Browns Free Agent List
-
Not just a matter of "keep/ don't keep"... it's keep at what cost?
Ogun? As a rotational DT, he fine... and at $1mm per year, he's been a bargain, but is he worth $3 or $4mm/yr? Nope. I'll throw $1.5 at Taylor and keep him. But for that same $1.5 or even $1.75? Then Ogun is back in the discussion.
Lamm? He was a lifesaver. Not only "serviceable" as mentioned above, but he was versatile as shown by playing RT one week and LT the next. And he appeared in 15 games this year... so he was available. But again, he made $2.25mm this season... is he worth that or more when you can extend Hance for less? That's as much of a staff call as it is Berry's.
Gotta look at what they've been making to get an idea of what they will want in their next deal...
-
I would lock down this roster and run this group back, with a few exceptions.
1- We had several players opt out before the season started. A couple on the OL if I remember right. We retain the rights for those players? Are those guys good or nah?
2- We found some great players here and there, Karl Joseph, Kevin Johnson and Harrison Jr come to mind. Adding back Delpit who was touted as making some noise early before the injury would also be a huge boost. If Delpit and Greedy turn out okay, we could have a solid secondary.
3- With Beckham coming back to dynamic duo with Landry, I still love Hollywood in this group. Gotta get these guys on the same page and get them to realize that the sum of the parts is more than the individual payout. I'm hoping that Beckham has made his cashflow and now can be content to settle down into a role player with his good friend Jarvis and keep to a team friendly deal.
4- Really love the Hunt / Chubb combo, just have to finetune it a little more, that will come with time in the system... also, the amount of wrinkles that they'll be able to create a year into it should be substantial. I just hope that Hunt and Chubb can come to terms with smaller contract numbers...
I know it may be too much to ask for these guys to sacrifice for the team but that's going to be what's needed. Every extra dollar that you have to pay Myles, Beckham, Baker or Chubb takes away from the team pool of players and potentially cuts off your nose to spite your face. I hope that somehow, someway, Berry can make a clear and forthcoming commitment to these players and in return they will also make the commitment to the team. If everyone pulls their 1/11 there doesn't need to be such a disparity between the pay of these players... We'd be able to retain our nucleus for the long term and continue to deliberately add dynamic and powerful pieces throughout the team.
Injuries are going to happen and they certainly did this year, but the team stepped up behind them and truly showed what can be when you take the individual ego out of it. When guys work together like Chubb and Hunt it lightens the load on them, not only slowing down the wear and tear on their bodies allowing them to play longer but it keeps them refreshed and stronger throughout the season. There is no telling how great a team that embraces this type of mentality can become.
I don't know if I'm saying this right... Does this make sense? For instance, say a team like Cleveland were to come together, if everyone ate a fair share of the pie, allowing for more talent across the board to be had, and with that even more success... is there incentives for that kind of thing to work? Like winning a Superbowl, hosting playoff games, team endorsement deals and they like... do those types of things help to narrow the gap in pay for players willing to play for less?
I'd just like to see them keep this group together. Sometimes the magic just happens for some reason or another- and the chemistry and success that we've seen blossom in front of us, the playing for each other, something bigger than yourself, just shouldn't be tampered with.
I don't know if I'm saying this right... Does this make sense? For instance, say a team like Cleveland were to come together, if everyone ate a fair share of the pie, allowing for more talent across the board to be had, and with that even more success... is there incentives for that kind of thing to work? Like winning a Superbowl, hosting playoff games, team endorsement deals and they like... do those types of things help to narrow the gap in pay for players willing to play for less?
For proven, Championship teams, it's a big incentive to stay and a recruiting tool to attract UFAs at reduced cost. It helped fuel NE's prolonged run.
We're not there yet... but... some of the talent on our team hitting FA just might be inclined to stay for a little less they they can make elsewhere. They certainly aren't fleeing the dumpster fire that was us just a couple o' three seasons ago.
Plus we have to remember that these FAs have lives. Uprooting a family... kids changing schools... none of these are desirable... and now with the dumpster fire out, they are not necessary.
-
The true question is optimizing over all available free agents - not just current Browns.
Keep: Mitchell [backup/spot-starter, was a top10DB in spurts] , Vernon [should be some form of prove-it], Ogunjobi [backup], Higgins
Depends on their ask: Parkey, Johnson [should be another prove-it], Goodson
Presuming they sign for backup-level $$: Taylor, Lamm
Updated 2021 FA lists.
I'd go after half the DB's just to see what's possible. Only LB's truly an upgrade over Goodson are: Milano/Bills, David/TB, Brown/Titans
Interesting that no Browns player appears on that list until # 94...
Terrance Marshall, CB, Browns. Age: 29. 

Terrance Marshall was thrust into the starting lineup because of an injury to Greedy Williams. Marshall performed well, tackling particularly well.Good old Terrence Marshall. I hope we can resign him. He’s our top rated free agent.
Interesting that no Browns player appears on that list until # 94...
Terrance Marshall, CB, Browns. Age: 29. 

Terrance Marshall was thrust into the starting lineup because of an injury to Greedy Williams. Marshall performed well, tackling particularly well.Good old Terrence Marshall. I hope we can resign him. He’s our top rated free agent.
How do they f up so much to call him Marshall instead of Mitchell?
-
The true question is optimizing over all available free agents - not just current Browns.
Keep: Mitchell [backup/spot-starter, was a top10DB in spurts] , Vernon [should be some form of prove-it], Ogunjobi [backup], Higgins
Depends on their ask: Parkey, Johnson [should be another prove-it], Goodson
Presuming they sign for backup-level $$: Taylor, Lamm
Updated 2021 FA lists.
I'd go after half the DB's just to see what's possible. Only LB's truly an upgrade over Goodson are: Milano/Bills, David/TB, Brown/Titans
The true question is optimizing over all available free agents - not just current Browns.
Keep: Mitchell [backup/spot-starter, was a top10DB in spurts] , Vernon [should be some form of prove-it], Ogunjobi [backup], Higgins
Depends on their ask: Parkey, Johnson [should be another prove-it], Goodson
Presuming they sign for backup-level $$: Taylor, Lamm
Updated 2021 FA lists.
I'd go after half the DB's just to see what's possible. Only LB's truly an upgrade over Goodson are: Milano/Bills, David/TB, Brown/Titans
Well seeing the first brown is 94 there's definitely room to improve via that list
-
Zombo said:
I'll just address the UFA's:
Vernon: Age & Injuries say let him go
Joseph: let him go
Goodson: wait him out and then sign him to team-friendly deal.
Lamm: See ya.
Smith: See ya
Agree on most... disagree on these 5...
- Vernon - all price and recovery dependent with the latter driving down the former, and as I've posted before we will have all the info on his recovery.
- Goodson - at 28 he's approaching his last payday so I don't see "team-friendly"; he gave us a good 2020, reward him commensurately.
- Joseph and Smith - great vet presence and can still play... I want them in their respective position rooms
And that leaves Lamm... bit more complicated here.
No one can argue (don't take this as a challenge, Gipper) that he did not contribute to our 2020 success. And when your O-line is the strength of your Offense, then you have to have backups that can approach maintaining that strength.
We'll keep 3 backup OL for 8 total... 9 at the outside... plus a couple on the PS. Assuming we return our starting 5 by signing Teller that leaves 3 or 4 backup spots. Presently the candidates for those spots are:
- Lamm,
- Hubbard (IR),
- Forbes (Covid OptOut),
- Dunn (IR),
- Harris (IR),
- Hance, and
- Fabiano.
Clearly Callahan is going to have the greatest input here of the staff on performance level and development potential with Stef concerned about headcount and Barry focused on the Cap. So Stef and Andrew will value position flexibility... Hubbard has it (OG + OT), Fabs has it (OG + OC), and shock of shocks, Hance seems to have it, too (OG + OT). Lamm? Well we know he can flip sides, and that's not nothing.
I try to keep the four listed above, if I can work a reasonable deal out with Lamm... something in the $2.5 to 3.0 mm area with little guaranteed or $2 to 2.5 mm with substantial guarantees.
This leaves Harris on the outside looking in. We simply cannot afford the luxury of a one position backup. Also I should be able to shop he and his cap-friendly rookie deal and pick up a draft pick somewhere in the middle of Day 3... certainly no worse than a 6th rounder.
And the total dead money impact on 2021 is a mere $120k.
I wouldn't mind keeping more, but as my wife told me about my accumulated audio equipment in general and my speakers in particular... "You can't keep them all."




-
I don't know if I'm saying this right... Does this make sense? For instance, say a team like Cleveland were to come together, if everyone ate a fair share of the pie, allowing for more talent across the board to be had, and with that even more success... is there incentives for that kind of thing to work? Like winning a Superbowl, hosting playoff games, team endorsement deals and they like... do those types of things help to narrow the gap in pay for players willing to play for less?
For proven, Championship teams, it's a big incentive to stay and a recruiting tool to attract UFAs at reduced cost. It helped fuel NE's prolonged run.
We're not there yet... but... some of the talent on our team hitting FA just might be inclined to stay for a little less they they can make elsewhere. They certainly aren't fleeing the dumpster fire that was us just a couple o' three seasons ago.
Plus we have to remember that these FAs have lives. Uprooting a family... kids changing schools... none of these are desirable... and now with the dumpster fire out, they are not necessary.
For proven, Championship teams, it's a big incentive to stay and a recruiting tool to attract UFAs at reduced cost. It helped fuel NE's prolonged run.
We're not there yet... but... some of the talent on our team hitting FA just might be inclined to stay for a little less they they can make elsewhere. They certainly aren't fleeing the dumpster fire that was us just a couple o' three seasons ago.
Plus we have to remember that these FAs have lives. Uprooting a family... kids changing schools... none of these are desirable... and now with the dumpster fire out, they are not necessary.
With NE it started with Brady making pay concessions. If Mayfield signs on at more of bargain - closer to what he’s getting now than some top 5 QB money. We have more room than we anticipate.
But Bill was notorious for letting someone else pay the next contract for his defenders though. We even paid some of those next contracts.
I may start sending offers to guys that will hit 2022 free agency. Chubb and Teller come to mind. Henry did a 4 year 50M contract. Would you sign Chubb for that money? I think that’s fair and probably ideal for both sides. I wouldn’t screw with the run game we have going on right now
-
Money Mitch is my priority, IMHO. Sorry, but I've seen some shoddy CB play between the days of Haden and Denzel. Having 2 quality guys on the perimeter means worlds.
-
Money Mitch is my priority, IMHO. Sorry, but I've seen some shoddy CB play between the days of Haden and Denzel. Having 2 quality guys on the perimeter means worlds.
Money Mitch is my priority, IMHO. Sorry, but I've seen some shoddy CB play between the days of Haden and Denzel. Having 2 quality guys on the perimeter means worlds.
Yep!! He had a great year. And the best part he was available.I don’t even want to wait around for Greedy to be honest. He’s under contract but I’d assume we don’t have him. Having Ward, Greedy, Mitch I think we are to bound have hopefully 2 of them available any given Sunday.
There are a decent number of starter type quality DB, S hitting free agency this year. With that the case, I don’t think it will take a lot to sign Mitch and I think we drop in free agency and take another as well. -
For proven, Championship teams, it's a big incentive to stay and a recruiting tool to attract UFAs at reduced cost. It helped fuel NE's prolonged run.
We're not there yet... but... some of the talent on our team hitting FA just might be inclined to stay for a little less they they can make elsewhere. They certainly aren't fleeing the dumpster fire that was us just a couple o' three seasons ago.
Plus we have to remember that these FAs have lives. Uprooting a family... kids changing schools... none of these are desirable... and now with the dumpster fire out, they are not necessary.
With NE it started with Brady making pay concessions. If Mayfield signs on at more of bargain - closer to what he’s getting now than some top 5 QB money. We have more room than we anticipate.
But Bill was notorious for letting someone else pay the next contract for his defenders though. We even paid some of those next contracts.
I may start sending offers to guys that will hit 2022 free agency. Chubb and Teller come to mind. Henry did a 4 year 50M contract. Would you sign Chubb for that money? I think that’s fair and probably ideal for both sides. I wouldn’t screw with the run game we have going on right now
Would you sign Chubb for that money?
No...
Love Chubb, but behind our OL I dip back into the draft rather than sign any RB who wants anything north of $10mm... and I'd have trouble with that as well.
-
Zombo said:
I'll just address the UFA's:
I'll clean up...
RFAs: Only one I tender is Hodge as I already said I'd look to sign Fabs.... if Callahan lets me.
ERFAs: Gustin... decent player, nice motor, cheap depth.... and maybe Carlson as he showed a lil' somethin' this year.
SFA (Street FA... I had to look it up): spare Safety and FB? Pass and pass...

-
The top 7 RB's in the NFL all avg over $12mil a year.
Maybe you can exclude Kamara and Run CmC because of their value as receivers. But the other big names - Henry, Zeke, Mixon, Cook... All $12mil or more.
I love Chubb, maybe front loading the deal and the signing bonus can alleviate some cap issues? But you're not getting him south of $10mil barring a miracle.
-
The top 7 RB's in the NFL all avg over $12mil a year.
Maybe you can exclude Kamara and Run CmC because of their value as receivers. But the other big names - Henry, Zeke, Mixon, Cook... All $12mil or more.
I love Chubb, maybe front loading the deal and the signing bonus can alleviate some cap issues? But you're not getting him south of $10mil barring a miracle.
The top 7 RB's in the NFL all avg over $12mil a year.
Maybe you can exclude Kamara and Run CmC because of their value as receivers. But the other big names - Henry, Zeke, Mixon, Cook... All $12mil or more.
I love Chubb, maybe front loading the deal and the signing bonus can alleviate some cap issues? But you're not getting him south of $10mil barring a miracle.
Don't forget David Johnson...
Henry and Cook finished 1-2 in rushing... and their teams are but a 2020 season memory.
Here are the top 25 rushers for 2020: The number who are rookies or still on rookie deals totals? 16 by my count...
I love Chubb, but RB is simply not a place I choose to spend mega-money.
So if it's pay mega or move on... I move on.
-
The top 7 RB's in the NFL all avg over $12mil a year.
Maybe you can exclude Kamara and Run CmC because of their value as receivers. But the other big names - Henry, Zeke, Mixon, Cook... All $12mil or more.
I love Chubb, maybe front loading the deal and the signing bonus can alleviate some cap issues? But you're not getting him south of $10mil barring a miracle.
The top 7 RB's in the NFL all avg over $12mil a year.
Maybe you can exclude Kamara and Run CmC because of their value as receivers. But the other big names - Henry, Zeke, Mixon, Cook... All $12mil or more.
I love Chubb, maybe front loading the deal and the signing bonus can alleviate some cap issues? But you're not getting him south of $10mil barring a miracle.
Agree.
I send a message that a top 5 back with a top 5 work ethic and a team player that doesn’t pop up in bad headlines are the kind of players that get paid market value for this team. We find a way.
There are other unpopular moves I’d make before Chubb hits free agency.
-
The top 7 RB's in the NFL all avg over $12mil a year.
Maybe you can exclude Kamara and Run CmC because of their value as receivers. But the other big names - Henry, Zeke, Mixon, Cook... All $12mil or more.
I love Chubb, maybe front loading the deal and the signing bonus can alleviate some cap issues? But you're not getting him south of $10mil barring a miracle.
Don't forget David Johnson...
Henry and Cook finished 1-2 in rushing... and their teams are but a 2020 season memory.
Here are the top 25 rushers for 2020: The number who are rookies or still on rookie deals totals? 16 by my count...
I love Chubb, but RB is simply not a place I choose to spend mega-money.
So if it's pay mega or move on... I move on.
Don't forget David Johnson...
Henry and Cook finished 1-2 in rushing... and their teams are but a 2020 season memory.
Here are the top 25 rushers for 2020: The number who are rookies or still on rookie seals totals? 16 by my count...
I love Chubb, but RB is simply not a place I choose to spend mega-money.
So if it's pay mega or move on... I move on.
Chubb is special, he may be the best back we had since #32. Our run game is just better with Chubb toting the rock. I understand the sentiment about investing at that position, but I would sign him now to a 4/5yr deal with the back end easy for us to cut ties if he falls off the table. If we have fans in the stands for 2021 the 2022 cap may go up as much as 50 million. I think there will be plenty to go around. If we look in the top tier players now, there deals will probably look good several years from now.
-
The top 7 RB's in the NFL all avg over $12mil a year.
Maybe you can exclude Kamara and Run CmC because of their value as receivers. But the other big names - Henry, Zeke, Mixon, Cook... All $12mil or more.
I love Chubb, maybe front loading the deal and the signing bonus can alleviate some cap issues? But you're not getting him south of $10mil barring a miracle.
Agree.
I send a message that a top 5 back with a top 5 work ethic and a team player that doesn’t pop up in bad headlines are the kind of players that get paid market value for this team. We find a way.
There are other unpopular moves I’d make before Chubb hits free agency.
There are other unpopular moves I’d make before Chubb hits free agency.
Me, too... like trading him.
-
Zombo said:
I'll just address the UFA's:
Vernon: Age & Injuries say let him go
Joseph: let him go
Goodson: wait him out and then sign him to team-friendly deal.
Lamm: See ya.
Smith: See ya
Agree on most... disagree on these 5...
- Vernon - all price and recovery dependent with the latter driving down the former, and as I've posted before we will have all the info on his recovery.
- Goodson - at 28 he's approaching his last payday so I don't see "team-friendly"; he gave us a good 2020, reward him commensurately.
- Joseph and Smith - great vet presence and can still play... I want them in their respective position rooms
And that leaves Lamm... bit more complicated here.
No one can argue (don't take this as a challenge, Gipper) that he did not contribute to our 2020 success. And when your O-line is the strength of your Offense, then you have to have backups that can approach maintaining that strength.
We'll keep 3 backup OL for 8 total... 9 at the outside... plus a couple on the PS. Assuming we return our starting 5 by signing Teller that leaves 3 or 4 backup spots. Presently the candidates for those spots are:
- Lamm,
- Hubbard (IR),
- Forbes (Covid OptOut),
- Dunn (IR),
- Harris (IR),
- Hance, and
- Fabiano.
Clearly Callahan is going to have the greatest input here of the staff on performance level and development potential with Stef concerned about headcount and Barry focused on the Cap. So Stef and Andrew will value position flexibility... Hubbard has it (OG + OT), Fabs has it (OG + OC), and shock of shocks, Hance seems to have it, too (OG + OT). Lamm? Well we know he can flip sides, and that's not nothing.
I try to keep the four listed above, if I can work a reasonable deal out with Lamm... something in the $2.5 to 3.0 mm area with little guaranteed or $2 to 2.5 mm with substantial guarantees.
This leaves Harris on the outside looking in. We simply cannot afford the luxury of a one position backup. Also I should be able to shop he and his cap-friendly rookie deal and pick up a draft pick somewhere in the middle of Day 3... certainly no worse than a 6th rounder.
And the total dead money impact on 2021 is a mere $120k.
I wouldn't mind keeping more, but as my wife told me about my accumulated audio equipment in general and my speakers in particular... "You can't keep them all."




Agree on most... disagree on these 5...
- Vernon - all price and recovery dependent with the latter driving down the former, and as I've posted before we will have all the info on his recovery.
- Goodson - at 28 he's approaching his last payday so I don't see "team-friendly"; he gave us a good 2020, reward him commensurately.
- Joseph and Smith - great vet presence and can still play... I want them in their respective position rooms
And that leaves Lamm... bit more complicated here.
No one can argue (don't take this as a challenge, Gipper) that he did not contribute to our 2020 success. And when your O-line is the strength of your Offense, then you have to have backups that can approach maintaining that strength.
We'll keep 3 backup OL for 8 total... 9 at the outside... plus a couple on the PS. Assuming we return our starting 5 by signing Teller that leaves 3 or 4 backup spots. Presently the candidates for those spots are:
- Lamm,
- Hubbard (IR),
- Forbes (Covid OptOut),
- Dunn (IR),
- Harris (IR),
- Hance, and
- Fabiano.
Clearly Callahan is going to have the greatest input here of the staff on performance level and development potential with Stef concerned about headcount and Barry focused on the Cap. So Stef and Andrew will value position flexibility... Hubbard has it (OG + OT), Fabs has it (OG + OC), and shock of shocks, Hance seems to have it, too (OG + OT). Lamm? Well we know he can flip sides, and that's not nothing.
I try to keep the four listed above, if I can work a reasonable deal out with Lamm... something in the $2.5 to 3.0 mm area with little guaranteed or $2 to 2.5 mm with substantial guarantees.
This leaves Harris on the outside looking in. We simply cannot afford the luxury of a one position backup. Also I should be able to shop he and his cap-friendly rookie deal and pick up a draft pick somewhere in the middle of Day 3... certainly no worse than a 6th rounder.
And the total dead money impact on 2021 is a mere $120k.
I wouldn't mind keeping more, but as my wife told me about my accumulated audio equipment in general and my speakers in particular... "You can't keep them all."
I think how the backup situation sorts out will be interesting. I thought Dunn played well, Hance considering how new he was played OK too. I think we have a lot of good options there. I wonder if they do one extra game next season if they will expand the rosters any.
-
Don't forget David Johnson...
Henry and Cook finished 1-2 in rushing... and their teams are but a 2020 season memory.
Here are the top 25 rushers for 2020: The number who are rookies or still on rookie seals totals? 16 by my count...
I love Chubb, but RB is simply not a place I choose to spend mega-money.
So if it's pay mega or move on... I move on.
Chubb is special, he may be the best back we had since #32. Our run game is just better with Chubb toting the rock. I understand the sentiment about investing at that position, but I would sign him now to a 4/5yr deal with the back end easy for us to cut ties if he falls off the table. If we have fans in the stands for 2021 the 2022 cap may go up as much as 50 million. I think there will be plenty to go around. If we look in the top tier players now, there deals will probably look good several years from now.
Chubb is special, he may be the best back we had since #32. Our run game is just better with Chubb toting the rock. I understand the sentiment about investing at that position, but I would sign him now to a 4/5yr deal with the back end easy for us to cut ties if he falls off the table. If we have fans in the stands for 2021 the 2022 cap may go up as much as 50 million. I think there will be plenty to go around. If we look in the top tier players now, there deals will probably look good several years from now.
So $15mm/yr average?
And Baker? $25mm/yr?
Don't forget Teller... this year.
There goes your $50mm...
-
Chubb is special, he may be the best back we had since #32. Our run game is just better with Chubb toting the rock. I understand the sentiment about investing at that position, but I would sign him now to a 4/5yr deal with the back end easy for us to cut ties if he falls off the table. If we have fans in the stands for 2021 the 2022 cap may go up as much as 50 million. I think there will be plenty to go around. If we look in the top tier players now, there deals will probably look good several years from now.
So $15mm/yr average?
And Baker? $25mm/yr?
Don't forget Teller... this year.
There goes your $50mm...
-
Add some and lose some... Bitonio, Sheldon Rich, OBJ, Landry on last contracts with the Browns
OBJ and Landry are 28 with 3 and 4 more years under contract respectively... so yeah... but they are 3 and 4 years away from the end of their contracts. Not much help in the short term. Richardson's 30 with two more seasons under current deal. All could be cheap cuts before the end of their contracts and declining performance may warrant doing so...
But Bito?
You're going to cut Bito loose at age 32? An All-pro who has missed 2 games in four years... and those were due to Covid Contact... who plays a position where greats have played into their mid 30's?
Well in that case bye-bye Tretter, too. Same age, same contract length, but even more savings than Bito when you kick him to the curb.
It's just not as simple as you are trying to make it be... e.g., 3/5ths of our OL going FA in 2023.


-
Note that 100% of the current listed "cap space" on the front page of overthecap is the one-year type - best used as signing bonuses because that's the only type that can be one-year.
Our salary expenses this season were right at the cap. This is best thought of as having no "long term" cap space. 100% of the current listed "cap space" on the front page of overthecap is therefore only the one-year type.
Players care about the total they receive.. Our best use of the space we have is really the signing bonus.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login