Skip to content

Mt. Rushmore of Coaches

The Browns Board
33 11 1.2k 1
  • @the-gipper said:

    Not in any post that I see on this thread.    Picking them in your brain doesn't really reveal anything to the rest of us. 

    Moderators must have deleted it... Weird. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @dutch-oven said:

    Moderators must have deleted it... Weird. 

    Very Trumpish of you. 

  • so, If I only could pick two of the greatest pro football head coaches of all time - I'd take Paul Brown and Tom Landry.

    Similarly, I'd pick Ara Parseghian, Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant....as the greatest college head coaches.

    lists are subjective - sure.

    I know - Knute Rockne - is on the list, but that was before my time. I'm not that old, so....

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #25

    @calfoxwc said:

    so, If I only could pick two of the greatest pro football head coaches of all time - I'd take Paul Brown and Tom Landry.

    Similarly, I'd pick Ara Parseghian, Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant....as the greatest college head coaches.

    lists are subjective - sure.

    I know - Knute Rockne - is on the list, but that was before my time. I'm not that old, so....

    Interesting  trivia:     What coaches have won both  a College National Championship,  and a Pro football championship.  Off the top of my head there is:

    Paul Brown

    Pete Carroll

    Jimmy Johnson,  I believe

    Anyone else?

    Edit....Ah!  Barry Switzer also. 

    Some others may have come close, doing fairly well at both levels if not actually winning a title in both,   like Dick Vermeil,  Bill Walsh,   Jim Harbaugh, Don Coryell. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Another  interesting question related to above:

    Is there anyone out there now who could go from having won a college title to going pro and giving it a run?

    Some guys have tried a hand at it, and failed badly:    Steve Spurrier,  Chip Kelly,   Nick Saban,  John McKay, Bud Wilkinson, Frank Kush

    I think Chuck Fairbanks gave the NFL a shot. 

    John Robinson won title at USC,  and did coach the Rams fairly well for some years.

    Lou Holtz was a failure in the Pros.

    Dennis Erikson,  coached Seahawks for a while....not that well if I recall. 

    Another that came close:    Bobby Ross.   Won national title with Ga. Tech.. ...coached the Chargers to their only Super Bowl appearance.

    Could potentially national championship coaches  the likes of Urban Meyer,  Dabo Sweeney, ...Ed Orgeron?   be tempted to give the Pros a try, ala Spurrier et al? 

  • Another  interesting question related to above:

    Is there anyone out there now who could go from having won a college title to going pro and giving it a run?

    Some guys have tried a hand at it, and failed badly:    Steve Spurrier,  Chip Kelly,   Nick Saban,  John McKay, Bud Wilkinson, Frank Kush

    I think Chuck Fairbanks gave the NFL a shot. 

    John Robinson won title at USC,  and did coach the Rams fairly well for some years.

    Lou Holtz was a failure in the Pros.

    Dennis Erikson,  coached Seahawks for a while....not that well if I recall. 

    Another that came close:    Bobby Ross.   Won national title with Ga. Tech.. ...coached the Chargers to their only Super Bowl appearance.

    Could potentially national championship coaches  the likes of Urban Meyer,  Dabo Sweeney, ...Ed Orgeron?   be tempted to give the Pros a try, ala Spurrier et al? 

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @the-gipper said:

    Lou Holtz was a failure in the Pros.

    crap. I forgot Lou Holtz - he is also one of the great ones.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Lou Holtz was a failure in the Pros.

    crap. I forgot Lou Holtz - he is also one of the great ones.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @calfoxwc said:

    crap. I forgot Lou Holtz - he is also one of the great ones.

    Not in his pro coaching term. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    crap. I forgot Lou Holtz - he is also one of the great ones.

    Not in his pro coaching term. 

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @the-gipper said:

    Not in his pro coaching term. 

    of course - I meant college. He was one of the greatest college coaches.

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #30

    fuck lombardi it should be THE PAUL BROWN TROPHY 

  • Zombo said:

    So you are judging Belichick on his four years in Cleveland, where the team rapidly improved from a depleted roster to a playoff winner before the wheels came off with the move... His first year in New England with another depleted roster ... and the year he went 11-5  with Matt Cassell.

    And because of those six seasons, you dont want to acknowledge his coaching prowess because he had a HOF qb ... even though he won a Super Bowl when that Qb was just a game manager in his second year, then won two more super bowls, then 10 years later won three more Super Bowls, including one where Brady was on the bench ready to concede defeat when his defense intercepted the ball at the one yard line. 

    He has taken 9 different 53 man rosters, which he himself drafted, built and coached, to the Super Bowl, but since they all had the same QB, who he also drafted and coached, he's a lesser coach than Shula who won 2 out 6 championships, and never won one with Dan Marino, the best passer of his era?

    This is why I was afraid to ask. I knew you would have some biased, bullshit reason for ranking him where you did, and you would dig in and not give ground and just make it a frustrating endeavor to try and discuss it with you.

    Paul Brown and Otto Graham were both the best of their era. And Bill Belichick and Tom Brady were both the best if their era. They won championships together ... not in spite of each other.

    Z

    BB was/is a PR nightmare and when he cut Kosar, it riled up our fan base. 

    Yet, he managed to put together a solid defense and was well on his way to doing great things here until Art destroyed it. 

    He's won with defense, and he's won letting Brady throw 50+times. He's the master of salary cap football.

    While I wouldn't expect the Pats in the SB this season, I wouldn't count them out of the playoffs. 

    ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @bob806 said:

    BB was/is a PR nightmare and when he cut Kosar, it riled up our fan base. 

    Yet, he managed to put together a solid defense and was well on his way to doing great things here until Art destroyed it. 

    He's won with defense, and he's won letting Brady throw 50+times. He's the master of salary cap football.

    While I wouldn't expect the Pats in the SB this season, I wouldn't count them out of the playoffs. 

    as i have said I was at the 50 front row in Seattle the week after Bernie was let go and trust me I didnt shut up the entire game cussing at Bill (we got are ass's kicked) bill turned around a few time's disgusted with me 

    but you know I am not that kind of sports fan and was pissed at myself for acting that way and all ways wanted to apologize But damnit I was pissed 

  • BrownsfaninPaB BrownsfaninPa wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Here is how I look at the career's of NFL's winning coaches. If your going to base a coach on most games won per season, that includes all playoff and Super Bowls , then you have to include the coaches from the earliest years. There was no Super Bowls prior to 1967. So the highest level a team can earn is the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP. and back in those early years, they only played 12-14 games. So if you took George Halas, Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, and Bill Bellicheck's total career win's, only the top 4 coaches with most wins should be honored as a member on Mt. Rushmore. 

  • Here is how I look at the career's of NFL's winning coaches. If your going to base a coach on most games won per season, that includes all playoff and Super Bowls , then you have to include the coaches from the earliest years. There was no Super Bowls prior to 1967. So the highest level a team can earn is the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP. and back in those early years, they only played 12-14 games. So if you took George Halas, Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, and Bill Bellicheck's total career win's, only the top 4 coaches with most wins should be honored as a member on Mt. Rushmore. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @brownsfaninpa said:

    Here is how I look at the career's of NFL's winning coaches. If your going to base a coach on most games won per season, that includes all playoff and Super Bowls , then you have to include the coaches from the earliest years. There was no Super Bowls prior to 1967. So the highest level a team can earn is the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP. and back in those early years, they only played 12-14 games. So if you took George Halas, Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, and Bill Bellicheck's total career win's, only the top 4 coaches with most wins should be honored as a member on Mt. Rushmore. 

    Didn't you just sort of contradict yourself?    You conclude by saying that only  those with the most wins, including postseason, should be on Mt. Rushmore.......but then you preface it by acknowledging that in early years,  they only played  12-14 games per season.    Plus, recall that prior to 1966 (not 1967) ....there was only ever one single postseason game played...the NFL or AFL championship game.  So now, a team (coach)  can win as many as 3-4 playoff games in a single season....which obviously would ramp up the number of postseason wins current coaches make. 

    You seem to be touting just the "most total wins"  as the criteria.  What about "best winning pct."  Equally as viable, wouldn't you say?   That would put  Guy Chamberlain, John Madden and George Allen on the mountain (along with Lombardi).    But, of course, I think the analysis has to go beyond either of those statistics...though they are both heavy factors.