Skip to content

Browns To Announce Berry as GM

The Browns Board
169 34 4.9k 1
  • Frank DixonF Frank Dixon wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Hopefully this works out.

  • I'm all on board with this hire. He is considered one of the best up and comers in the front office. He has experience working for the Colts with Polian (old school), Sashi (analytics), and Roseman (blend) over his short career in the front office. I think he has now seen how a front office can be run from multiple angles and he is going to adapt. IMOP, he is a great blend of what we need in that front office as he has worked everything from a scout to college and pro personnel, to contracts and business management. I think he is going to empower guys like Wolf and Hightower to do what they are good at which is scouting and the analytics people to do what they do best. I know people are going to crush him about the Sashi era (I hope he gets asked about it in the press conference) but he can only learn from that situation and become better.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @bigalow80 said:

    I'm all on board with this hire. He is considered one of the best up and comers in the front office. He has experience working for the Colts with Polian (old school), Sashi (analytics), and Roseman (blend) over his short career in the front office. I think he has now seen how a front office can be run from multiple angles and he is going to adapt. IMOP, he is a great blend of what we need in that front office as he has worked everything from a scout to college and pro personnel, to contracts and business management. I think he is going to empower guys like Wolf and Hightower to do what they are good at which is scouting and the analytics people to do what they do best. I know people are going to crush him about the Sashi era (I hope he gets asked about it in the press conference) but he can only learn from that situation and become better.

    This is an epic joke.. LOL... The Browns love losing and want to ensure losing.. its a losing business model that is making Haslam money..

  • Frank DixonF Frank Dixon wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Can he bring in the talent in FA and draft talent? That remains to be seen.

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Yay! A warm body willingly took the job!

  • Can he bring in the talent in FA and draft talent? That remains to be seen.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @frank-dixon said:

    Can he bring in the talent in FA and draft talent? That remains to be seen.

    As would be the case with ant 1st-time GM.

    In retrospect Berry seemed preordained... only real hurdle was being sure that Stef liked him, which he did. Real question is how does the organization work?

    It would seem to be up to Berry to blend the analytic and traditional scouting approaches into player decisions, but those two inputs don't meet at his level. Then add an expanded HC/Staff role in player selection and I don't know what you have.

    Collaboration sounds great, but it isn't a decision process.

    I, too, will be interested in his Intro Presser...

  • I'm all on board with this hire. He is considered one of the best up and comers in the front office. He has experience working for the Colts with Polian (old school), Sashi (analytics), and Roseman (blend) over his short career in the front office. I think he has now seen how a front office can be run from multiple angles and he is going to adapt. IMOP, he is a great blend of what we need in that front office as he has worked everything from a scout to college and pro personnel, to contracts and business management. I think he is going to empower guys like Wolf and Hightower to do what they are good at which is scouting and the analytics people to do what they do best. I know people are going to crush him about the Sashi era (I hope he gets asked about it in the press conference) but he can only learn from that situation and become better.

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @bigalow80 said:

    I'm all on board with this hire. He is considered one of the best up and comers in the front office. He has experience working for the Colts with Polian (old school), Sashi (analytics), and Roseman (blend) over his short career in the front office. I think he has now seen how a front office can be run from multiple angles and he is going to adapt. IMOP, he is a great blend of what we need in that front office as he has worked everything from a scout to college and pro personnel, to contracts and business management. I think he is going to empower guys like Wolf and Hightower to do what they are good at which is scouting and the analytics people to do what they do best. I know people are going to crush him about the Sashi era (I hope he gets asked about it in the press conference) but he can only learn from that situation and become better.

    Hightower?

    https://images.app.goo.gl/MyfVFJpfQ5a625Pz6

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Still wondering where DePo fits into the power structure.

  • Still wondering where DePo fits into the power structure.

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @tiamat63 said:

    Still wondering where DePo fits into the power structure.

    In the middle of the room, shouting "Just please stop" amidst the flames and chaos. 

  • Works for me. Sounds like our coach and GM will be aligned in their philosophy of football. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #17

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Works for me. Sounds like our coach and GM will be aligned in their philosophy of football. 

    We can only hope.

    @nickers said:

    Fuck it.. I'm done with these idiots...

    Come on, you can say that now- but you know you're not.  🙂 

    @tour2ma said:

    As would be the case with ant 1st-time GM.

    In retrospect Berry seemed preordained... only real hurdle was being sure that Stef liked him, which he did. Real question is how does the organization work?

    It would seem to be up to Berry to blend the analytic and traditional scouting approaches into player decisions, but those two inputs don't meet at his level. Then add an expanded HC/Staff role in player selection and I don't know what you have.

    Collaboration sounds great, but it isn't a decision process.

    I, too, will be interested in his Intro Presser...

    Until proven otherwise Tour, the Browns organization is FUBAR. You're the management guru. Don't know who previously pointed it out, but looks like Jimmy has too many people reporting directly to him equal in the power structure. If they start infighting it's curtains. I'll give Berry a temporary pass just because he was here during the Sashi debacle. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Still wondering where DePo fits into the power structure.

    Why, Dope-po, I mean Depodesta is the ace #1 major domo pulling Haslam's strings. At least that's how I see it. I hope to God he wasn't the major factor (other than Jimmy) responsible for the Browns clown show since he arrived on the scene. He's the only other constant. I've said it elsewhere if Stefansky flops, it's the end of Paul- and this time it will be a total Haslam Nuke of everything. Or maybe, Jimmy will finally figure out he doesn't have a clue on how to run an NFL Franchise.... 

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #18
  • stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by
    #19

    While the dude is older than me, he's still only (32).

    Again, Jimmy is hiring young inexperienced people to both GM and head coach and having them report to him separate. This is a toxic formula, and that Jimmy demands massive success right away it's just unrealistic. He'll get impatient and blow it up and we'll have to start over. I think he's too "proud" to do that, but what else is he to do if we can't make .500 in the next couple years.

    Overall this is just pure chaos. I do not trust Jimmy and said that all back in the Pettine era.

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #20

    OK, another piece of the 1-31 is back in place.  Should I even say that they can't do as badly this time?  

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I'm thrilled by this hire.

    The Process fans have no "dumb football guys" to blame when this goes down in flames. No Hue backstabbing Sashi, no Dorsey ignoring DePodesta… 

    They have gotten all their boys in all the top positions. It's on. 

  • I'm thrilled by this hire.

    The Process fans have no "dumb football guys" to blame when this goes down in flames. No Hue backstabbing Sashi, no Dorsey ignoring DePodesta… 

    They have gotten all their boys in all the top positions. It's on. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @dutch-oven said:

    They have gotten all their boys in all the top positions. It's on. 

    As I said earlier, (yesterday?), three different guys directly reporting to Haslam is a recipe for disaster.  They should plan to be the LAST one in his ear.  That's the guy he listens to.    

    This set up MIGHT work ok if someone else was in Haslam's place.

  • OK, another piece of the 1-31 is back in place.  Should I even say that they can't do as badly this time?  

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @orion said:

    OK, another piece of the 1-31 is back in place.  Should I even say that they can't do as badly this time?  

    It will be mighty hard to replicate that era of suckitude....  Even the sucky Bungles managed to win a couple this year (one at our expense), and the deliberately tanking Dolphins did even better than that....  

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm thrilled by this hire.

    The Process fans have no "dumb football guys" to blame when this goes down in flames. No Hue backstabbing Sashi, no Dorsey ignoring DePodesta… 

    They have gotten all their boys in all the top positions. It's on. 

    But they all played football in college..... So they're all smart nerdy guys.  😁 Gonna be a virtual love fest in the Front Office..... 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    They have gotten all their boys in all the top positions. It's on. 

    As I said earlier, (yesterday?), three different guys directly reporting to Haslam is a recipe for disaster.  They should plan to be the LAST one in his ear.  That's the guy he listens to.    

    This set up MIGHT work ok if someone else was in Haslam's place.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @orion said:

    As I said earlier, (yesterday?), three different guys directly reporting to Haslam is a recipe for disaster.  They should plan to be the LAST one in his ear.  That's the guy he listens to.    

    This set up MIGHT work ok if someone else was in Haslam's place.

    If someone else was in Haslam's place, I doubt this cockamamie scheme would be in place. In the first place.  😁  One more screw up and it's official- Haslam will have topped Dan Snyder on the bad owner scale. Some would say he's already there.......   I vote he's already topped Jerry Jones on the meddlesome owner part.  

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Glad they got their guy at GM & things seem to be aligning. Now we can just wait & see what happens during the trading, free agency, & draft periods. I can't (and won't) judge Berry by  the 1-31 past when he was here...the talent situation on the Browns is FAR different, so I',ll just say...Canton Mike Now, on to OC & DC?

    Mike

    ps: I heard on radio today that Berry would be announced after the Super Bowl.No idea how accurate/inaccurate that may be.

  • Glad they got their guy at GM & things seem to be aligning. Now we can just wait & see what happens during the trading, free agency, & draft periods. I can't (and won't) judge Berry by  the 1-31 past when he was here...the talent situation on the Browns is FAR different, so I',ll just say...Canton Mike Now, on to OC & DC?

    Mike

    ps: I heard on radio today that Berry would be announced after the Super Bowl.No idea how accurate/inaccurate that may be.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @canton-mike said:

    ps: I heard on radio today that Berry would be announced after the Super Bowl.No idea how accurate/inaccurate that may be.

    I wonder if that's an Eagles thing....of course anything and everything could be a Jimmy thing.  Could it be that he still wants to talk to someone from one of the superbowl teams?  I mean, that would be very Jimmy-like.  I can see it now, he brings in a SB guy, Berry removes his name from that hat, the SB guy say, Thanks but no thanks.....and Jimmy's left holding his pud...again.

    How did I get so cynical?   I'll tell ya.  Jimmy & Dee.  I've been conditioned.  

  • B Bigalow80 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    I actually think the announcement might be an NFL thing. They probably want anything football related to not be done the week of the Super Bowl to prevent it from drawing away any attention. It's as stupid as the coaches from SB teams can not be named head coach thing. 

    Curious, what happens if the "brain trust" works this time? It is a completely different set of circumstances than what it was during the Sashi era.  What will it take people to convince them that this is a success? Division winner? playoffs? SB? SB win? I'm just curious because I think this is going to be the most successful regime the Browns have had in 20 years but I'm in the minority on this board. People are going to lose their heads if they trade down in the first round of the draft even IF it is the correct football move. 

  • Yay! A warm body willingly took the job!

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
    #28

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Yay! A warm body willingly took the job!

    This caused a substantial snort.