Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
1.1k 68 53.8k 1
  • “No one better say anything bad about Baker Mayfield after this game,” she (Emily Mayfield) wrote in a since-deleted Instagram post, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. “I don’t think I have seen toughness like this in a while. Maybe the rest our team should take the hint and get tougher.”

     
  • “No one better say anything bad about Baker Mayfield after this game,” she (Emily Mayfield) wrote in a since-deleted Instagram post, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. “I don’t think I have seen toughness like this in a while. Maybe the rest our team should take the hint and get tougher.”

     

    @dutch-oven said:

    “No one better say anything bad about Baker Mayfield after this game,” she (Emily Mayfield) wrote in a since-deleted Instagram post, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. “I don’t think I have seen toughness like this in a while. Maybe the rest our team should take the hint and get tougher.”

     

    Emily- go kiss his boo-boos and make them feel better tonight.... 

    Maybe Baker should go to the Coach and say... I'm playing like shit?  (because I'm hurt) And Stef needs to take his helmet away. 

    Monte Python's Black Knight without any legs.   

  • The NFL.com take....  

    Maker Bayfield...  has reached a new low in his NFL career. Mayfield is clearly injured, yet he insists on gutting out his multiple ailments, and Kevin Stefanski is abiding to the detriment of his offense. Mayfield was again dreadful, completing 15 of 29 passes for 176 yards, one touchdown (a short pass in the flats to Chubb) and two interceptions. Many of his incompletions were to open receivers Mayfield simply missed, the interceptions were typically ugly, and the plays in between inspired so little confidence in Cleveland's offense as it currently exists, Browns fans rained boos down on the field -- while winning the game. Gone are the days of Stefanski's sharp, balanced and unpredictable attack. In its place is an offense stuck in 5 feet of mud with a banged-up quarterback trying to pull them out of it. Folks wearing brown and orange are seriously considering a future without Mayfield, who looks nothing like the quarterback who helped Cleveland win a playoff game last year. It's tough to evaluate him because of his injuries, but it's even more difficult to understand why the Browns aren't turning to Case Keenum just to give Mayfield a break.

    MHO? Guts only get you so far... And I agree with Terry Pluto- and a bunch of others- that it was f'n STUPID to play Baker against the Lions.. You want to ride him Kev? You're Captaining the Titanic this year if you do. The last two Mayfield performances could have been equaled by some no-name third string nobody....  

    @hoorta said:

    The NFL.com take....  

    Maker Bayfield...  has reached a new low in his NFL career. Mayfield is clearly injured, yet he insists on gutting out his multiple ailments, and Kevin Stefanski is abiding to the detriment of his offense. Mayfield was again dreadful, completing 15 of 29 passes for 176 yards, one touchdown (a short pass in the flats to Chubb) and two interceptions. Many of his incompletions were to open receivers Mayfield simply missed, the interceptions were typically ugly, and the plays in between inspired so little confidence in Cleveland's offense as it currently exists, Browns fans rained boos down on the field -- while winning the game. Gone are the days of Stefanski's sharp, balanced and unpredictable attack. In its place is an offense stuck in 5 feet of mud with a banged-up quarterback trying to pull them out of it. Folks wearing brown and orange are seriously considering a future without Mayfield, who looks nothing like the quarterback who helped Cleveland win a playoff game last year. It's tough to evaluate him because of his injuries, but it's even more difficult to understand why the Browns aren't turning to Case Keenum just to give Mayfield a break.

    MHO? Guts only get you so far... And I agree with Terry Pluto- and a bunch of others- that it was f'n STUPID to play Baker against the Lions.. You want to ride him Kev? You're Captaining the Titanic this year if you do. The last two Mayfield performances could have been equaled by some no-name third string nobody....  

    I’m convinced Stefanski isn’t making the final call to stick with Baker in these games. I believe post game he called the decisions an organizational one. He’s the kind of guy that would say it was his if it was. 

  • @hoorta said:

    The NFL.com take....  

    Maker Bayfield...  has reached a new low in his NFL career. Mayfield is clearly injured, yet he insists on gutting out his multiple ailments, and Kevin Stefanski is abiding to the detriment of his offense. Mayfield was again dreadful, completing 15 of 29 passes for 176 yards, one touchdown (a short pass in the flats to Chubb) and two interceptions. Many of his incompletions were to open receivers Mayfield simply missed, the interceptions were typically ugly, and the plays in between inspired so little confidence in Cleveland's offense as it currently exists, Browns fans rained boos down on the field -- while winning the game. Gone are the days of Stefanski's sharp, balanced and unpredictable attack. In its place is an offense stuck in 5 feet of mud with a banged-up quarterback trying to pull them out of it. Folks wearing brown and orange are seriously considering a future without Mayfield, who looks nothing like the quarterback who helped Cleveland win a playoff game last year. It's tough to evaluate him because of his injuries, but it's even more difficult to understand why the Browns aren't turning to Case Keenum just to give Mayfield a break.

    MHO? Guts only get you so far... And I agree with Terry Pluto- and a bunch of others- that it was f'n STUPID to play Baker against the Lions.. You want to ride him Kev? You're Captaining the Titanic this year if you do. The last two Mayfield performances could have been equaled by some no-name third string nobody....  

    I’m convinced Stefanski isn’t making the final call to stick with Baker in these games. I believe post game he called the decisions an organizational one. He’s the kind of guy that would say it was his if it was. 

    @jcam222 said:

    I’m convinced Stefanski isn’t making the final call to stick with Baker in these games. I believe post game he called the decisions an organizational one. He’s the kind of guy that would say it was his if it was. 

    then the question becomes- why is the "organizational" group think- thinking after seeing a crippled Mayfield post back to back 50 QBR games that he's gotta play- even if it's obvious he's hurting the team?  We're not beating the Rat Birds with QB play on a college Division II level.   

  • @jcam222 said:

    I’m convinced Stefanski isn’t making the final call to stick with Baker in these games. I believe post game he called the decisions an organizational one. He’s the kind of guy that would say it was his if it was. 

    then the question becomes- why is the "organizational" group think- thinking after seeing a crippled Mayfield post back to back 50 QBR games that he's gotta play- even if it's obvious he's hurting the team?  We're not beating the Rat Birds with QB play on a college Division II level.   

    @hoorta said:

    then the question becomes- why is the "organizational" group think- thinking after seeing a crippled Mayfield post back to back 50 QBR games that he's gotta play- even if it's obvious he's hurting the team?  We're not beating the Rat Birds with QB play on a college Division II level.   

    100% agree

  • Tough is one thing, STUPID is another!

    I never played organized football, but golfed & bowled at high levels, UNTIL I tried to "play through" a shoulder injury. The result was permanent damage & a huge, lasting decline in both sports. WHOEVER  is refusing to shut Baker down is not looking to his (and the team's) best interests OR his future in Cleveland.

    Mike

  • There are times I just hate the fans. I suppose Baker feels the same way. There's probably not a player in the league that hates not playing up to his potential as badly as he does.. There's a reason that the backup quarterback isn't starting for another team. Usually that reason is that the starter is as good or better even at 80% . At any rate these are my guys these are the guys I root for these are the guys I support. If they fall short I feel shitty just like they do. No doubt we all know fans who scream and bitch and curse their own team for every mistake. What fun can that be? Screw those people.

    WSS

  • I suppose my issue is this - IF Baker is the leader of this team, then it underscores just why I believe there is such a dearth of leadership in this world. 

    Being a leader isn't just about being fiery, toughness, vocal, etc etc.  It's about accountability and doing what is best for those in your charge.   It also means, despite how much it might suck, removing yourself from the equation to make clear decisions.  If I can't hit a throw that many NFL backups can in that moment without a high probability of a turnover, a turnover that hurts my team, then I shouldn't be out there. 

    Of course this isn't easy to say to yourself.  It goes against every competitive instinct you have.  And I sympathize with that because in your heart you care, therefore you'll always feel like you give your guys the best shot of winning.  Circle back around to what I said about removing ones self from the equation.  

    If Baker is concerned about booing, it's because his competitive nature and desire to be out there is so strong that it is now bordering on selfishness. If my QBs presence hurts more than it helps then I have to sit him down for an unpleasant conversation.  

    I wouldn't have boo'd Baker, it's bad form.  But I would boo Stef for willingly allowing an injured player to be in that situation. 

  • There are times I just hate the fans. I suppose Baker feels the same way. There's probably not a player in the league that hates not playing up to his potential as badly as he does.. There's a reason that the backup quarterback isn't starting for another team. Usually that reason is that the starter is as good or better even at 80% . At any rate these are my guys these are the guys I root for these are the guys I support. If they fall short I feel shitty just like they do. No doubt we all know fans who scream and bitch and curse their own team for every mistake. What fun can that be? Screw those people.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    There are times I just hate the fans. I suppose Baker feels the same way. There's probably not a player in the league that hates not playing up to his potential as badly as he does.. There's a reason that the backup quarterback isn't starting for another team. Usually that reason is that the starter is as good or better even at 80% . At any rate these are my guys these are the guys I wrote for these are the guys I support. If they fall short I feel shitty just like they do. No doubt we all know fans who scream and bitch and curse their own team for every mistake. What fun can that be? Screw those people.

    WSS

    ❤    ?   comes with the price of a ticket, so they say.. showing some class towards a playing injured player? cost ya nothing... Great Post Sir Westside !

  • @flugel said:

    Agreed!  Now back to the reason I brought up the WR position - are we sure it's JUST Baker we need to upgrade asap?   And I'm impressed with how many people think Lamar Jackson is hard to stop; especially considering he wasn't exactly Josh Rosen PRE-draft.  The convenient out for all of Rosen's pre-draft fans was "bad football team - poor guy just didn't have a chance."  Sticking with such a precedent, what was the record of the team that drafted Baker?  

    I've seen enough of the guy to know what he CAN do even as a wide eyed rookie entering his 1st game with a 14 point deficit and leading the Browns to victory.  Just to recap, the 0-16 team started his rookie year 0-1-1.  Still a worthless team without him on the field.  Next thing you know the team went 7-7 in the games he played; and he's setting a TD passing record for rookie QBs on a franchise with a record of 1-32-1 in the 34 games before he 1st entered the field.  In 2019, the Browns lost both starting Tackles in the opener plus the 1st backup at LT all in 1 game vrs TN.  That season became a necessary backward step  that the FO used to draft Wills and sign Conklin as priorities to the 2020 offense that won 11 regular season games + 1 playoff game where the Browns score 48 points AT PITTSBURGH.  So let's get rid of Baker so we can return to watching this franchise draft QBs the way it has done since 1999?  It's been THAT fun has it?

    More math?  Have we forgotten the inventory of Offensive Coordinators here that the young QB had to learn and deprogram?  And people act like if THIS franchise just drafted Lamar Jackson he'd be in 1 piece ALLOWED to do the stuff seemingly only Baltimore was interested in letting him do as soon as they submitted their draft selection of him. Hue Jackson would have put him on a leash saying QBs aren't RBs in this league; and he'd have more broken bones than Evil Kaneival.  Tim Couch had a 64 yard run vrs the Rams as a rookie right before halftime thinking Chris Palmer was going to compliment him before Palmer tore him a new ass.  Meanwhile in Philly, Donovan McNabb was playing for an offensive minded HC and OC that allowed him the type of liberties with his feet that Baltimore has done with Lamar. All McNabb did was turn around the team with the worst record in 98 with 9 playoff appearances, 5 NFC Championship Games and 1 SB. in his 1st 10 or 11 seasons.  SOME of this is the luck of going to the right MIND/system.  It makes no sense to me if you draft anyone only to Dr Frankenstein all his gifts into something he isn't wired to do.  

    How come when teams are easily getting outside of Myles Garrett off the edge - we're/he's only blaming the Coordinator and teammates?  I LOVE sacks but not at the expense of giving up contain.  We're not stopping shit with film going viral on how to beat it.  And when they lined up Clowney next to Garrett - it was the easiest TD Houston scored all year.  The good news was Tyrod pulled a hammy so the Browns could come back and win.

    I've seen what this team is capable of with Baker enough to know I'm not interested in returning to the QB t-shirt culture everyone once bitched about (especially me) before Baker arrived.  It's up to the FO and coaching staff to get this stuff worked out.  As I was leading to, upgrading the WR position would be an ideal place to start.  Not many opponents are going to have trouble winning their matchups against our guys on the perimeter.  Let's hope that doesn't include the winless Lions today...

    Generally you and I have great discussion.   But if you think what McNabb did with his feet - as a mobile passer who ran only to throw,   is ANYTHING like the stucture that the Ravens HAD* to implement with Lamar as an offensive supplement,  then we really need to sit down for a long ass chat.  

    The issues many Browns fans aren't recognizing is a simple one.   The Browns have HAD some talent on these rosters in current and previous years.  The QB play was just so damn dismal that it didn't allow them to be even remotely competitive.    Until a local boy like Brian Hoyer and Young Shanahan showed that you only need a slightly-above average QB to actually win some games and allow the rest of said talent and quality coaching to take you to 8-8 (ish)    Imagine if Jim O neil isn't the defensive coordinator in 2014 and we draft Khalil Mack,  Aaron Donald or Mike Evans?  (like I wanted)   That squad would have gone to the wildcard with Brian Hoyer at QB.   

    Another example would be the season before Alex Smith arrived in KC.  1 win to what...? 9-10 wins?    Not spectacular QB play, but just good enough at the most important position on the field.

    Baker himself isn't solely responsible for the Browns turn-around so much as it an infusion of young talent and decent, NOT great, coaches.   The Bengals had playoff appearances with Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis for Christ sake.      

    @tiamat63 said:

    Generally you and I have great discussion.   But if you think what McNabb did with his feet - as a mobile passer who ran only to throw,   is ANYTHING like the stucture that the Ravens HAD* to implement with Lamar as an offensive supplement,  then we really need to sit down for a long ass chat.  

    The issues many Browns fans aren't recognizing is a simple one.   The Browns have HAD some talent on these rosters in current and previous years.  The QB play was just so damn dismal that it didn't allow them to be even remotely competitive.    Until a local boy like Brian Hoyer and Young Shanahan showed that you only need a slightly-above average QB to actually win some games and allow the rest of said talent and quality coaching to take you to 8-8 (ish)    Imagine if Jim O neil isn't the defensive coordinator in 2014 and we draft Khalil Mack,  Aaron Donald or Mike Evans?  (like I wanted)   That squad would have gone to the wildcard with Brian Hoyer at QB.   

    Another example would be the season before Alex Smith arrived in KC.  1 win to what...? 9-10 wins?    Not spectacular QB play, but just good enough at the most important position on the field.

    Baker himself isn't solely responsible for the Browns turn-around so much as it an infusion of young talent and decent, NOT great, coaches.   The Bengals had playoff appearances with Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis for Christ sake.      

    Good points; but it sure seemed like the ONLY guy considering McNabb out of SU's Veer Option offense was Andy Reid. And when you get right down to it - it was a similar offense to the one Brett Favre played in at So Miss (whom Andy Reid helped coach up into a WCO QB) which IMO made Reid more interested in what other teams/scouts considered to unconventional for the pro game at the time.  Look at how much that has changed today since Reid showed you look at the player to determine whether he can fit what you want him do rather than the system.  Once upon a time, people used to talk about avoiding BYU system QBs before guys like Jim McMahon and Steve Young bucked that trend.  What bucks a trend?  A player or 2 that shows you on film why you should do so...

    As for Cleveland, I agree with a lot of the points you made but I pointed out what the record was the last 34 games before Baker got behind Center. 1-32-1.  And the first game he appeared in the team was behind by 14 points with the same players Baker had.  All of a sudden the offense moved the ball (allowing the defense to rest) while it put points on the board to erase the deficit and win.  There were COUNTLESS reasons this franchise needed to use the 1st overall pick on a QB.  

    I'm not saying he's the BEST QB in the league - but I AM saying I'm not nearly as excited about going back to hoping all the stars and planets align for this franchise to find the right QB while it goes through countless HCs and OCs that never allow the continuity to allow a young QB to succeed.  Again, there was a t-shirt full of QBs that couldn't succeed in Cleveland.  We can debate the reasons for failure until we're blue in the face. The point is Baker looked pretty good in the first system with sufficient room for growth of course.  I consider you a very intelligent football guy so I'm sure you know that losing both starting Tackles on opening day vrs TN as well as the backup LT - wasn't setting this team up for success.  Solution found by drafting a Tackle in round 1 and signing Conklin the next year which unfolded into an 11-5 season plus a playoff win.  More guys are playing hurt and missing games this year than last year so we're not surviving injury as well.  And UNFORTUNATELY, Baker has not played well which gets the debates going if he's worthy of committing to. 

    As for the talent thing, poor Joe Thomas had only 1 winning season here - and that was with Derek Anderson as his QB.  Outside of that, if I walked up and told him I can't wait until we get rid of Baker for a REAL QB - what do you think he'd say to me?  

  • I suppose my issue is this - IF Baker is the leader of this team, then it underscores just why I believe there is such a dearth of leadership in this world. 

    Being a leader isn't just about being fiery, toughness, vocal, etc etc.  It's about accountability and doing what is best for those in your charge.   It also means, despite how much it might suck, removing yourself from the equation to make clear decisions.  If I can't hit a throw that many NFL backups can in that moment without a high probability of a turnover, a turnover that hurts my team, then I shouldn't be out there. 

    Of course this isn't easy to say to yourself.  It goes against every competitive instinct you have.  And I sympathize with that because in your heart you care, therefore you'll always feel like you give your guys the best shot of winning.  Circle back around to what I said about removing ones self from the equation.  

    If Baker is concerned about booing, it's because his competitive nature and desire to be out there is so strong that it is now bordering on selfishness. If my QBs presence hurts more than it helps then I have to sit him down for an unpleasant conversation.  

    I wouldn't have boo'd Baker, it's bad form.  But I would boo Stef for willingly allowing an injured player to be in that situation. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    I wouldn't have boo'd Baker, it's bad form.  But I would boo Stef for willingly allowing an injured player to be in that situation. 

     And maybe that response would be valid if, and only if your  knowledge of the game of football exceeded that of Kevin Stefansky. And not just a knee jerk reaction to scream the name of whoever the backup quarterback might possibly be. Kelly Holcomb Mike Peggel  Don Strock...

     Your position demands the acknowledgment that the coach doesn't know what hes doing.

    WSS

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I wouldn't have boo'd Baker, it's bad form.  But I would boo Stef for willingly allowing an injured player to be in that situation. 

     And maybe that response would be valid if, and only if your  knowledge of the game of football exceeded that of Kevin Stefansky. And not just a knee jerk reaction to scream the name of whoever the backup quarterback might possibly be. Kelly Holcomb Mike Peggel  Don Strock...

     Your position demands the acknowledgment that the coach doesn't know what hes doing.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

     And maybe that response would be valid if, and only if your  knowledge of the game of football exceeded that of Kevin Stefansky. And not just a knee jerk reaction to scream the name of whoever the backup quarterback might possibly be. Kelly Holcomb Mike Peggel  Don Strock...

     Your position demands the acknowledgment that the coach doesn't know what hes doing.

    WSS

    That's a clowns take on my words.

    Stefs command of the game, X's and O's is superior, no arguing that.  While I may not be as fluent in the language, I can still understand the conversation at a high level.     But "football isn't a game played, coached or managed by geniuses". (A former 1st round pick told me that a long time ago.)

     It's done by men capable of making (very obvious) mistakes.   Intelligent people can still do dumb things from time to time. 

    Edit: sort of like calling a HB draw on 4th and 9. I've seen 2 coaches do that.  Both coaches know more than myself, but that doesn't absolve them from my understanding that, in the moment, it was a piss poor decision.  

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Generally you and I have great discussion.   But if you think what McNabb did with his feet - as a mobile passer who ran only to throw,   is ANYTHING like the stucture that the Ravens HAD* to implement with Lamar as an offensive supplement,  then we really need to sit down for a long ass chat.  

    The issues many Browns fans aren't recognizing is a simple one.   The Browns have HAD some talent on these rosters in current and previous years.  The QB play was just so damn dismal that it didn't allow them to be even remotely competitive.    Until a local boy like Brian Hoyer and Young Shanahan showed that you only need a slightly-above average QB to actually win some games and allow the rest of said talent and quality coaching to take you to 8-8 (ish)    Imagine if Jim O neil isn't the defensive coordinator in 2014 and we draft Khalil Mack,  Aaron Donald or Mike Evans?  (like I wanted)   That squad would have gone to the wildcard with Brian Hoyer at QB.   

    Another example would be the season before Alex Smith arrived in KC.  1 win to what...? 9-10 wins?    Not spectacular QB play, but just good enough at the most important position on the field.

    Baker himself isn't solely responsible for the Browns turn-around so much as it an infusion of young talent and decent, NOT great, coaches.   The Bengals had playoff appearances with Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis for Christ sake.      

    Good points; but it sure seemed like the ONLY guy considering McNabb out of SU's Veer Option offense was Andy Reid. And when you get right down to it - it was a similar offense to the one Brett Favre played in at So Miss (whom Andy Reid helped coach up into a WCO QB) which IMO made Reid more interested in what other teams/scouts considered to unconventional for the pro game at the time.  Look at how much that has changed today since Reid showed you look at the player to determine whether he can fit what you want him do rather than the system.  Once upon a time, people used to talk about avoiding BYU system QBs before guys like Jim McMahon and Steve Young bucked that trend.  What bucks a trend?  A player or 2 that shows you on film why you should do so...

    As for Cleveland, I agree with a lot of the points you made but I pointed out what the record was the last 34 games before Baker got behind Center. 1-32-1.  And the first game he appeared in the team was behind by 14 points with the same players Baker had.  All of a sudden the offense moved the ball (allowing the defense to rest) while it put points on the board to erase the deficit and win.  There were COUNTLESS reasons this franchise needed to use the 1st overall pick on a QB.  

    I'm not saying he's the BEST QB in the league - but I AM saying I'm not nearly as excited about going back to hoping all the stars and planets align for this franchise to find the right QB while it goes through countless HCs and OCs that never allow the continuity to allow a young QB to succeed.  Again, there was a t-shirt full of QBs that couldn't succeed in Cleveland.  We can debate the reasons for failure until we're blue in the face. The point is Baker looked pretty good in the first system with sufficient room for growth of course.  I consider you a very intelligent football guy so I'm sure you know that losing both starting Tackles on opening day vrs TN as well as the backup LT - wasn't setting this team up for success.  Solution found by drafting a Tackle in round 1 and signing Conklin the next year which unfolded into an 11-5 season plus a playoff win.  More guys are playing hurt and missing games this year than last year so we're not surviving injury as well.  And UNFORTUNATELY, Baker has not played well which gets the debates going if he's worthy of committing to. 

    As for the talent thing, poor Joe Thomas had only 1 winning season here - and that was with Derek Anderson as his QB.  Outside of that, if I walked up and told him I can't wait until we get rid of Baker for a REAL QB - what do you think he'd say to me?  

    @flugel said:

    Good points; 

    At this very moment I dont have the time to give this a full response, quoting so to remind myself to do so later when I'm out of work and the gym.  

  • @westside-steve said:

     And maybe that response would be valid if, and only if your  knowledge of the game of football exceeded that of Kevin Stefansky. And not just a knee jerk reaction to scream the name of whoever the backup quarterback might possibly be. Kelly Holcomb Mike Peggel  Don Strock...

     Your position demands the acknowledgment that the coach doesn't know what hes doing.

    WSS

    That's a clowns take on my words.

    Stefs command of the game, X's and O's is superior, no arguing that.  While I may not be as fluent in the language, I can still understand the conversation at a high level.     But "football isn't a game played, coached or managed by geniuses". (A former 1st round pick told me that a long time ago.)

     It's done by men capable of making (very obvious) mistakes.   Intelligent people can still do dumb things from time to time. 

    Edit: sort of like calling a HB draw on 4th and 9. I've seen 2 coaches do that.  Both coaches know more than myself, but that doesn't absolve them from my understanding that, in the moment, it was a piss poor decision.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    That's a clowns take on my words.

     Clowns take? Well GIGO. Anyway your statement assumes that if Case Kenum had started that game the Browns would have won by more points then 3. Could be. There's a reason people bet on the game's right?

    Stefs command of the game, X's and O's is superior, no arguing that.  While I may not be as fluent in the language, I can still understand the conversation at a high level.     But "football isn't a game played, coached or managed by geniuses". (A former 1st round pick told me that a long time ago.)

     It's done by men capable of making (very obvious) mistakes.   Intelligent people can still do dumb things from time to time. 

    Edit: sort of like calling a HB draw on 4th and 9. I've seen 2 coaches do that.  Both coaches know more than myself, but that doesn't absolve them from my understanding that, in the moment, it was a piss poor decision.  

     No doubt somewhere there's spreadsheet that  lists quite a few cases of calling a halfback draw on 4th and long.  Just remember every single play in every single game somebody on one side of the ball or the other made a miscalculation.

    Don't forget to shower after you leave the gym

    WSS

  • There are times I just hate the fans. I suppose Baker feels the same way. There's probably not a player in the league that hates not playing up to his potential as badly as he does.. There's a reason that the backup quarterback isn't starting for another team. Usually that reason is that the starter is as good or better even at 80% . At any rate these are my guys these are the guys I root for these are the guys I support. If they fall short I feel shitty just like they do. No doubt we all know fans who scream and bitch and curse their own team for every mistake. What fun can that be? Screw those people.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Screw those people.

    Ouch, I scream and curse during the game. I curse at Baker/coaches/refs/defense but I also scream their praises. It’s all good how you want to enjoy your 3 hours of fandom. I won’t judge. 
     

    Unless it’s Pittsburgh, screw them. 
     

  • 2018 rookie year/Hue and Baker operated well in a QB friendly system.  I recall watching him slide in the pocket and create his passing lanes as well as Russ Wilson.  The formula in that year was run the ball and be opportunistic in run/pass situations (playaction)…live to fight another day on 3rd and long. 


    2019 Baker left clean pockets and had one of the lowest QB ratings in 2019 when faced with no pressure…but we had many point to our offensive tackle situation and our HC as the main issues. 

    We said new system, COVID and OBJ in 2020, but we had hope when he turned things around in the second half.

    We will use injuries this year.

    I listened to Jimmy Johnson yesterday echo what many in here are saying…we have a tough decision “but if you don’t have a QB you better sign him”.   That’s fiscally irresponsible in my opinion knowing very well he will definitely command more money than what he’s making now. And there will be a time in his 2nd 3rd year of this new contract where Joel won’t be there…Chubb may not be here a different regime as well that might want sit in empty set 5 WRs split out. 

    And we’ve had Way too many built in excuses and uncertainty to sign him now or this offseason and I would definitely do some major due diligence this offseason finding a QB (and fixing the middle of our defense too). 
     

    I am not ungrateful he’s become a great leader…he’s kept his mouth closed lately and focused on being a QB but he’s limited…can be inconsistent week to week with ball placement (others have magnified these points and added others) and I don’t think reads defenses well enough at this level.  

  • @westside-steve said:

     And maybe that response would be valid if, and only if your  knowledge of the game of football exceeded that of Kevin Stefansky. And not just a knee jerk reaction to scream the name of whoever the backup quarterback might possibly be. Kelly Holcomb Mike Peggel  Don Strock...

     Your position demands the acknowledgment that the coach doesn't know what hes doing.

    WSS

    That's a clowns take on my words.

    Stefs command of the game, X's and O's is superior, no arguing that.  While I may not be as fluent in the language, I can still understand the conversation at a high level.     But "football isn't a game played, coached or managed by geniuses". (A former 1st round pick told me that a long time ago.)

     It's done by men capable of making (very obvious) mistakes.   Intelligent people can still do dumb things from time to time. 

    Edit: sort of like calling a HB draw on 4th and 9. I've seen 2 coaches do that.  Both coaches know more than myself, but that doesn't absolve them from my understanding that, in the moment, it was a piss poor decision.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    That's a clowns take on my words.

    Stefs command of the game, X's and O's is superior, no arguing that.  While I may not be as fluent in the language, I can still understand the conversation at a high level.     But "football isn't a game played, coached or managed by geniuses". (A former 1st round pick told me that a long time ago.)

     It's done by men capable of making (very obvious) mistakes.   Intelligent people can still do dumb things from time to time. 

    Edit: sort of like calling a HB draw on 4th and 9. I've seen 2 coaches do that.  Both coaches know more than myself, but that doesn't absolve them from my understanding that, in the moment, it was a piss poor decision.  

    I like Stef but he was a dumb fool yesterday.  
     

    And although the team dealt with a lot of stuff, Stef had some fortunate outcomes last year.  Yesterday we had a 3rd and 1 at their 40 and we were seemingly driving well using the run and we take the shot downfield…last year 3rd and 1 Baker hits the playaction deep ball.  This year he misses it and our backup tackle gets a hold call.    Baker isn’t right…we are dealing with some new WRs and WR roles being modified…that wasn’t the time.  I can appreciate a risk but a little situational awareness there could have gone a long way and put that game away at that time.

    Yesterday Should have been a Chubb/Johnson game with Baker handing off…just like 2018.

    The Charger game draw play that you brought up…the week before he did a 3rd 22 draw play that worked with Hunt.  Not an outrageous play but probably not a high percentage heck very low percentage (getting a first down).  But the next week he goes back to the well in a key spot?  Don’t press your luck and don’t get too cute.  Case of a Smart guy out smarting himself…happening a lot this year. 

  • @flugel said:

    Good points; 

    At this very moment I dont have the time to give this a full response, quoting so to remind myself to do so later when I'm out of work and the gym.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    At this very moment I dont have the time to give this a full response, quoting so to remind myself to do so later when I'm out of work and the gym.  

    No worries.  I like reading what you have to say.  You've opened up my thinking a lot in here over the years...

  • @westside-steve said:

    Screw those people.

    Ouch, I scream and curse during the game. I curse at Baker/coaches/refs/defense but I also scream their praises. It’s all good how you want to enjoy your 3 hours of fandom. I won’t judge. 
     

    Unless it’s Pittsburgh, screw them. 
     

    @kegeratorz said:

    Ouch, I scream and curse during the game. I curse at Baker/coaches/refs/defense but I also scream their praises. It’s all good how you want to enjoy your 3 hours of fandom. I won’t judge. 
     

    Unless it’s Pittsburgh, screw them. 
     

     Don't misunderstand i  yell and drop F bombs but I'm not cursing out my guys. 

     The only time I get angry with the Cleveland Browns player is if I get the feeling he doesn't give a shit and is hostile to the town. Nobody likes to fuck up nobody likes to lose. If I blow the words to a song in a live performance nobody is  as unhappy about it than I am.  And it bothers me lots longer than anybody who was at the performance. 

    WSS

  •  need more  __________ ?