Skip to content

2021 Browns OTA's/rolls into Mandatory Camp

The Browns Board
112 15 3.7k
  • Tretter wants to dump most voluntary minicamps. Many players agree with Tretter. He believes 2020 demonstrated teams could skip on field minicamps/OTAs and go straight to veterans camp in the late summer without it hurting the quality of play.

    I doubt the coaches and FO are overly thrilled with that.  I look for him to be replaced for the '22 season.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @orion said:

    I doubt the coaches and FO are overly thrilled with that.  I look for him to be replaced for the '22 season.

    I think the upcoming contract extensions given to young players approaching free agency will be more of a reason Tretter might be replaced.

    But I don't quite understand the thinking by the starting offensive players. Most or all of them are down in Texas holding an impromptu camp with Baker in support of Tretter's stance on OTA's... They can get hurt just as easily down there than they can in Berea. 

  • @gumby73 said:

    Maybe a good idea to steal this one from the Pluto thread (thanks WSS)... really good insight into the rookies that Pluto maybe hearing good things about at OTA's..

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/06/what-im-hearing-from-browns-mini-camp-about-some-draft-picks-terry-pluto.html?outputType=amp

    I've been hoping to hear some good things from the Charlotte kid.. I did get a chance to watch TH3 here locally...Excited to see the MAC transfer made Pluto's list..

    I'm just telling ya.. ?..

    don't under-estimate this kids luv of the game..His head up vision.. And can straight up bang & ball with the rest of them..(keeping it real? i do see him on the Browns PS for this season)..

    So let's Meet running back... TH3... a Solid pick-up by Berry, imo...

    Born up the road from me in Shelby, NC... Friday night lights High school days... (imo..he was Todd Gurley, that good!) 

    College...  stiff arms & a goal line nose of a FB...

    The Word? thought KBKC sums him up very well ?

    Good Luck TH3 ! ! #gutzy-grinder

    Very nice patience when running with the ball which will suit him well in our scheme.  Sets up behind his blocks well...  Makes a cut and accelerates decently...doesn’t dance a lot.   I see lots arm tackle attempts that he runs through too. 
     

    I’ll throw out a comp. too - definitely not seeing Kareem Hunt but I see Justin Forsett.  He’s a little taller but he lacks that top end gear but he finds the hole accelerates well and can break tackles 

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #53

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Very nice patience when running with the ball which will suit him well in our scheme.  Sets up behind his blocks well...  Makes a cut and accelerates decently...doesn’t dance a lot.  
    excellent TH3, view points made here by SB ^^ Am a big fan of don't dance alot's

    I see Justin Forsett.  He’s a little taller but he lacks that top end gear but he finds the hole accelerates well and can break tackles 

    Forsett.. another good player comp! ? 

    Breaking News* Gumby sucks when it comes to making player comps ?... my mind block?.. I think?

    I block out the players that got drafted after playing 5 seasons.. Somehow? my mind only rolls thru the last 5 draft season tape viewings.. 

    So....I see a now Buccaneers RB Ronald Jones ll running behind his pads..

    Stay tuned...Ronald Jones deuce only ran a 4.69 at his combine...

    Call me a big fan of ballers, that appear to be faster when being chased by big dudes.. or just gets behind his pads & trucks them over..

    and i like the thought of calling him....Tesla Tre ! 

  • I feel like I'm watching a taller version of Alfred Morris with that kid.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @tiamat63 said:

    I feel like I'm watching a taller version of Alfred Morris with that kid.

    Very relieved to see no fumbles in his college career as looked to me that he moves the ball around a good bit on the run... "pinned" to his forearm rather than high n tight.

    I do 2nd the take on his patience... a ZBS must.

  • @orion said:

    I doubt the coaches and FO are overly thrilled with that.  I look for him to be replaced for the '22 season.

    I think the upcoming contract extensions given to young players approaching free agency will be more of a reason Tretter might be replaced.

    But I don't quite understand the thinking by the starting offensive players. Most or all of them are down in Texas holding an impromptu camp with Baker in support of Tretter's stance on OTA's... They can get hurt just as easily down there than they can in Berea. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @dutch-oven said:

    I think the upcoming contract extensions given to young players approaching free agency will be more of a reason Tretter might be replaced.

    Actually, I weighed that into my thinking.  Plus the fact that they drafted a guy who can play center last year.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I feel like I'm watching a taller version of Alfred Morris with that kid.

    Very relieved to see no fumbles in his college career as looked to me that he moves the ball around a good bit on the run... "pinned" to his forearm rather than high n tight.

    I do 2nd the take on his patience... a ZBS must.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #56

    @tour2ma said:

    Very relieved to see no fumbles in his college career as looked to me that he moves the ball around a good bit on the run... "pinned" to his forearm rather than high n tight.

    I do 2nd the take on his patience... a ZBS must.

    It's not so much his patience, which is an obvious plus.  When he plants his foot and turns back inside he does it decisively and with power.  No real speed to get ahead of angles and he doesn't have the lateral movement or cross center cutback like Chubb. So for me that's where the Morris comparison really shines.      He's a plug and player runner in a shanny OZ system.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #57

    Patient decisiveness?

  • Patient decisiveness?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @tour2ma said:

    Patient decisiveness?

    It's a thing.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I think the upcoming contract extensions given to young players approaching free agency will be more of a reason Tretter might be replaced.

    Actually, I weighed that into my thinking.  Plus the fact that they drafted a guy who can play center last year.

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @orion said:

    Actually, I weighed that into my thinking.  Plus the fact that they drafted a guy who can play center last year.

    I need to see a lot more from Harris to hand him the job.

    I don’t get too excited about these Day 3 guys...These 5th, 6th and 7th round guys are lottery tickets.  The vast majority don’t make second contracts, the other group is depth and you get a few diamonds. 

    And We are talking about the Center position...the brain and the anchor of the line ...he’s gotta show more or Tretter gets another contract or we find another slightly more affordable player.  

  • @orion said:

    Actually, I weighed that into my thinking.  Plus the fact that they drafted a guy who can play center last year.

    I need to see a lot more from Harris to hand him the job.

    I don’t get too excited about these Day 3 guys...These 5th, 6th and 7th round guys are lottery tickets.  The vast majority don’t make second contracts, the other group is depth and you get a few diamonds. 

    And We are talking about the Center position...the brain and the anchor of the line ...he’s gotta show more or Tretter gets another contract or we find another slightly more affordable player.  

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @sdbacker80 said:

    We are talking about the Center position...the brain and the anchor of the line ...he’s gotta show more

    I hear ya!  Tretter got hurt last year and Harris had to play.  One game he did ok.  In another he got his ass handed to him.  And he's not a real big guy.

    But there's always this:  🙂

    ESPN College Football@ESPNCFB
    Have you ever seen a center with so much swag? 😎
  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #61

    Always interested in seeing what players look like after they've had a NFL offseason under their belt. 

    Some of those undersized rookies look like different men coming into their second season. 

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #62

     I like this thread ?  Let's say we keep all Brown'iacs Camp News all in one spot.. In moments.. I will add "rolls into Mandatory Camp" into this topic name...

    Keep your great post coming.... It still maybe a Phil Collins 'hit or miss' in this "Land of Confusion" of Mandatory Camps in 2021? And of course Uncle Covid ?.. But we'll try our best...

    Browns Mandatory Camp begins Tuesday through Thursday!   https://www.brownszone.com/2021/06/14/5-things-to-watch-at-minicamp-starting-with-the-return-of-odell-beckham-jr/

    https://www.cleveland.com/orange-and-brown-talk-podcast/2021/06/this-week-offers-our-best-look-at-the-2021-browns-yet.html

    si--- https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/cleveland-browns-minicamp-checklist

    For sure, Zegura will be keeping us updated live from the practice fields.. 

    Nathan Zegura

    That’s right….we are going to be LIVE from the field tomorrow and Wednesday for the @Browns Mandatory Minicamp! Only @Browns_Daily can bring you this close to the action...
     
     
    I still think Cleveland.com will have live on the field twitter updates..(free* we hope) ? And I'm not quite sure if Sports Time Ohio will delay televise? and I've seen no start times...
     
    So! Were off to a g00d old fashion start ?....Any updates are more than welcome...And I'll check for more in the morning...
     
    Edit-- saw nothing...the norm.. Every player/staff will get Covid checked..Injury updates and We may get players & Stef at the mic by 11am- noon'ish? 
     
  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #63

    Just heard on WKNR that the 1-3 pm show will be out on Berea on the field

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #64
    Brad Stainbrook@StainbrookNFL
    #Browns 2021 Mandatory Minicamp Schedule
    Tuesday June 15th: 2pm
    Wednesday June 16th: 2pm
    Thursday June 17th: 11:45 am
    Rotolytics@rotolytics
    Odell Beckham (knee) is going through early receiver drills without an apparent brace in the first day of the Browns' minicamp Tuesday, Zac Jackson of The Athletic reports.
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #65

    OBJ report on NOW on ESPN2.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #66

     2nd Christmas is happening in Berra...?

    Stories of Browns Mandatory Camp are breaking at a high rate... pick your favorite browns media provider.. and post away!

     Coach of the Year ?.. is a good Start 

    #2... https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/news-updates-anthony-walker-says-it-s-going-to-be-hard-for-wrs-to-make-catches-v

  • OBJ report on NOW on ESPN2.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #67

    @tour2ma said:

    OBJ report on NOW on ESPN2.

    If you did not see it, then you did not miss anything. A couple of day-old, sound bites from Landry (see any of a handful of articles for them) over footage from 2020.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Patient decisiveness?

    It's a thing.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #68

    @tiamat63 said:

    It's a thing.

    Patient decisiveness?

    @tiamat63  Is there such a term of Clowney maybe having "Patient defensive-ness".. or I just made that term up ?...

    Example A.... I want this Clowney's game... #wreck?

    Example B... Injury or maybe scheme? Did Vrabel assign Clowney to think run to edge containment 1st?...far before being a edge pass rushing threat?

    i get situational could help here..But

    I still see the guy, that can straight up ball ?...  when able ?

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/06/jadeveon-clowney-looks-fast-and-explosive-in-1st-browns-practice-and-1st-since-surgery-minicamp-takeaways.html

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #69

    For everyone who chooses to believe the lack of OBJ is why Baker did better in the second half of last season....

    .  Learning a new system is simply not easy.

  • For everyone who chooses to believe the lack of OBJ is why Baker did better in the second half of last season....

    .  Learning a new system is simply not easy.

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #70

    @unsympathetic said:

    For everyone who chooses to believe the lack of OBJ is why Baker did better in the second half of last season....

    .  Learning a new system is simply not easy.

    The answer is somewhere in the middle of learning a new offense vs. forcing the issue with a WR that needs/demands volume touches and truthfully it is hard to evaluate without a proper sample size. 

    Baker has credited the bye week and having a week to pause and evaluate his play and his play within Stefanski’s offense as a turning point.  Believable and plausible. 

    Yet, we have circumstances on the other side Obj gets hurt in the Cincy game and then Baker goes 22 for 23 and leads a game winning TD drive on a dime to a rookie WR.  And It appeared there was a concerted effort on some plays when OBJ was on the field last season to give him the ball rather than give what defense gives you ....whether that’s on the play caller or Baker I don’t know.  
     

    And I do feel that Baker was more relaxed knowing the offense but also knowing he didn’t have this imaginary target line 8-10 touches to OBJ. 
     

    I am not in the trade OBJ because he’s a detriment to the offense camp.  I believe the opposite and I believe that way because Baker appears to have turned the corner 2) he understands the offense better and trusts the player caller and 3) OBJ is still a legit talent that demands respect from defenses and he’s big play capable whenever he touches the ball.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    It's a thing.

    Patient decisiveness?

    @tiamat63  Is there such a term of Clowney maybe having "Patient defensive-ness".. or I just made that term up ?...

    Example A.... I want this Clowney's game... #wreck?

    Example B... Injury or maybe scheme? Did Vrabel assign Clowney to think run to edge containment 1st?...far before being a edge pass rushing threat?

    i get situational could help here..But

    I still see the guy, that can straight up ball ?...  when able ?

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/06/jadeveon-clowney-looks-fast-and-explosive-in-1st-browns-practice-and-1st-since-surgery-minicamp-takeaways.html

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #71