Da Bears - Time to move on past Trubisky? Another draft casualty?
-
The dude had, what, 12 college starts and then gets thrown in as starter almost from the jump. He has some success initially, because the Bears kept things simple, but once they tried to expand the playbook and ask him to do what is expected of a veteran QB, he's struggled.
How many times do we have to see this scenario play out before NFL teams stop making this mistake?
-
The dude had, what, 12 college starts and then gets thrown in as starter almost from the jump. He has some success initially, because the Bears kept things simple, but once they tried to expand the playbook and ask him to do what is expected of a veteran QB, he's struggled.
How many times do we have to see this scenario play out before NFL teams stop making this mistake?
The dude had, what, 12 college starts and then gets thrown in as starter almost from the jump. He has some success initially, because the Bears kept things simple, but once they tried to expand the playbook and ask him to do what is expected of a veteran QB, he's struggled.
How many times do we have to see this scenario play out before NFL teams stop making this mistake?
We lived through the Kizer fiasco......I only wonder if he had stayed one more full year at ND before before turning professional football, oh well.....
-
The dude had, what, 12 college starts and then gets thrown in as starter almost from the jump. He has some success initially, because the Bears kept things simple, but once they tried to expand the playbook and ask him to do what is expected of a veteran QB, he's struggled.
How many times do we have to see this scenario play out before NFL teams stop making this mistake?
We lived through the Kizer fiasco......I only wonder if he had stayed one more full year at ND before before turning professional football, oh well.....
We lived through the Kizer fiasco......I only wonder if he had stayed one more full year at ND before before turning professional football, oh well.....
I always wondered about that too. Also, lots of similarities between Kizer and Baker right now. High passes, running to the right and chucking it, turning it over in the red zone, hardly ever throwing TD passes, bad luck INTs off receiver's hands, etc.
-
We lived through the Kizer fiasco......I only wonder if he had stayed one more full year at ND before before turning professional football, oh well.....
I always wondered about that too. Also, lots of similarities between Kizer and Baker right now. High passes, running to the right and chucking it, turning it over in the red zone, hardly ever throwing TD passes, bad luck INTs off receiver's hands, etc.
I always wondered about that too. Also, lots of similarities between Kizer and Baker right now. High passes, running to the right and chucking it, turning it over in the red zone, hardly ever throwing TD passes, bad luck INTs off receiver's hands, etc.
Oh and if traded or whatever what would his value be? Starter on a desperate team? Backup on a good team with an established quarterback -or- do da Bears keep him?
-
The dude had, what, 12 college starts and then gets thrown in as starter almost from the jump. He has some success initially, because the Bears kept things simple, but once they tried to expand the playbook and ask him to do what is expected of a veteran QB, he's struggled.
How many times do we have to see this scenario play out before NFL teams stop making this mistake?
We lived through the Kizer fiasco......I only wonder if he had stayed one more full year at ND before before turning professional football, oh well.....
We lived through the Kizer fiasco......I only wonder if he had stayed one more full year at ND before before turning professional football, oh well.....
I think if he had stayed his whole time....he still would have sucked. And yea, Tribs probably should have stayed another year. But....if you are going to be an assured Top Ten pick in the draft.....(despite the departed Stan's opinion) you don't stick around college. You get your money. I still think there is a great chance for Trubisky to be very good. He has to have the right coaching (an issue I believe that affects Baker now as well)
-
We lived through the Kizer fiasco......I only wonder if he had stayed one more full year at ND before before turning professional football, oh well.....
I think if he had stayed his whole time....he still would have sucked. And yea, Tribs probably should have stayed another year. But....if you are going to be an assured Top Ten pick in the draft.....(despite the departed Stan's opinion) you don't stick around college. You get your money. I still think there is a great chance for Trubisky to be very good. He has to have the right coaching (an issue I believe that affects Baker now as well)
I think if he had stayed his whole time....he still would have sucked. And yea, Tribs probably should have stayed another year. But....if you are going to be an assured Top Ten pick in the draft.....(despite the departed Stan's opinion) you don't stick around college. You get your money. I still think there is a great chance for Trubisky to be very good. He has to have the right coaching (an issue I believe that affects Baker now as well)
He would have been much better -but- maybe not a first round pick or instant starter but we'll never really know for sure.
To be stuck as a starter for 15 games on that team was a "no win" situation.
-
I think if he had stayed his whole time....he still would have sucked. And yea, Tribs probably should have stayed another year. But....if you are going to be an assured Top Ten pick in the draft.....(despite the departed Stan's opinion) you don't stick around college. You get your money. I still think there is a great chance for Trubisky to be very good. He has to have the right coaching (an issue I believe that affects Baker now as well)
He would have been much better -but- maybe not a first round pick or instant starter but we'll never really know for sure.
To be stuck as a starter for 15 games on that team was a "no win" situation.
He would have been much better -but- maybe not a first round pick or instant starter but we'll never really know for sure.
To be stuck as a starter for 15 games on that team was a "no win" situation.
If you want to call being paid millions and millions of dollars "no win".....perhaps.
Somehow, I am not sure that the recipient of those checks might see it that same way:
The total value of Trubisky's four-year, $29,032,424 millioncontract is worth less than the average annual value of Aaron Rodgers' new deal ($33.5 million), and is only a couple million more than the average annual value paid out to Kirk Cousins ($28 million) and Matthew Stafford ($27 million).
Rookie wage scale gave him a measly $7, 250,000 per year.
-
He would have been much better -but- maybe not a first round pick or instant starter but we'll never really know for sure.
To be stuck as a starter for 15 games on that team was a "no win" situation.
If you want to call being paid millions and millions of dollars "no win".....perhaps.
Somehow, I am not sure that the recipient of those checks might see it that same way:
The total value of Trubisky's four-year, $29,032,424 millioncontract is worth less than the average annual value of Aaron Rodgers' new deal ($33.5 million), and is only a couple million more than the average annual value paid out to Kirk Cousins ($28 million) and Matthew Stafford ($27 million).
Rookie wage scale gave him a measly $7, 250,000 per year.
If you want to call being paid millions and millions of dollars "no win".....perhaps.
The "no win" was on the BROWNS end. And if I could get a million or more now and I was 20ish and didn't want to wait I'd might take it.
Or have the college take out a $1M++ insurance policy and get the much needed extra experience and probably move up in the draft, enjoy another year in college, get a bigger deal and relax...... that's the smart move.
-
I always wondered about that too. Also, lots of similarities between Kizer and Baker right now. High passes, running to the right and chucking it, turning it over in the red zone, hardly ever throwing TD passes, bad luck INTs off receiver's hands, etc.
Oh and if traded or whatever what would his value be? Starter on a desperate team? Backup on a good team with an established quarterback -or- do da Bears keep him?
Oh and if traded or whatever what would his value be? Starter on a desperate team? Backup on a good team with an established quarterback -or- do da Bears keep him?
Honestly, I think giving up on a young QB is the wrong move. Yeah, he's been awful, but so has Baker and we're not giving up on him.
-
Oh and if traded or whatever what would his value be? Starter on a desperate team? Backup on a good team with an established quarterback -or- do da Bears keep him?
Honestly, I think giving up on a young QB is the wrong move. Yeah, he's been awful, but so has Baker and we're not giving up on him.
Honestly, I think giving up on a young QB is the wrong move. Yeah, he's been awful, but so has Baker and we're not giving up on him.
The most valuable and expensive player in team sports and the hardest to find is an NFL franchise quarterback I guess MT apparently is not that so where does he fit in?
Maybe given more time he would fit in as a servicable starter until the Bears can figure out a plan B, look what the BROWNS went through looking, waiting and finally hoping Baker was the guy, I think he still has the potential to be a good quarterback for the BROWNS.
The class of 2020 has some interesting names but here we go again trying to find out who the professional quarterbacks are in the group. Here's generally where you start:
ODDS TO WIN 2019 HEISMAN TROPHY (12/7/19) - destined to go to a bad team as usual. -. Oh right now the Bears do NOT have a first round pick in 2020 !Team Odds Joe Burrow (LSU) 6/5 Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma) 7/5 Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama) 7/2 Justin Fields (Ohio State) 10/1 Jonathan Taylor (Wisconsin) 40/1 Justin Herbert (Oregon) 40/1 Sam Ehlinger (Texas) 60/1 D'Andre Swift (Georgia) 80/1 Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) 100/1 Travis Etienne (Clemson) 100/1 Chuba Hubbard (Oklahoma State) 100/1 Jerry Jeudy (Alabama) 200/1 J.K. Dobbins (Ohio State) 200/1 -
If you want to call being paid millions and millions of dollars "no win".....perhaps.
The "no win" was on the BROWNS end. And if I could get a million or more now and I was 20ish and didn't want to wait I'd might take it.
Or have the college take out a $1M++ insurance policy and get the much needed extra experience and probably move up in the draft, enjoy another year in college, get a bigger deal and relax...... that's the smart move.
The "no win" was on the BROWNS end. And if I could get a million or more now and I was 20ish and didn't want to wait I'd might take it.
Or have the college take out a $1M++ insurance policy and get the much needed extra experience and probably move up in the draft, enjoy another year in college, get a bigger deal and relax...... that's the smart move.
Do you mean' "on the BEARS end? Since Trubisky plays for the Bears, not the Browns.
-
Honestly, I think giving up on a young QB is the wrong move. Yeah, he's been awful, but so has Baker and we're not giving up on him.
The most valuable and expensive player in team sports and the hardest to find is an NFL franchise quarterback I guess MT apparently is not that so where does he fit in?
Maybe given more time he would fit in as a servicable starter until the Bears can figure out a plan B, look what the BROWNS went through looking, waiting and finally hoping Baker was the guy, I think he still has the potential to be a good quarterback for the BROWNS.
The class of 2020 has some interesting names but here we go again trying to find out who the professional quarterbacks are in the group. Here's generally where you start:
ODDS TO WIN 2019 HEISMAN TROPHY (12/7/19) - destined to go to a bad team as usual. -. Oh right now the Bears do NOT have a first round pick in 2020 !Team Odds Joe Burrow (LSU) 6/5 Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma) 7/5 Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama) 7/2 Justin Fields (Ohio State) 10/1 Jonathan Taylor (Wisconsin) 40/1 Justin Herbert (Oregon) 40/1 Sam Ehlinger (Texas) 60/1 D'Andre Swift (Georgia) 80/1 Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) 100/1 Travis Etienne (Clemson) 100/1 Chuba Hubbard (Oklahoma State) 100/1 Jerry Jeudy (Alabama) 200/1 J.K. Dobbins (Ohio State) 200/1 The most valuable and expensive player in team sports and the hardest to find is an NFL franchise quarterback I guess MT apparently is not that so where does he fit in?
Maybe given more time he would fit in as a servicable starter until the Bears can figure out a plan B, look what the BROWNS went through looking, waiting and finally hoping Baker was the guy, I think he still has the potential to be a good quarterback for the BROWNS.
The class of 2020 has some interesting names but here we go again trying to find out who the professional quarterbacks are in the group. Here's generally where you start:
ODDS TO WIN 2019 HEISMAN TROPHY (12/7/19) - destined to go to a bad team as usual.Team Odds Joe Burrow (LSU) 6/5 Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma) 7/5 Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama) 7/2 Justin Fields (Ohio State) 10/1 Jonathan Taylor (Wisconsin) 40/1 Justin Herbert (Oregon) 40/1 Sam Ehlinger (Texas) 60/1 D'Andre Swift (Georgia) 80/1 Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) 100/1 Travis Etienne (Clemson) 100/1 Chuba Hubbard (Oklahoma State) 100/1 Jerry Jeudy (Alabama) 200/1 J.K. Dobbins (Ohio State) 200/1 I am of the opinion that none of those top 4 would likely make a really good NFL QB.
When Lawrence comes out....he is still odds on favorite to be the #1 overall pick that year.
-
The "no win" was on the BROWNS end. And if I could get a million or more now and I was 20ish and didn't want to wait I'd might take it.
Or have the college take out a $1M++ insurance policy and get the much needed extra experience and probably move up in the draft, enjoy another year in college, get a bigger deal and relax...... that's the smart move.
Do you mean' "on the BEARS end? Since Trubisky plays for the Bears, not the Browns.
Do you mean' "on the BEARS end? Since Trubisky plays for the Bears, not the Browns.
We were talking about Kizer in that case.
-
The most valuable and expensive player in team sports and the hardest to find is an NFL franchise quarterback I guess MT apparently is not that so where does he fit in?
Maybe given more time he would fit in as a servicable starter until the Bears can figure out a plan B, look what the BROWNS went through looking, waiting and finally hoping Baker was the guy, I think he still has the potential to be a good quarterback for the BROWNS.
The class of 2020 has some interesting names but here we go again trying to find out who the professional quarterbacks are in the group. Here's generally where you start:
ODDS TO WIN 2019 HEISMAN TROPHY (12/7/19) - destined to go to a bad team as usual.Team Odds Joe Burrow (LSU) 6/5 Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma) 7/5 Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama) 7/2 Justin Fields (Ohio State) 10/1 Jonathan Taylor (Wisconsin) 40/1 Justin Herbert (Oregon) 40/1 Sam Ehlinger (Texas) 60/1 D'Andre Swift (Georgia) 80/1 Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) 100/1 Travis Etienne (Clemson) 100/1 Chuba Hubbard (Oklahoma State) 100/1 Jerry Jeudy (Alabama) 200/1 J.K. Dobbins (Ohio State) 200/1 I am of the opinion that none of those top 4 would likely make a really good NFL QB.
When Lawrence comes out....he is still odds on favorite to be the #1 overall pick that year.
I am of the opinion that none of those top 4 would likely make a really good NFL QB.
When Lawrence comes out....he is still odds on favorite to be the #1 overall pick that year.
They certainty have not been sorted out yet.
-
Do you mean' "on the BEARS end? Since Trubisky plays for the Bears, not the Browns.
We were talking about Kizer in that case.
-
I am of the opinion that none of those top 4 would likely make a really good NFL QB.
When Lawrence comes out....he is still odds on favorite to be the #1 overall pick that year.
They certainty have not been sorted out yet.
They certainty have not been sorted out yet.
Well...some predictions have been made, but base on those....I agree with you:
CBS QB Prospects.
RKPLAYERSCHOOLYEARPOSPOS RKHTWT
1Tua TagovailoaAlabamaJrQB16-12185
Justin HerbertOregonSrQB26-623715
Jake FrommGeorgiaJrQB36-222038
K.J. CostelloStanfordSrQB46-522255
Steven MontezColoradoSrQB56-523068
Shea PattersonMichiganSrQB66-220289
McKenzie MiltonUCFSrQB75-1118598
Jacob EasonWashingtonJrQB86-6227
They don't have Hurts or Burrows in there....both of whom could come out. (Fields not eligible)
-
I think if he had stayed his whole time....he still would have sucked. And yea, Tribs probably should have stayed another year. But....if you are going to be an assured Top Ten pick in the draft.....(despite the departed Stan's opinion) you don't stick around college. You get your money. I still think there is a great chance for Trubisky to be very good. He has to have the right coaching (an issue I believe that affects Baker now as well)
He would have been much better -but- maybe not a first round pick or instant starter but we'll never really know for sure.
To be stuck as a starter for 15 games on that team was a "no win" situation.
-
We lived through the Kizer fiasco......I only wonder if he had stayed one more full year at ND before before turning professional football, oh well.....
I think if he had stayed his whole time....he still would have sucked. And yea, Tribs probably should have stayed another year. But....if you are going to be an assured Top Ten pick in the draft.....(despite the departed Stan's opinion) you don't stick around college. You get your money. I still think there is a great chance for Trubisky to be very good. He has to have the right coaching (an issue I believe that affects Baker now as well)
I think if he had stayed his whole time....he still would have sucked. And yea, Tribs probably should have stayed another year. But....if you are going to be an assured Top Ten pick in the draft.....(despite the departed Stan's opinion) you don't stick around college. You get your money. I still think there is a great chance for Trubisky to be very good. He has to have the right coaching (an issue I believe that affects Baker now as well)
If you're comparing Kizer and Trubisky's college careers, there's no comparison. I scouted both of them a bunch, and I was on record Kizer totally sucked at Notre Dame, and had bust written all over him. Not so with Mitch.
I did think the Bears made a mistake trading up that high for Trubisky.
I'll agree with jiggins that currently Maxfield is showing some distressing Deshone tendencies, but Kizer never came close to stringing together a series of good games like Baker did last year.
-
I think if he had stayed his whole time....he still would have sucked. And yea, Tribs probably should have stayed another year. But....if you are going to be an assured Top Ten pick in the draft.....(despite the departed Stan's opinion) you don't stick around college. You get your money. I still think there is a great chance for Trubisky to be very good. He has to have the right coaching (an issue I believe that affects Baker now as well)
If you're comparing Kizer and Trubisky's college careers, there's no comparison. I scouted both of them a bunch, and I was on record Kizer totally sucked at Notre Dame, and had bust written all over him. Not so with Mitch.
I did think the Bears made a mistake trading up that high for Trubisky.
I'll agree with jiggins that currently Maxfield is showing some distressing Deshone tendencies, but Kizer never came close to stringing together a series of good games like Baker did last year.
If you're comparing Kizer and Trubisky's college careers, there's no comparison. I scouted both of them a bunch, and I was on record Kizer totally sucked at Notre Dame, and had bust written all over him. Not so with Mitch.
I did think the Bears made a mistake trading up that high for Trubisky.
I'll agree with jiggins that currently Maxfield is showing some distressing Deshone tendencies, but Kizer never came close to stringing together a series of good games like Baker did last year.
Kizer had some good measurables as far as being a prospect goes... Good height.. Good Arm ... Athletic.. NFL type body... He lacked Vision, Poise and Accuracy...
-
If you're comparing Kizer and Trubisky's college careers, there's no comparison. I scouted both of them a bunch, and I was on record Kizer totally sucked at Notre Dame, and had bust written all over him. Not so with Mitch.
I did think the Bears made a mistake trading up that high for Trubisky.
I'll agree with jiggins that currently Maxfield is showing some distressing Deshone tendencies, but Kizer never came close to stringing together a series of good games like Baker did last year.
Kizer had some good measurables as far as being a prospect goes... Good height.. Good Arm ... Athletic.. NFL type body... He lacked Vision, Poise and Accuracy...
Kizer had some good measurables as far as being a prospect goes... Good height.. Good Arm ... Athletic.. NFL type body... He lacked Vision, Poise and Accuracy...
On that oh-16 team he really didn't have much of a chance to show what he could do. Could he have benefited from another full year at ND definitely.
Should he have got a school paid $1M+ insurance policy and spent a year improving his draft status and a better deal, Absolutely.
DeShone Kizer signed a 4 year, $4,948,416 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including a $1,738,848 signing bonus, $2,428,776 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,237,104. In 2019, Kizer will earn a base salary of $914,856, while carrying a cap hit of $914,856.
Would he have done better on a better team his rookie year..... we'll never really know, he didn't do much at GB either.
The brief career of DeShone Kizer:
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV Career 18 15 0-15-0 275 518 53.1 3081 11 2.1 24 4.6 139 56 5.9 4.3 11.2 171.2 58.9 42 264 5.03 3.49 7.5 6 1 yr CLE 15 15 0-15-0 255 476 53.6 2894 11 2.3 22 4.6 131 56 6.1 4.5 11.3 192.9 60.5 38 226 5.19 3.69 7.4 5 1 yr GNB 3 0 20 42 47.6 187 0 0.0 2 4.8 8 29 4.5 2.3 9.4 62.3 40.5 4 38 3.24 1.28 8.7 1 2017 21 CLE QB 7 15 15 0-15-0 255 476 53.6 2894 11 2.3 22 4.6 131 56 6.1 4.5 11.3 192.9 60.5 29.7 38 226 5.19 3.69 7.4 5 2018 22 GNB 9 3 0 20 42 47.6 187 0 0.0 2 4.8 8 29 4.5 2.3 9.4 62.3 40.5 25.2 4 38 3.24 1.28 8.7 1 And Mitchell Trubisky:
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV Career 31 31 18-13-0 588 924 63.6 6255 36 3.9 21 2.3 312 70 6.8 6.5 10.6 201.8 86.8 65 398 5.92 5.69 6.6 2 4 20 2017 23 CHI QB 10 12 12 4-8-0 196 330 59.4 2193 7 2.1 7 2.1 100 70 6.6 6.1 11.2 182.8 77.5 31.6 31 196 5.53 5.05 8.6 0 1 7 2018* 24 CHI QB 10 14 14 11-3-0 289 434 66.6 3223 24 5.5 12 2.8 163 70 7.4 7.3 11.2 230.2 95.4 70.8 24 143 6.72 6.59 5.2 1 2 13 2019 25 CHI QB 10 5 5 3-2-0 103 160 64.4 839 5 3.1 2 1.3 49 36 5.2 5.3 8.1 167.8 82.8 31.8 10 59 4.59 4.65 5.9 1 1
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login