Skip to content

Bold idea that would change the landscape of sports in Cleveland

The Browns Board
355 22 6.5k
  • @the-gipper said:

    I a guessing that Millenials just don't like to play golf as much as older generations. 

    That’s because the game is too hard and It takes way to long for them to be away from their phones

    I love golfing. If I could be any pro athlete it would be golf, hands down. 
     

    Almost always great weather. Big money, if you’re good and all the places they play are the top courses in the world

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @browns149 said:

    I love golfing. If I could be any pro athlete it would be golf, hands down. 
     

    Just f'n shoot me. Hate that game. I like the one I'm still playing nearing 73 where a mishit can be the best shot of the day.?

    This looks like a highlight on the rare occasions I tried this game in my 30's. They aren't tossing their clubs enough though.?

    https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-symantec-ext_onb&hsimp=yhs-ext_onb&hspart=symantec&p=mishit+golf+shot#id=1&vid=a42a84cac8c51036c8861707a25069f6&action=click

  • @the-gipper said:

    So, go find a 300 acre site in or near downtown Cleveland.   You can't. 

    Since you don't want a domed stadium, you are muddying the waters of this conversation to say that it is impossible to find anywhere in the city limits of a city that has lost well over half its population since 1950 by now saying that you would need a 300 acre site in or near downtown Cleveland. 

    How many acres does the entire Gateway complex take up, Gip? How many acres does Lucas Oil in Indianapolis take up? Seattle's CenturyLink? Detroit's Ford Field? 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Since you don't want a domed stadium, you are muddying the waters of this conversation to say that it is impossible to find anywhere in the city limits of a city that has lost well over half its population since 1950 by now saying that you would need a 300 acre site in or near downtown Cleveland. 

    How many acres does the entire Gateway complex take up, Gip? How many acres does Lucas Oil in Indianapolis take up? Seattle's CenturyLink? Detroit's Ford Field? 

    Gipper's cell phone has been invaded by crickets.  We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.  

  • @the-gipper said:

    I a guessing that Millenials just don't like to play golf as much as older generations. 

    That’s because the game is too hard and It takes way to long for them to be away from their phones

    I love golfing. If I could be any pro athlete it would be golf, hands down. 
     

    Almost always great weather. Big money, if you’re good and all the places they play are the top courses in the world

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @browns149 said:

    That’s because the game is too hard and It takes way to long for them to be away from their phones

    That or the millennials that would most likely take up golf are too busy paying off student loans that they most likely will be paying off until they die, and don't have tons of "fun" money to chase around a little white ball with a stick.  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Since you don't want a domed stadium, you are muddying the waters of this conversation to say that it is impossible to find anywhere in the city limits of a city that has lost well over half its population since 1950 by now saying that you would need a 300 acre site in or near downtown Cleveland. 

    How many acres does the entire Gateway complex take up, Gip? How many acres does Lucas Oil in Indianapolis take up? Seattle's CenturyLink? Detroit's Ford Field? 

    Gipper's cell phone has been invaded by crickets.  We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Gipper's cell phone has been invaded by crickets.  We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.  

    From what I have gathered - and anyone who can confirm or refute this please do - the ENTIRE Gateway complex takes up 27 acres. 

    That includes baseball park that originally sat 43,000, a 20,000 seat arena, a parking deck and all the land in-between. 

    But somehow the Browns would have to have 300 acres near or in downtown Cleveland? 

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    Is the Akron Zoo all that viable?  It's a pretty good parcel ..50 acres. I am sure you could buy up 20 more.  I don't like evoking immanent domain laws, but I am sure Akron would like the business and would do what is best over the long haul.

    Medina county has several locations.  Avon in Lorain country is pretty wide open in spots.  The Atlanta Braves have a beautiful complex north of Atlanta.

    That is the script teams want to follow.  Own the land, lease to those wanting to be near by. Sure Mr. Marriott, I can land lease you 5 acres for 20 years with 5 year options after that to build a beautiful hotel.  That is how you pay for the thing as a private development.  A owner isn't going to simply build a stadium unless he or she has a way to make money on the deal.  You guys aren't children or stupid.  None of you are going to build a house that you aren't going to get your money plus some back.  At least knowingly.  They want it to be a gathering spot above the 8 crappy home gams a year.  Make it the place people want to go year round.

    Akron isn't the best example....Avon in Lorain county is where I would look.  I see lots of land on 90 just past the Westlake line.  

  • Is the Akron Zoo all that viable?  It's a pretty good parcel ..50 acres. I am sure you could buy up 20 more.  I don't like evoking immanent domain laws, but I am sure Akron would like the business and would do what is best over the long haul.

    Medina county has several locations.  Avon in Lorain country is pretty wide open in spots.  The Atlanta Braves have a beautiful complex north of Atlanta.

    That is the script teams want to follow.  Own the land, lease to those wanting to be near by. Sure Mr. Marriott, I can land lease you 5 acres for 20 years with 5 year options after that to build a beautiful hotel.  That is how you pay for the thing as a private development.  A owner isn't going to simply build a stadium unless he or she has a way to make money on the deal.  You guys aren't children or stupid.  None of you are going to build a house that you aren't going to get your money plus some back.  At least knowingly.  They want it to be a gathering spot above the 8 crappy home gams a year.  Make it the place people want to go year round.

    Akron isn't the best example....Avon in Lorain county is where I would look.  I see lots of land on 90 just past the Westlake line.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    Akron isn't the best example....Avon in Lorain county is where I would look.  I see lots of land on 90 just past the Westlake line.  

    Lorain County? Yikes.

    At least the Cavs were smart enough to put their arena in the middle of nowhere centrally located between Cleveland and Akron. 

  • @flugel said:

    Gipper's cell phone has been invaded by crickets.  We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.  

    From what I have gathered - and anyone who can confirm or refute this please do - the ENTIRE Gateway complex takes up 27 acres. 

    That includes baseball park that originally sat 43,000, a 20,000 seat arena, a parking deck and all the land in-between. 

    But somehow the Browns would have to have 300 acres near or in downtown Cleveland? 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    From what I have gathered - and anyone who can confirm or refute this please do - the ENTIRE Gateway complex takes up 27 acres. 

    That includes baseball park that originally sat 43,000, a 20,000 seat arena, a parking deck and all the land in-between. 

    But somehow the Browns would have to have 300 acres near or in downtown Cleveland? 

    I agree.   To make it viable as a development for a owner financed deal, you are looking at 80 or so.  You have to understand that is you move out to a somewhat remote location, you will need parking spots available.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Akron isn't the best example....Avon in Lorain county is where I would look.  I see lots of land on 90 just past the Westlake line.  

    Lorain County? Yikes.

    At least the Cavs were smart enough to put their arena in the middle of nowhere centrally located between Cleveland and Akron. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Lorain County? Yikes.

    At least the Cavs were smart enough to put their arena in the middle of nowhere centrally located between Cleveland and Akron. 

    Why?  Avon Lake is Lorain county.  That is maybe a 15-20 drive from downtown on I90

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Lorain County? Yikes.

    At least the Cavs were smart enough to put their arena in the middle of nowhere centrally located between Cleveland and Akron. 

    Why?  Avon Lake is Lorain county.  That is maybe a 15-20 drive from downtown on I90

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    Why?  Avon Lake is Lorain county.  That is maybe a 15-20 drive from downtown on I90

    I guess I'm looking at it from someone who now lives in Stark County, and before that Portage County. 

    I would hope that if they moved from downtown they would do it somewhere a bit more centrally located than Avon Lake. 

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    We have to face facts.  The days of stadiums, unless they are iconic, don't last 60 years anymore.  Even if iconic they get torn down.  Old Tiger stadium...Yankee stadium was as iconic as it gets.

    Stadiums these days have a 30 year shelf life if they were built on the cheap like ours..  Ours, which is far from iconic, is what, 21-22 years old?  It's time to start thinking about it.  From planning to development takes 5 years.  

    If you build a really nice development, you might be able to go 50 years,

  • @ballpeen said:

    Why?  Avon Lake is Lorain county.  That is maybe a 15-20 drive from downtown on I90

    I guess I'm looking at it from someone who now lives in Stark County, and before that Portage County. 

    I would hope that if they moved from downtown they would do it somewhere a bit more centrally located than Avon Lake. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    I guess I'm looking at it from someone who now lives in Stark County, and before that Portage County. 

    I would hope that if they moved from downtown they would do it somewhere a bit more centrally located than Avon Lake. 

    I get.  The person living in Avon Lake might say the same if it was developed in  Stark County.  As a season ticket holder who lives in Hamilton county, Tennessee., on the Georgia border, I don't care where they build it.  I already drive 600+ miles to go to 6-7 games a year..  What's a few more?  For me, build it between Columbus and Cleveland.  Mansfield would work for me.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    Got to go...9am tee time.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Why?  Avon Lake is Lorain county.  That is maybe a 15-20 drive from downtown on I90

    I guess I'm looking at it from someone who now lives in Stark County, and before that Portage County. 

    I would hope that if they moved from downtown they would do it somewhere a bit more centrally located than Avon Lake. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    I guess I'm looking at it from someone who now lives in Stark County, and before that Portage County. 

    I would hope that if they moved from downtown they would do it somewhere a bit more centrally located than Avon Lake. 

    That's what I picked because of it not being too far away and the cute new name the Cleveland/Avon Lake Browns 😆 not because of any study of cost, availability, transportation or parking.

    Buying up property whether through voluntary sales or eminent domain can get to be time consuming and expensive.

    Like Dutch mentioned relocating a team out in the boonies miles from the city is not very appealing and last resort stuff .......just ask the SF and NY/NJ fans to mention a few.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    Just another thought on the Rodney Dangerfield's Caddyshack joke about the golf courses and cemeteries being a waste of good real estate they many years ago were located on the outskirts of towns away from everything.

    What has happened over time is the cities, towns have grown out and around them particularly the golf courses which would make them the preferred location for a new stadium.  Plus they would have the acreage needed for the stadium and adjacent buildings along with some parking.  Might be cheaper than buying and demolishing blocks of housing.

    Oh and I can't imagine what would be involved in relocating a cemetery, kind of like a bad zombie movie.   😮.    ◾

  • Just another thought on the Rodney Dangerfield's Caddyshack joke about the golf courses and cemeteries being a waste of good real estate they many years ago were located on the outskirts of towns away from everything.

    What has happened over time is the cities, towns have grown out and around them particularly the golf courses which would make them the preferred location for a new stadium.  Plus they would have the acreage needed for the stadium and adjacent buildings along with some parking.  Might be cheaper than buying and demolishing blocks of housing.

    Oh and I can't imagine what would be involved in relocating a cemetery, kind of like a bad zombie movie.   😮.    ◾

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Just another thought on the Rodney Dangerfield's Caddyshack joke about the golf courses and cemeteries being a waste of good real estate they many years ago were located on the outskirts of towns away from everything.

    What has happened over time is the cities, towns have grown out and around them particularly the golf courses which would make them the preferred location for a new stadium.  Plus they would have the acreage needed for the stadium and adjacent buildings along with some parking.  Might be cheaper than buying and demolishing blocks of housing.

    Oh and I can't imagine what would be involved in relocating a cemetery, kind of like a bad zombie movie.   😮.    ◾

    They should put golf courses on cemeteries with a lot of open holes for graves or balls. Then I might be tempted to play.?

  • @mjp28 said:

    Just another thought on the Rodney Dangerfield's Caddyshack joke about the golf courses and cemeteries being a waste of good real estate they many years ago were located on the outskirts of towns away from everything.

    What has happened over time is the cities, towns have grown out and around them particularly the golf courses which would make them the preferred location for a new stadium.  Plus they would have the acreage needed for the stadium and adjacent buildings along with some parking.  Might be cheaper than buying and demolishing blocks of housing.

    Oh and I can't imagine what would be involved in relocating a cemetery, kind of like a bad zombie movie.   😮.    ◾

    They should put golf courses on cemeteries with a lot of open holes for graves or balls. Then I might be tempted to play.?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    They should put golf courses on cemeteries with a lot of open holes for graves or balls. Then I might be tempted to play.?

    You are a sicko.  Instead of sand traps a 6' deep hole and a ladder ?    😆

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    How many acres does the entire Gateway complex take up, Gip? How many acres does Lucas Oil in Indianapolis take up? Seattle's CenturyLink? Detroit's Ford Field? 

    The answer is:  I don't know, and it does not matter. If you have been reading the point is not how much ground those stadium's take up....but how much ground does the league and these owners WANT for their operations?    They now want to follow the model set by the Cowboys, Patriots, 49ers, the LA teams, and others.....they want those like 300 acres so they can build a stadium, hotels, shops, parking etc. etc. so that they can garner big, big revenue from all that. They want to become real estate magnates, not just NFL team owners. 

  • @flugel said:

    Gipper's cell phone has been invaded by crickets.  We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.  

    From what I have gathered - and anyone who can confirm or refute this please do - the ENTIRE Gateway complex takes up 27 acres. 

    That includes baseball park that originally sat 43,000, a 20,000 seat arena, a parking deck and all the land in-between. 

    But somehow the Browns would have to have 300 acres near or in downtown Cleveland? 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    From what I have gathered - and anyone who can confirm or refute this please do - the ENTIRE Gateway complex takes up 27 acres. 

    That includes baseball park that originally sat 43,000, a 20,000 seat arena, a parking deck and all the land in-between. 

    But somehow the Browns would have to have 300 acres near or in downtown Cleveland? 

    YES.  Per their probable demand.  See my previous post.  They might settle for 200 acres.

  • Is the Akron Zoo all that viable?  It's a pretty good parcel ..50 acres. I am sure you could buy up 20 more.  I don't like evoking immanent domain laws, but I am sure Akron would like the business and would do what is best over the long haul.

    Medina county has several locations.  Avon in Lorain country is pretty wide open in spots.  The Atlanta Braves have a beautiful complex north of Atlanta.

    That is the script teams want to follow.  Own the land, lease to those wanting to be near by. Sure Mr. Marriott, I can land lease you 5 acres for 20 years with 5 year options after that to build a beautiful hotel.  That is how you pay for the thing as a private development.  A owner isn't going to simply build a stadium unless he or she has a way to make money on the deal.  You guys aren't children or stupid.  None of you are going to build a house that you aren't going to get your money plus some back.  At least knowingly.  They want it to be a gathering spot above the 8 crappy home gams a year.  Make it the place people want to go year round.

    Akron isn't the best example....Avon in Lorain county is where I would look.  I see lots of land on 90 just past the Westlake line.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    Is the Akron Zoo all that viable?  It's a pretty good parcel ..50 acres. I am sure you could buy up 20 more.  I don't like evoking immanent domain laws, but I am sure Akron would like the business and would do what is best over the long haul.

    Medina county has several locations.  Avon in Lorain country is pretty wide open in spots.  The Atlanta Braves have a beautiful complex north of Atlanta.

    That is the script teams want to follow.  Own the land, lease to those wanting to be near by. Sure Mr. Marriott, I can land lease you 5 acres for 20 years with 5 year options after that to build a beautiful hotel.  That is how you pay for the thing as a private development.  A owner isn't going to simply build a stadium unless he or she has a way to make money on the deal.  You guys aren't children or stupid.  None of you are going to build a house that you aren't going to get your money plus some back.  At least knowingly.  They want it to be a gathering spot above the 8 crappy home gams a year.  Make it the place people want to go year round.

    Akron isn't the best example....Avon in Lorain county is where I would look.  I see lots of land on 90 just past the Westlake line.  

    The Akron Zoo IS viable, so that would not be the location.   I had thought the location where the former Rolling Acres Mall sat would have made a fine location for a Stadium/Arena/retail site.  There was likely enough land there...even is they had to take over some current older commercial areas adjacent to it.   But, Amazon is now putting a distribution center there...and supposedly are going to have 3000 jobs  (I really have my doubts about that).  Then there is the Chapel Hill Mall site, which is likely closing.   Malls are closing at a rate higher than golf courses.  

    But, no, Akron would not be the place they would want to go.  Lorain County either.  The whole sin tax thing if you recall was just a Cuyahoga County thing.  I know they would prefer close to downtown, but if not that, they would need to stay in Cuyahoga County.   The old Randall Park Mall could have been a thing, but it too is now an Amazon distribution center. 

    There is a place in the south Flats that I saw in a sattellite image.   Near Steelyard Commons, and a golf course next to it called  Washington Learning course.  It looks like there is a huge, huge pile of coal, or some dark material there.   I don't know if that is a landfill, or if it is still a viable manufacturing area.  It is right at the Fleet Ave. intersection with I-77.   See if you can take a look at that.  I wonder if anyone knows anything about it. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    From what I have gathered - and anyone who can confirm or refute this please do - the ENTIRE Gateway complex takes up 27 acres. 

    That includes baseball park that originally sat 43,000, a 20,000 seat arena, a parking deck and all the land in-between. 

    But somehow the Browns would have to have 300 acres near or in downtown Cleveland? 

    I agree.   To make it viable as a development for a owner financed deal, you are looking at 80 or so.  You have to understand that is you move out to a somewhat remote location, you will need parking spots available.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree.   To make it viable as a development for a owner financed deal, you are looking at 80 or so.  You have to understand that is you move out to a somewhat remote location, you will need parking spots available.

    And that is what they want.   I read that Jerry charges $100 just to park at Cowboys games.  And I think they get like 15,000 cars there.  That is $1,500,000  in his pocket before you walk in the door to the stadium.