2021 'Who are you watching?' NFL prospect thread.
-
So I'm working on another 10min cut-up of Alim McNeil vs Va Tech and I really can't stop gushing. Despite the fact the majority of this kids snaps from come from a classic heads-up nose, he still manages to consistently make plays well outside of the realm of his responsibility.
I don't care what website or publication has them in rankings - Christian Barmore does have the higher ceiling. But the better football player as of today is Alim McNeil, IMHO.
-
So I'm working on another 10min cut-up of Alim McNeil vs Va Tech and I really can't stop gushing. Despite the fact the majority of this kids snaps from come from a classic heads-up nose, he still manages to consistently make plays well outside of the realm of his responsibility.
I don't care what website or publication has them in rankings - Christian Barmore does have the higher ceiling. But the better football player as of today is Alim McNeil, IMHO.
So I'm working on another 10min cut-up of Alim McNeil vs Va Tech and I really can't stop gushing. Despite the fact the majority of this kids snaps from come from a classic heads-up nose, he still manages to consistently make plays well outside of the realm of his responsibility.
I don't care what website or publication has them in rankings - Christian Barmore does have the higher ceiling. But the better football player as of today is Alim McNeil, IMHO.
I still take Barmore for the long term. He is a powerful guy who can learn from Jackson on a daily basis how it's done.
-
So I'm working on another 10min cut-up of Alim McNeil vs Va Tech and I really can't stop gushing. Despite the fact the majority of this kids snaps from come from a classic heads-up nose, he still manages to consistently make plays well outside of the realm of his responsibility.
I don't care what website or publication has them in rankings - Christian Barmore does have the higher ceiling. But the better football player as of today is Alim McNeil, IMHO.
I still take Barmore for the long term. He is a powerful guy who can learn from Jackson on a daily basis how it's done.
I still take Barmore for the long term. He is a powerful guy who can learn from Jackson on a daily basis how it's done.
Way too much 2/3/4 round talent at IDL to take Barmore.
-
Mike Strachan, WR, Charleston. Grade: 6th Round
Height: 6’4”. Weight: 225 lbs.
track athlete, school 400 meter record holder...
very raw, Div II.
5th/6th round ?
-
I still take Barmore for the long term. He is a powerful guy who can learn from Jackson on a daily basis how it's done.
Way too much 2/3/4 round talent at IDL to take Barmore.
Way too much 2/3/4 round talent at IDL to take Barmore.
So we have the makings of a Bama IDL passover a la Bama RB passover of Derrick Henry? So Brownsian!??
-
Way too much 2/3/4 round talent at IDL to take Barmore.
So we have the makings of a Bama IDL passover a la Bama RB passover of Derrick Henry? So Brownsian!??
So we have the makings of a Bama IDL passover a la Bama RB passover of Derrick Henry? So Brownsian!??
Henry was passed over by 1 RB - Zeke. That's it. You make it sound like he's Terrell Davis.
-
Unless I missed it, I'm still anxiously awaiting to hear some IOL value picks from @tour2ma
-
So we have the makings of a Bama IDL passover a la Bama RB passover of Derrick Henry? So Brownsian!??
Henry was passed over by 1 RB - Zeke. That's it. You make it sound like he's Terrell Davis.
Henry was passed over by 1 RB - Zeke. That's it. You make it sound like he's Terrell Davis.
Browns passed him over for Coleman (now out of the league) and Ogbah. Great choices there. That is the kind of Passover the Browns have specialized in until Garrett & Baker. We even took a chance that Chubb might get lifted before us when we took Corbett two picks prior. Head scratcher. I was yelling at the TV, "Take Chubb dummies, take Chubb!" And then we take an unknown OL from the Mountain West instead of a high quality SEC RB. I went ballistic until they got him at #35.
And the comparison for Henry is closer to 14th overall pick in 1995 Eddie George if you want a RB listed that is a similar type back.
However if Henry had been a Brown he actually might have saved Huey from his goofball short yardage calls inside the 5, so at least there is that compensation.?
-
Henry was passed over by 1 RB - Zeke. That's it. You make it sound like he's Terrell Davis.
Browns passed him over for Coleman (now out of the league) and Ogbah. Great choices there. That is the kind of Passover the Browns have specialized in until Garrett & Baker. We even took a chance that Chubb might get lifted before us when we took Corbett two picks prior. Head scratcher. I was yelling at the TV, "Take Chubb dummies, take Chubb!" And then we take an unknown OL from the Mountain West instead of a high quality SEC RB. I went ballistic until they got him at #35.
And the comparison for Henry is closer to 14th overall pick in 1995 Eddie George if you want a RB listed that is a similar type back.
However if Henry had been a Brown he actually might have saved Huey from his goofball short yardage calls inside the 5, so at least there is that compensation.?
Browns passed him over for Coleman (now out of the league) and Ogbah. Great choices there. That is the kind of Passover the Browns have specialized in until Garrett & Baker. We even took a chance that Chubb might get lifted before us when we took Corbett two picks prior. Head scratcher. I was yelling at the TV, "Take Chubb dummies, take Chubb!" And then we take an unknown OL from the Mountain West instead of a high quality SEC RB. I went ballistic until they got him at #35.
And the comparison for Henry is closer to 14th overall pick in 1995 Eddie George if you want a RB listed that is a similar type back.
However if Henry had been a Brown he actually might have saved Huey from his goofball short yardage calls inside the 5, so at least there is that compensation.?
I suspect that Henry wasn’t the only decent player that we passed over when we took Coleman and Ogbah that year. So no real need to focus in on him particularly. We ended up getting someone just as good. But certainly those were not good draft picks. Which has been the bane of this franchise ever since at least 1999 if not before. Maybe since 1978.
-
Henry was passed over by 1 RB - Zeke. That's it. You make it sound like he's Terrell Davis.
Browns passed him over for Coleman (now out of the league) and Ogbah. Great choices there. That is the kind of Passover the Browns have specialized in until Garrett & Baker. We even took a chance that Chubb might get lifted before us when we took Corbett two picks prior. Head scratcher. I was yelling at the TV, "Take Chubb dummies, take Chubb!" And then we take an unknown OL from the Mountain West instead of a high quality SEC RB. I went ballistic until they got him at #35.
And the comparison for Henry is closer to 14th overall pick in 1995 Eddie George if you want a RB listed that is a similar type back.
However if Henry had been a Brown he actually might have saved Huey from his goofball short yardage calls inside the 5, so at least there is that compensation.?
Browns passed him over for Coleman (now out of the league) and Ogbah. Great choices there. That is the kind of Passover the Browns have specialized in until Garrett & Baker. We even took a chance that Chubb might get lifted before us when we took Corbett two picks prior. Head scratcher. I was yelling at the TV, "Take Chubb dummies, take Chubb!" And then we take an unknown OL from the Mountain West instead of a high quality SEC RB. I went ballistic until they got him at #35.
And the comparison for Henry is closer to 14th overall pick in 1995 Eddie George if you want a RB listed that is a similar type back.
However if Henry had been a Brown he actually might have saved Huey from his goofball short yardage calls inside the 5, so at least there is that compensation.?
So the Browns passed over a franchise RB, for what they felt at the time, was a franchise WR.
Sorry, but I make that move 10 of 10 times. And since Henry was a 2nd round pick, a more apt comparison in this case would be - who would you take... Michael Thomas or Derrick Henry?
The answer to that one is pretty easy.
-
Question: Might the Browns be looking for a decent punt and Kickoff return man this year in the draft. I think it is fair to say that we have not really had a decent one of those since Travis Benjamin was here....so, quite a number of years. Or, is there anyone on this team that anyone think could be really good at handling those jobs. (I am not seeing it).
I know it is a "minor" position, but it could become a major asset if we really had one. After all, think about what having a Josh Cribbs and an Eric Metcalf meant for us.
Who is Kent State's QB? They seem to end up being really good at other positions.
-
Browns 2020 Kick and Punt return stats. Not impressive IMO.
Kick & Punt Returns
Games Punt Returns Kick Returns No. Player Age Pos G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd Team Total 25.6 16 24 115 0 13 4.8 36 795 0 43 22.1 7160 Opp Total 16 25 229 0 9.2 38 998 1 26.3 11 Donovan Peoples-Jones 21 12 2 18 77 0 13 4.3 18 379 0 33 21.1 760 30 D'Ernest Johnson 24 16 0 3 13 0 10 4.3 14 351 0 43 25.1 544 19 Jojo Natson 26 3 0 3 25 0 13 8.3 1 31 0 31 31.0 59 25 Dontrell Hilliard 25 5 0 2 21 0 13 10.5 71 31 Andy Janovich 27 14 3 1 13 0 13 13.0 30 I mean, is Natson coming back supposed to vastly improve us in this department?
-
Browns 2020 Kick and Punt return stats. Not impressive IMO.
Kick & Punt Returns
Games Punt Returns Kick Returns No. Player Age Pos G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd Team Total 25.6 16 24 115 0 13 4.8 36 795 0 43 22.1 7160 Opp Total 16 25 229 0 9.2 38 998 1 26.3 11 Donovan Peoples-Jones 21 12 2 18 77 0 13 4.3 18 379 0 33 21.1 760 30 D'Ernest Johnson 24 16 0 3 13 0 10 4.3 14 351 0 43 25.1 544 19 Jojo Natson 26 3 0 3 25 0 13 8.3 1 31 0 31 31.0 59 25 Dontrell Hilliard 25 5 0 2 21 0 13 10.5 71 31 Andy Janovich 27 14 3 1 13 0 13 13.0 30 I mean, is Natson coming back supposed to vastly improve us in this department?
Browns 2020 Kick and Punt return stats. Not impressive IMO.
Kick & Punt Returns
Games Punt Returns Kick Returns No. Player Age Pos G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd Team Total 25.6 16 24 115 0 13 4.8 36 795 0 43 22.1 7160 Opp Total 16 25 229 0 9.2 38 998 1 26.3 11 Donovan Peoples-Jones 21 12 2 18 77 0 13 4.3 18 379 0 33 21.1 760 30 D'Ernest Johnson 24 16 0 3 13 0 10 4.3 14 351 0 43 25.1 544 19 Jojo Natson 26 3 0 3 25 0 13 8.3 1 31 0 31 31.0 59 25 Dontrell Hilliard 25 5 0 2 21 0 13 10.5 71 31 Andy Janovich 27 14 3 1 13 0 13 13.0 30 I mean, is Natson coming back supposed to vastly improve us in this department?
Kickoff return is nearly an obsolete skill set with the way touchbacks happen nowadays.
I was happy with the way DPJ secured punts. 1st job is always secure (catch it) and hang onto it most importantly we keep the ball but also we don’t give up field position
-
Browns 2020 Kick and Punt return stats. Not impressive IMO.
Kick & Punt Returns
Games Punt Returns Kick Returns No. Player Age Pos G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd Team Total 25.6 16 24 115 0 13 4.8 36 795 0 43 22.1 7160 Opp Total 16 25 229 0 9.2 38 998 1 26.3 11 Donovan Peoples-Jones 21 12 2 18 77 0 13 4.3 18 379 0 33 21.1 760 30 D'Ernest Johnson 24 16 0 3 13 0 10 4.3 14 351 0 43 25.1 544 19 Jojo Natson 26 3 0 3 25 0 13 8.3 1 31 0 31 31.0 59 25 Dontrell Hilliard 25 5 0 2 21 0 13 10.5 71 31 Andy Janovich 27 14 3 1 13 0 13 13.0 30 I mean, is Natson coming back supposed to vastly improve us in this department?
Kickoff return is nearly an obsolete skill set with the way touchbacks happen nowadays.
I was happy with the way DPJ secured punts. 1st job is always secure (catch it) and hang onto it most importantly we keep the ball but also we don’t give up field position
Kickoff return is nearly an obsolete skill set with the way touchbacks happen nowadays.
I was happy with the way DPJ secured punts. 1st job is always secure (catch it) and hang onto it most importantly we keep the ball but also we don’t give up field position
Yes, true. The league hates what was one of the most exciting plays in football. But in my opinion, their concerns over safety associated with kickoffs is way overblown.
And, sure. Catching the punt is better than muffing it....but I am talking about getting someone who is a threat to take the ball back all the way....after he secures it.
-
Kickoff return is nearly an obsolete skill set with the way touchbacks happen nowadays.
I was happy with the way DPJ secured punts. 1st job is always secure (catch it) and hang onto it most importantly we keep the ball but also we don’t give up field position
Yes, true. The league hates what was one of the most exciting plays in football. But in my opinion, their concerns over safety associated with kickoffs is way overblown.
And, sure. Catching the punt is better than muffing it....but I am talking about getting someone who is a threat to take the ball back all the way....after he secures it.
Yes, true. The league hates what was one of the most exciting plays in football. But in my opinion, their concerns over safety associated with kickoffs is way overblown.
And, sure. Catching the punt is better than muffing it....but I am talking about getting someone who is a threat to take the ball back all the way....after he secures it.
Believe it is Luxury at this point. Browns 5,10,15, 20 years ago it was more of necessity as a source of offense because we didn’t have the luxury of an actual pass/run score points offense.
Times are changing
-
Punt return > kick return
-
Unless I missed it, I'm still anxiously awaiting to hear some IOL value picks from @tour2ma
Unless I missed it, I'm still anxiously awaiting to hear some IOL value picks from @tour2ma
lol... didn't do a lot of work on OL since we're pretty well set, but...
Vast majority of the late round IOLs are not ZBS fits, but there are a couple exceptions...
- Pitt kid... Morrissey... looks like best fit in 2nd half of Day 3, but he's basically a 2021 version of Nick Harris.
- Middle Tennessee's Robert Jones could be worth a 6th round flyer... played OT, and dominated lesser competition, he moves reasonably well, but is definitely moving inside. Hard to know when he will go in Day 3 tho. 5th round is not out of the question.
- Want to spend more? Stanford's Drew Dallman likely costs you a 4th. Good technician, but needs to hit the weight room.... hard.
OTs (since you didn't ask
)?
If we trade down, then I think tu's Cosmi has to be considered late-1st/early 2nd. Instant backup everywhere except Center and brings cheap, cap-pinch value to our right side. That said... I doubt we go there, so in the economy class...
- tsun's Jalen Mayfield... OK not exactly ECON, but closer. Again he brings 4-position versatility and great value. Might be there late 2nd.
- Cheaper? Western Michigan's Jaylon Moore. Really fluid mover, and compact enough to handle OG with some work. Small school discount should land him in the 6th.
- Even cheaper? Iowa's Alaric Jackson... looked at him last year when it was believed he'd declare. For some reason he's fallen this year (maybe age?). Should be there very late... possible UDFA. Likely only an OT.
-
Unless I missed it, I'm still anxiously awaiting to hear some IOL value picks from @tour2ma
lol... didn't do a lot of work on OL since we're pretty well set, but...
Vast majority of the late round IOLs are not ZBS fits, but there are a couple exceptions...
- Pitt kid... Morrissey... looks like best fit in 2nd half of Day 3, but he's basically a 2021 version of Nick Harris.
- Middle Tennessee's Robert Jones could be worth a 6th round flyer... played OT, and dominated lesser competition, he moves reasonably well, but is definitely moving inside. Hard to know when he will go in Day 3 tho. 5th round is not out of the question.
- Want to spend more? Stanford's Drew Dallman likely costs you a 4th. Good technician, but needs to hit the weight room.... hard.
OTs (since you didn't ask
)?
If we trade down, then I think tu's Cosmi has to be considered late-1st/early 2nd. Instant backup everywhere except Center and brings cheap, cap-pinch value to our right side. That said... I doubt we go there, so in the economy class...
- tsun's Jalen Mayfield... OK not exactly ECON, but closer. Again he brings 4-position versatility and great value. Might be there late 2nd.
- Cheaper? Western Michigan's Jaylon Moore. Really fluid mover, and compact enough to handle OG with some work. Small school discount should land him in the 6th.
- Even cheaper? Iowa's Alaric Jackson... looked at him last year when it was believed he'd declare. For some reason he's fallen this year (maybe age?). Should be there very late... possible UDFA. Likely only an OT.
lol... didn't do a lot of work on OL since we're pretty well set
Not after 2021 we're not.. no re-signing of Teller and cutting Tretter/starting Harris to save 2+8 salary. Sure, they could go another direction but.. late-round IOL is a lot more probable to become a productive/excellent starter than late-round WR. So we need both a future RG starter and quality backups at both spots.
-
lol... didn't do a lot of work on OL since we're pretty well set
Not after 2021 we're not.. no re-signing of Teller and cutting Tretter/starting Harris to save 2+8 salary. Sure, they could go another direction but.. late-round IOL is a lot more probable to become a productive/excellent starter than late-round WR. So we need both a future RG starter and quality backups at both spots.
Not after 2021 we're not.. no re-signing of Teller and cutting Tretter/starting Harris to save 2+8 salary. Sure, they could go another direction but.. late-round IOL is a lot more probable to become a productive/excellent starter than late-round WR. So we need both a future RG starter and quality backups at both spots.
Well... it's not as if I did not give any names.
-
Unless I missed it, I'm still anxiously awaiting to hear some IOL value picks from @tour2ma
lol... didn't do a lot of work on OL since we're pretty well set, but...
Vast majority of the late round IOLs are not ZBS fits, but there are a couple exceptions...
- Pitt kid... Morrissey... looks like best fit in 2nd half of Day 3, but he's basically a 2021 version of Nick Harris.
- Middle Tennessee's Robert Jones could be worth a 6th round flyer... played OT, and dominated lesser competition, he moves reasonably well, but is definitely moving inside. Hard to know when he will go in Day 3 tho. 5th round is not out of the question.
- Want to spend more? Stanford's Drew Dallman likely costs you a 4th. Good technician, but needs to hit the weight room.... hard.
OTs (since you didn't ask
)?
If we trade down, then I think tu's Cosmi has to be considered late-1st/early 2nd. Instant backup everywhere except Center and brings cheap, cap-pinch value to our right side. That said... I doubt we go there, so in the economy class...
- tsun's Jalen Mayfield... OK not exactly ECON, but closer. Again he brings 4-position versatility and great value. Might be there late 2nd.
- Cheaper? Western Michigan's Jaylon Moore. Really fluid mover, and compact enough to handle OG with some work. Small school discount should land him in the 6th.
- Even cheaper? Iowa's Alaric Jackson... looked at him last year when it was believed he'd declare. For some reason he's fallen this year (maybe age?). Should be there very late... possible UDFA. Likely only an OT.
lol... didn't do a lot of work on OL since we're pretty well set, but...
Vast majority of the late round IOLs are not ZBS fits, but there are a couple exceptions...
- Pitt kid... Morrissey... looks like best fit in 2nd half of Day 3, but he's basically a 2021 version of Nick Harris.
- Middle Tennessee's Robert Jones could be worth a 6th round flyer... played OT, and dominated lesser competition, he moves reasonably well, but is definitely moving inside. Hard to know when he will go in Day 3 tho. 5th round is not out of the question.
- Want to spend more? Stanford's Drew Dallman likely costs you a 4th. Good technician, but needs to hit the weight room.... hard.
OTs (since you didn't ask
)?
If we trade down, then I think tu's Cosmi has to be considered late-1st/early 2nd. Instant backup everywhere except Center and brings cheap, cap-pinch value to our right side. That said... I doubt we go there, so in the economy class...
- tsun's Jalen Mayfield... OK not exactly ECON, but closer. Again he brings 4-position versatility and great value. Might be there late 2nd.
- Cheaper? Western Michigan's Jaylon Moore. Really fluid mover, and compact enough to handle OG with some work. Small school discount should land him in the 6th.
- Even cheaper? Iowa's Alaric Jackson... looked at him last year when it was believed he'd declare. For some reason he's fallen this year (maybe age?). Should be there very late... possible UDFA. Likely only an OT.
The Mayfield and Jackson names standout, being that they're players I've seen.
Appreciate the Intel buddy. Your Oline work is unmatched.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login