Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
1.1k 68 53.7k 1
  • @texasag1969 said:

    No fair using stats against stats on this board. Applies double on the poliboard.

    Haha yeah I'm noticing that. If you counter the insanity with rational thought to some of the village idiots on here, you are met with immediate scorn.

    @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    Haha yeah I'm noticing that. If you counter the insanity with rational thought to some of the village idiots on here, you are met with immediate scorn.

    Village idiots here? Say it ain't so!!?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    No fair using stats against stats on this board. Applies double on the poliboard.

    Haha yeah I'm noticing that. If you counter the insanity with rational thought to some of the village idiots on here, you are met with immediate scorn.

    @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    Haha yeah I'm noticing that. If you counter the insanity with rational thought to some of the village idiots on here, you are met with immediate scorn.

    The nice thing is, some of them kind of "self-identify" by using communist-themed profile pics, so at least you can see them coming. ?

  • @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    Haha yeah I'm noticing that. If you counter the insanity with rational thought to some of the village idiots on here, you are met with immediate scorn.

    The nice thing is, some of them kind of "self-identify" by using communist-themed profile pics, so at least you can see them coming. ?

    @dutch-oven said:

     some of them kind of "self-identify" by using communist-themed profile pics, so at least you can see them coming. ?

    r37OHrvkhX0V6iSub4.gif     ?     

  • @atom said:

    o.k so who who gonna get to replace him ?

    ...and so this is the $64k question.  But it's possible that the whole problem is more than just Baker.  Perhaps part of it has to do with our offensive passing scheme...which of course is Stef's baby.  We know that OBJ was not very productive here.  Is it all on Baker?  I wish that I could ask OBJ why he just absolutely had to leave a pretty successful team (at the time of his departure we were still thought to be) right in the middle of the season.

    @orion said:

    Is it all on Baker?  I wish that I could ask OBJ why he just absolutely had to leave a pretty successful team (at the time of his departure we were still thought to be) right in the middle of the season.

    I say if you can’t ask OBJ ask his Father. I’m sure he’ll elaborate, possibly with video ?

  • Opinions aside, Baker will be the Browns QB next season. Deal with it.

  • @orion said:

    Is it all on Baker?  I wish that I could ask OBJ why he just absolutely had to leave a pretty successful team (at the time of his departure we were still thought to be) right in the middle of the season.

    I say if you can’t ask OBJ ask his Father. I’m sure he’ll elaborate, possibly with video ?

    @furious-styles said:

    I say if you can’t ask OBJ ask his Father. I’m sure he’ll elaborate, possibly with video ?

    The screenshot rolling around on the twittersphere and Instagram of Odell being "open" against San Diego was the lead off on his fathers clip.

    Somewhere in this thread I broke down how that really wasn't Bakers "fault" given the play design vs what the bolts defense was showing.   However Baker isn't completely absolved from that play. My breakdown was fair.

    It only highlighted how few people actually apply context and have the ability to do the work for themselves to find the answers. Or worse, how few people are willing to do it. The overwhelming majority will see something and align wherever their disposition previously held.   

    I trust odells dads video like I trust an arsonist watching my home.

  • @orion said:

    ...and so this is the $64k question.  But it's possible that the whole problem is more than just Baker.  Perhaps part of it has to do with our offensive passing scheme...which of course is Stef's baby.  We know that OBJ was not very productive here.  Is it all on Baker?  I wish that I could ask OBJ why he just absolutely had to leave a pretty successful team (at the time of his departure we were still thought to be) right in the middle of the season.

    This reminded me of something I read a few years ago about Stefanski's time as OC in Minnesota. I did some digging and came up with this article from 2020 about why Stefon Diggs decided to leave the Vikings:

     Stefon Diggs finally admits why he wanted out of Minnesota

    "Minnesota finished with the second-most rushing attempts in 2017 when they went 13-3 and made it all the way to the NFC Championship. Then the Vikings offense got pass-happy under new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo in 2018 and Zimmer made it clear multiple times throughout the season that he wanted the team to run the ball more like they did in 2017.

    DeFilippo didn’t listen to Minnesota’s head coach and it resulted in him getting fired before the 2018 season even ended.

    Then Zimmer made Kevin Stefanski his offensive coordinator and the Vikings brought in Gary Kubiak to be an offensive adviser. Kubiak’s offensive scheme is known for its zone-blocking rushing attack and Minnesota wanted to implement his methods into their offense".

    What struck me is the similarities between Diggs' criticism of the Vikings offensive scheme under Stefanski and OBJ and Co's critique of Stefanski as HC of the Browns. Stefanski is a disciple of Kubiak's system, so he priorities the running game over the passing game, perhaps to the detriment of the latter. It's all well and good to establish the run to help set up the passing game, but - to me at least - Stefanski relies too much on the running game and does not have a good enough passing game plan to compensate if that run game is shut down by opposing D's. Perhaps we don't have the personnel at WR to help stretch the field, but when you see that OBJ's performance in the final half of the 2021 season exceeded his production for the past year and a half with the Browns, barring injuries, it gets harder to blame OBJ being a diva as the sole reason for his lack of production with the Browns.

    @jbluhm86 said:

    This reminded me of something I read a few years ago about Stefanski's time as OC in Minnesota. I did some digging and came up with this article from 2020 about why Stefon Diggs decided to leave the Vikings:

     Stefon Diggs finally admits why he wanted out of Minnesota

    "Minnesota finished with the second-most rushing attempts in 2017 when they went 13-3 and made it all the way to the NFC Championship. Then the Vikings offense got pass-happy under new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo in 2018 and Zimmer made it clear multiple times throughout the season that he wanted the team to run the ball more like they did in 2017.

    DeFilippo didn’t listen to Minnesota’s head coach and it resulted in him getting fired before the 2018 season even ended.

    Then Zimmer made Kevin Stefanski his offensive coordinator and the Vikings brought in Gary Kubiak to be an offensive adviser. Kubiak’s offensive scheme is known for its zone-blocking rushing attack and Minnesota wanted to implement his methods into their offense".

    What struck me is the similarities between Diggs' criticism of the Vikings offensive scheme under Stefanski and OBJ and Co's critique of Stefanski as HC of the Browns. Stefanski is a disciple of Kubiak's system, so he priorities the running game over the passing game, perhaps to the detriment of the latter. It's all well and good to establish the run to help set up the passing game, but - to me at least - Stefanski relies too much on the running game and does not have a good enough passing game plan to compensate if that run game is shut down by opposing D's. Perhaps we don't have the personnel at WR to help stretch the field, but when you see that OBJ's performance in the final half of the 2021 season exceeded his production for the past year and a half with the Browns, barring injuries, it gets harder to blame OBJ being a diva as the sole reason for his lack of production with the Browns.

    Nice job with that!  A little history on it, former Denver HC Mike Shanahan was the first coach to adopt the zone blocking schemes of Alex Gibbs (where Kubiak worked under Shanahan). Gibbs actually got this from Cincy OL Coach Jim McNally in the late 80s.  Denver won 2 Superbowls with in the 90s with it; and there were never any issues with getting passes to Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey in that offense.  The only thing that diluted their numbers were all the favorable matchups TE Shannon Sharpe exploited downfield.  Meatball on spaghetti, they had Terrell Davis putting up elite numbers rushing and scoring.  

    The reason for all that, if you get all the right people in place - there's no reason you can't attack with your WRs.  Kyle Shanahan's favorite toy looks like Deebo Samuel while pretty much anyone he puts in at RB seems to be productive (including Samuel sometimes).

    Here's a little video for anyone interested:

  • @atom said:

    o.k so who who gonna get to replace him ?

    ...and so this is the $64k question.  But it's possible that the whole problem is more than just Baker.  Perhaps part of it has to do with our offensive passing scheme...which of course is Stef's baby.  We know that OBJ was not very productive here.  Is it all on Baker?  I wish that I could ask OBJ why he just absolutely had to leave a pretty successful team (at the time of his departure we were still thought to be) right in the middle of the season.

    @orion said:

    ...and so this is the $64k question.  But it's possible that the whole problem is more than just Baker.  Perhaps part of it has to do with our offensive passing scheme...which of course is Stef's baby.  We know that OBJ was not very productive here.  Is it all on Baker?  I wish that I could ask OBJ why he just absolutely had to leave a pretty successful team (at the time of his departure we were still thought to be) right in the middle of the season.

    do ya think being that obj is  A #2 in l.a has anything to do with it

  • @orion said:

    ...and so this is the $64k question.  But it's possible that the whole problem is more than just Baker.  Perhaps part of it has to do with our offensive passing scheme...which of course is Stef's baby.  We know that OBJ was not very productive here.  Is it all on Baker?  I wish that I could ask OBJ why he just absolutely had to leave a pretty successful team (at the time of his departure we were still thought to be) right in the middle of the season.

    do ya think being that obj is  A #2 in l.a has anything to do with it

    @atom said:

    do ya think being that obj is  A #2 in l.a has anything to do with it

    Actually no, I don't think anything that OBJ is doing now matters regarding why we couldn't get him the ball...and/or why our passing game was a flop in 2021.  I would just love to know what he thought about the whole thing and why wanted out so badly.  I'm sure Berry knows, because he talked with him at the time....but Berry won't talk.  I even tried water-boarding on him.  🙂

  • @atom said:

    do ya think being that obj is  A #2 in l.a has anything to do with it

    Actually no, I don't think anything that OBJ is doing now matters regarding why we couldn't get him the ball...and/or why our passing game was a flop in 2021.  I would just love to know what he thought about the whole thing and why wanted out so badly.  I'm sure Berry knows, because he talked with him at the time....but Berry won't talk.  I even tried water-boarding on him.  🙂

    @orion said:

    I would just love to know what he thought about the whole thing and why wanted out so badly.  I'm sure Berry knows, because he talked with him at the time....but Berry won't talk.  I even tried water-boarding on him.  🙂

    I do know OBJ gave up guarantee'd money to leave.. Rare in the NFL..

    Cabot alert ?.. But....I've read other reporters stating this same statement.. Confused since..

    A source told cleveland.com that Beckham asked to be traded multiple times, including in the offseason when he was coming off surgery to repair a torn ACL. He asked again after the Steelers game, which cleveland.com has reported multiple times, in which he caught one pass for 6 yards..

    here's Cabot's 1st gibber-jab...     https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/11/browns-to-release-odell-beckham-jr-friday-as-soon-as-the-financial-deal-is-reached-after-steelers-game-was-the-last-straw-for-his-camp-source-says.html

    OBJ was timely added to the Rams roster after their true WR1 Robert Woods went down for the year.. Woods was having a good season..   

  • @atom said:

    do ya think being that obj is  A #2 in l.a has anything to do with it

    Actually no, I don't think anything that OBJ is doing now matters regarding why we couldn't get him the ball...and/or why our passing game was a flop in 2021.  I would just love to know what he thought about the whole thing and why wanted out so badly.  I'm sure Berry knows, because he talked with him at the time....but Berry won't talk.  I even tried water-boarding on him.  🙂

    @orion said:

    I would just love to know what he thought about the whole thing and why wanted out so badly.  I'm sure Berry knows, because he talked with him at the time....but Berry won't talk.  I even tried water-boarding on him.  🙂

    1. OBJ is a big city/big stage guy. He's a guy who loves the spotlight. New York is the biggest stage. Los Angeles is Hollywood. He ended up being traded to Cleveland. 

    2. This is not a dynamic passing offense. It's not how Stefanski's offense is set up.

    3. Baker Mayfield is not a dynamic passer. He can be a successful QB in Stefanski's offense, but he's not going to put up Madden numbers, thus, his WRs aren't going to put up big numbers. 

  • Fuck AB,,,, err, I mean OBJ

  • @orion said:

    I would just love to know what he thought about the whole thing and why wanted out so badly.  I'm sure Berry knows, because he talked with him at the time....but Berry won't talk.  I even tried water-boarding on him.  🙂

    1. OBJ is a big city/big stage guy. He's a guy who loves the spotlight. New York is the biggest stage. Los Angeles is Hollywood. He ended up being traded to Cleveland. 

    2. This is not a dynamic passing offense. It's not how Stefanski's offense is set up.

    3. Baker Mayfield is not a dynamic passer. He can be a successful QB in Stefanski's offense, but he's not going to put up Madden numbers, thus, his WRs aren't going to put up big numbers. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    1. OBJ is a big city/big stage guy. He's a guy who loves the spotlight. New York is the biggest stage. Los Angeles is Hollywood. He ended up being traded to Cleveland. 

    2. This is not a dynamic passing offense. It's not how Stefanski's offense is set up.

    3. Baker Mayfield is not a dynamic passer. He can be a successful QB in Stefanski's offense, but he's not going to put up Madden numbers, thus, his WRs aren't going to put up big numbers. 

    I 100% agree on all points.  But we HAVE to have the ability to be a dynamic passing team.  We play in the NFL...and it's always been all about the QB. (a smart guy once said that...or was it a smart ass?)  🙂

  • Given the number of snaps Stef apparently wants to call using 5WR, yards should flow like water.

    Let's start with completing the pass before we worry about the YAC, though.  Perhaps if the WR group were as athletic as Ohio State's backups, we'd have a shot at more than a 3 yard dumpoff and a cloud of fieldturf pellets. 

    As a comparison, Jordan Love gets the ball out quickly and usually makes the right decision -- as we saw, he's had some accuracy issues even with the right read.

  • seriously some of you people must be brain damaged who the hell are you going to get to replace baker ?

    @atom said:

    seriously some of you people must be brain damaged who the hell are you going to get to replace baker ?

    I'd give Russ Wilson and Rodgers the start right away but they're the only two in the NFL that you might be able to make a play for. Anyone else is either not leaving their team for any price or not worth trading up for. 

  • @atom said:

    seriously some of you people must be brain damaged who the hell are you going to get to replace baker ?

    I'd give Russ Wilson and Rodgers the start right away but they're the only two in the NFL that you might be able to make a play for. Anyone else is either not leaving their team for any price or not worth trading up for. 

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I'd give Russ Wilson and Rodgers the start right away but they're the only two in the NFL that you might be able to make a play for. Anyone else is either not leaving their team for any price or not worth trading up for. 

    Not to mention we would be in competition with Shittsburgh for a FA QB in the AFCN.

  • They're going to keep Baker. I don't think there's any chance of Cleveland landing Rodgers or Wilson. Maybe they get Carr and he outright starts over Baker. Otherwise, they're going to get Cousins or Trubisky or draft a mid round QB to push him. 

    Baker's career as a starting QB might be over. We will know after he takes his first big hit and if he gets up with confidence or continues to see ghosts. 

  • They're going to keep Baker. I don't think there's any chance of Cleveland landing Rodgers or Wilson. Maybe they get Carr and he outright starts over Baker. Otherwise, they're going to get Cousins or Trubisky or draft a mid round QB to push him. 

    Baker's career as a starting QB might be over. We will know after he takes his first big hit and if he gets up with confidence or continues to see ghosts. 

    @vaportrail said:

    They're going to keep Baker. I don't think there's any chance of Cleveland landing Rodgers or Wilson. Maybe they get Carr and he outright starts over Baker. Otherwise, they're going to get Cousins or Trubisky or draft a mid round QB to push him. 

    Baker's career as a starting QB might be over. We will know after he takes his first big hit and if he gets up with confidence or continues to see ghosts. 

    Depending on how the coach situation pans out, if the Browns could swap Carr for Mayfield + a pick I'd do that in a heartbeat. I think Carr is everything this offense wants and needs and quietly has clutch in his career. If I'm Berry and that's an option, it's a no brainer for me. 

  • @vaportrail said:

    They're going to keep Baker. I don't think there's any chance of Cleveland landing Rodgers or Wilson. Maybe they get Carr and he outright starts over Baker. Otherwise, they're going to get Cousins or Trubisky or draft a mid round QB to push him. 

    Baker's career as a starting QB might be over. We will know after he takes his first big hit and if he gets up with confidence or continues to see ghosts. 

    Depending on how the coach situation pans out, if the Browns could swap Carr for Mayfield + a pick I'd do that in a heartbeat. I think Carr is everything this offense wants and needs and quietly has clutch in his career. If I'm Berry and that's an option, it's a no brainer for me. 

    @jrb12711 said:

    Depending on how the coach situation pans out, if the Browns could swap Carr for Mayfield + a pick I'd do that in a heartbeat. I think Carr is everything this offense wants and needs and quietly has clutch in his career. If I'm Berry and that's an option, it's a no brainer for me. 

    Baker seems irrelevant to the trade lol. Who's going to want him coming off injury and after the year he had?

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Depending on how the coach situation pans out, if the Browns could swap Carr for Mayfield + a pick I'd do that in a heartbeat. I think Carr is everything this offense wants and needs and quietly has clutch in his career. If I'm Berry and that's an option, it's a no brainer for me. 

    Baker seems irrelevant to the trade lol. Who's going to want him coming off injury and after the year he had?

    @vaportrail said:

    Baker seems irrelevant to the trade lol. Who's going to want him coming off injury and after the year he had?

    the same reason Goff went to the Lions, my man. If it wasn't clear, I'm saying the Browns would also have to throw in pick(s) on top of trading Mayfield. In this scenario, the team wouldn't keep Mayfield as back-up. That would be plain dumb.

    Some team is always going to take a chance on a top pick who had at least some high caliber film on tape (Carson Wentz, for example). This situation isn't the same, but I'd say that Wentz was literally at the same place Mayfield is now in terms of "does he still have it" and look what the Colts gave up. Granted, Wentz strong season was better than any of Mayfield's, but the situation is very comparable.