Skip to content

The 'Who you watching?' 2020 thread.

The Browns Board
552 41 17.0k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Wilks is running primarily this  4-2-5 defense.    Which I think I hate.

    And as yesterday prove, that is susceptible to having other teams run you right out of the house.  

    So, while perhaps the primary need is for OL.....we still need help, I believe, at all 3 levels of defense:  DL, LB, DB.  Best available among them of OL  would be the way to go.

    and he will still run the four two five d which i hate also....and we will get the same results....he sucks as a dc....he is as bad as hillbilly freddy is as hc....

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @browns52 said:

    and he will still run the four two five d which i hate also....and we will get the same results....he sucks as a dc....he is as bad as hillbilly freddy is as hc....

    4-2-5 brings Nickel to mind. Our base is a 4-3 with a Safety (Burris) filling the Will slot and he plays as the Will. When we go Nickel Burris is replaced by Carrie.

    In any scheme it's the personnel that make or break it? Is Burris the ideal Will? Probably not, but FWIW he grades out at PFF as our 2nd best starting LB.

    Like it or not undersized, LB/DB hybrids are the Modern D's response to the WR/TE hybrids that have taken hold... and as the league morphs towards more RPO oriented attacks, the hybrid LB is going to be part of that response as well.

  • @browns52 said:

    and he will still run the four two five d which i hate also....and we will get the same results....he sucks as a dc....he is as bad as hillbilly freddy is as hc....

    4-2-5 brings Nickel to mind. Our base is a 4-3 with a Safety (Burris) filling the Will slot and he plays as the Will. When we go Nickel Burris is replaced by Carrie.

    In any scheme it's the personnel that make or break it? Is Burris the ideal Will? Probably not, but FWIW he grades out at PFF as our 2nd best starting LB.

    Like it or not undersized, LB/DB hybrids are the Modern D's response to the WR/TE hybrids that have taken hold... and as the league morphs towards more RPO oriented attacks, the hybrid LB is going to be part of that response as well.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @tour2ma said:

    4-2-5 brings Nickel to mind. Our base is a 4-3 with a Safety (Burris) filling the Will slot and he plays as the Will. When we go Nickel Burris is replaced by Carrie.

    Prior to the start of the season I was interested in seeing the 4-2-5 work.  I thought it was a nice idea in today's passing NFL.  And you're IN the nickle quite a bit anyway.  The catch is, you've still gotta stop the run.  And not just at the goal line with your jumbo package.

    It's disappointing to not reach the playoffs....finally.....but the fact is, we're just not good enough.  We've got too many weak areas.  We weren't gonna DO anything in the playoffs.  It's defense that wins championships...and our crippled D wasn't going to be able to do that.  And besides that, it's offense that's needed to GET to the playoffs so that your D can win you the championship....and our offense is not consistent enough.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #32

    You know what would help the 4-2-5 work well?

    A team that scores a lot of points and puts opposing teams in consistent catch-up mode. 

    That is not the Browns, so teams just get physical with the Browns and run it down their throats. 

  • @browns52 said:

    and he will still run the four two five d which i hate also....and we will get the same results....he sucks as a dc....he is as bad as hillbilly freddy is as hc....

    4-2-5 brings Nickel to mind. Our base is a 4-3 with a Safety (Burris) filling the Will slot and he plays as the Will. When we go Nickel Burris is replaced by Carrie.

    In any scheme it's the personnel that make or break it? Is Burris the ideal Will? Probably not, but FWIW he grades out at PFF as our 2nd best starting LB.

    Like it or not undersized, LB/DB hybrids are the Modern D's response to the WR/TE hybrids that have taken hold... and as the league morphs towards more RPO oriented attacks, the hybrid LB is going to be part of that response as well.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @tour2ma said:

    4-2-5 brings Nickel to mind. Our base is a 4-3 with a Safety (Burris) filling the Will slot and he plays as the Will. When we go Nickel Burris is replaced by Carrie.

    In any scheme it's the personnel that make or break it? Is Burris the ideal Will? Probably not, but FWIW he grades out at PFF as our 2nd best starting LB.

    Well...since we are only playing 2 LBs.....being second best also means being last, no?

    LIke, Michael Spinks came in 2d best to Mike Tyson....even though Tyson knocked him out in like 91 seconds. 

    Like it or not undersized, LB/DB hybrids are the Modern D's response to the WR/TE hybrids that have taken hold... and as the league morphs towards more RPO oriented attacks, the hybrid LB is going to be part of that response as well.

  • You know what would help the 4-2-5 work well?

    A team that scores a lot of points and puts opposing teams in consistent catch-up mode. 

    That is not the Browns, so teams just get physical with the Browns and run it down their throats. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @dutch-oven said:

    You know what would help the 4-2-5 work well?

    A team that scores a lot of points and puts opposing teams in consistent catch-up mode. 

    That is not the Browns,

    But it's what they were 'supposed' to be!   OBJ, Landry, Chubb, Callaway, Higgins, Baker!!

    Remember when Freddie tried to attack the end of the first half against Seattle?  When he tried to score, then hold them, and then score again?   He, and we, found out that they weren't that explosive, killer offense.  One time, early in the season, he won the coin flip and elected to receive.  He wanted his explosive offense to come out and set the tone, win the crowd, start the momentum.    Not to be...

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #35

    I imagine a lot of teams are in some kind of nickel a lot of the time now

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #36

    So what's our time-line going to look like?

    Is it, New Uniforms, FA, Draft?   or  FA, New Uni's, Draft?  

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #37

    Here's some draft talk for you. Take the following 1st round scenario I came across playing with one of the draft sims, First-Pick.

    1. Cinci trades out of the #1 overall with JAX. They figure one of the two top QBs will be there at #8, their next pick. JAX selects Chase Young with the #1 overall.
    2. NYG takes one of the hotter Edge prospects, AJ Epesa, Iowa.
    3. MIA takes a LT... Tristen Wirfs, Iowa... surprising, but they have more 1sts with which to get a QB (they take Hebert later).
    4. NYJ trades up with WSH to take the other hot LT prospect, Andrew Thomas, UGA...
    5. DET takes the hot LB prospect... Clemson's Isaiah Simmons.
    6. AZ is on the clock...
    • You know from pre-draft discussions (or playing the sim earlier) that if you offer AZ your 2020 and 2021 #1's they will likely say yes.
    • The three players you were (or at least I was) targeting (Wirfs, Thomas, Simmons) when you had the early convos with AZ are all gone, but...
    • Joe Burrows is there.

    Do you call AZ and make the offer?

    If not for Joe, is there another prospect you think worth the price, e.g., Delpit, LSU's Safety, or Buckeye CB, Okudah?

  • Here's some draft talk for you. Take the following 1st round scenario I came across playing with one of the draft sims, First-Pick.

    1. Cinci trades out of the #1 overall with JAX. They figure one of the two top QBs will be there at #8, their next pick. JAX selects Chase Young with the #1 overall.
    2. NYG takes one of the hotter Edge prospects, AJ Epesa, Iowa.
    3. MIA takes a LT... Tristen Wirfs, Iowa... surprising, but they have more 1sts with which to get a QB (they take Hebert later).
    4. NYJ trades up with WSH to take the other hot LT prospect, Andrew Thomas, UGA...
    5. DET takes the hot LB prospect... Clemson's Isaiah Simmons.
    6. AZ is on the clock...
    • You know from pre-draft discussions (or playing the sim earlier) that if you offer AZ your 2020 and 2021 #1's they will likely say yes.
    • The three players you were (or at least I was) targeting (Wirfs, Thomas, Simmons) when you had the early convos with AZ are all gone, but...
    • Joe Burrows is there.

    Do you call AZ and make the offer?

    If not for Joe, is there another prospect you think worth the price, e.g., Delpit, LSU's Safety, or Buckeye CB, Okudah?

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @tour2ma said:

    Here's some draft talk for you. Take the following 1st round scenario I came across playing with one of the draft sims, First-Pick.

    1. Cinci trades out of the #1 overall with JAX. They figure one of the two top QBs will be there at #8, their next pick. JAX selects Chase Young with the #1 overall.
    2. NYG takes one of the hotter Edge prospects, AJ Epesa, Iowa.
    3. MIA takes a LT... Tristen Wirfs, Iowa... surprising, but they have more 1sts with which to get a QB (they take Hebert later).
    4. NYJ trades up with WSH to take the other hot LT prospect, Andrew Thomas, UGA...
    5. DET takes the hot LB prospect... LSU's Isaiah Simmons.
    6. AZ is on the clock...
    • You know from pre-draft discussions (or playing the sim earlier) that if you offer AZ your 2020 and 2021 #1's they will likely say yes.
    • The three players you were (or at least I was) targeting (Wirfs, Thomas, Simmons) when you had the early convos with AZ are all gone, but...
    • Joe Burrows is there.

    Do you call AZ and make the offer?

    If not for Joe, is there another prospect you think worth the price, e.g., Delpit, LSU's Safety, or Buckeye CB, Okudah?

    LB I.Simmons plays at The' Clemson University😛...My BPA is Auburn DT Derrick Brown...need is S Delpit..we get Bake a Vet not named Stanton..  

  • @tour2ma said:

    Here's some draft talk for you. Take the following 1st round scenario I came across playing with one of the draft sims, First-Pick.

    1. Cinci trades out of the #1 overall with JAX. They figure one of the two top QBs will be there at #8, their next pick. JAX selects Chase Young with the #1 overall.
    2. NYG takes one of the hotter Edge prospects, AJ Epesa, Iowa.
    3. MIA takes a LT... Tristen Wirfs, Iowa... surprising, but they have more 1sts with which to get a QB (they take Hebert later).
    4. NYJ trades up with WSH to take the other hot LT prospect, Andrew Thomas, UGA...
    5. DET takes the hot LB prospect... LSU's Isaiah Simmons.
    6. AZ is on the clock...
    • You know from pre-draft discussions (or playing the sim earlier) that if you offer AZ your 2020 and 2021 #1's they will likely say yes.
    • The three players you were (or at least I was) targeting (Wirfs, Thomas, Simmons) when you had the early convos with AZ are all gone, but...
    • Joe Burrows is there.

    Do you call AZ and make the offer?

    If not for Joe, is there another prospect you think worth the price, e.g., Delpit, LSU's Safety, or Buckeye CB, Okudah?

    LB I.Simmons plays at The' Clemson University😛...My BPA is Auburn DT Derrick Brown...need is S Delpit..we get Bake a Vet not named Stanton..  

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @gumby73 said:

    LB I.Simmons plays at The' Clemson University😛...My BPA is Auburn DT Derrick Brown...need is S Delpit..we get Bake a Vet not named Stanton..  

    Fixed... don't know why, but every year I give LSU an extra prospect or two.

    Brown's a top DL to be sure, but seems rich for two #1s... as does Delpit. Okudah might be that good, but not a trade I'd make for him.

    FWIW... I took Burrows... ?

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #40

    Burrow isn't making it out of the top 5.

  • @gumby73 said:

    LB I.Simmons plays at The' Clemson University😛...My BPA is Auburn DT Derrick Brown...need is S Delpit..we get Bake a Vet not named Stanton..  

    Fixed... don't know why, but every year I give LSU an extra prospect or two.

    Brown's a top DL to be sure, but seems rich for two #1s... as does Delpit. Okudah might be that good, but not a trade I'd make for him.

    FWIW... I took Burrows... ?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @tour2ma said:

    FWIW... I took Burrows... ?

     "The Heisman winner and next Tom Brady".   That has to be the double kiss of death.  

  • @gumby73 said:

    LB I.Simmons plays at The' Clemson University😛...My BPA is Auburn DT Derrick Brown...need is S Delpit..we get Bake a Vet not named Stanton..  

    Fixed... don't know why, but every year I give LSU an extra prospect or two.

    Brown's a top DL to be sure, but seems rich for two #1s... as does Delpit. Okudah might be that good, but not a trade I'd make for him.

    FWIW... I took Burrows... ?

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @tour2ma said:

    FWIW... I took Burrows... ?

    after 15 minutes u would have seen  'took Burrow didn't ya" lol... 2 1's rich$

  • Burrow isn't making it out of the top 5.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @tiamat63 said:

    Burrow isn't making it out of the top 5 2.

    FIFY...

    Yeah... I hear you, but if he did would you go get him?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Burrow isn't making it out of the top 5 2.

    FIFY...

    Yeah... I hear you, but if he did would you go get him?

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @tour2ma said:

    FIFY...

    Yeah... I hear you, but if he did would you go get him?

    No. You don't quit on Baker yet. You've seen the potential. You just get a competent staff around him 

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #45

    I love mocks that have us taking a safety, or worse, a WR

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Burrow isn't making it out of the top 5 2.

    FIFY...

    Yeah... I hear you, but if he did would you go get him?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #46

    @tour2ma said:

    FIFY...

    Yeah... I hear you, but if he did would you go get him?

    As of typing this, Burrow might be the best 'pro ready' looking QB I've seen since Luck.  Kid has it all. 

    Would I pull the trigger on that? I don't think I can answer that as of now.  But I'm not jealous of the person who would be in the position to make such a difficult choice.

    Edit: I will say this - lost in all the talk of Freddie and Wilks, I believe this team (really, Baker) misses the knowledge and direction coach Zampese provided.

  • Here's some draft talk for you. Take the following 1st round scenario I came across playing with one of the draft sims, First-Pick.

    1. Cinci trades out of the #1 overall with JAX. They figure one of the two top QBs will be there at #8, their next pick. JAX selects Chase Young with the #1 overall.
    2. NYG takes one of the hotter Edge prospects, AJ Epesa, Iowa.
    3. MIA takes a LT... Tristen Wirfs, Iowa... surprising, but they have more 1sts with which to get a QB (they take Hebert later).
    4. NYJ trades up with WSH to take the other hot LT prospect, Andrew Thomas, UGA...
    5. DET takes the hot LB prospect... Clemson's Isaiah Simmons.
    6. AZ is on the clock...
    • You know from pre-draft discussions (or playing the sim earlier) that if you offer AZ your 2020 and 2021 #1's they will likely say yes.
    • The three players you were (or at least I was) targeting (Wirfs, Thomas, Simmons) when you had the early convos with AZ are all gone, but...
    • Joe Burrows is there.

    Do you call AZ and make the offer?

    If not for Joe, is there another prospect you think worth the price, e.g., Delpit, LSU's Safety, or Buckeye CB, Okudah?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @tour2ma said:

    Here's some draft talk for you. Take the following 1st round scenario I came across playing with one of the draft sims, First-Pick.

    1. Cinci trades out of the #1 overall with JAX. They figure one of the two top QBs will be there at #8, their next pick. JAX selects Chase Young with the #1 overall.
    2. NYG takes one of the hotter Edge prospects, AJ Epesa, Iowa.
    3. MIA takes a LT... Tristen Wirfs, Iowa... surprising, but they have more 1sts with which to get a QB (they take Hebert later).
    4. NYJ trades up with WSH to take the other hot LT prospect, Andrew Thomas, UGA...
    5. DET takes the hot LB prospect... Clemson's Isaiah Simmons.
    6. AZ is on the clock...
    • You know from pre-draft discussions (or playing the sim earlier) that if you offer AZ your 2020 and 2021 #1's they will likely say yes.
    • The three players you were (or at least I was) targeting (Wirfs, Thomas, Simmons) when you had the early convos with AZ are all gone, but...
    • Joe Burrows is there.

    Do you call AZ and make the offer?

    If not for Joe, is there another prospect you think worth the price, e.g., Delpit, LSU's Safety, or Buckeye CB, Okudah?

    If you are who?   The Browns?   No way.  I mean, I like Joe Burrow.....but I by no means see him as a sure fire can't miss pro prospect.  He reminds me of Jared Goff...who I think of in the same light.   Sure, Goff played well enough to get his team to the SB...in the right system.  And the same could be true with Joe.   But, as a Browns fan,  I am in no way clamoring for Burrow over Baker.....if that is your implication. 

  • B Buck The Frowns wrote on last edited by Buck The Frowns
    #48

    Pick a player whose first name begins with De or La, or has unnecessary apostrophes in their name. They seem to work out. Also an Anglo Saxonish last name. The more apostrophes the better. Like DeForest Kelley or something.

  • Pick a player whose first name begins with De or La, or has unnecessary apostrophes in their name. They seem to work out. Also an Anglo Saxonish last name. The more apostrophes the better. Like DeForest Kelley or something.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #49

    @buck-the-frowns said:

    Pick a player whose first name begins with De or La, or has unnecessary apostrophes in their name. They seem to work out. Also an Anglo Saxonish last name. The more apostrophes the better. Like DeForest Kelley or something.

    You mean like Dennis or  Larry?  

    DeCastro?  De with Hispanic last name.

    Or are you looking for like  "O'Neil"  O'Brian  O'Gill

    Then their was  By'not'e  Butler.