Skip to content

Keys to the Browns upcoming successful seasons - secret weapons

The Browns Board
75 19 1.9k 2
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #31

    another "secret weapon" is the offensive line depth. The Browns are paying serious attention to it.

    https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-sign-guard-jovahn-fair-add-interior-offensive-line-depth/

    The current Browns KNOW the offensive line woes of the past teams. The offensive line is the engine of the offense.

    You can have the most expensive wheels, steering wheel, mirrors transmission, etc, but if the engine falters, the whole car falters.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #32

    Another secret weapon, perhaps more secret than the others....

    is Harrison Bryant, TE, fourth round. He was a steal in the fourth round - in what

    I believe is the closest to brilliant full draft for the Browns in many years.

    I also believe that teams don't go to the superbowl without nailing their recent drafts.

    If Njoku doesn't have the work ethic to fix his dropsies problem, Bryant could end up

    seeing a lot of playing time down the road his first year.

    https://www.brownsnation.com/which-browns-late-round-rookie-has-the-best-chance-for-success-in-2020/

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #33

    Harrison Bryant played at a smaller college -- well, it doesn't matter. He was a GEM in the fourth round.

    Fourth round secret weapon - has soft hands, CATCHES the ball.

    HIghlights are fun to watch:

    Catches in traffic, is rough and tough, loves the game...we'll see.

  • Another secret weapon, perhaps more secret than the others....

    is Harrison Bryant, TE, fourth round. He was a steal in the fourth round - in what

    I believe is the closest to brilliant full draft for the Browns in many years.

    I also believe that teams don't go to the superbowl without nailing their recent drafts.

    If Njoku doesn't have the work ethic to fix his dropsies problem, Bryant could end up

    seeing a lot of playing time down the road his first year.

    https://www.brownsnation.com/which-browns-late-round-rookie-has-the-best-chance-for-success-in-2020/

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #34

    @calfoxwc said:

    Harrison Bryant, TE, fourth round. He was a steal in the fourth round

    ...I'm not ready to call a mid-draft player from a small school a weapon.  Hopefully he can be taught to be a decent blocker.  We need someone who does both well, catches and blocks.

    I wish for Bryant to be a weapon.  

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

  • Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @bob806 said:

    Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

    ...I thought the knock on him was his drops.  And an average route runner at best.  I think Mel Kiper said, 'He looks good in a uniform.'  🙂  He's not known as a blocker and we know Stef wants his receivers to block for that wide zone run.  I think it's gonna be rough for him this year.  He's gotta be taught to be a crisp route runner in order to get open in the nfl.  He's gotta learn to block.  Gotta learn an nfl playbook.  In this wacky COVID preseason with no games and few 'real' practices.  Whew!  It's a tough year to be a 'project' player!  -  He's got good size, I wish for him to become a weapon. 

  • @bob806 said:

    Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

    ...I thought the knock on him was his drops.  And an average route runner at best.  I think Mel Kiper said, 'He looks good in a uniform.'  🙂  He's not known as a blocker and we know Stef wants his receivers to block for that wide zone run.  I think it's gonna be rough for him this year.  He's gotta be taught to be a crisp route runner in order to get open in the nfl.  He's gotta learn to block.  Gotta learn an nfl playbook.  In this wacky COVID preseason with no games and few 'real' practices.  Whew!  It's a tough year to be a 'project' player!  -  He's got good size, I wish for him to become a weapon. 

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @orion said:

    ...I thought the knock on him was his drops.  And an average route runner at best.  I think Mel Kiper said, 'He looks good in a uniform.'  🙂  He's not known as a blocker and we know Stef wants his receivers to block for that wide zone run.  I think it's gonna be rough for him this year.  He's gotta be taught to be a crisp route runner in order to get open in the nfl.  He's gotta learn to block.  Gotta learn an nfl playbook.  In this wacky COVID preseason with no games and few 'real' practices.  Whew!  It's a tough year to be a 'project' player!  -  He's got good size, I wish for him to become a weapon. 

    yep, if he works hard... it might be tough to keep him on the roster to only be a return man. But, he could be terrific at that.

  • @orion said:

    ...I thought the knock on him was his drops.  And an average route runner at best.  I think Mel Kiper said, 'He looks good in a uniform.'  🙂  He's not known as a blocker and we know Stef wants his receivers to block for that wide zone run.  I think it's gonna be rough for him this year.  He's gotta be taught to be a crisp route runner in order to get open in the nfl.  He's gotta learn to block.  Gotta learn an nfl playbook.  In this wacky COVID preseason with no games and few 'real' practices.  Whew!  It's a tough year to be a 'project' player!  -  He's got good size, I wish for him to become a weapon. 

    yep, if he works hard... it might be tough to keep him on the roster to only be a return man. But, he could be terrific at that.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @calfoxwc said:

    yep, if he works hard... it might be tough to keep him on the roster to only be a return man. But, he could be terrific at that.

    He was drafted.  I think he gets this year.....unless he's total crap.

  • @bob806 said:

    Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

    ...I thought the knock on him was his drops.  And an average route runner at best.  I think Mel Kiper said, 'He looks good in a uniform.'  🙂  He's not known as a blocker and we know Stef wants his receivers to block for that wide zone run.  I think it's gonna be rough for him this year.  He's gotta be taught to be a crisp route runner in order to get open in the nfl.  He's gotta learn to block.  Gotta learn an nfl playbook.  In this wacky COVID preseason with no games and few 'real' practices.  Whew!  It's a tough year to be a 'project' player!  -  He's got good size, I wish for him to become a weapon. 

    U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @orion said:

    ...I thought the knock on him was his drops.  And an average route runner at best

    Not really -- hands and route-running itself are both great. He's not short-area-quick enough to separate from coverage and can't handle that coverage while he's not separated.

  • @bob806 said:

    Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

    ...I thought the knock on him was his drops.  And an average route runner at best.  I think Mel Kiper said, 'He looks good in a uniform.'  🙂  He's not known as a blocker and we know Stef wants his receivers to block for that wide zone run.  I think it's gonna be rough for him this year.  He's gotta be taught to be a crisp route runner in order to get open in the nfl.  He's gotta learn to block.  Gotta learn an nfl playbook.  In this wacky COVID preseason with no games and few 'real' practices.  Whew!  It's a tough year to be a 'project' player!  -  He's got good size, I wish for him to become a weapon. 

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @orion said:

    ...I thought the knock on him was his drops.  And an average route runner at best.  I think Mel Kiper said, 'He looks good in a uniform.'  🙂  He's not known as a blocker and we know Stef wants his receivers to block for that wide zone run.  I think it's gonna be rough for him this year.  He's gotta be taught to be a crisp route runner in order to get open in the nfl.  

    I think we may have a toss-up on the best Browns mid-round pick? Peoples or Bryant.. https://brownsnation.com/why-did-donovan-peoples-jones-drop-to-the-sixth-round/  Peoples has the best two tutors in Landry & OBJ to learn from his faults. But the physical tools can't be packed in his lunchbox.. Both should bring much needed vertical size to the redzone.. Peeps Jones jumped a 44.5" vertical from a stand still at the combine? .. Chuck it up & go get it! ?  

  • Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @bob806 said:

    Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

    Gip thinks Peeps is a better prospect than Chase Claypool. Too bad he won't actually bet on it. 

  • @bob806 said:

    Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

    Gip thinks Peeps is a better prospect than Chase Claypool. Too bad he won't actually bet on it. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @icecube said:

    Gip thinks Peeps is a better prospect than Chase Claypool. Too bad he won't actually bet on it. 

    I did not say that corncunthole.  I said DPJ's  production in college is ever so incrementally less than Claypool's had been,  (plus the fact that Claypool played 4 years opposed to 3 for Peeps so that makes the comparison even more difficult).  I also said that Claypool goddam good and well better be considered a better prospect than Peeps because he was drafted only like  140 places above DPJ.  

    So,  OK, sure.   For a hot fudge sundae, I will say that 5 years from now Peeps will turn out to have just as productive career as Claypool. 

    Call me in 5 years. 

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #43

    interesting - yesterday's update ...Harrison Bryant is turning heads at camp, and Peoples-Jones is making a

    case for himself here and there.

    https://www.brownsnation.com/te-harrison-bryant-is-turning-heads-at-browns-training-camp/

  • @icecube said:

    Gip thinks Peeps is a better prospect than Chase Claypool. Too bad he won't actually bet on it. 

    I did not say that corncunthole.  I said DPJ's  production in college is ever so incrementally less than Claypool's had been,  (plus the fact that Claypool played 4 years opposed to 3 for Peeps so that makes the comparison even more difficult).  I also said that Claypool goddam good and well better be considered a better prospect than Peeps because he was drafted only like  140 places above DPJ.  

    So,  OK, sure.   For a hot fudge sundae, I will say that 5 years from now Peeps will turn out to have just as productive career as Claypool. 

    Call me in 5 years. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @the-gipper said:

    I did not say that corncunthole.  I said DPJ's  production in college is ever so incrementally less than Claypool's had been,  (plus the fact that Claypool played 4 years opposed to 3 for Peeps so that makes the comparison even more difficult).  I also said that Claypool goddam good and well better be considered a better prospect than Peeps because he was drafted only like  140 places above DPJ.  

    So,  OK, sure.   For a hot fudge sundae, I will say that 5 years from now Peeps will turn out to have just as productive career as Claypool. 

    Call me in 5 years. 

    Were you going to take me up on this bet?

    Hd Waiting GIF by moodman - Find & Share on GIPHY

  • interesting - yesterday's update ...Harrison Bryant is turning heads at camp, and Peoples-Jones is making a

    case for himself here and there.

    https://www.brownsnation.com/te-harrison-bryant-is-turning-heads-at-browns-training-camp/

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @calfoxwc said:

    interesting - yesterday's update ...Harrison Bryant is turning heads at camp, and Peoples-Jones is making a

    case for himself here and there.

    https://www.brownsnation.com/te-harrison-bryant-is-turning-heads-at-browns-training-camp/

    We need some good news because there really hasn't been much. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the teams who aren't implementing new systems are going to absolutely dominate IMO. This year was significantly shortened and the preseason plain doesn't exist. Guess who we play first? We play the team with the most galvanized identity in the league...the Ravens. They know exactly what they want to do, how to do it, and they won't be trying to learn new things. 

    Conversely, every single day I read about our beloved Browns it's more bad news about the offense. Yesterday they could hardly complete a pass with the top 6 DBs out or injured! I realize the defense is always ahead of the offense, but it's getting a little more urgent. To be fair, we haven't had that many practices, we lost a padded practice with the recent covid scare, and we still have 3 weeks before Baltimore. But guess what? The Ravens don't care about being fair. They won't feel bad about us not having a typical offseason to install our new shit. 

    We're going to lean on the running game early, and that's totally fine with me. But to do that, we can't be down 20 points. We need some good offensive news next week or it's gonna get messy. I REALLY don't like reading about Baker sailing throws high still...that can't happen again. And Jesus, please no more injuries, ok? 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    interesting - yesterday's update ...Harrison Bryant is turning heads at camp, and Peoples-Jones is making a

    case for himself here and there.

    https://www.brownsnation.com/te-harrison-bryant-is-turning-heads-at-browns-training-camp/

    We need some good news because there really hasn't been much. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the teams who aren't implementing new systems are going to absolutely dominate IMO. This year was significantly shortened and the preseason plain doesn't exist. Guess who we play first? We play the team with the most galvanized identity in the league...the Ravens. They know exactly what they want to do, how to do it, and they won't be trying to learn new things. 

    Conversely, every single day I read about our beloved Browns it's more bad news about the offense. Yesterday they could hardly complete a pass with the top 6 DBs out or injured! I realize the defense is always ahead of the offense, but it's getting a little more urgent. To be fair, we haven't had that many practices, we lost a padded practice with the recent covid scare, and we still have 3 weeks before Baltimore. But guess what? The Ravens don't care about being fair. They won't feel bad about us not having a typical offseason to install our new shit. 

    We're going to lean on the running game early, and that's totally fine with me. But to do that, we can't be down 20 points. We need some good offensive news next week or it's gonna get messy. I REALLY don't like reading about Baker sailing throws high still...that can't happen again. And Jesus, please no more injuries, ok? 

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @jiggins7919 said:

    We need some good news because there really hasn't been much. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the teams who aren't implementing new systems are going to absolutely dominate IMO. This year was significantly shortened and the preseason plain doesn't exist. Guess who we play first? We play the team with the most galvanized identity in the league...the Ravens. They know exactly what they want to do, how to do it, and they won't be trying to learn new things. 

    Conversely, every single day I read about our beloved Browns it's more bad news about the offense. Yesterday they could hardly complete a pass with the top 6 DBs out or injured! I realize the defense is always ahead of the offense, but it's getting a little more urgent. To be fair, we haven't had that many practices, we lost a padded practice with the recent covid scare, and we still have 3 weeks before Baltimore. But guess what? The Ravens don't care about being fair. They won't feel bad about us not having a typical offseason to install our new shit. 

    We're going to lean on the running game early, and that's totally fine with me. But to do that, we can't be down 20 points. We need some good offensive news next week or it's gonna get messy. I REALLY don't like reading about Baker sailing throws high still...that can't happen again. And Jesus, please no more injuries, ok? 

    I didn't know it til just now- but I posted that Greedy is hurt now, might? miss time.... I'll delete it if it's already been said...

    A lot of us? would have felt the Browns would have a great chance at winning the division...but with the significant injuries..

    I have to wonder now. But if any HC can adjust and still win - it will be Stefanski I think.

    "secret weapons" will play a far bigger role in the Browns - given the injuries.

    Stefanski is just an inspiring guy - a good press conference - (Chubb is back, etc)

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/kevin-stefanski-jedrick-wills-jr-is-progressing-every-day

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    We need some good news because there really hasn't been much. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the teams who aren't implementing new systems are going to absolutely dominate IMO. This year was significantly shortened and the preseason plain doesn't exist. Guess who we play first? We play the team with the most galvanized identity in the league...the Ravens. They know exactly what they want to do, how to do it, and they won't be trying to learn new things. 

    Conversely, every single day I read about our beloved Browns it's more bad news about the offense. Yesterday they could hardly complete a pass with the top 6 DBs out or injured! I realize the defense is always ahead of the offense, but it's getting a little more urgent. To be fair, we haven't had that many practices, we lost a padded practice with the recent covid scare, and we still have 3 weeks before Baltimore. But guess what? The Ravens don't care about being fair. They won't feel bad about us not having a typical offseason to install our new shit. 

    We're going to lean on the running game early, and that's totally fine with me. But to do that, we can't be down 20 points. We need some good offensive news next week or it's gonna get messy. I REALLY don't like reading about Baker sailing throws high still...that can't happen again. And Jesus, please no more injuries, ok? 

    I didn't know it til just now- but I posted that Greedy is hurt now, might? miss time.... I'll delete it if it's already been said...

    A lot of us? would have felt the Browns would have a great chance at winning the division...but with the significant injuries..

    I have to wonder now. But if any HC can adjust and still win - it will be Stefanski I think.

    "secret weapons" will play a far bigger role in the Browns - given the injuries.

    Stefanski is just an inspiring guy - a good press conference - (Chubb is back, etc)

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/kevin-stefanski-jedrick-wills-jr-is-progressing-every-day

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @calfoxwc said:

    I didn't know it til just now- but I posted that Greedy is hurt now, might? miss time.... I'll delete it if it's already been said..

    Greedy is definitely missing a good amount of time, we just don't know HOW much. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I didn't know it til just now- but I posted that Greedy is hurt now, might? miss time.... I'll delete it if it's already been said..

    Greedy is definitely missing a good amount of time, we just don't know HOW much. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Greedy is definitely missing a good amount of time, we just don't know HOW much. 

    What’s his problem?

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #49

    The keys to success are... Stay off the IR 😛

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Greedy is definitely missing a good amount of time, we just don't know HOW much. 

    What’s his problem?

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @the-gipper said:

    What’s his problem?

    Shoulder injury. Nobody is saying exactly what it is, but it's not good.