Skip to content

Vernon Ruptured Achilles

The Browns Board
51 17 1.3k
  • I'll be queuing up more edge defenders.

    @tiamat63 said:

    I'll be queuing up more edge defenders.

    We expected you to in any case...

    Did you not get the memo? 😉

  • @tour2ma said:

    Why? Players come back from Achilles fairly quickly all the time.

    Post surgery healing time is 6 to 8 weeks. Return to play can be as fast as 4 months.  Even at double that he makes training camp.

    He’s 30...It is a tough injury...along with other tough injuries he’s dealt with...and we have a choice on whether he comes back or not with no financial ramifications if we cut ties.  That’s where my heads at.  

    Does he want to come back on a prove it type deal - incentive type deal-  okay I give him a shot in 2021. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    He’s 30...It is a tough injury...along with other tough injuries he’s dealt with...and we have a choice on whether he comes back or not with no financial ramifications if we cut ties.  That’s where my heads at.  

    Does he want to come back on a prove it type deal - incentive type deal-  okay I give him a shot in 2021. 

    Point taken... it is his first major injury (see below) so hard to predict how he'll react.

    I'd go incentive laden one-deal deal with a mutual option.

    Olivier Vernon Injury History

    Date League Injury Details
    Oct 11, 2020 NFL Inguinal Groin Pull Grade 1 Vernon picked up the groin injury during the Week 5 win over the Colts. He was active for the next game
    Sep 16, 2020 NFL Abdomen Muscle Strain Grade 2 Vernon practiced on a limited basis ahead of Week 2 game against the Bengals. He missed two games due to an abdomen injury.
    Dec 4, 2019 NFL Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 Vernon was limited in practice both Wednesday and Thursday before getting scratched for Friday's session and missed the week 14 game. He was inactive until the season finale game
    Nov 3, 2019 NFL Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 Vernon suffered a knee injury late in the action Week 9 at Denver. He was ruled out for 3 games
    Aug 26, 2018 NFL Pedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3 Vernon also suffered a deep bruise to his left ankle. He missed the first 5 games.
    Aug 26, 2018 NFL Pedal Ankle Bruise Vernon went down in practice and was carted off.
    Oct 1, 2017 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2  
    Sep 13, 2015 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2  
  • Man... really wish the Browns had Takk McKinley make it past all those waivers...

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    No.

    I don’t trust his health and there are too many other guys on that side of the ball in the same boat.  

    I would clean house. I’d take a hard look at our coordinator too.  

    Tough call - my hunch is, he didn't show up early on much. 

    But later turned it on. We don't know the story behind that -  don't know if he was playing banged up early on...

    but now he is toast for a while - out of the playoffs. That will change everything.

    ******************************************

    https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/olivier-vernon-suffers-ruptured-achilles

    Olivier Vernon Suffers Ruptured Achilles, Which Devastates Browns On Multiple Fronts

    An MRI has revealed that Cleveland Browns defensive end Olivier Vernon has suffered a ruptured Achilles' which not only ends his season, but raises questions about his future and the defensive end position for Browns next year.
    *******************************************

    I have felt all season that our DC has been brilliant - he just has a lack of talent out there for different reasons. And STILL made the PLAYOFFS ! He isn't going anywhere - been extremely successful elsewhere.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Tough call - my hunch is, he didn't show up early on much. 

    But later turned it on. We don't know the story behind that -  don't know if he was playing banged up early on...

    but now he is toast for a while - out of the playoffs. That will change everything.

    ******************************************

    https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/olivier-vernon-suffers-ruptured-achilles

    Olivier Vernon Suffers Ruptured Achilles, Which Devastates Browns On Multiple Fronts

    An MRI has revealed that Cleveland Browns defensive end Olivier Vernon has suffered a ruptured Achilles' which not only ends his season, but raises questions about his future and the defensive end position for Browns next year.
    *******************************************

    I have felt all season that our DC has been brilliant - he just has a lack of talent out there for different reasons. And STILL made the PLAYOFFS ! He isn't going anywhere - been extremely successful elsewhere.

    The D ended up right in the middle in rankings (16th). That isn't bad considering how many holes they had at LB and DB. Next year will most likely have upgrades in both units. They will focus on LB/DB heavy in the draft and add a few FAs as well.  

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Tough call - my hunch is, he didn't show up early on much. 

    But later turned it on. We don't know the story behind that -  don't know if he was playing banged up early on...

    but now he is toast for a while - out of the playoffs. That will change everything.

    ******************************************

    https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/olivier-vernon-suffers-ruptured-achilles

    Olivier Vernon Suffers Ruptured Achilles, Which Devastates Browns On Multiple Fronts

    An MRI has revealed that Cleveland Browns defensive end Olivier Vernon has suffered a ruptured Achilles' which not only ends his season, but raises questions about his future and the defensive end position for Browns next year.
    *******************************************

    I have felt all season that our DC has been brilliant - he just has a lack of talent out there for different reasons. And STILL made the PLAYOFFS ! He isn't going anywhere - been extremely successful elsewhere.

    The D ended up right in the middle in rankings (16th). That isn't bad considering how many holes they had at LB and DB. Next year will most likely have upgrades in both units. They will focus on LB/DB heavy in the draft and add a few FAs as well.  

    @icecube said:

    The D ended up right in the middle in rankings (16th). That isn't bad considering how many holes they had at LB and DB. Next year will most likely have upgrades in both units. They will focus on LB/DB heavy in the draft and add a few FAs as well.  

    I agree - S/CB/LB....

    and it's a nicer deeper draft for DE's than I thought at first - NOTE  - Tyreke Smith, Ohio State. I think that would be a fine pick, Hopefully about the 4th round

    https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2021DE.php

  • Vernon is going to be a big blow because he has picked up the slack from Myles as Myles still is having post covid issues. So Myles will need to up his game. Clayborn I think is the best next option and needs to play well. I did see him get some pressures last game. If we get Ward back that will be huge. Going forward I would take OV back on a friendly one year prove it deal. The defense as a whole needs a lot of work, it should be the primary focus of the draft and free agency.

  • Vernon will be signing 1-2yr prove-it deals moving forward.. I'd bring him back because the $ are lower in those deals.

    Sure, edge is now a need in addition to every other team, but Vernon is still the best bang-for-buck next year because he'll be far better than average.

    I hope we go LB in the first.. maybe Rashad Weaver from Pitt will be there in the second

  • This, of course, is a big blow to us heading into a playoff game.  He was doing a pretty good job.

    I'm pretty sure his position will be targeted in the offseason.  

    His contract is up I think.  At 30 years old and injury prone, perhaps a friendlier contract can be negotiated.  

  • If you asked me after the first month of the season, I would have said OV (Vernon) has to go. He's making big money and he wasn't producing. Fast forward to NOW, and he's been our best DE, even better than the covid stricken Myles Garrett in some games. Losing him for our playoff game is tear-jerking, but the question remains...what do we do with him? What do you guys think? 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    If you asked me after the first month of the season, I would have said OV (Vernon) has to go. He's making big money and he wasn't producing. Fast forward to NOW, and he's been our best DE, even better than the covid stricken Myles Garrett in some games. Losing him for our playoff game is tear-jerking, but the question remains...what do we do with him? What do you guys think? 

    Achilles injuries are brutal, I'd say thats especially true for defensive lineman considering the pressure put on them when you are battling with other lineman.  He's not super old but he's still 30.  I'd expect the Browns to stand by him in his recovery and as you said negotiate a less expensive contract or just let him walk when the time comes.  No way would I advocate signing him to another lucrative deal after that type of injury and soon being north of 30. 

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    If you asked me after the first month of the season, I would have said OV (Vernon) has to go. He's making big money and he wasn't producing. Fast forward to NOW, and he's been our best DE, even better than the covid stricken Myles Garrett in some games. Losing him for our playoff game is tear-jerking, but the question remains...what do we do with him? What do you guys think? 

    Achilles injuries are brutal, I'd say thats especially true for defensive lineman considering the pressure put on them when you are battling with other lineman.  He's not super old but he's still 30.  I'd expect the Browns to stand by him in his recovery and as you said negotiate a less expensive contract or just let him walk when the time comes.  No way would I advocate signing him to another lucrative deal after that type of injury and soon being north of 30. 

    @vagitron said:

    Achilles injuries are brutal, I'd say thats especially true for defensive lineman considering the pressure put on them when you are battling with other lineman.  He's not super old but he's still 30.  I'd expect the Browns to stand by him in his recovery and as you said negotiate a less expensive contract or just let him walk when the time comes.  No way would I advocate signing him to another lucrative deal after that type of injury and soon being north of 30. 

    It's one of the worst. I feel awful for him. 

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    If you asked me after the first month of the season, I would have said OV (Vernon) has to go. He's making big money and he wasn't producing. Fast forward to NOW, and he's been our best DE, even better than the covid stricken Myles Garrett in some games. Losing him for our playoff game is tear-jerking, but the question remains...what do we do with him? What do you guys think? 

    Achilles injuries are brutal, I'd say thats especially true for defensive lineman considering the pressure put on them when you are battling with other lineman.  He's not super old but he's still 30.  I'd expect the Browns to stand by him in his recovery and as you said negotiate a less expensive contract or just let him walk when the time comes.  No way would I advocate signing him to another lucrative deal after that type of injury and soon being north of 30. 

    @vagitron said:

    Achilles injuries are brutal, I'd say thats especially true for defensive lineman considering the pressure put on them when you are battling with other lineman.  He's not super old but he's still 30.  I'd expect the Browns to stand by him in his recovery and as you said negotiate a less expensive contract or just let him walk when the time comes.  No way would I advocate signing him to another lucrative deal after that type of injury and soon being north of 30. 

    Wait....Tour  downplayed the severity of the achilles injury.  See:

    Why? Players come back from Achilles fairly quickly all the time.

    Post surgery healing time is 6 to 8 weeks. Return to play can be as fast as 4 months.  Even at double that he makes training camp.

    So which one of you is accurate, and which one isn't? 

     
  • @vagitron said:

    Achilles injuries are brutal, I'd say thats especially true for defensive lineman considering the pressure put on them when you are battling with other lineman.  He's not super old but he's still 30.  I'd expect the Browns to stand by him in his recovery and as you said negotiate a less expensive contract or just let him walk when the time comes.  No way would I advocate signing him to another lucrative deal after that type of injury and soon being north of 30. 

    Wait....Tour  downplayed the severity of the achilles injury.  See:

    Why? Players come back from Achilles fairly quickly all the time.

    Post surgery healing time is 6 to 8 weeks. Return to play can be as fast as 4 months.  Even at double that he makes training camp.

    So which one of you is accurate, and which one isn't? 

     

    @the-gipper said:

    Wait....Tour  downplayed the severity of the achilles injury.  See:

    Why? Players come back from Achilles fairly quickly all the time.

    Post surgery healing time is 6 to 8 weeks. Return to play can be as fast as 4 months.  Even at double that he makes training camp.

    So which one of you is accurate, and which one isn't? 

     

    It depends on the player, the position and the sport. Achilles injuries are pretty damn rough.  I used to deal with strains a fair amount, its definitely not an injury I'd feel good about if it were a steeler and that's especially true with a defensive lineman that has to anchor and push against dudes paid to move mountains. However professional athletes are remarkable human beings and recovery is different because they are built different. Vernon isn't getting any younger. 

    26% of all ruptured achilles injuries end in retirement. They aren't minor injuries. 

  • No.

    I don’t trust his health and there are too many other guys on that side of the ball in the same boat.  

    I would clean house. I’d take a hard look at our coordinator too.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    No.

    I don’t trust his health and there are too many other guys on that side of the ball in the same boat.  

    I would clean house. I’d take a hard look at our coordinator too.  

    i agree...don't care for woods either....who is vernons' backup.....maybe he is a diamond in the rough....this is going to be a tough weekend....our qb pressure d  is not all that great...at least vernon has been showing up lately.....lb's are not good and the db's are a mess with all the injuries and covid.....woods is going to have to come up with some kind of plan....good luck with that...

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    No.

    I don’t trust his health and there are too many other guys on that side of the ball in the same boat.  

    I would clean house. I’d take a hard look at our coordinator too.  

    i agree...don't care for woods either....who is vernons' backup.....maybe he is a diamond in the rough....this is going to be a tough weekend....our qb pressure d  is not all that great...at least vernon has been showing up lately.....lb's are not good and the db's are a mess with all the injuries and covid.....woods is going to have to come up with some kind of plan....good luck with that...

    @browns52 said:

    i agree...don't care for woods either....who is vernons' backup.....maybe he is a diamond in the rough....this is going to be a tough weekend....our qb pressure d  is not all that great...at least vernon has been showing up lately.....lb's are not good and the db's are a mess with all the injuries and covid.....woods is going to have to come up with some kind of plan....good luck with that...

    Send a couple guys outside your front four on a blitz?  

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    If you asked me after the first month of the season, I would have said OV (Vernon) has to go. He's making big money and he wasn't producing. Fast forward to NOW, and he's been our best DE, even better than the covid stricken Myles Garrett in some games. Losing him for our playoff game is tear-jerking, but the question remains...what do we do with him? What do you guys think? 

    Achilles injuries are brutal, I'd say thats especially true for defensive lineman considering the pressure put on them when you are battling with other lineman.  He's not super old but he's still 30.  I'd expect the Browns to stand by him in his recovery and as you said negotiate a less expensive contract or just let him walk when the time comes.  No way would I advocate signing him to another lucrative deal after that type of injury and soon being north of 30. 

    @vagitron said:

    Achilles injuries are brutal, I'd say thats especially true for defensive lineman considering the pressure put on them when you are battling with other lineman.  He's not super old but he's still 30.  I'd expect the Browns to stand by him in his recovery and as you said negotiate a less expensive contract or just let him walk when the time comes.  No way would I advocate signing him to another lucrative deal after that type of injury and soon being north of 30. 

    NO!

    You can't have him... 😉

  • @the-gipper said:

    Wait....Tour  downplayed the severity of the achilles injury.  See:

    Why? Players come back from Achilles fairly quickly all the time.

    Post surgery healing time is 6 to 8 weeks. Return to play can be as fast as 4 months.  Even at double that he makes training camp.

    So which one of you is accurate, and which one isn't? 

     

    It depends on the player, the position and the sport. Achilles injuries are pretty damn rough.  I used to deal with strains a fair amount, its definitely not an injury I'd feel good about if it were a steeler and that's especially true with a defensive lineman that has to anchor and push against dudes paid to move mountains. However professional athletes are remarkable human beings and recovery is different because they are built different. Vernon isn't getting any younger. 

    26% of all ruptured achilles injuries end in retirement. They aren't minor injuries. 

    @vagitron said:

    It depends on the player, the position and the sport. Achilles injuries are pretty damn rough.  I used to deal with strains a fair amount, its definitely not an injury I'd feel good about if it were a steeler and that's especially true with a defensive lineman that has to anchor and push against dudes paid to move mountains. However professional athletes are remarkable human beings and recovery is different because they are built different. Vernon isn't getting any younger. 

    26% of all ruptured achilles injuries end in retirement. They aren't minor injuries. 

    So odds are 3:1 on his recovery. How many of the retirements were at the end of their careers and not just approaching that stage as Vernon is?

    That said....

    Much to Gip's disappointment there's no real disagreement here... just two sides of same coin... one optimistic... one not so much. My initial reply to SdB was simply to show it's too early to write him off to which he replied that wasn't what he intended to say.

    Yes, it not a minor injury just as knees are not minor. Degree of tear is a factor as is age. But the surgical skill today is astounding.

    In Vernon's case our Med Staff will be all over the surgical result, his rehab, etc. In other words they will know his prognosis long before any other team gets a sniff.

    Motivation to return is the remaining big factor. This is Vernon's first significant injury. How he attacks his rehab will be the final piece of the resign decision... and again our Med Staff will have the inside info. They will determine his viability for 2021 and pass the info to Berry and Co.

  • @vagitron said:

    It depends on the player, the position and the sport. Achilles injuries are pretty damn rough.  I used to deal with strains a fair amount, its definitely not an injury I'd feel good about if it were a steeler and that's especially true with a defensive lineman that has to anchor and push against dudes paid to move mountains. However professional athletes are remarkable human beings and recovery is different because they are built different. Vernon isn't getting any younger. 

    26% of all ruptured achilles injuries end in retirement. They aren't minor injuries. 

    So odds are 3:1 on his recovery. How many of the retirements were at the end of their careers and not just approaching that stage as Vernon is?

    That said....

    Much to Gip's disappointment there's no real disagreement here... just two sides of same coin... one optimistic... one not so much. My initial reply to SdB was simply to show it's too early to write him off to which he replied that wasn't what he intended to say.

    Yes, it not a minor injury just as knees are not minor. Degree of tear is a factor as is age. But the surgical skill today is astounding.

    In Vernon's case our Med Staff will be all over the surgical result, his rehab, etc. In other words they will know his prognosis long before any other team gets a sniff.

    Motivation to return is the remaining big factor. This is Vernon's first significant injury. How he attacks his rehab will be the final piece of the resign decision... and again our Med Staff will have the inside info. They will determine his viability for 2021 and pass the info to Berry and Co.

    @tour2ma said:

    So odds are 3:1 on his recovery. How many of the retirements were at the end of their careers and not just approaching that stage as Vernon is?

    That said....

    Much to Gip's disappointment there's no real disagreement here... just two sides of same coin... one optimistic... one not so much. My initial reply to SdB was simply to show it's too early to write him off to which he replied that wasn't what he intended to say.

    You say it could be a 4 month recovery,  Vag says it could be much, much longer.   I think that is what you call a disagreement.  Yes, one is based on optimism, the other on pessimism...maybe.  It is still a disagreement.  

     But:  I hope you are right.  For some of the reasons you cite herein:  

    Yes, it not a minor injury just as knees are not minor. Degree of tear is a factor as is age. But the surgical skill today is astounding.

    In Vernon's case our Med Staff will be all over the surgical result, his rehab, etc. In other words they will know his prognosis long before any other team gets a sniff.

    Motivation to return is the remaining big factor. This is Vernon's first significant injury. How he attacks his rehab will be the final piece of the resign decision... and again our Med Staff will have the inside info. They will determine his viability for 2021 and pass the info to Berry and Co.

  • @browns52 said:

    i agree...don't care for woods either....who is vernons' backup.....maybe he is a diamond in the rough....this is going to be a tough weekend....our qb pressure d  is not all that great...at least vernon has been showing up lately.....lb's are not good and the db's are a mess with all the injuries and covid.....woods is going to have to come up with some kind of plan....good luck with that...

    Send a couple guys outside your front four on a blitz?  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Send a couple guys outside your front four on a blitz?  

    he hardly does that but i think we are in a situation where he is going to have to do it.....its all or nothing mode now....

  • @tour2ma said:

    So odds are 3:1 on his recovery. How many of the retirements were at the end of their careers and not just approaching that stage as Vernon is?

    That said....

    Much to Gip's disappointment there's no real disagreement here... just two sides of same coin... one optimistic... one not so much. My initial reply to SdB was simply to show it's too early to write him off to which he replied that wasn't what he intended to say.

    You say it could be a 4 month recovery,  Vag says it could be much, much longer.   I think that is what you call a disagreement.  Yes, one is based on optimism, the other on pessimism...maybe.  It is still a disagreement.  

     But:  I hope you are right.  For some of the reasons you cite herein:  

    Yes, it not a minor injury just as knees are not minor. Degree of tear is a factor as is age. But the surgical skill today is astounding.

    In Vernon's case our Med Staff will be all over the surgical result, his rehab, etc. In other words they will know his prognosis long before any other team gets a sniff.

    Motivation to return is the remaining big factor. This is Vernon's first significant injury. How he attacks his rehab will be the final piece of the resign decision... and again our Med Staff will have the inside info. They will determine his viability for 2021 and pass the info to Berry and Co.

    @the-gipper said:

    I never said it was longer but I did say that guys don't always recover from them to regain everything they had before the injury. I agree with tour that surgery has come a very long way and surgeons can do remarkable things. It's a tough injury but not an impossible one. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    I never said it was longer but I did say that guys don't always recover from them to regain everything they had before the injury. I agree with tour that surgery has come a very long way and surgeons can do remarkable things. It's a tough injury but not an impossible one. 

    @vagitron said:

    I never said it was longer but I did say that guys don't always recover from them to regain everything they had before the injury. I agree with tour that surgery has come a very long way and surgeons can do remarkable things. It's a tough injury but not an impossible one. 

    Hopefully a successful surgery and a short recovery.  Nevertheless, I think the Browns  need to do something in the draft early to take a DE.  As much as we need LBs and  DBs  (though with DBs....what we need are the ones on the roster to be healthy).