Skip to content

Offensive Line

The Browns Board
61 13 1.2k
  • Hubbard was set to make base salaries of $6.15 million in 2020, $6.65 million in 2021 and $7.15 in 2022. Instead, he’s now under contract for two years with a base salary of $2.5 million in 2020, including a $1 million signing bonus, and $1 million guaranteed in 2020.

  • harris looked better than hubbard  last sunday the only reason hubbard is still on the team is he took a pay cut  look for him to be gone next year

    @atom said:

    the only reason hubbard is still on the team is he took a pay cut 

    I agree...but will add that they saw value in him because he can play so many OL positions.  He's also a good guy.  (I know, that and a quarter gets you a phone call)

    Next year is next year.  We might still need him.  And as you pointed out, he's not costing much.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Any former offensive lineman on this board?

    Guilty... former OG here.

    Last play of the last hard practice before the last gamse Sr. year of HS I was pulling right when I heard "FUMBLE". I stopped and barely had time to look down and see the ball between my feet before a DT  dove for it and took out my right ankle.

    Not of the high-ankle variety as far as I know, but still messed it up for weeks.

    It's no fun doing Sr. tackle on crutches...

    @tour2ma said:

    "FUMBLE". I stopped and barely had time to look down and see the ball between my feet before a DT  dove for it and took out my right ankle.

    Me, it was on the basketball floor.  Literally, I was down, flat on the floor and another player dove at my legs.  Ankle got it.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Guilty... former OG here.

    Last play of the last hard practice before the last gamse Sr. year of HS I was pulling right when I heard "FUMBLE". I stopped and barely had time to look down and see the ball between my feet before a DT  dove for it and took out my right ankle.

    Not of the high-ankle variety as far as I know, but still messed it up for weeks.

    It's no fun doing Sr. tackle on crutches...

    Did you know Grant Overbaugh?

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Did you know Grant Overbaugh?

    Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Teller is unofficially out from what I heard, and I wouldn't expect any miracles. It's such a bummer because Teller is literally the straw that stirs the drink. We knew we wouldn't be able to run last game, but we can't expect to pass our way through every game, either. Nick filled in admirably for Hubbs, but he wasn't honestly THAT good, especially in run blocking. I fear we're in for another passing extravaganza. 

    from what i saw he played well filling in and we should be fine running his way 

    side note : how often has he played with the starting line up ? and you are giving him a bad grade for rush blocking ?

    @atom said:

    from what i saw he played well filling in and we should be fine running his way 

    side note : how often has he played with the starting line up ? and you are giving him a bad grade for rush blocking ?

    Bad grade might be a bit harsh. I'm just going by the PFF grades, as well as what I saw. Harris gave up the one sack and wasn't sure of where to go on a couple run blocks. But honestly, for his first action and being a rookie it was pretty damn decent. My main point is that he's not Wyatt Teller. Hardly anyone in the dang LEAGUE can run block as well as Teller so there's going to be a drop-off with anyone else, but especially with a rookie playing out of position. 

  • @atom said:

    from what i saw he played well filling in and we should be fine running his way 

    side note : how often has he played with the starting line up ? and you are giving him a bad grade for rush blocking ?

    Bad grade might be a bit harsh. I'm just going by the PFF grades, as well as what I saw. Harris gave up the one sack and wasn't sure of where to go on a couple run blocks. But honestly, for his first action and being a rookie it was pretty damn decent. My main point is that he's not Wyatt Teller. Hardly anyone in the dang LEAGUE can run block as well as Teller so there's going to be a drop-off with anyone else, but especially with a rookie playing out of position. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Harris gave up the one sack and wasn't sure of where to go on a couple run blocks

    No problem.  He'll just get coached up while on the job, during the 3 game playoff push, of this whacky 2020 football season.   Piece-a-cake.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Did you know Grant Overbaugh?

    Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.

    @tour2ma said:

    Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.

    I played baseball against Stan White:

    White was born in Dover, Ohio and grew up in Kent, Ohio. White attended Theodore Roosevelt High School. He was the only player in the history of Ohio High School sports to play in the state all-star games for football, basketball, and baseball. He was 1st team All State twice in football, All State in Basketball as a senior averaging 25 points a game, and All State in baseball playing catcher as a senior hitting 0.467 (He pitched a championship game and won 1-0 with 17 strikeouts). Against Ravenna his senior year he scored every way possible: He scored a touchdown and a two point conversion, kicked a field goal and an extra point, and tackled the quarterback in the end zone for a safety. His senior year ten Roosevelt players played both offense and defense, and six of those ended up playing in the NFL. White graduated in 1968.

    Since 2006, White has worked as a color analyst for the Baltimore Ravens' radio broadcasts, teaming with Gerry Sandusky, who does the play-by-play, and former Ravens player Qadry Ismail. He also contributes to other programming on Baltimore station WBAL-AM. He previously worked for ESPN, NBC Radio NFL games, and Home Team Sports.

    White is a lawyer, graduating magna cum laude from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 1978.[3] He went at night during the season and full-time in the off season, completing his degree in four years. His first job was with Ron Shapiro, noted sports lawyer. His classmates included sports agents Tom Condon and Tony Agnone.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.

    I played baseball against Stan White:

    White was born in Dover, Ohio and grew up in Kent, Ohio. White attended Theodore Roosevelt High School. He was the only player in the history of Ohio High School sports to play in the state all-star games for football, basketball, and baseball. He was 1st team All State twice in football, All State in Basketball as a senior averaging 25 points a game, and All State in baseball playing catcher as a senior hitting 0.467 (He pitched a championship game and won 1-0 with 17 strikeouts). Against Ravenna his senior year he scored every way possible: He scored a touchdown and a two point conversion, kicked a field goal and an extra point, and tackled the quarterback in the end zone for a safety. His senior year ten Roosevelt players played both offense and defense, and six of those ended up playing in the NFL. White graduated in 1968.

    Since 2006, White has worked as a color analyst for the Baltimore Ravens' radio broadcasts, teaming with Gerry Sandusky, who does the play-by-play, and former Ravens player Qadry Ismail. He also contributes to other programming on Baltimore station WBAL-AM. He previously worked for ESPN, NBC Radio NFL games, and Home Team Sports.

    White is a lawyer, graduating magna cum laude from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 1978.[3] He went at night during the season and full-time in the off season, completing his degree in four years. His first job was with Ron Shapiro, noted sports lawyer. His classmates included sports agents Tom Condon and Tony Agnone.

    @the-gipper said:

    I played baseball against Stan White:

     Against Ravenna his senior year he scored every way possible: He scored a touchdown and a two point conversion, kicked a field goal and an extra point, and tackled the quarterback in the end zone for a safety. His senior year ten Roosevelt players played both offense and defense, and six of those ended up playing in the NFL. White graduated in 1968.

    You should have beaned him before he did Ravenna dirty like that.... ?

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Harris gave up the one sack and wasn't sure of where to go on a couple run blocks

    No problem.  He'll just get coached up while on the job, during the 3 game playoff push, of this whacky 2020 football season.   Piece-a-cake.

    @orion said:

    No problem.  He'll just get coached up while on the job, during the 3 game playoff push, of this whacky 2020 football season.   Piece-a-cake.

    I totally agree. The fact that he was ready at all speaks volumes. Harris was receiving a lot of solid praise during camp before Tretter came back from surgery. This experience could really serve him well. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    I played baseball against Stan White:

     Against Ravenna his senior year he scored every way possible: He scored a touchdown and a two point conversion, kicked a field goal and an extra point, and tackled the quarterback in the end zone for a safety. His senior year ten Roosevelt players played both offense and defense, and six of those ended up playing in the NFL. White graduated in 1968.

    You should have beaned him before he did Ravenna dirty like that.... ?

    @dutch-oven said:

    You should have beaned him before he did Ravenna dirty like that.... ?

    Did Ravenna dirty?   You probably deserved it. 

    Don't feel bad.  Note that he has been doing "Ravens"  radio games for like 15 years now.   So, what goes around comes around. 

  • and six of those ended up playing in the NFL

    Six guys from the same Kent Roosevelt  HS team ended up playing in the NFL.    I don't know if that is a record or what, but that is a hell of a lot. 

  • Here is an interesting article.  Recent, just written in November:    The 40 high schools that have produced the most NFL players.  The leader is one of those "academies"  in Virginia.

    https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/high-schools-that-produce-most-nfl-players-8f58a46f3f1a4c1a

     A lot of schools from Texas,  California and Florida

    4 schools from Ohio:

    Warren G. Harding  21 players

    Massillon 23 players

    Glenville 27 players

    Canton McKinley  30 players. 

    To be honest.....I am not aware of a single player from my high school in history who has ever played in the NFL....but a few here from my kid's school where I live have. 

    Though....the founder of Goodyear Tire and Rubber was born there in my home town.  (Norton)

    And something I just recently learned.   The wife of the richest man to ever walk the earth, in relative dollars:  John D. Rockefeller, came from right here in Wadsworth.  I guess you could say that meant the richest woman ever to walk the earth was from here.   To my knowledge, none of that money was ever spread around town here. Laura Spelman was her name.  Spelman College in Atlanta was named after her. 

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Did you know Grant Overbaugh?

    Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.

    @tour2ma said:

    Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.

    I was friends with his younger brother in Elementary and Jr. High.  If I recall he got a scholarship to Middle Tenn but quit after 1 year.  I remember Kubit.   Big guy who ate like a horse.  I think he got a job as a corrections officer for the County Jail. 

  • and six of those ended up playing in the NFL

    Six guys from the same Kent Roosevelt  HS team ended up playing in the NFL.    I don't know if that is a record or what, but that is a hell of a lot. 

    @the-gipper said:

    and six of those ended up playing in the NFL

    Six guys from the same Kent Roosevelt  HS team ended up playing in the NFL.    I don't know if that is a record or what, but that is a hell of a lot. 

    That '67 Roosevelt team was ridiculous. 

    The '64 undefeated Ravenna team was damn good too, with Don Nottingham. 

  • Any former offensive lineman on this board???  It seems like RB, WR, CB types would have the hardest time with High Ankle sprains. Quick burst positions.  But it’s not a fun injury overall for anyone.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Any former offensive lineman on this board???  It seems like RB, WR, CB types would have the hardest time with High Ankle sprains. Quick burst positions.  But it’s not a fun injury overall for anyone.  

    Trapping and pulling require healthy ankles; and Teller was good at both.  Pass pro can demand some lateral movement that can make it difficult on a flimsy ankle.  Also keep in mind, the Browns are heading back to the turf in the Meadowlands this weekend that some speculated led to some serious (and possibly avoidable) injuries that a grass surface may not have caused. 

    Cook looked like he did a solid job last week to the extent I'm guessing we will be running the ball to the right more often than we did last week. I think he's been learning backup Center and Guard roles so now he can just focus more on RG and get an entire week of prep with the game plans. My guess is the play calling was cognizant of this.  FWIW, the Giants have a very good defensive front against the run .Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence are both 1st round draft picks playing extremely well for them.  Williams was actually drafted by the Jets and the Giants are tapping his talent IMO.  

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Any former offensive lineman on this board???  It seems like RB, WR, CB types would have the hardest time with High Ankle sprains. Quick burst positions.  But it’s not a fun injury overall for anyone.  

    Trapping and pulling require healthy ankles; and Teller was good at both.  Pass pro can demand some lateral movement that can make it difficult on a flimsy ankle.  Also keep in mind, the Browns are heading back to the turf in the Meadowlands this weekend that some speculated led to some serious (and possibly avoidable) injuries that a grass surface may not have caused. 

    Cook looked like he did a solid job last week to the extent I'm guessing we will be running the ball to the right more often than we did last week. I think he's been learning backup Center and Guard roles so now he can just focus more on RG and get an entire week of prep with the game plans. My guess is the play calling was cognizant of this.  FWIW, the Giants have a very good defensive front against the run .Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence are both 1st round draft picks playing extremely well for them.  Williams was actually drafted by the Jets and the Giants are tapping his talent IMO.  

    @flugel said:

    the Giants have a very good defensive front against the run .Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence are both 1st round draft picks playing extremely well for them. 

    Exactly.  They throttled our run.  Fortunately we still were able to move the ball.

  • @the-gipper said:

    and six of those ended up playing in the NFL

    Six guys from the same Kent Roosevelt  HS team ended up playing in the NFL.    I don't know if that is a record or what, but that is a hell of a lot. 

    That '67 Roosevelt team was ridiculous. 

    The '64 undefeated Ravenna team was damn good too, with Don Nottingham. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    That '67 Roosevelt team was ridiculous. 

    The '64 undefeated Ravenna team was damn good too, with Don Nottingham. 

    Yes.   As you may know, both KR and  Ravenna were in the same conference as Norton where I went.   I had a bit of an older friend who played either DL or LB  for Norton at the time Nottingham played for Ravenna...and also  when Larry Csonka played for Stow.   He said that Csonka was a cream puff compared to Nottingham to try to tackle. 

  • The article I read this morning said Teller wasn't practicing, but wasn't ruled out just yet. We'll see, but I'm guessing we want to make sure he's healthy for next week. Sendejo is actually back, and I couldn't be happier. Malcom Smith isn't practicing and that makes me very nervous. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    That '67 Roosevelt team was ridiculous. 

    The '64 undefeated Ravenna team was damn good too, with Don Nottingham. 

    Yes.   As you may know, both KR and  Ravenna were in the same conference as Norton where I went.   I had a bit of an older friend who played either DL or LB  for Norton at the time Nottingham played for Ravenna...and also  when Larry Csonka played for Stow.   He said that Csonka was a cream puff compared to Nottingham to try to tackle. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes.   As you may know, both KR and  Ravenna were in the same conference as Norton where I went.   I had a bit of an older friend who played either DL or LB  for Norton at the time Nottingham played for Ravenna...and also  when Larry Csonka played for Stow.   He said that Csonka was a cream puff compared to Nottingham to try to tackle. 

    Larry was a big charging angry buffalo.

  • Larry Csonka was 6'3" - I knew his sister Nancy.

    Don Nottingham - no highlight video of him -

    but he was "the Bowling Ball" but was only 5'10", harder to get a hold of, and was only 210 lbs. But he was stocky, and

    powerful, no fear, like a rocky mountain goat violently headbashing with another rocky mountain goat.

    He caught passes out of the backfield, and also -returned kicks-.

    https://www.nfl.com/players/don-nottingham/stats/career

    I did find this video of him, though - he ended up with hearing loss from all the collisions....