Skip to content

Baker and OBJ

The Browns Board
60 21 2.2k 1
  • Not a coincidence, well one because I don't believe in them. Baker had mvp type stats once OBJ goes out last year. First two games this season, baker 80% completion, decisive in the pocket. OBJ cones back, Baker holding on to the ball, not as crisp, and undecisive. He's better without OBJ.

    @luke8878 said:

    Not a coincidence, well one because I don't believe in them. Baker had mvp type stats once OBJ goes out last year. First two games this season, baker 80% completion, decisive in the pocket. OBJ cones back, Baker holding on to the ball, not as crisp, and undecisive. He's better without OBJ.

    More importantly, how is a coincidence something that someone does or does not believe in? It’s just a word with a definition describing an uncanny set circumstances.

    That’s like me saying l don’t believe in muffins. 

    Would you like a muffin?

    No, l don’t believe in those. But l’ll take one of those unnamed circular shaped sweetened bread products. 

  • There's a reason why Baker has a QB rating of 96.9, 2171 passing yard, 11 TD's and 1 pick last year when OBJ was out. 

  • There's a reason why Baker has a QB rating of 96.9, 2171 passing yard, 11 TD's and 1 pick last year when OBJ was out. 

    @luke8878 said:

    There's a reason why Baker has a QB rating of 96.9, 2171 passing yard, 11 TD's and 1 pick last year when OBJ was out. 

    QBR is a pretty poor metric when broken down.

    You asked for some evidence to disprove your notion, despite you making the claim.  I've provided that. The least you can do is digest it and come back with a thought-out response.

  • Tia, you've proved your point. Like so many arguments this year, the person who clearly has substantial evidence on their side is trying to be drowned out by someone who "feels" a certain way instead. It sucks, but it's not even worth engaging further. I'm assuming they did their own research, though.

  • Tia, you've proved your point. Like so many arguments this year, the person who clearly has substantial evidence on their side is trying to be drowned out by someone who "feels" a certain way instead. It sucks, but it's not even worth engaging further. I'm assuming they did their own research, though.

    @jrb12711 said:

    Tia, you've proved your point. Like so many arguments this year, the person who clearly has substantial evidence on their side is trying to be drowned out by someone who "feels" a certain way instead. It sucks, but it's not even worth engaging further. I'm assuming they did their own research, though.

    You're assuming too much. 

    Baker and OBJ haven't been playing together consistently, due to the injuries of the later, hence they don't have chemistry. But yesterday it was all on Baker, who missed everyone in the second half. 

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Tia, you've proved your point. Like so many arguments this year, the person who clearly has substantial evidence on their side is trying to be drowned out by someone who "feels" a certain way instead. It sucks, but it's not even worth engaging further. I'm assuming they did their own research, though.

    You're assuming too much. 

    Baker and OBJ haven't been playing together consistently, due to the injuries of the later, hence they don't have chemistry. But yesterday it was all on Baker, who missed everyone in the second half. 

    @nero said:

    You're assuming too much. 

    Baker and OBJ haven't been playing together consistently, due to the injuries of the later, hence they don't have chemistry. But yesterday it was all on Baker, who missed everyone in the second half. 

    I believe JRB is agreeing with your assessment here, not disagreeing. 

  • @nero said:

    You're assuming too much. 

    Baker and OBJ haven't been playing together consistently, due to the injuries of the later, hence they don't have chemistry. But yesterday it was all on Baker, who missed everyone in the second half. 

    I believe JRB is agreeing with your assessment here, not disagreeing. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    I believe JRB is agreeing with your assessment here, not disagreeing. 

    He is, but he is also assuming that those who simply fart out that "Baker is better off without OBJ" did their own research. Which I find to be questionable to say the least. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I believe JRB is agreeing with your assessment here, not disagreeing. 

    He is, but he is also assuming that those who simply fart out that "Baker is better off without OBJ" did their own research. Which I find to be questionable to say the least. 

    @nero said:

    He is, but he is also assuming that those who simply fart out that "Baker is better off without OBJ" did their own research. Which I find to be questionable to say the least. 

    While it may be true at the face value of a stat line, the further dive leads us the opposite direction.  So at that point we come to a cross-roads on agreeing just where the line of reality is drawn.

    Baker performed better without Odell. He also faced some questionable defenses, adjusted route combinations, rode the Chubb-Hunt train and Baker forced himself to play better within the structure of the offense.  Not trying to create on his own without necessity. 

    He is about as "protected" as an NFL QB gets.  Between the Oline, the running game, receivers and offensive design.  

    Then towards the later parts of the season - Ravens and chiefs, we saw just how valuable a player like Odell would have been to some degree. Even if Baker doesn't hit him.    Which, IMHO, is like having a Ferrari but only being able to drive it during rush how.  Baker has to get the ball to our WR's ...at EVERY level of the field. 

  • There's a reason why Baker has a QB rating of 96.9, 2171 passing yard, 11 TD's and 1 pick last year when OBJ was out. 

    @luke8878 said:

    There's a reason why Baker has a QB rating of 96.9, 2171 passing yard, 11 TD's and 1 pick last year when OBJ was out. 

    its a baker mayfield problem not an OBJ problem.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I believe JRB is agreeing with your assessment here, not disagreeing. 

    He is, but he is also assuming that those who simply fart out that "Baker is better off without OBJ" did their own research. Which I find to be questionable to say the least. 

    @nero said:

    He is, but he is also assuming that those who simply fart out that "Baker is better off without OBJ" did their own research. Which I find to be questionable to say the least. 

    To be sure, I meant that extremely sarcastically a la the world around us. 

  • @nero said:

    He is, but he is also assuming that those who simply fart out that "Baker is better off without OBJ" did their own research. Which I find to be questionable to say the least. 

    To be sure, I meant that extremely sarcastically a la the world around us. 

    @jrb12711 said:

    To be sure, I meant that extremely sarcastically a la the world around us. 

    Then I misunderstood the sarcasm, my bad. 

  • Articulate how this is a stupid ass thread. I can go through each game with and without OBJ, and there is a drastic difference in Baker's performance. I mean if you can explain the night and day difference of Baker, be my guest.

    @luke8878 said:

    Articulate how this is a stupid ass thread. I can go through each game with and without OBJ, and there is a drastic difference in Baker's performance. I mean if you can explain the night and day difference of Baker, be my guest.

    pay no attention to that man behind the curtain....he's a fucking moron.....and he should be deleted from this board....

  • @luke8878 said:

    Articulate how this is a stupid ass thread. I can go through each game with and without OBJ, and there is a drastic difference in Baker's performance. I mean if you can explain the night and day difference of Baker, be my guest.

    pay no attention to that man behind the curtain....he's a fucking moron.....and he should be deleted from this board....

    @browns52 said:

    pay no attention to that man behind the curtain....he's a fucking moron.....and he should be deleted from this board....

    Nah, he's entitled to his opinion, even if it's wrong. Others have said the same. Thinking Baker suddenly turns into a Halloween pumpkin just because OBJ  is on the field is a gross oversimplification. 

  • How many games have we lost when Baker/OBJ are both playing?

  • Baker is average at best as a NFL starting QB.

  • Baker is average at best as a NFL starting QB.

    @falcon7 said:

    Baker is average at best as a NFL starting QB.

    Ahh an Average QB that led us to 11-5 and a trip to the playoffs.. Stop while you're barely ahead...

  • How many games have we lost when Baker/OBJ are both playing?

    @comeonman said:

    How many games have we lost when Baker/OBJ are both playing?

    FWIW...

    Image  

    @eastsidedawg said:

    its a baker mayfield problem not an OBJ problem.

    agreed! Baker targeted 9 different receivers Sunday..Higgins & OBJ both saw 7 to lead team..  Like Baker, we miss not seeing Landry in those huddles on Sunday's 

  • I think we can all agree with gumby that the One True Problem with this offense has always been Landry.

    It's almost never true that a person is a problem. It actually shows that the person/account/sockpuppet doing the asserting of a "person" being a problem is themselves not interested in diving deep enough to discover the actual problem for any of a number of reasons.  Are they too lazy? Do they already have the solution in mind and are working backwards to support their conclusion?

    In order to determine a solution, first we have to agree on what the problem is that we're trying to solve ---- and in EVERY SINGLE ONE of these stupid OBJ/Baker threads, "the issue" is ever-changing.. much like trying to pin jello to a wall.

    *Why are we certain we've reached the root cause? Have you asked the reason "why" to drive to root cause enough?

    [EX: Why does Baker lock in? Because of pressure. So.. Why is there pressure? Because of Wills' sprained ankle. So.. Why is Wills still playing when he has a sprained ankle?   See how we got to the "root" cause being Wills in this line of thinking?  That's not the only potential root.]

    *What are all the potential root causes that have been identified?

    Next, data.

    *What's the data to include?  How do we know we're looking at everything? Is there anything more that could be included?

    *How many people have you talked to so that you can be sure you're including all the possible ways to look at that data?

    *what are ALL the possible ways that data can be analyzed?  This does, in fact, ask the methodology to use.

    Note that we still haven't even proposed a solution.  Still analyzing.

    Now that we've done ALL of this, ONLY NOW do we even start trying to combine data with those potential root causes... And this is done so that your data addresses and solves the ACTUAL underlying problem.  It should not shock anyone that the tendency of People Who Think They're Smart to jump right to the solution because They Just Know is... More often than not simply wrong.

  • Can we start a Baker/Harrison Bryant thread too?  He’s missed two cupcakes to Bryant in the past two weeks.   Maybe there are chemistry issues there too? 


    Look no further than here…You would have a hard time finding a better situation for a QB right now.  
     

    1. Great play caller

    2. QB friendly scheme

    3. Running game to support the offense

    4 Elite Offensive line to protect.

    5. Diverse skill sets with pass catchers (possession, top busters, big bodied TEs, the best pass catching screen running back in the NFL).

  • Everyone here has a excellent view/point/opinion/facts that support their beliefs. The thought Baker was better off without OBJ crept into my head past year, but I really didn't over analyze it. But after the first 2 games this year without OBJ and 2 games with him, there is a difference in Baker's play when OBJ is out there. I don't have a clue as to what causes it, I'll admit to that, I just notice a unsure/indecisive Baker. I'm  not saying get rid of Baker, he sucks, just a observation he is a different QB with OBJ.