Skip to content

Is anyone impressed with Joe Woods?.. I'm NOT!!

The Browns Board
52 19 1.6k 1
  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #6

    are defense is so predictable  

  • are defense is so predictable  

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @atom said:

    are defense is so predictable  

    Our.. not are.. LOL But I agree... This prevent rubber band shit was never intended to be a base defense.. it was created just to run out out the last couple minutes of game clock and your up by an insurmountable score...

  • @atom said:

    are defense is so predictable  

    Our.. not are.. LOL But I agree... This prevent rubber band shit was never intended to be a base defense.. it was created just to run out out the last couple minutes of game clock and your up by an insurmountable score...

    ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @nickers said:

    Our.. not are.. LOL But I agree... This prevent rubber band shit was never intended to be a base defense.. it was created just to run out out the last couple minutes of game clock and your up by an insurmountable score...

    also i could have sworn i read that we would be a attacking style of defense and not to worry about mistakes so we could create turnovers 

    what happend to that woods ?

  • @nickers said:

    Our.. not are.. LOL But I agree... This prevent rubber band shit was never intended to be a base defense.. it was created just to run out out the last couple minutes of game clock and your up by an insurmountable score...

    also i could have sworn i read that we would be a attacking style of defense and not to worry about mistakes so we could create turnovers 

    what happend to that woods ?

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @atom said:

    also i could have sworn i read that we would be a attacking style of defense and not to worry about mistakes so we could create turnovers 

    what happend to that woods ?

    He lied and went into his shell.. I think his scheme blows... We're so passive its beyond predictable

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I’m pleased with the run defense so far. It’s only 2 games but it’s looking better than it has in years past. All l can figure with the pass defense is there’s still some kinks getting unkinked. 

  • 7 7moses7 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Joe Woods blows. 

  • Joe Woods blows. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @7moses7 said:

    Joe Woods blows. 

    Thank you!

  • M Marvin the Martian wrote on last edited by
    #13

    What's wrong?  Don't you recognize the 4-2-sieve pass defense?

  • What's wrong?  Don't you recognize the 4-2-sieve pass defense?

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @marvin-the-martian said:

    What's wrong?  Don't you recognize the 4-2-sieve pass defense?

    yes.. it sucks too..

  • @nickers said:

    Our.. not are.. LOL But I agree... This prevent rubber band shit was never intended to be a base defense.. it was created just to run out out the last couple minutes of game clock and your up by an insurmountable score...

    also i could have sworn i read that we would be a attacking style of defense and not to worry about mistakes so we could create turnovers 

    what happend to that woods ?

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @atom said:

    also i could have sworn i read that we would be a attacking style of defense and not to worry about mistakes so we could create turnovers 

    I recall that.  Hasn't really been the case yet this year.  We'll see if something happens this week against a new QB.

  • @atom said:

    also i could have sworn i read that we would be a attacking style of defense and not to worry about mistakes so we could create turnovers 

    I recall that.  Hasn't really been the case yet this year.  We'll see if something happens this week against a new QB.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @orion said:

    I recall that.  Hasn't really been the case yet this year.  We'll see if something happens this week against a new QB.

    I doubt it.. Woods reminds me of hue Jackass..

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Watching Carolina's D makes me envious. 

  • I've defended Woods a lot, because he didn't have the talent. Plain and simple.

    But, he does now.

    Maybe he can't start blitzing etc until the defense gells - to avoid crititical mistakes leading to quick scores.

    A lot of new faces, a few rookies and "rookies"....

    but if he doesn't start being aggressive soon - I think he needs an attitude adjustment you betcha.

    Interesting stats for 2020:

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/opp.htm

    Ravens and Steelers were #1 and #7 in blitzing. Browns were 26th.

    dammit.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @calfoxwc said:

    I've defended Woods a lot, because he didn't have the talent. Plain and simple.

    But, he does now.

    Does now is still "on paper", but he's the guy most responsible for seeing thar paper translate to tthe field, so yeah.... there with you now.

    Maybe OHIO teams are not supposed to have good DCs?

    I did find the Delpit blitz encouragingish....

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #19

    Couple weeks ago I took the time to break down the bomb to Tyreek Hill.  Watched the film, broke-down the coverage, the responsibilities, only thing I didn't bother touched were the run/gap fits because they weren't relevant to the point I was making.  I did all this to see if what I watched live and absorbed in real time was supported by going back and combing for further detail.

    Nuance...  It's a hell of word.   In my search, I found my initial observation to be spot on.  It was a freaky play.     

    I did the same with the Browns pass rush when watching the All-22.   Were they as below average as I had the "feeling"...?       Turns out, after viewing both games, my feeling was incorrect.  The pass rush was well above average and just unfortunate running into QB's that have the athletic ability to help mitigate or overcome the effects our Dline had been putting in. Pressure rates tend to eventually produce compound effects on a QB. Either with errant throws, questionable decisions or turnovers.  Rarely, if ever, does a team show little pressure rate then somehow produce turnovers.  I mentioned this in the Browns-HOU thread and how the Browns are a breath away from 2-0 and +2, +3 turnover margin.   I would think, after some years on this board, that I could be taken at my word on what/who I have and have not watched and that my evaluations tend to be both unbias and accurate.   Not saying I haven't been wrong, but I've gotten on base WAY more than I've struck out.

    I'm not a "fan" of Joe Woods.  But his designs held KC to 10 points in the first half, AT THEIR HOUSE.    A design Baltimore happily attempted to duplicate only to pull it off by the skin of their teeth at home.   Then, in the complete dismissal of a Texans squad with some decent talent (Tyrod, Cooks, Conley, Lindsay, Amendola, Miller, Tunsil) Browns fans have shifted into almost complete arrogance over the course of the 2018-2019 off-season that we should be blowing out these teams.    Winning by 10 against a team like Houston is a fine dub by any stretch, be it home or away.    However,  I understand Woods gameplans and the coverage structure in them to a significant degree.   

       I see calls for blitzing but not realizing that when this team was blitz happy, our pressure and sack rate didn't rise commensurately with it.    Quite the opposite, our total of explosive plays given up rose.    Supporting the idea that blitzing doesn't necessarily = success.   One of the problems with Gregg Williams ultra aggressive scheme - predictability as well.  The man would send additional rushers and get himself into trouble because, like Texas Hold 'Em, when you're rigid to only one strategy no matter what it is, that strategy can be exploited.  Another thing I see failed to address, blitzing young QB's tends to actually make their reads THAT much easier     The Belicheck approach of pressure early to create ghosts is one I'm a fan of, but I see no mention of that here.

    I see "scheme" tossed around a bit.  With NOBODY, save for maybe @sdbacker80, attempting or capable of digesting it further.

    Granted, it's at the most basic of levels with very generalized terminology... but at minimum it's a fucking attempt from him. 

    So you know what bothers me about this thread?  The lack of effort, more than anything really.   The lack of appreciation for detail and explanation.   Or maybe the lack of football I.Q?  But this is why, in a nutshell,  you see me respond so infrequently on this board.    A lot of what is said on here lacks substance and is just really a bunch of bitching.

    But if you guys want to talk "scheme" live and maybe not type it out so much, don't forget we have a Browns Board discord that will be live sunday.  Would love to hear your guys' thoughts as the game is played.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #20

    I'll just drop this in here...

    https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T  Woods defense sit's at #14 overall, going into game 3..? (Bengals lead AFCN, by a bunch) a click of the top stat line? will rearrange the teams rankings ^^

    youth playing..only returning starters Ward & Garrett & Harrison (some).. Jacob Phillips (speed) out 2 games/ Starting Mike backer played half of one..

    @gumby73 said:

    get out this lazy zone defense..if he dies..he dies

    nope...not a fan of bend & break zone coverage.. but we are not the only team struggling in pass coverage early

    we have the Bears & Vikings to get better next... LAC/Zona/Denver/Pitt next 4 ?... we better get better ? & stay healthy ?

    Edit-- believe this.. Wood's practice's include press coverage against some of the best wide outs/TE's in the game

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #21

    We Arent confusing a lot of QBs- so far we’ve face the best, one middle of the road guy and another guy that’s a low end backup.

     The first read is there- they take it- and we are struggling on 3rd down. Not alot of Mixing coverages or sending an inside corner or a safety on a blitz.   (Pre-snap confusion).  We get the QB off of the first read we are winning some of these one on one battles upfront and getting sacks - because we are close. My guess is we do well this week…better here based upon the matchup. 

    We are seemingly in same predicament as last year bend don’t break basic stuff hope for Myles to make a play and or get a turnover or the offense fails to execute.  Not a terrible strategy if you have Robert Jackson, Sendejo, Mack Wilson types. 

  • I'll just drop this in here...

    https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T  Woods defense sit's at #14 overall, going into game 3..? (Bengals lead AFCN, by a bunch) a click of the top stat line? will rearrange the teams rankings ^^

    youth playing..only returning starters Ward & Garrett & Harrison (some).. Jacob Phillips (speed) out 2 games/ Starting Mike backer played half of one..

    @gumby73 said:

    get out this lazy zone defense..if he dies..he dies

    nope...not a fan of bend & break zone coverage.. but we are not the only team struggling in pass coverage early

    we have the Bears & Vikings to get better next... LAC/Zona/Denver/Pitt next 4 ?... we better get better ? & stay healthy ?

    Edit-- believe this.. Wood's practice's include press coverage against some of the best wide outs/TE's in the game

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @gumby73 said:

    I'll just drop this in here...

    https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T  Woods defense sit's at #14 overall, going into game 3..? (Bengals lead AFCN, by a bunch)

    youth playing..only returning starters Ward & Garrett & Harrison (some).. Jacob Phillips (speed) out 2 games/ Starting Mike backer played half of one..

    nope...not a fan of bend & break zone coverage.. but we are not the only team struggling in pass coverage early

    we have the Bears & Vikings to get better next... LAC/Zona/Denver/Pitt next 4 ?... we better get better ? & stay healthy ?

    Edit-- believe this.. Wood's practice's include press coverage against some of the best wide outs/TE's in the game

    The three lowest scored members of the defense according to PFF- any guesses?

    Ward ….45.4

    Troy Hill…48.3

    and 

    John Johnson…42.4

    are they losing it? If not, why can’t we get the best out of these three? Are they in the right scheme?

  • @gumby73 said:

    I'll just drop this in here...

    https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T  Woods defense sit's at #14 overall, going into game 3..? (Bengals lead AFCN, by a bunch)

    youth playing..only returning starters Ward & Garrett & Harrison (some).. Jacob Phillips (speed) out 2 games/ Starting Mike backer played half of one..

    nope...not a fan of bend & break zone coverage.. but we are not the only team struggling in pass coverage early

    we have the Bears & Vikings to get better next... LAC/Zona/Denver/Pitt next 4 ?... we better get better ? & stay healthy ?

    Edit-- believe this.. Wood's practice's include press coverage against some of the best wide outs/TE's in the game

    The three lowest scored members of the defense according to PFF- any guesses?

    Ward ….45.4

    Troy Hill…48.3

    and 

    John Johnson…42.4

    are they losing it? If not, why can’t we get the best out of these three? Are they in the right scheme?

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #23

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Ward ….45.4

    Troy Hill…48.3

    and 

    John Johnson…42.4

    are they losing it? If not, why can’t we get the best out of these three? Are they in the right scheme?

     never impressed with PFF score's nor scoring system... It's what my eyes can tell me... and that's..

    Joe Woods defensive looks, are to damn predictable... answers? mix up the looks... and studs like Garrett/Clowney, will not be studs, being asked to drop in coverage ?   

    The master mind of defense, (Belicheck) coaches to play both fronts..4-3 & 3-4.. we have guys on this team coming from base 3-4's.. Two Malik's & Andrew Billings sure looks like he could anchor a Nose.. betting The Browns rarely practice against a 3-4 front..

    Well,, da Bears will walk in here Sunday with 3 man fronts & 4 LB'ers across the middle to take away the dink's & dumps.. Baker's eyes needs to locate K.Mack pre-snap.. our good running game, has to open up the play action passing game, big time this sunday.. than go win the wear down 4th quarter

    I realize, Woods defense is to banged up at LB to give this look a fair chance... But,  if Justin Fields start's reading LB'ers names on the back of our Jersey's? Fields will out gain Montgomery this week 

    I can deal with Wood's game-plan week one.  Against the Texans? a Solid D verse T.Taylor.. including waiting to long on sending Hill & Delpit against a Rookie QB..  

    Warden / Hill / JJ3 need to play like the backbone to this defense... while the ball needs to be forced out of QB's hands in under 4 seconds to give them a fair chance to be graded..

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/cleveland-browns-justin-fields--171539916/

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #24

    https://www.brownsnation.com/kevin-stefanski-has-request-for-sundays-browns-fans/

    "To begin with, he needs defensive coordinator Joe Woods to call a different game with man-to-man coverage and blitzing packages to rush Fields.

    Joe Woods has a great opportunity this week is get rid of some of the hate.

    You have a rookie Quarterback making his NFL debut at home. You cannot let him look good. #Browns"

    **********************************************************************

    Time to step it up aggression-wise - don't be a predictable defense. Don't leave big plays wide open in the process, sure.

  • https://www.brownsnation.com/kevin-stefanski-has-request-for-sundays-browns-fans/

    "To begin with, he needs defensive coordinator Joe Woods to call a different game with man-to-man coverage and blitzing packages to rush Fields.

    Joe Woods has a great opportunity this week is get rid of some of the hate.

    You have a rookie Quarterback making his NFL debut at home. You cannot let him look good. #Browns"

    **********************************************************************

    Time to step it up aggression-wise - don't be a predictable defense. Don't leave big plays wide open in the process, sure.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @calfoxwc said:

    https://www.brownsnation.com/kevin-stefanski-has-request-for-sundays-browns-fans/

    "To begin with, he needs defensive coordinator Joe Woods to call a different game with man-to-man coverage and blitzing packages to rush Fields.

    Joe Woods has a great opportunity this week is get rid of some of the hate.

    You have a rookie Quarterback making his NFL debut at home. You cannot let him look good. #Browns"

    **********************************************************************

    Time to step it up aggression-wise - don't be a predictable defense. Don't leave big plays wide open in the process, sure.

    I'm more anxious to see what this ass hat calls against a running midget like Kyler Murray... He's basically Tyrod Taylor with a better skill set...