Left Tackle - Flugel Faves and Hopefuls
-
Well.... Yanda retired... so there's that...

I hear ya. You know I don't think Jones is a reach at 10... I'd just rather land him lower and collect the added draft capital.
Kinlaw? I dream of landing a Pass pressuring DT almost as much as I do a thumping Mike, but I'd also like a little run stop in the same package and Javon hasn't shown he's that on a consistent basis.
I walked right into that one with Yanda.
I've revised my faves and moved JJ up to #3 and Wills up to #2. Shoved Wirfs down to #4 and swam against the current to add Becton at #5. I added some highlights in my previous post. All that being the case, I'm thinking only Thomas, Wills and Jones are worthy of the 10th pick overall - giving us BPA or tradeback options...
I walked right into that one with Yanda.
I've revised my faves and moved JJ up to #3 and Wills up to #2. Shoved Wirfs down to #4 and swam against the current to add Becton at #5. I added some highlights in my previous post. All that being the case, I'm thinking only Thomas, Wills and Jones are worthy of the 10th pick overall - giving us BPA or tradeback options...
I dont see it with Wills. He is good in a phone booth but I dont like how he drops back and that seems like a recipe for disaster at LT. I want Thomas but dont think hell be there. I would understand Becton because we while he is raw he has the tools and we are going to run the ball a ton. Then I would trade back for Jones or maybe Cleveland.
-
Well.... Yanda retired... so there's that...

I hear ya. You know I don't think Jones is a reach at 10... I'd just rather land him lower and collect the added draft capital.
Kinlaw? I dream of landing a Pass pressuring DT almost as much as I do a thumping Mike, but I'd also like a little run stop in the same package and Javon hasn't shown he's that on a consistent basis.
I walked right into that one with Yanda.
I've revised my faves and moved JJ up to #3 and Wills up to #2. Shoved Wirfs down to #4 and swam against the current to add Becton at #5. I added some highlights in my previous post. All that being the case, I'm thinking only Thomas, Wills and Jones are worthy of the 10th pick overall - giving us BPA or tradeback options...
I walked right into that one with Yanda.
I've revised my faves and moved JJ up to #3 and Wills up to #2. Shoved Wirfs down to #4 and swam against the current to add Byouecton at #5. I added some highlights in my previous post. All that being the case, I'm thinking only Thomas, Wills and Jones are worthy of the 10th pick overall - giving us BPA or tradeback options...
Pffft... and I posted about a 17-game 2020 season yesterday... it happens.
Now need you to drop Becton altogether and add Peart...

-
-
-
Wirfs alert from the first of the two articles htown posted...
"... often, a guy who can’t handle left tackle can play right tackle,” said Savage. “At the very least, he usually can play guard. In other words, you do get something good from the pick — even if it’s not at left tackle.”
For example, Robert Gallery was the No. 2 pick in the 2004 draft. He was supposed to be a “can’t miss tackle” coming out of Iowa.
He struggled at both left and right tackle in the NFL, but eventually had a decent career as a starting left guard for five seasons.
-
And from the other article where Joe T. says...
“I would say, guys that are ready from day one, to be dominant in the run game, Wirfs would be the first guy,” Thomas said. “But if you’re going to ask a guy to drop back and pass block, which still happens and you still want that skill, then a guy like Mekhi Becton or Jedrick Wills would possibly, maybe, suit that bill just slightly more. But really I think the Browns are in such a great position because they need a left tackle. There’s four, maybe five of them who all could do a great job.”
Slight nod to Jones(?) methinks... but I'm actually glad he mentions neither him nor Thomas.
I wonder if he is consulting for our FO?
-
And from the other article where Joe T. says...
“I would say, guys that are ready from day one, to be dominant in the run game, Wirfs would be the first guy,” Thomas said. “But if you’re going to ask a guy to drop back and pass block, which still happens and you still want that skill, then a guy like Mekhi Becton or Jedrick Wills would possibly, maybe, suit that bill just slightly more. But really I think the Browns are in such a great position because they need a left tackle. There’s four, maybe five of them who all could do a great job.”
Slight nod to Jones(?) methinks... but I'm actually glad he mentions neither him nor Thomas.
I wonder if he is consulting for our FO?
-
I walked right into that one with Yanda.
I've revised my faves and moved JJ up to #3 and Wills up to #2. Shoved Wirfs down to #4 and swam against the current to add Byouecton at #5. I added some highlights in my previous post. All that being the case, I'm thinking only Thomas, Wills and Jones are worthy of the 10th pick overall - giving us BPA or tradeback options...
Pffft... and I posted about a 17-game 2020 season yesterday... it happens.
Now need you to drop Becton altogether and add Peart...

Pffft... and I posted about a 17-game 2020 season yesterday... it happens.
Now need you to drop Becton altogether and add Peart...

Thanks! Not to worry, guys that are better fits at RT, OG or a power scheme in lieu of a zbs (ie: Wirfs and Becton) won't keep spots #4 and 5 for much longer. With Becton, I just wanted to give him more respect than my first impression of him looking like he'd never get out of the uncomfortable stance he was pictured in. Remember that song 16 Candles? It looked like he had all 16 lit and super-glued to the end of his dumpster. I can see him getting Orlando Brown'd to RT, which can work out well for a team that doesn't need a LT this year. Brown played in a Pro Bowl at RT in just his second season. Becton moves better than Brown and he's stronger.
Right now, I see Thomas, Wills and Jones as worthy of #10 overall. I appreciate your Peart recommendation. There's a few guys I want to watch some film on before I finalize my last 2 guys...
-
I walked right into that one with Yanda.
I've revised my faves and moved JJ up to #3 and Wills up to #2. Shoved Wirfs down to #4 and swam against the current to add Becton at #5. I added some highlights in my previous post. All that being the case, I'm thinking only Thomas, Wills and Jones are worthy of the 10th pick overall - giving us BPA or tradeback options...
I dont see it with Wills. He is good in a phone booth but I dont like how he drops back and that seems like a recipe for disaster at LT. I want Thomas but dont think hell be there. I would understand Becton because we while he is raw he has the tools and we are going to run the ball a ton. Then I would trade back for Jones or maybe Cleveland.
I dont see it with Wills. He is good in a phone booth but I dont like how he drops back and that seems like a recipe for disaster at LT. I want Thomas but dont think hell be there. I would understand Becton because we while he is raw he has the tools and we are going to run the ball a ton. Then I would trade back for Jones or maybe Cleveland.
Even before Joe Thomas mentioned it, people we're questioning Becton's compatibility for the zbs. I think he can play and his ability to move is underrated IMO; but I'm not sure if LT will be his NFL niche especially early on. Keep in mind that comes from the same guy that told you Lamar Jackson couldn't play - so there is that...
Anyway, here's some footage that could change your mind some on Wills.
-
Pffft... and I posted about a 17-game 2020 season yesterday... it happens.
Now need you to drop Becton altogether and add Peart...

Thanks! Not to worry, guys that are better fits at RT, OG or a power scheme in lieu of a zbs (ie: Wirfs and Becton) won't keep spots #4 and 5 for much longer. With Becton, I just wanted to give him more respect than my first impression of him looking like he'd never get out of the uncomfortable stance he was pictured in. Remember that song 16 Candles? It looked like he had all 16 lit and super-glued to the end of his dumpster. I can see him getting Orlando Brown'd to RT, which can work out well for a team that doesn't need a LT this year. Brown played in a Pro Bowl at RT in just his second season. Becton moves better than Brown and he's stronger.
Right now, I see Thomas, Wills and Jones as worthy of #10 overall. I appreciate your Peart recommendation. There's a few guys I want to watch some film on before I finalize my last 2 guys...
With Becton, I just wanted to give him more respect than my first impression of him looking like he'd never get out of the uncomfortable stance he was pictured in.
I can see him getting Orlando Brown'd to RT, which can work out well for a team that doesn't need a LT this year. Brown played in a Pro Bowl at RT in just his second season. Becton moves better than Brown and he's stronger.
lol... Kinda the road I went down as well with Mekhi... First blush was, "He can't be this bad."
Next pause was, "Can he slim down and become more effective as Brown, Jr. did?" It was at this point I realized that I did not need to project Becton's ceiling when I could see much higher floors in others who also had room to grow.
Even before Joe Thomas mentioned it, people we're questioning Becton's compatibility for the zbs. I think he can play and his ability to move is underrated IMO; but I'm not sure if LT will be his NFL niche especially early on.
Keep in mind that comes from the same guy that told you Lamar Jackson couldn't play - so there is that...
Becton can move... it's his ability to move under control that concerns me.
As for Joe on Lamar... give Joe a number. The list of Jackson doubters is long and distinguished. The list of those who saw him being as electric as he was last season? Well.... if there is a list, then it would fit on one of those tiny Post-Its.
-
With Becton, I just wanted to give him more respect than my first impression of him looking like he'd never get out of the uncomfortable stance he was pictured in.
I can see him getting Orlando Brown'd to RT, which can work out well for a team that doesn't need a LT this year. Brown played in a Pro Bowl at RT in just his second season. Becton moves better than Brown and he's stronger.
lol... Kinda the road I went down as well with Mekhi... First blush was, "He can't be this bad."
Next pause was, "Can he slim down and become more effective as Brown, Jr. did?" It was at this point I realized that I did not need to project Becton's ceiling when I could see much higher floors in others who also had room to grow.
Even before Joe Thomas mentioned it, people we're questioning Becton's compatibility for the zbs. I think he can play and his ability to move is underrated IMO; but I'm not sure if LT will be his NFL niche especially early on.
Keep in mind that comes from the same guy that told you Lamar Jackson couldn't play - so there is that...
Becton can move... it's his ability to move under control that concerns me.
As for Joe on Lamar... give Joe a number. The list of Jackson doubters is long and distinguished. The list of those who saw him being as electric as he was last season? Well.... if there is a list, then it would fit on one of those tiny Post-Its.
lol... Kinda the road I went down as well with Mekhi... First blush was, "He can't be this bad."
Next pause was, "Can he slim down and become more effective as Brown, Jr. did?" It was at this point I realized that I did not need to project Becton's ceiling when I could see much higher floors in others who also had room to grow.
Becton can move... it's his ability to move under control that concerns me.
As for Joe on Lamar... give Joe a number. The list of Jackson doubters is long and distinguished. The list of those who saw him being as electric as he was last season? Well.... if there is a list, then it would fit on one of those tiny Post-Its.
I was referring to me telling Louisville Slugger that Lamar Jackson couldn't play.
-
lol... Kinda the road I went down as well with Mekhi... First blush was, "He can't be this bad."
Next pause was, "Can he slim down and become more effective as Brown, Jr. did?" It was at this point I realized that I did not need to project Becton's ceiling when I could see much higher floors in others who also had room to grow.
Becton can move... it's his ability to move under control that concerns me.
As for Joe on Lamar... give Joe a number. The list of Jackson doubters is long and distinguished. The list of those who saw him being as electric as he was last season? Well.... if there is a list, then it would fit on one of those tiny Post-Its.
I was referring to me telling Louisville Slugger that Lamar Jackson couldn't play.
-
lol... Kinda the road I went down as well with Mekhi... First blush was, "He can't be this bad."
Next pause was, "Can he slim down and become more effective as Brown, Jr. did?" It was at this point I realized that I did not need to project Becton's ceiling when I could see much higher floors in others who also had room to grow.
Becton can move... it's his ability to move under control that concerns me.
As for Joe on Lamar... give Joe a number. The list of Jackson doubters is long and distinguished. The list of those who saw him being as electric as he was last season? Well.... if there is a list, then it would fit on one of those tiny Post-Its.
I was referring to me telling Louisville Slugger that Lamar Jackson couldn't play.
I was referring to me telling Louisville Slugger that Lamar Jackson couldn't play.
I said that if Lamar ended up in a Greg Roman offense I would take #1 overall, I dont think he would be half as good if he went anywhere else. So I dont think you were completely wrong. I dont think there are many people who know how to use his skill set properly.
I dont want to come off like I hate Wills as a prospect, I just dont like the idea of him at LT. I look at his initial drop back and feel like he doesnt cover enough ground. He does alot of things really well, hes smart, powerful, quick, and plays with a good foundation. I think top level pass rushers will take the edge on him but I could be wrong. I really think he is an elite guard prospect and a safe pick at RT. Problem is we need a LT
-
lol... Kinda the road I went down as well with Mekhi... First blush was, "He can't be this bad."
Next pause was, "Can he slim down and become more effective as Brown, Jr. did?" It was at this point I realized that I did not need to project Becton's ceiling when I could see much higher floors in others who also had room to grow.
Becton can move... it's his ability to move under control that concerns me.
As for Joe on Lamar... give Joe a number. The list of Jackson doubters is long and distinguished. The list of those who saw him being as electric as he was last season? Well.... if there is a list, then it would fit on one of those tiny Post-Its.
I was referring to me telling Louisville Slugger that Lamar Jackson couldn't play.
-
I was referring to me telling Louisville Slugger that Lamar Jackson couldn't play.
I said that if Lamar ended up in a Greg Roman offense I would take #1 overall, I dont think he would be half as good if he went anywhere else. So I dont think you were completely wrong. I dont think there are many people who know how to use his skill set properly.
I dont want to come off like I hate Wills as a prospect, I just dont like the idea of him at LT. I look at his initial drop back and feel like he doesnt cover enough ground. He does alot of things really well, hes smart, powerful, quick, and plays with a good foundation. I think top level pass rushers will take the edge on him but I could be wrong. I really think he is an elite guard prospect and a safe pick at RT. Problem is we need a LT
I said that if Lamar ended up in a Greg Roman offense I would take #1 overall, I dont think he would be half as good if he went anywhere else. So I dont think you were completely wrong. I dont think there are many people who know how to use his skill set properly.
I dont want to come off like I hate Wills as a prospect, I just dont like the idea of him at LT. I look at his initial drop back and feel like he doesnt cover enough ground. He does alot of things really well, hes smart, powerful, quick, and plays with a good foundation. I think top level pass rushers will take the edge on him but I could be wrong. I really think he is an elite guard prospect and a safe pick at RT. Problem is we need a LT
No worries. You acknowledged some of Wills' strengths and explained where you are coming from about him as a LT.
-
You mean the Nebraska CB Lamar Jackson? About a 3rd rounder?
I wish that was who I was referring to...
-
I said that if Lamar ended up in a Greg Roman offense I would take #1 overall, I dont think he would be half as good if he went anywhere else. So I dont think you were completely wrong. I dont think there are many people who know how to use his skill set properly.
I dont want to come off like I hate Wills as a prospect, I just dont like the idea of him at LT. I look at his initial drop back and feel like he doesnt cover enough ground. He does alot of things really well, hes smart, powerful, quick, and plays with a good foundation. I think top level pass rushers will take the edge on him but I could be wrong. I really think he is an elite guard prospect and a safe pick at RT. Problem is we need a LT
No worries. You acknowledged some of Wills' strengths and explained where you are coming from about him as a LT.
-
Interesting - this guy has the top four for the Browns - with Ezra Cleveland being #4, and Wills not being one of the four.
Because Wills played RT or...?
-
Interesting - this guy has the top four for the Browns - with Ezra Cleveland being #4, and Wills not being one of the four.
Because Wills played RT or...?
Because Wills played RT or...?
That'd be my guess because Smith picked Wills for us in a Dec, 2019 mock...
But then he took Prince Tega Wanogho, Auburn's LT, in Round 2.
https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-mock-drafts/2020/browns-browns-maven-2020-pete-smith
-
So who is better than Ezra?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login