Skip to content

Andy Dalton Released

The Browns Board
35 17 1.4k 1
  • @baconhound said:

    At the right price wouldn’t mind seeing him as a backup to Baker

    As a Browns fan living near Cincinnati, and who's seen Dalton's work first hand, he's definitely not worth the $18m/year just to be a backup.

    @jbluhm86 said:

    he's definitely not worth the $18m/year just to be a backup.

    This, plus the fact that it is a buyer's market right now. On a related note, it's surprising that Chicago hasn't made a play for any Qb yet.

  • @baconhound said:

    At the right price wouldn’t mind seeing him as a backup to Baker

    As a Browns fan living near Cincinnati, and who's seen Dalton's work first hand, he's definitely not worth the $18m/year just to be a backup.

    @jbluhm86 said:

    As a Browns fan living near Cincinnati, and who's seen Dalton's work first hand, he's definitely not worth the $18m/year just to be a backup.

    I am not of the belief that any team is required to honor that contract if they were to pick him up.  In a trade?  Yes.  But not now that he is basically on the street. 

  • @jbluhm86 said:

    he's definitely not worth the $18m/year just to be a backup.

    This, plus the fact that it is a buyer's market right now. On a related note, it's surprising that Chicago hasn't made a play for any Qb yet.

    @barry said:

    This, plus the fact that it is a buyer's market right now. On a related note, it's surprising that Chicago hasn't made a play for any Qb yet.

    Uh, Uhmm....they traded for Nick Foles...don't you call that  "play" for a QB?   And still have Trubisky. 

  • @jbluhm86 said:

    As a Browns fan living near Cincinnati, and who's seen Dalton's work first hand, he's definitely not worth the $18m/year just to be a backup.

    Still when the next quarterback panic hits like injuries and retirements hit teams will way overpay for anyone in a single digits or teens jersey number that can throw the ball.

    A wave of retirements is on the horizon even with the newer don't touch the QB and WR rules.

    @mjp28 said:

    Still when the next quarterback panic hits like injuries and retirements hit teams will way overpay for anyone in a single digits of teens jersey number that can throw the ball.

    A wave of retirements is on the horizon even with the newer don't touch the QB and WR rules.

    Yep.  started with Eli.  Then we will have Brady, Brees,  BR, Rivers.   Green Bay as we have seen is making preparations for post-Rodgers life. 

    Jags seem to be in Tank for Trevor mode, somewhat. (doing fair job of rebuilding a lot of the rest of the team....but doing nothing about QB.)

    Pats are in "move on mode" now....but to where/which direction. 

  • @barry said:

    This, plus the fact that it is a buyer's market right now. On a related note, it's surprising that Chicago hasn't made a play for any Qb yet.

    Uh, Uhmm....they traded for Nick Foles...don't you call that  "play" for a QB?   And still have Trubisky. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Uh, Uhmm....they traded for Nick Foles...don't you call that  "play" for a QB?   And still have Trubisky. 

    Nick Foles has never played more than half a season 6 out of 8 seasons. He is currently listed as Trubisky's back-up. Two years ago the Bears won 12 games and Trubisky sucks. No, I don't call that a play for a starting calibre Qb.

  • Case Keenum is far the greater backup qb, imho.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Case Keenum is far the greater backup qb, imho.

    Agree... while Andy would still strongly prefer to start, Case can content himself with being a backup. I don't see Andy being there yet.

    @jbluhm86 said:

    Talking heads in the sports media are all about Dalton heading to the Pats, but with their cap situation, I'm not sure how feasible or desirable that is.

    Bill won't woo Andy with $$$... he'll woo him with Lombardis...

  • Wow, they couldn’t get anything for him? Not even a low draft pick? I didn’t think he was that bad. 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Wow, they couldn’t get anything for him? Not even a low draft pick? I didn’t think he was that bad. 

    He's mostly bad when it matters the most (in the 4th Q and in big games). But, that's hardly ideal for a QB. ?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Uh, Uhmm....they traded for Nick Foles...don't you call that  "play" for a QB?   And still have Trubisky. 

    Nick Foles has never played more than half a season 6 out of 8 seasons. He is currently listed as Trubisky's back-up. Two years ago the Bears won 12 games and Trubisky sucks. No, I don't call that a play for a starting calibre Qb.

    @barry said:

    Nick Foles has never played more than half a season 6 out of 8 seasons. He is currently listed as Trubisky's back-up. Two years ago the Bears won 12 games and Trubisky sucks. No, I don't call that a play for a starting calibre Qb.

    Well, sorry, everyone else on planet earth would.  

    So, OK....he is not starting caliber  (you spelled it calibre...are you British?)......he is  Championship, Super Bowl MVP  caliber. 

  • Well.. This is pure DUMBASSERY" on Cincitucky's part.... You don't dump your current starter just because you drafted a kid with potential... For all they know..... He could turn out to be Ryan Leaf.. But there's a reason why I call them "The Bungholios"

  • If Keenum wasn't here, I'd sign him if I were the Browns in a second. He'd be a great backup QB.

  • Well.. This is pure DUMBASSERY" on Cincitucky's part.... You don't dump your current starter just because you drafted a kid with potential... For all they know..... He could turn out to be Ryan Leaf.. But there's a reason why I call them "The Bungholios"

    @nickers said:

    Well.. This is pure DUMBASSERY" on Cincitucky's part.... You don't dump your current starter just because you drafted a kid with potential... For all they know..... He could turn out to be Ryan Leaf.. But there's a reason why I call them "The Bungholios"

    I thought it was "Cintucky"... oh well...

    Don't forget Finley was their starter for much of early 2019... of course in part that is how they were in position to draft Burrow.

    Only thing I can think is that Andy, perhaps by his mere presence, was so divisive in his backup role in 2019 that they knew they'd be better off with him gone. Plus if there are growing pains, then so be it... not as if a rookie QB vs. Dalton is the difference between making the playoffs or not. He hasn't made that difference in four years.

    Plus there's also that there is 0% chance Burrow is Ryan Leaf-ish...

  • Well.. This is pure DUMBASSERY" on Cincitucky's part.... You don't dump your current starter just because you drafted a kid with potential... For all they know..... He could turn out to be Ryan Leaf.. But there's a reason why I call them "The Bungholios"

    @nickers said:

    Well.. This is pure DUMBASSERY" on Cincitucky's part.... You don't dump your current starter just because you drafted a kid with potential... For all they know..... He could turn out to be Ryan Leaf.. But there's a reason why I call them "The Bungholios"

    Well, that is a fair point.  However, I think the move was as much of a financial move as it was anything else.   They have Ryan Finley  to backup Burrow. I guess they want to go that route, for a while.

    And while I don't think Burrow will bust on the order of Ryan Leaf or  Jamarcus Russell......I could not say that there is NO chance that he could be in the Sam Bradford, Alex Smith,  David Carr category.   Not that I am expecting that,  it would just not be surprising to me. 

  • @nickers said:

    Well.. This is pure DUMBASSERY" on Cincitucky's part.... You don't dump your current starter just because you drafted a kid with potential... For all they know..... He could turn out to be Ryan Leaf.. But there's a reason why I call them "The Bungholios"

    Well, that is a fair point.  However, I think the move was as much of a financial move as it was anything else.   They have Ryan Finley  to backup Burrow. I guess they want to go that route, for a while.

    And while I don't think Burrow will bust on the order of Ryan Leaf or  Jamarcus Russell......I could not say that there is NO chance that he could be in the Sam Bradford, Alex Smith,  David Carr category.   Not that I am expecting that,  it would just not be surprising to me. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, that is a fair point.  However, I think the move was as much of a financial move as it was anything else.   They have Ryan Lindley to backup Burrow. I guess they want to go that route, for a while.

    I think you meant to say Ryan Finley (Ryan Lindley was our QB Coach in 2019); and Finley should be a pretty good backup for Burrow.

  • @barry said:

    Nick Foles has never played more than half a season 6 out of 8 seasons. He is currently listed as Trubisky's back-up. Two years ago the Bears won 12 games and Trubisky sucks. No, I don't call that a play for a starting calibre Qb.

    Well, sorry, everyone else on planet earth would.  

    So, OK....he is not starting caliber  (you spelled it calibre...are you British?)......he is  Championship, Super Bowl MVP  caliber. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, sorry, everyone else on planet earth would.  

    So, OK....he is not starting caliber  (you spelled it calibre...are you British?)......he is  Championship, Super Bowl MVP  caliber. 

    You are playing loose with words there Gipper. Super Bowl winning Qb is not a Super Bowl MVP caliBER Qb, at least not in my book.

    Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Nick Foles...the list does not stop there. Those are SB winning Qbs but they are not SB calibre Qbs. I define the latter as franchise Qbs who can consistently give a team outstanding Qb play and winning football.

    And is strange that if 'everyone' (really?) considered him a long-term starting Qb there has been few times where teams have decided to go with him (outside of injury to others), to lead their team into the season. No, in spite of your insistence I am going to stick to my guns on this one. 

  • Wow, they couldn’t get anything for him? Not even a low draft pick? I didn’t think he was that bad. 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Wow, they couldn’t get anything for him? Not even a low draft pick? I didn’t think he was that bad. 

    I’m sure it was something about money owed. No one was going to take 17.5 mil to the face for dalton.

    @jbluhm86 said:

    Talking heads in the sports media are all about Dalton heading to the Pats, but with their cap situation, I'm not sure how feasible or desirable that is.

    Dallas, perhaps? I could see if Dak continues his contract dispute, Jerrah might just say fuck it and sign Dalton as a bridge QB. Doesn't hurt that Dalton is from Texas and played at TCU, either.

    pats can create a bit of cap space extending a few dudes, enough to get him if they wanted. If he wants to start I don’t see anywhere sale in the league that makes sense. If that’s the case I was reading pats could scrape up $10 mil or so.

    Crazy one to me is cam newton. My fear is he realizes he’s a backup now and goes to the logical spot in Baltimore. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, sorry, everyone else on planet earth would.  

    So, OK....he is not starting caliber  (you spelled it calibre...are you British?)......he is  Championship, Super Bowl MVP  caliber. 

    You are playing loose with words there Gipper. Super Bowl winning Qb is not a Super Bowl MVP caliBER Qb, at least not in my book.

    Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Nick Foles...the list does not stop there. Those are SB winning Qbs but they are not SB calibre Qbs. I define the latter as franchise Qbs who can consistently give a team outstanding Qb play and winning football.

    And is strange that if 'everyone' (really?) considered him a long-term starting Qb there has been few times where teams have decided to go with him (outside of injury to others), to lead their team into the season. No, in spite of your insistence I am going to stick to my guns on this one. 

    @barry said:

    No, in spite of your insistence I am going to stick to my guns on this one. 

    You'll pay for that.. one way or another. 😉

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, sorry, everyone else on planet earth would.  

    So, OK....he is not starting caliber  (you spelled it calibre...are you British?)......he is  Championship, Super Bowl MVP  caliber. 

    You are playing loose with words there Gipper. Super Bowl winning Qb is not a Super Bowl MVP caliBER Qb, at least not in my book.

    Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Nick Foles...the list does not stop there. Those are SB winning Qbs but they are not SB calibre Qbs. I define the latter as franchise Qbs who can consistently give a team outstanding Qb play and winning football.

    And is strange that if 'everyone' (really?) considered him a long-term starting Qb there has been few times where teams have decided to go with him (outside of injury to others), to lead their team into the season. No, in spite of your insistence I am going to stick to my guns on this one. 

    @barry said:

    You are playing loose with words there Gipper. Super Bowl winning Qb is not a Super Bowl MVP caliBER Qb, at least not in my book.

    I think you are the one that is playing loose with words.   You asked simply  "I am surprised that the Bears have not made a play for a starting QB"  You didn't preface it with:  I am surprised that the Bears did not make a play for a borderline Hall of Fame QB.   And further you are playing loose with words when you say the Foles is not a Super Bowl MVP caliber QB.  But the thing is....he is EXACTLY that.  He WON the Super Bowl MVP. 

    Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Nick Foles...the list does not stop there. Those are SB winning Qbs but they are not SB calibre Qbs. I define the latter as franchise Qbs who can consistently give a team outstanding Qb play and winning football.

    Again, you play loose with words.  Those QBs you mention DID in fact give their team  outstanding QB play and gave them winning football...in the years they all started and won Super Bowls.   But, if you actually meant that you wanted only  , as I said, borderline HOF  QBs.....QBs that were taking their teams to the top echelon year after year....then you should have said that....And what you meant was that you just wanted the possible half dozen QBs over the last 20 years that have done that. 

    And is strange that if 'everyone' (really?) considered him a long-term starting Qb there has been few times where teams have decided to go with him (outside of injury to others), to lead their team into the season. No, in spite of your insistence I am going to stick to my guns on this one. 

    You can stick to your guns all you want.   But YOU  have to decide which gun it is that you want to stick to.  So....you do not want any QB to be in play for the Bears  that  only ever lead his team one single Super Bowl...victory.  (which in this group of FA QBs this year would include Drew Brees)  .....or one that  took his team to a Super Bowl victory, won the MVP, lead that team in playoffs in another year, even if he played full time (Foles).   And it would obviously mean you do not want a QB who was unsuccesful in the SB he played in  (Newton).     And certainly the Teddy Bridgewaters, Winstons,  Tannehill , Mariota, Rivers, Case Keenums would be out....because NONE of them have proven to be Super Bowl MVP caliber....or even capable of taking their team to the Super Bowl....because none of them have.    So, by logic and deduction there was only ONE guy out there that to you, who was a free agent capable of being a  multiple SB  MVP,   was Tom Brady.    So, I guess your question really was:  why didn't the Bears make a play for Tom Brady. .  

    On the other hand...if you had some other names in mind...you should just spell those out...and just go by the names you want  and not base it on any particular criteria, which all but one guy could ever have met. 

  • @barry said:

    No, in spite of your insistence I am going to stick to my guns on this one. 

    You'll pay for that.. one way or another. 😉

    @tour2ma said:

    You'll pay for that.. one way or another. 😉

    And his price will  be the "Application of Logic"   fee. 

  • Nick_Foles_named_Super_Bowl_MVP.jpg

  • @barry said:

    You are playing loose with words there Gipper. Super Bowl winning Qb is not a Super Bowl MVP caliBER Qb, at least not in my book.

    I think you are the one that is playing loose with words.   You asked simply  "I am surprised that the Bears have not made a play for a starting QB"  You didn't preface it with:  I am surprised that the Bears did not make a play for a borderline Hall of Fame QB.   And further you are playing loose with words when you say the Foles is not a Super Bowl MVP caliber QB.  But the thing is....he is EXACTLY that.  He WON the Super Bowl MVP. 

    Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Nick Foles...the list does not stop there. Those are SB winning Qbs but they are not SB calibre Qbs. I define the latter as franchise Qbs who can consistently give a team outstanding Qb play and winning football.

    Again, you play loose with words.  Those QBs you mention DID in fact give their team  outstanding QB play and gave them winning football...in the years they all started and won Super Bowls.   But, if you actually meant that you wanted only  , as I said, borderline HOF  QBs.....QBs that were taking their teams to the top echelon year after year....then you should have said that....And what you meant was that you just wanted the possible half dozen QBs over the last 20 years that have done that. 

    And is strange that if 'everyone' (really?) considered him a long-term starting Qb there has been few times where teams have decided to go with him (outside of injury to others), to lead their team into the season. No, in spite of your insistence I am going to stick to my guns on this one. 

    You can stick to your guns all you want.   But YOU  have to decide which gun it is that you want to stick to.  So....you do not want any QB to be in play for the Bears  that  only ever lead his team one single Super Bowl...victory.  (which in this group of FA QBs this year would include Drew Brees)  .....or one that  took his team to a Super Bowl victory, won the MVP, lead that team in playoffs in another year, even if he played full time (Foles).   And it would obviously mean you do not want a QB who was unsuccesful in the SB he played in  (Newton).     And certainly the Teddy Bridgewaters, Winstons,  Tannehill , Mariota, Rivers, Case Keenums would be out....because NONE of them have proven to be Super Bowl MVP caliber....or even capable of taking their team to the Super Bowl....because none of them have.    So, by logic and deduction there was only ONE guy out there that to you, who was a free agent capable of being a  multiple SB  MVP,   was Tom Brady.    So, I guess your question really was:  why didn't the Bears make a play for Tom Brady. .  

    On the other hand...if you had some other names in mind...you should just spell those out...and just go by the names you want  and not base it on any particular criteria, which all but one guy could ever have met. 

    @the-gipper said:

    There is one issue being discussed, and that is whether ‘everybody’ considers Nick Foles a starting Qb. Here are his stats. Feel free to look them up. I did.

    He has been a designated back-up Qb for 71 games. He has been a starter due to the injury of the Qb playing ahead of him 18 games, and he has been the designated starter in 21 games.

    Now there is grey area here, small as it may be. For example, could Vick have come back after 2-3 weeks from a concussion if Noles had been playing poorly? We will never know. But even if you grant that possibility it doesn’t change the facts a hell of a lot.

    Excluding injuries which have forced him to start, Nick Foles has been a designated back-up 77% of his games for his career.

    He has also been traded or released 4 times.

    He is also listed as the 2nd Qb behind Mitch Trubisky, recognized by many as one of the worse starting Qbs in the league.

    I will grant you that Nick Foles has been unbelievable at times. But it is his inconsistency which has always driven him back to being what he has been more than ¾ of his career. Far from ‘everyone’ thinking he is a starting Qb, ask yourself if he is that good consistently why has he been traded or released 4 times and why are more than 75% of his games is he sitting on the bench? You think maybe 'everybody' doesn't think he is a starter?