Skip to content

FORBES OT/OG

The Browns Board
57 19 2.3k 1
  • @calfoxwc said:

    It's easy to imagine him at tackle - he showed lateral movement to pull very quickly - very smart, very tough, even

    mean every play, blocking a guy right into the ground, and he can go downfield with the rest of the players on the field...

    a steal, I think. These Browns leave no stone unturned, and they know the qualities they are looking for are the right qualities.

    His 32 5/8" arms will push him inside.  His quickness and agility could move him to center.

    @ballpeen said:

    His 32 5/8" arms will push him inside.  His quickness and agility could move him to center.

    Tell ya what, having a center with quicks that can pull is a rare gift and let's you get pretty creative up front. 

  • regardless of my imagination, the depth chart at Ourlads shows him backing up Joel Bitonio, which is very cool.

    https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CLE

  • @ballpeen said:

    His 32 5/8" arms will push him inside.  His quickness and agility could move him to center.

    Tell ya what, having a center with quicks that can pull is a rare gift and let's you get pretty creative up front. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Tell ya what, having a center with quicks that can pull is a rare gift and let's you get pretty creative up front. 

    Which is why NO trade up from 62 to 48 to take C Erik McCoy who was used as an effective pulling center multiple times a game under Jimbo Fisher.

  • @ballpeen said:

    His 32 5/8" arms will push him inside.  His quickness and agility could move him to center.

    Tell ya what, having a center with quicks that can pull is a rare gift and let's you get pretty creative up front. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Tell ya what, having a center with quicks that can pull is a rare gift and let's you get pretty creative up front. 

    I agree.  I wasn't saying that as a put down.  I think we need to look at him there as well as guard..

  • https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/30/prospect-x-mystery-draft-sleeper-reveal

    Prospect X revealed ...... drafts biggest sleeper

  • At least he wasn't prospect XX.

  • Player X rated #105 of the top 150 players of the NFL Draft, according to the article. Not bad in the sixth. 

    The Browns killed this draft. 

    Odel Beckham Jr.

    Greedy Williams

    Sione Takitaki

    Sheldrick Redwine

    Mack Wilson

    Drew Forbes 

    Plus, many of the UDFA that we signed could have decided to come here to play with us over other teams. Many chances at getting a steal there as well. 

  • @darren15 said:

    https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/30/prospect-x-mystery-draft-sleeper-reveal

    Prospect X revealed ...... drafts biggest sleeper

    " Browns area scout Colton Chapple caught his attention at lunch after his pro day, when he told X that Cleveland doesn’t necessarily think he has to move to guard at the next level, they might give him a chance to develop at tackle—the Browns were the only team to tell him that. "

       Well, I said I easily imagine him being able to play tackle. Seems I'm alone. "short arms, move to OG..." ???

    Arms an INCH shorter? Seriously? I'd rather have that, with very quick feet and excellent balance and power, and work ethic and LOVE for the game....than a guy with a bit sluggish feet and balance, with real long arms.

    BTW, Forbes' arm length is 32 3/4 ". Guess whose arm length was 33 3/4 " ?

    http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Joe&l=Thomas&i=7818

       I admire this guy - he will work himself into success with the Browns. I hope Joe Thomas gets to come and work with him.

  • 2" of "wingspan" is a big difference, cal... and wingspan is the better measure, IMO.

    This kid flew under my radar, but the 10 split and 3-cone times are impressive for a 300+ OL...

  • this is Forbes being interviewed - very excellent guy -

    don't be surprised if he starts at RT in the near future.

  • Doubtful his future is at tackle with those t-rex arms

  • @gumby73 said:

    Nasty is a good word.. Get your ? ready !!

         he's got OL prick'ism 🙂 word of the day (prick'ism)..

    I’m guessing at his size and at his school he was a man among boys, but watching this you can see the appeal. Looks like a good candidate for misdirection plays, which l tend to think Kitchens is pretty good at drawing up, and you can definitely see the “finisher” compliment he was given in the interview clip. Gonna be fun to watch this guy develop.

    He seems to have the feets to stick at tackle. 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I’m guessing at his size and at his school he was a man among boys, but watching this you can see the appeal. Looks like a good candidate for misdirection plays, which l tend to think Kitchens is pretty good at drawing up, and you can definitely see the “finisher” compliment he was given in the interview clip. Gonna be fun to watch this guy develop.

    He seems to have the feets to stick at tackle. 

    Well said!  He gets from 1 side of the formation to other at the blink of an eye especially considering he did it as a Tackle. That projects extremely well for trapping and pulling at the next level, which could move him to Guard (aside from the arm length).

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Think he probably needs to move inside like Bitonio and Corbett?

    That clip was a very limited sample size designed to make Forbes look as good as possible, but it looked to me like he has the quicks to stay at Tackle. I mean, they basically used him as a pulling Tackle. You don’t really see much of that in the NFL. So l doubt there will be many designed plays where he’s sweeping behind the line to pick up a block on the other side of Center, but it’s a good asset to have. 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    So l doubt there will be many designed plays where he’s sweeping behind the line to pick up a block on the other side of Center, but it’s a good asset to have. 

    Those are trap plays you speak of and he seems ideal for those.  That's what often unfolds on the mis-direction counters you spoke of in another one of your posts.  There's short traps and long traps but not every defensive scheme is vulnerable to them so you have to pick the right opportunities to call those.  Also, if we do any bootleg/waggle passes - it's not uncommon to pull the OG from 1 side of the formation to the other leading the QB out of the pocket for pass or run.

  • Just thinkin - if an offensive tackle has a long wingspan but sluggish feet and poor balance....wouldn't having

    really quick feet and excellent balance make up for a few inches of wingspan lacking?

    Just askin...I would think so, but....

  • Corbett, Forbes, Bitonio, Tretter and Robinson will be able to buy Baker enough time to find his guy. Baker won't hold on to the ball, get it out and to the playmakers, or take off, quick. They will be a solid line for us.  

  • Just thinkin - if an offensive tackle has a long wingspan but sluggish feet and poor balance....wouldn't having

    really quick feet and excellent balance make up for a few inches of wingspan lacking?

    Just askin...I would think so, but....

    @calfoxwc said:

    Just thinkin - if an offensive tackle has a long wingspan but sluggish feet and poor balance....wouldn't having

    really quick feet and excellent balance make up for a few inches of wingspan lacking?

    Just askin...I would think so, but....

    Few inches begins to push the limits, but yes, I'd trade some span for better feet.

    We've seen a number of 6'6+ OTs in preseason getting beat play after play by speed rushers. OT is slow off the ball... can't get into position so reach, which includes bending at waist, which ends balance...

    If his arms are too short, however, the OT, who has to keep his shoulders perpendicular to a line drawn from him to his QB, will struggle to keep even shorter armed DEs from one-armed "stabbing" them in the chest and sending them off balance. Longer armed DEs can bull both arms into the OT's chest and then control the OT by grabbing their breast plate and pulling or pushing the OT whenever they like.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Just thinkin - if an offensive tackle has a long wingspan but sluggish feet and poor balance....wouldn't having

    really quick feet and excellent balance make up for a few inches of wingspan lacking?

    Just askin...I would think so, but....

    Few inches begins to push the limits, but yes, I'd trade some span for better feet.

    We've seen a number of 6'6+ OTs in preseason getting beat play after play by speed rushers. OT is slow off the ball... can't get into position so reach, which includes bending at waist, which ends balance...

    If his arms are too short, however, the OT, who has to keep his shoulders perpendicular to a line drawn from him to his QB, will struggle to keep even shorter armed DEs from one-armed "stabbing" them in the chest and sending them off balance. Longer armed DEs can bull both arms into the OT's chest and then control the OT by grabbing their breast plate and pulling or pushing the OT whenever they like.

    @tour2ma said:

    Few inches begins to push the limits, but yes, I'd trade some span for better feet.

    We've seen a number of 6'6+ OTs in preseason getting beat play after play by speed rushers. OT is slow off the ball... can't get into position so reach, which includes bending at waist, which ends balance...

    If his arms are too short, however, the OT, who has to keep his shoulders perpendicular to a line drawn from him to his QB, will struggle to keep even shorter armed DEs from one-armed "stabbing" them in the chest and sending them off balance. Longer armed DEs can bull both arms into the OT's chest and then control the OT by grabbing their breast plate and pulling or pushing the OT whenever they like.

    Keep an eye on Forbes vs Vernon in camp for that very example. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Just thinkin - if an offensive tackle has a long wingspan but sluggish feet and poor balance....wouldn't having

    really quick feet and excellent balance make up for a few inches of wingspan lacking?

    Just askin...I would think so, but....

    Few inches begins to push the limits, but yes, I'd trade some span for better feet.

    We've seen a number of 6'6+ OTs in preseason getting beat play after play by speed rushers. OT is slow off the ball... can't get into position so reach, which includes bending at waist, which ends balance...

    If his arms are too short, however, the OT, who has to keep his shoulders perpendicular to a line drawn from him to his QB, will struggle to keep even shorter armed DEs from one-armed "stabbing" them in the chest and sending them off balance. Longer armed DEs can bull both arms into the OT's chest and then control the OT by grabbing their breast plate and pulling or pushing the OT whenever they like.

    @tour2ma said:

    Few inches begins to push the limits, but yes, I'd trade some span for better feet.

    We've seen a number of 6'6+ OTs in preseason getting beat play after play by speed rushers. OT is slow off the ball... can't get into position so reach, which includes bending at waist, which ends balance...

    If his arms are too short, however, the OT, who has to keep his shoulders perpendicular to a line drawn from him to his QB, will struggle to keep even shorter armed DEs from one-armed "stabbing" them in the chest and sending them off balance. Longer armed DEs can bull both arms into the OT's chest and then control the OT by grabbing their breast plate and pulling or pushing the OT whenever they like.

       I got that - I was thinkin of a player - couldn't remember his name on the instant, lol, ...Cameron Erving. 34 1/8 " wingspan....

    but didn't have much of a love for the game, not much on aggressiveness I think it was... very athletic... even very athletic, I don't think he was very bendable....still was never able to play at LOT. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't the inch of shorter arm (one arm push to one side, right?) is a problem that isn't able to be overcome with quickness, power, agility, and aggressiveness/work ethic...

       Of course, all things being equal, I'd take the longer-armed guy, sure. I honestly don't know - Flugels was a mean offensive lineman - I thought of Flugels playing football when I heard Bitonio, Corbett and Forbes' meanness on the field.

  • Zombo said:

    Where is the love for Chris Hubbard? Really played well down the stretch.

    Zombo

    Certainly need a good guy to step up in a pinch. Can't have enough of these guys. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Few inches begins to push the limits, but yes, I'd trade some span for better feet.

    We've seen a number of 6'6+ OTs in preseason getting beat play after play by speed rushers. OT is slow off the ball... can't get into position so reach, which includes bending at waist, which ends balance...

    If his arms are too short, however, the OT, who has to keep his shoulders perpendicular to a line drawn from him to his QB, will struggle to keep even shorter armed DEs from one-armed "stabbing" them in the chest and sending them off balance. Longer armed DEs can bull both arms into the OT's chest and then control the OT by grabbing their breast plate and pulling or pushing the OT whenever they like.

       I got that - I was thinkin of a player - couldn't remember his name on the instant, lol, ...Cameron Erving. 34 1/8 " wingspan....

    but didn't have much of a love for the game, not much on aggressiveness I think it was... very athletic... even very athletic, I don't think he was very bendable....still was never able to play at LOT. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't the inch of shorter arm (one arm push to one side, right?) is a problem that isn't able to be overcome with quickness, power, agility, and aggressiveness/work ethic...

       Of course, all things being equal, I'd take the longer-armed guy, sure. I honestly don't know - Flugels was a mean offensive lineman - I thought of Flugels playing football when I heard Bitonio, Corbett and Forbes' meanness on the field.

    @calfoxwc said:

       I got that - I was thinkin of a player - couldn't remember his name on the instant, lol, ...Cameron Erving. 34 1/8 " wingspan....

    but didn't have much of a love for the game, not much on aggressiveness I think it was... very athletic... even very athletic, I don't think he was very bendable....still was never able to play at LOT. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't the inch of shorter arm (one arm push to one side, right?) is a problem that isn't able to be overcome with quickness, power, agility, and aggressiveness/work ethic...

       Of course, all things being equal, I'd take the longer-armed guy, sure. I honestly don't know - Flugels was a mean offensive lineman - I thought of Flugels playing football when I heard Bitonio, Corbett and Forbes' meanness on the field.

    1. Don't confuse arm-length (the measurement you quoted for Cam) with wingspan. Wingspan, finger tip to finger tip, eliminates measurement variables and includes the width of the OL's frame.

    2. Again... within limits I'll trade off arm-length, but there is one thing you fail to mention.... Technique.

    I used to think any player could learn technique. Drafting athletic OL and  teaching tech was the way you built OL depth... both in the NFL and in various sims (Head Coach, Madden, etc.), but now so many OL leave college with such a weak foundation that this path is far less traveled. In fact only the Pats (or more precisely, Scarnecchia) have a recent track record of "raising" OL.

    3. TBH... I'm not sure what qualifies as mean for an OL in today's game. Maybe consistently finishing blocks to the ground? There certainly are no Conrad Doblers in today's NFL.