You're the GM...
-
And He played like a bad rookie this year.
for everyone not wanting to “start over”
but being beat to hell had nothing to do with it ?
-
We have had plenty of film study presented on this forum and other places showing the WTF moments he’s had on a regular basis from a clean pocket.
I gave him excuses too.
yup and i have those also from other qb's in the league
-
We have had plenty of film study presented on this forum and other places showing the WTF moments he’s had on a regular basis from a clean pocket.
I gave him excuses too.
yup and i have those also from other qb's in the league
-
So run it back next year maybe we will go 9-8.
and win the north
-
You're the GM...
I'd first want to change the culture of going for it all the time on 4th down. This would be a lengthy discussion of situations and distances.
I would view my QB situation as an area of concern. I would weigh any and all options with that position. This year's and next year's draft classes, free agents to be, possible trades for a veteran, any and all would be weighed against staying with Baker. Although Baker can be good...he can also be quite bad. His decision making can be quite bad, like passing up a wide open Njoku who's past the sticks for a shot at a guy farther upfield with a tighter window. I harken back to early in the season when on 3rd down he had Felton standing on the sidelines, 2 yards past the sticks, nobody anywhere near him, and he DIDN'T throw it to him. He looked right at Felton, but Instead tried to run and was tackled well short and we had to punt. I thought it was quite selfish and dumb. We need smart at QB.
I'd have to evaluate my Center position. Do I have someone that will be able to take over for Tretter?
Obviously, the RT position. Do we have a successor for Conklin? Is Conklin going to be ok? Should I consider moving Wills to RT? Is he better suited there? Is that just out of the question money-wise?
We've gotta rework the WR position! We need someone who commands attention. We need to improve the talent there to such a degree that we don't need to have Higgins on the roster any more.
The TE position...Hooper has not been great like he was in Atlanta. And we've gotta keep Njoku because he's the best we got.
On D, maybe we can get Sheldon Richardson back (no we can't). We'll need someone to replace Clowney if we don't keep him...and yet another pass rusher. LB'er is another spot where replacements are needed. And one can never have enough CB's. - I'd keep Denzell Ward. I know he gets called Hospital Ward because he gets hurt...but what CB's don't get hurt. He's freaking good! Keep him!
....quite a lot to keep a look-out for...
-
I'd love to get better on the DLine... tougher inside with a starting caliberDT and add a young, pass rusher opposite Myles at DE.
A MLB who is stouter vs the run than Walker.
Two starting caliber WRs to join DJP.
Some developmental OLinemen, and possibly a new starter at RT.
Co-sign…but most importantly I need a new QB…and They need to have a long talk with Stefanski and his need/desire to call plays
Co-sign…but most importantly I need a new QB…and They need to have a long talk with Stefanski and his need/desire to call plays
Honestly, I'd love to move on from Baker.
But I'm not moving on from Baker unless I'm 100% sure I've upgraded from Baker, and I just don't see a scenario right now where that realistically happens.
-
I would roll with Baker also, but does he want to be here?
im sure he doesnt let the outside bullshit get to him ,His wife yes she sure does and she needs someone to watch over and monitor her twitter account
-
I would roll with Baker also, but does he want to be here?
I think he certainly does. I believe he wants to be the guy to fully turn this thing around. Pretty darn close last season.
im sure he doesnt let the outside bullshit get to him ,His wife yes she sure does and she needs someone to watch over and monitor her twitter account
Lol...that's Baker's #1 problem, he does let outside BS get to him. I think he needs to shut down the noise from commentators, social media, etc. Not an easy thing to do in this day & age.
To answer the original question of what would I do as GM.....
- trust your scouting department & stick to your big board at the draft
- most importantly, build your team to win the AFC North- I don't think they're that far away, even though this season was a dud
- don't overpay for a QB in free agency. 2020 showed Baker was more than adequate
- depth on the D line and LB; easy to say now, but they should have kept Ogunjobi
- kicker- my concern there is both Siebert & Zane Gonzalez were drafted, and couldn't handle it.
- agree with Orion...the constant 4th down gambles aren't necessary. Kick the damn FG early on in road games especially, this team was unable to come from behind
- DO NOT RAISE TICKET PRICES (although I know that's not on the GM)
-
I think he certainly does. I believe he wants to be the guy to fully turn this thing around. Pretty darn close last season.
Does he feel that way after getting setup for failure and getting pummeled against the squeelers?
If the Browns had his best interest at heart, they wouldn’t have played him on Monday night
-
who ? is he on are roster right now ? do we tank for a qb in the 2023 draft ? cause i still do not see a 2nd tier qb that is any better than baker when healthy
Let’s see a list come draft and FA time.
Baker has thrown the most INTs of any QB since 2018. We can’t have that period….and I’m positive we can improve upon that without even seeing a list
Let’s see a list come draft and FA time.
Baker has thrown the most INTs of any QB since 2018. We can’t have that period….and I’m positive we can improve upon that without even seeing a list
If we're talking the 2021 Baker, I'll let you peruse the NFL.com quarterback listing. Not too hard to NOT to improve on that performance.
but being beat to hell had nothing to do with it ?
That is the humongous question. I would sincerely hope Berry and Podesta will want to hedge their bets, and bring in a reliable Plan B just in case Baker continues to shit the bed post surgery. Strings of 50ish QBRs aren't going to get it done. Our window is now, and the uprising of Country Joe Burrow and the Bungles down by the River certainly complicates matters. MHO- I've said it elsewhere, Baker's play in the last few games doesn't warrant him being gift wrapped the starting QB role in training camp... He's going to have to earn it.
Hope Conklin can stay healthy. Still OL is going to be a priority. Perusing our potential draft status, we could be anywhere between #6 and #12.... It's a deep WR class, and if we go that route, almost a certainty that one of the top guys will be there for us.
And Stef DOES need to stop with the play calling. There was zero drop-off when he wasn't on the field.
-
Let’s see a list come draft and FA time.
Baker has thrown the most INTs of any QB since 2018. We can’t have that period….and I’m positive we can improve upon that without even seeing a list
If we're talking the 2021 Baker, I'll let you peruse the NFL.com quarterback listing. Not too hard to NOT to improve on that performance.
but being beat to hell had nothing to do with it ?
That is the humongous question. I would sincerely hope Berry and Podesta will want to hedge their bets, and bring in a reliable Plan B just in case Baker continues to shit the bed post surgery. Strings of 50ish QBRs aren't going to get it done. Our window is now, and the uprising of Country Joe Burrow and the Bungles down by the River certainly complicates matters. MHO- I've said it elsewhere, Baker's play in the last few games doesn't warrant him being gift wrapped the starting QB role in training camp... He's going to have to earn it.
Hope Conklin can stay healthy. Still OL is going to be a priority. Perusing our potential draft status, we could be anywhere between #6 and #12.... It's a deep WR class, and if we go that route, almost a certainty that one of the top guys will be there for us.
And Stef DOES need to stop with the play calling. There was zero drop-off when he wasn't on the field.
If we're talking the 2021 Baker, I'll let you peruse the NFL.com quarterback listing. Not too hard to NOT to improve on that performance.
That is the humongous question. I would sincerely hope Berry and Podesta will want to hedge their bets, and bring in a reliable Plan B just in case Baker continues to shit the bed post surgery. Strings of 50ish QBRs aren't going to get it done. Our window is now, and the uprising of Country Joe Burrow and the Bungles down by the River certainly complicates matters. MHO- I've said it elsewhere, Baker's play in the last few games doesn't warrant him being gift wrapped the starting QB role in training camp... He's going to have to earn it.
Hope Conklin can stay healthy. Still OL is going to be a priority. Perusing our potential draft status, we could be anywhere between #6 and #12.... It's a deep WR class, and if we go that route, almost a certainty that one of the top guys will be there for us.
And Stef DOES need to stop with the play calling. There was zero drop-off when he wasn't on the field.
And we don’t know what QBs may be available via trade.
We have a 60 game sample set with Baker that includes:
Healthy Baker And unhealthy Baker
Baker with different HC/OC and Baker with continuity at HC/OC.
Baker with WRs and Baker without WRs
Baker with arguably the best backfield in football
Baker with Bad Line and Baker with a very good line.
We haven’t asked Baker to carry our team…but any of you think he’s capable?
-
I'd love to get better on the DLine... tougher inside with a starting caliberDT and add a young, pass rusher opposite Myles at DE.
A MLB who is stouter vs the run than Walker.
Two starting caliber WRs to join DJP.
Some developmental OLinemen, and possibly a new starter at RT.
I'd love to get better on the DLine... tougher inside with a starting caliberDT and add a young, pass rusher opposite Myles at DE.
It can't be understated enough that teams about halfway through the year scouted the Browns very correctly that running right up the gut served extremely effective. A good pas rush starts with interior DL play. As much as we need to upgrade WR, I'm totally fine if that first round pick is interior DL based as well. Need a disruptor at that position badly. I think Jordan Davis may be lingering around where we pick, which IMO would be a slam dunk.
Honestly, I'd love to move on from Baker.
But I'm not moving on from Baker unless I'm 100% sure I've upgraded from Baker, and I just don't see a scenario right now where that realistically happens.
Pretty much sums it up perfectly. Outside of a Carr trade or something completely unexpected, ain't no one out there in the land of FA QB's that I'd consider an upgrade. Given this QB prospect class in the draft, I'd much rather see if Baker can come back to form and deal with what may (again, barring a big trade) than blow the ship up again. The thought of doing that actually pains me to think about.
-
Sup T!!
1) I take a hard look at the coaching staff. I would demand that Stef hands over play calling to his OC so he can better see the whole picture on gameday. I would look at Woods and see if I was happy with the amount the defense improved as the season went along and do the same with ST's as well.... I believe I would keep both and make no major changes.
2) Gotta look at the QB, no way around it. Is Baker still 100% my guy? Do I need to address it early in the draft, play Bake on his 5th year and then move on? Do I make a major trade because I believe all of the pieces are in place but the 1? I'm just glad I don't really have to work through The Process...
3) Position upgrades and overall team depth just like any other year
4) Take Stef's play sheet away from him, swat him on the head with it and yell BAD.
-
Sup T!!
1) I take a hard look at the coaching staff. I would demand that Stef hands over play calling to his OC so he can better see the whole picture on gameday. I would look at Woods and see if I was happy with the amount the defense improved as the season went along and do the same with ST's as well.... I believe I would keep both and make no major changes.
2) Gotta look at the QB, no way around it. Is Baker still 100% my guy? Do I need to address it early in the draft, play Bake on his 5th year and then move on? Do I make a major trade because I believe all of the pieces are in place but the 1? I'm just glad I don't really have to work through The Process...
3) Position upgrades and overall team depth just like any other year
4) Take Stef's play sheet away from him, swat him on the head with it and yell BAD.
Sup T!!
1) I take a hard look at the coaching staff. I would demand that Stef hands over play calling to his OC so he can better see the whole picture on gameday. I would look at Woods and see if I was happy with the amount the defense improved as the season went along and do the same with ST's as well.... I believe I would keep both and make no major changes.
2) Gotta look at the QB, no way around it. Is Baker still 100% my guy? Do I need to address it early in the draft, play Bake on his 5th year and then move on? Do I make a major trade because I believe all of the pieces are in place but the 1? I'm just glad I don't really have to work through The Process...
3) Position upgrades and overall team depth just like any other year
4) Take Stef's play sheet away from him, swat him on the head with it and yell BAD.
1. Yep.
2. Baker, if healthy, should start next year. They went to the playoffs last year with Baker. obj took a little heat off Landry. Wait til the Browns get a legit star wr in the draft.
3. I believe if Garrett Wilson is even there, the Browns will draft him absolutely. However, if he's already gone... it will be interesting - what do the Browns do then?
4. Good thing I was done with my coffee. LOL LOL LOL.
-
Hire a moving company and move this sh** show to another city. It's over, failure is now in the very fiber of the Browns. No offseason trades or draft picks will change that. I've been a fan since the 70's and their was always hope and you looked forward the next season and tell all your friends how bad the Browns will beat the Steelers. In the 80's we were talking Super Bowl but when the old Browns moved out failure moved in. Let the team move and in less than 5 years they will win the Super Bowl. At least Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
-
Sup T!!
1) I take a hard look at the coaching staff. I would demand that Stef hands over play calling to his OC so he can better see the whole picture on gameday. I would look at Woods and see if I was happy with the amount the defense improved as the season went along and do the same with ST's as well.... I believe I would keep both and make no major changes.
2) Gotta look at the QB, no way around it. Is Baker still 100% my guy? Do I need to address it early in the draft, play Bake on his 5th year and then move on? Do I make a major trade because I believe all of the pieces are in place but the 1? I'm just glad I don't really have to work through The Process...
3) Position upgrades and overall team depth just like any other year
4) Take Stef's play sheet away from him, swat him on the head with it and yell BAD.
1. Yep.
2. Baker, if healthy, should start next year. They went to the playoffs last year with Baker. obj took a little heat off Landry. Wait til the Browns get a legit star wr in the draft.
3. I believe if Garrett Wilson is even there, the Browns will draft him absolutely. However, if he's already gone... it will be interesting - what do the Browns do then?
4. Good thing I was done with my coffee. LOL LOL LOL.
3. I believe if Garrett Wilson is even there, the Browns will draft him absolutely. However, if he's already gone... it will be interesting - what do the Browns do then?
4. Good thing I was done with my coffee. LOL LOL LOL.
I know all you homers like the two WRs from OSU, but I'd take Jameson Williams from a lot stronger scheduled Bama. Anyone who can get open at any depth and blow past them all on the long routes is just as capable as Chase who did the same thing against most of the same teams.
-
Hire a moving company and move this sh** show to another city. It's over, failure is now in the very fiber of the Browns. No offseason trades or draft picks will change that. I've been a fan since the 70's and their was always hope and you looked forward the next season and tell all your friends how bad the Browns will beat the Steelers. In the 80's we were talking Super Bowl but when the old Browns moved out failure moved in. Let the team move and in less than 5 years they will win the Super Bowl. At least Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Hire a moving company and move this sh** show to another city. It's over, failure is now in the very fiber of the Browns. No offseason trades or draft picks will change that. I've been a fan since the 70's and their was always hope and you looked forward the next season and tell all your friends how bad the Browns will beat the Steelers. In the 80's we were talking Super Bowl but when the old Browns moved out failure moved in. Let the team move and in less than 5 years they will win the Super Bowl. At least Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
you mean the Hip hop HOF...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login