. 

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I really hope the 4-3 will improve, and that it’s just the injuries/few missing pieces that have inspired this post. 

    I wanna stress this again, though: Earl Thomas at free safety.

    He plays harder than any safety in the NORTH since Troy P. Of course, his asking price may be too high. But damn, what a potential signing to bolster this defense. 

    A 30 year old safety coming off of a major injury.  Brilliant.  

  • @vikingdawg said:

    Doomsday Defense

    Purple People Eaters

    Legion of Boom

    Steel Curtain 

    2000 Ravens

    What do they all have in common? They are the best Defenses in football history and they were all a 4-3 base Defense. 

    Don't forget one of the greatest of all time, '86 Bears.

    Defense
    FS
    Gary Fencik
    ⋅
    WLB MLB SLB
    Wilber Marshall Mike Singletary Otis Wilson
    ⋅ ⋅ ⋅
    SS
    Dave Duerson
    ⋅
    CB
    Mike Richardson
    ⋅
     
    DE DT DT DE
    Richard Dent William "Refrigerator" Perry Steve McMichael Dan Hampton
    ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ⋅
     
    CB
    Vestee Jackson
    Reggie Phillips

    @texasag1969 said:

    Don't forget one of the greatest of all time, '86 Bears.

    Defense
    FS
    Gary Fencik
    ⋅
    WLB MLB SLB
    Wilber Marshall Mike Singletary Otis Wilson
    ⋅ ⋅ ⋅
    SS
    Dave Duerson
    ⋅
    CB
    Mike Richardson
    ⋅
     
    DE DT DT DE
    Richard Dent William "Refrigerator" Perry Steve McMichael Dan Hampton
    ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ⋅
     
    CB
    Vestee Jackson
    Reggie Phillips

    Can't talk about the most dominant Defense, the Bears' 46, without mentioning #46, Doug Plank (even tho Duerson was a much better SS) and showing the 46 alignment...

    525px-46_green.svg.png

    @clevfan4life said:

    ravens were 3-4 tho right?

    4-3 IIRC... Marvin Lewis, a 4-3 guy, was their DC. Ravens went 3-4 a couple years later when Lewis moved to Cinci and Nolan took the DC job in BLT.

    But there are plenty of great 3-4 defenses to choose from including: Parcell's '80's Giants, Wade Phillips' 2015 Broncos, Bum's '80 Oilers.

  • Worth noting Wade runs a near exclusive 1-gap philosophy that can look like a 43 odd front with a simple shift.    

    The differences between a 1gap, 2gap or blended gap "34" between each other might be greater than Wade Philips vs Gregg Williams save for the personnel and assignment at OLB. 

    Edit: the great Steelers defenses in the early to late 2000's were primarily 2 gap fronts IIRC.

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I really hope the 4-3 will improve, and that it’s just the injuries/few missing pieces that have inspired this post. 

    I wanna stress this again, though: Earl Thomas at free safety.

    He plays harder than any safety in the NORTH since Troy P. Of course, his asking price may be too high. But damn, what a potential signing to bolster this defense. 

    A 30 year old safety coming off of a major injury.  Brilliant.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    A 30 year old safety coming off of a major injury.  Brilliant.  

    I’d take said safety over what we have  had here since 2000

  • @tiamat63 said:

    A 30 year old safety coming off of a major injury.  Brilliant.  

    I’d take said safety over what we have  had here since 2000

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I’d take said safety over what we have  had here since 2000

    In his prime you'll find few people that loved Earls game more than myself.    Especially since DB is home for me.    But it's just not a good get at this point.  Mileage, cost, health.    If he wasn't hurt I might be all for it.  I know the need for a ball hawk centerfielder and the pick we spent on Peppers and not Malik Hooker was near criminal.    But all in all the return you'll get on the investment doesn't appear to be there. 

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I’d take said safety over what we have  had here since 2000

    In his prime you'll find few people that loved Earls game more than myself.    Especially since DB is home for me.    But it's just not a good get at this point.  Mileage, cost, health.    If he wasn't hurt I might be all for it.  I know the need for a ball hawk centerfielder and the pick we spent on Peppers and not Malik Hooker was near criminal.    But all in all the return you'll get on the investment doesn't appear to be there. 

    @tiamat63 said:

     If he wasn't hurt I might be all for it.  I know the need for a ball hawk centerfielder and the pick we spent on Peppers and not Malik Hooker was near criminal.    But all in all the return you'll get on the investment doesn't appear to be there. 

    I like Peppers as a good tackling SS.

    Earl was making highlight shoestring INTs this year before he got hurt.

    And at 30, he still plays hard. That’s how he broke his leg, flying across the field to break up a pass and kicked his leg full speed. (Coaches should have him tone it down)

    He’s just one of those guys I wouldn’t wanna “sleep” on. At least test the waters on a 2 year deal or something.

    I get the risk associated and all but he ain’t no slouch, and this defense needs someone like him.

  • the year the ravens were one of the best defenses of all time im almost 100% positive they were a 3-4....isnt that in 01 when they won the SB?

  • the year the ravens were one of the best defenses of all time im almost 100% positive they were a 3-4....isnt that in 01 when they won the SB?

    @clevfan4life said:

    the year the ravens were one of the best defenses of all time im almost 100% positive they were a 3-4....isnt that in 01 when they won the SB?

    2000.  And they were primarily a 4 man front.   Adams, Siragusa, Mcrey and... can't remember the other end...

  • whoch year am i tjinking of then when the had suggs and johnson as olb'ers? i thought that was the year they were one of the bestvever

  • 01 or 11