Skip to content

Draft Thoughts

The Browns Board
80 19 3.7k 1
  • One week until the 2022 NFL Draft. 

    Try to contain your excitement, Browns fans. ?

    @dutch-oven said:

    One week until the 2022 NFL Draft. 

    Try to contain your excitement, Browns fans. ?

    With no 1st round pick there's not much to speculate regarding who our 1st pick is going to be.  Purely wild speculation.  - Quietly looking forward to next Friday night though.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    One week until the 2022 NFL Draft. 

    Try to contain your excitement, Browns fans. ?

    With no 1st round pick there's not much to speculate regarding who our 1st pick is going to be.  Purely wild speculation.  - Quietly looking forward to next Friday night though.

    @orion said:

    With no 1st round pick there's not much to speculate regarding who our 1st pick is going to be.  Purely wild speculation.  - Quietly looking forward to next Friday night though.

    Yeah we get to watch all Thursday evening at everyone else's picks and hoping the BROWNS don't shoot the other foot off.

    Also why I dislike this Th-Fr-Sa  format !  Bring back Sat-Sun for us real draft fans.  😮

  • Possibilities at Pick 44:

    WR - George Pickens 6'3"  UGA   - Awesome prospect with great hands. A lot of mocks project him to Cleveland but I could see Detroit getting him at #32 or #34.  GB could land him at #22 or #28.  KC is another team that may be interested at #29 or #30.  Jax could be very interested at pick #33 or the NYJ at #35.  All depends on the run at this very deep position as well as the anticipated run on edge rushers (which could push Pickens back to Cleveland). My favorite alternative if he's gone (and the Browns are still going WR at #44) is David Bell 6'2" Purdue.  I'll never forget the positive impact and spark that Jarvis Landry brought to our offense despite not being blessed with great speed. When I've seen him play, he reminded of Jarvis in that way.  Very productive, runs great routes inside or out, and has great hands. Had 93 catches for 1286 yards and 6 TD in just 11 games in 2021.

    DT - Travis Jones 6'4" 326 lbs Connecticut - Huge need; but no longer a sleeper in this draft when he's recently been mentioned in round 1 to upper round 2 consideration.  His biggest competition at this spot is going to be the early run on those at another position (Edge Rushers).  If available, he would really upgrade our biggest weakness on defense by far.  Possible alternative is DT Logan Hall, 6'6" 278 lbs Houston.  Lindy's Pro Football Draft Guide lists  him as the Pass Rush Prototype with the versatility to rush inside or outside. The Millennial author said "he's twitched up with good hand quickness and a variety of natural moves." I haven't seen a lot of him but I like reading about his flexibility to play outside or inside in the pass rush.  That said, nobody researches players better than Tia and if he doesn't think Hall is anything special - I may have to rethink the alternative (if Jones is already gone) or open it up to you guys for a better alternative.

    C - Dohnovan West 6'3" 300 lbs Arizona State - This kid can't even spell his 1st name right - I'm already in love!  I watched some film of him to see if the Draft Guide info made sense; and it did.  Unfortunately, I didn't think the rest of his line was very good at all in the 2 games I watched.  A lot of his efforts were lost or wasted in the reality of "you're only as good as your last guy."  Lindy's Draft Guide hails him as the Run Blocking Prototype stating "Capable of uprooting Nose Tackles and sending linebackers flying.  West has pop in his hands that few Centers bring to the table in the running game."  My Take?  Putting a prospect like this between our well respected OGs could take our inside running game to another level. Another thing to think about here is the Ratbirds are always big and strong at DT (and a have a sick feeling Jordan Davis will land right on their draft slot so we better have a better plan than Nick Harris).  Possible alternative to a Center will be OT Darian Kinnard, 6'5" OT Kentucky.  He's not a finished product by any means; but I've seen enough film to see why he earned 1st Team All America honors as a senior.  His resume includes 39 starts.  1 thing I hated to see because he'll get flagged for not being on the LOS because of it - is how far back he keeps his right foot in his stance. When you see him on film that's an advertisement that he doesn't have quick feet and/or ideal lateral movement in pass pro (so he's had a tendency to lose his block on the right edge).  Good news?  He's lost a lot of weight since the season which should help the issue I spoke of as well as an OL Coach like Callahan.  He's a GREAT run blocker though but there's room for a little more consistency.  Kentucky had an awesome Offensive Line IMO.  I think this guy can become an excellent RT as he gets the reps behind him.  

    DE - Cameron Thomas 6'5" 270 lbs San Diego State - You may be thinking there's better guys than this off the edge but this is pick #44 overall and he's a pretty damn good bargain at that spot.  In his final season in 2021, this junior had 20.5 tackles for a loss, including 10.5 sacks. I think the drop-off after him has me thinking we would have to go edge rush at pick 78 or 99. Possible alternative is ILB Nakobe Dean 5'11" 225 lbs UGA. Ideally, I'd like him at least a couple inches taller; but this kid can do anything IMO. If you watch enough of this guy - your football wood factor is going to go from balsa to sequoia.  We'd have a great young pair of LBers with him and JOK in a defense that will need this type of pairing.  Having said that, the best way to keep blockers off them is to get way stronger at DT than we are at this time.  It's gonna be interesting to see what the plan is.

  • @flugel Hall I'm still working on. He's something of an enigma and a project that has Buckner lite type upside.  On the flip side, if the  mental and 2nd nature technique  game of his doesn't improve, then I think back to Xavier Cooper or Caleb Brantley.  Twitchy, gifted dline with great to elite 1st step burst, but little else.  I'll get around to posting my watchings of him at some point this weekend. Busy between work and studying. 

    As for Dean out of UGA at 5'11... don't forget about Ohio's own London Fletcher. Sometimes when you can ball, you just ball at that height.  ( I can sympathize ??) 

  • Possibilities at Pick 44:

    WR - George Pickens 6'3"  UGA   - Awesome prospect with great hands. A lot of mocks project him to Cleveland but I could see Detroit getting him at #32 or #34.  GB could land him at #22 or #28.  KC is another team that may be interested at #29 or #30.  Jax could be very interested at pick #33 or the NYJ at #35.  All depends on the run at this very deep position as well as the anticipated run on edge rushers (which could push Pickens back to Cleveland). My favorite alternative if he's gone (and the Browns are still going WR at #44) is David Bell 6'2" Purdue.  I'll never forget the positive impact and spark that Jarvis Landry brought to our offense despite not being blessed with great speed. When I've seen him play, he reminded of Jarvis in that way.  Very productive, runs great routes inside or out, and has great hands. Had 93 catches for 1286 yards and 6 TD in just 11 games in 2021.

    DT - Travis Jones 6'4" 326 lbs Connecticut - Huge need; but no longer a sleeper in this draft when he's recently been mentioned in round 1 to upper round 2 consideration.  His biggest competition at this spot is going to be the early run on those at another position (Edge Rushers).  If available, he would really upgrade our biggest weakness on defense by far.  Possible alternative is DT Logan Hall, 6'6" 278 lbs Houston.  Lindy's Pro Football Draft Guide lists  him as the Pass Rush Prototype with the versatility to rush inside or outside. The Millennial author said "he's twitched up with good hand quickness and a variety of natural moves." I haven't seen a lot of him but I like reading about his flexibility to play outside or inside in the pass rush.  That said, nobody researches players better than Tia and if he doesn't think Hall is anything special - I may have to rethink the alternative (if Jones is already gone) or open it up to you guys for a better alternative.

    C - Dohnovan West 6'3" 300 lbs Arizona State - This kid can't even spell his 1st name right - I'm already in love!  I watched some film of him to see if the Draft Guide info made sense; and it did.  Unfortunately, I didn't think the rest of his line was very good at all in the 2 games I watched.  A lot of his efforts were lost or wasted in the reality of "you're only as good as your last guy."  Lindy's Draft Guide hails him as the Run Blocking Prototype stating "Capable of uprooting Nose Tackles and sending linebackers flying.  West has pop in his hands that few Centers bring to the table in the running game."  My Take?  Putting a prospect like this between our well respected OGs could take our inside running game to another level. Another thing to think about here is the Ratbirds are always big and strong at DT (and a have a sick feeling Jordan Davis will land right on their draft slot so we better have a better plan than Nick Harris).  Possible alternative to a Center will be OT Darian Kinnard, 6'5" OT Kentucky.  He's not a finished product by any means; but I've seen enough film to see why he earned 1st Team All America honors as a senior.  His resume includes 39 starts.  1 thing I hated to see because he'll get flagged for not being on the LOS because of it - is how far back he keeps his right foot in his stance. When you see him on film that's an advertisement that he doesn't have quick feet and/or ideal lateral movement in pass pro (so he's had a tendency to lose his block on the right edge).  Good news?  He's lost a lot of weight since the season which should help the issue I spoke of as well as an OL Coach like Callahan.  He's a GREAT run blocker though but there's room for a little more consistency.  Kentucky had an awesome Offensive Line IMO.  I think this guy can become an excellent RT as he gets the reps behind him.  

    DE - Cameron Thomas 6'5" 270 lbs San Diego State - You may be thinking there's better guys than this off the edge but this is pick #44 overall and he's a pretty damn good bargain at that spot.  In his final season in 2021, this junior had 20.5 tackles for a loss, including 10.5 sacks. I think the drop-off after him has me thinking we would have to go edge rush at pick 78 or 99. Possible alternative is ILB Nakobe Dean 5'11" 225 lbs UGA. Ideally, I'd like him at least a couple inches taller; but this kid can do anything IMO. If you watch enough of this guy - your football wood factor is going to go from balsa to sequoia.  We'd have a great young pair of LBers with him and JOK in a defense that will need this type of pairing.  Having said that, the best way to keep blockers off them is to get way stronger at DT than we are at this time.  It's gonna be interesting to see what the plan is.

    @flugel said:

    Possibilities at Pick 44:

    WR - George Pickens 6'3"  UGA   - Awesome prospect with great hands. A lot of mocks project him to Cleveland but I could see Detroit getting him at #32 or #34.  GB could land him at #22 or #28.  KC is another team that may be interested at #29 or #30.  Jax could be very interested at pick #33 or the NYJ at #35.  All depends on the run at this very deep position as well as the anticipated run on edge rushers (which could push Pickens back to Cleveland). My favorite alternative if he's gone (and the Browns are still going WR at #44) is David Bell 6'2" Purdue.  I'll never forget the positive impact and spark that Jarvis Landry brought to our offense despite not being blessed with great speed. When I've seen him play, he reminded of Jarvis in that way.  Very productive, runs great routes inside or out, and has great hands. Had 93 catches for 1286 yards and 6 TD in just 11 games in 2021.

    DT - Travis Jones 6'4" 326 lbs Connecticut - Huge need; but no longer a sleeper in this draft when he's recently been mentioned in round 1 to upper round 2 consideration.  His biggest competition at this spot is going to be the early run on those at another position (Edge Rushers).  If available, he would really upgrade our biggest weakness on defense by far.  Possible alternative is DT Logan Hall, 6'6" 278 lbs Houston.  Lindy's Pro Football Draft Guide lists  him as the Pass Rush Prototype with the versatility to rush inside or outside. The Millennial author said "he's twitched up with good hand quickness and a variety of natural moves." I haven't seen a lot of him but I like reading about his flexibility to play outside or inside in the pass rush.  That said, nobody researches players better than Tia and if he doesn't think Hall is anything special - I may have to rethink the alternative (if Jones is already gone) or open it up to you guys for a better alternative.

    C - Dohnovan West 6'3" 300 lbs Arizona State - This kid can't even spell his 1st name right - I'm already in love!  I watched some film of him to see if the Draft Guide info made sense; and it did.  Unfortunately, I didn't think the rest of his line was very good at all in the 2 games I watched.  A lot of his efforts were lost or wasted in the reality of "you're only as good as your last guy."  Lindy's Draft Guide hails him as the Run Blocking Prototype stating "Capable of uprooting Nose Tackles and sending linebackers flying.  West has pop in his hands that few Centers bring to the table in the running game."  My Take?  Putting a prospect like this between our well respected OGs could take our inside running game to another level. Another thing to think about here is the Ratbirds are always big and strong at DT (and a have a sick feeling Jordan Davis will land right on their draft slot so we better have a better plan than Nick Harris).  Possible alternative to a Center will be OT Darian Kinnard, 6'5" OT Kentucky.  He's not a finished product by any means; but I've seen enough film to see why he earned 1st Team All America honors as a senior.  His resume includes 39 starts.  1 thing I hated to see because he'll get flagged for not being on the LOS because of it - is how far back he keeps his right foot in his stance. When you see him on film that's an advertisement that he doesn't have quick feet and/or ideal lateral movement in pass pro (so he's had a tendency to lose his block on the right edge).  Good news?  He's lost a lot of weight since the season which should help the issue I spoke of as well as an OL Coach like Callahan.  He's a GREAT run blocker though but there's room for a little more consistency.  Kentucky had an awesome Offensive Line IMO.  I think this guy can become an excellent RT as he gets the reps behind him.  

    DE - Cameron Thomas 6'5" 270 lbs San Diego State - You may be thinking there's better guys than this off the edge but this is pick #44 overall and he's a pretty damn good bargain at that spot.  In his final season in 2021, this junior had 20.5 tackles for a loss, including 10.5 sacks. I think the drop-off after him has me thinking we would have to go edge rush at pick 78 or 99. Possible alternative is ILB Nakobe Dean 5'11" 225 lbs UGA. Ideally, I'd like him at least a couple inches taller; but this kid can do anything IMO. If you watch enough of this guy - your football wood factor is going to go from balsa to sequoia.  We'd have a great young pair of LBers with him and JOK in a defense that will need this type of pairing.  Having said that, the best way to keep blockers off them is to get way stronger at DT than we are at this time.  It's gonna be interesting to see what the plan is.

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

  • @flugel said:

    Possibilities at Pick 44:

    WR - George Pickens 6'3"  UGA   - Awesome prospect with great hands. A lot of mocks project him to Cleveland but I could see Detroit getting him at #32 or #34.  GB could land him at #22 or #28.  KC is another team that may be interested at #29 or #30.  Jax could be very interested at pick #33 or the NYJ at #35.  All depends on the run at this very deep position as well as the anticipated run on edge rushers (which could push Pickens back to Cleveland). My favorite alternative if he's gone (and the Browns are still going WR at #44) is David Bell 6'2" Purdue.  I'll never forget the positive impact and spark that Jarvis Landry brought to our offense despite not being blessed with great speed. When I've seen him play, he reminded of Jarvis in that way.  Very productive, runs great routes inside or out, and has great hands. Had 93 catches for 1286 yards and 6 TD in just 11 games in 2021.

    DT - Travis Jones 6'4" 326 lbs Connecticut - Huge need; but no longer a sleeper in this draft when he's recently been mentioned in round 1 to upper round 2 consideration.  His biggest competition at this spot is going to be the early run on those at another position (Edge Rushers).  If available, he would really upgrade our biggest weakness on defense by far.  Possible alternative is DT Logan Hall, 6'6" 278 lbs Houston.  Lindy's Pro Football Draft Guide lists  him as the Pass Rush Prototype with the versatility to rush inside or outside. The Millennial author said "he's twitched up with good hand quickness and a variety of natural moves." I haven't seen a lot of him but I like reading about his flexibility to play outside or inside in the pass rush.  That said, nobody researches players better than Tia and if he doesn't think Hall is anything special - I may have to rethink the alternative (if Jones is already gone) or open it up to you guys for a better alternative.

    C - Dohnovan West 6'3" 300 lbs Arizona State - This kid can't even spell his 1st name right - I'm already in love!  I watched some film of him to see if the Draft Guide info made sense; and it did.  Unfortunately, I didn't think the rest of his line was very good at all in the 2 games I watched.  A lot of his efforts were lost or wasted in the reality of "you're only as good as your last guy."  Lindy's Draft Guide hails him as the Run Blocking Prototype stating "Capable of uprooting Nose Tackles and sending linebackers flying.  West has pop in his hands that few Centers bring to the table in the running game."  My Take?  Putting a prospect like this between our well respected OGs could take our inside running game to another level. Another thing to think about here is the Ratbirds are always big and strong at DT (and a have a sick feeling Jordan Davis will land right on their draft slot so we better have a better plan than Nick Harris).  Possible alternative to a Center will be OT Darian Kinnard, 6'5" OT Kentucky.  He's not a finished product by any means; but I've seen enough film to see why he earned 1st Team All America honors as a senior.  His resume includes 39 starts.  1 thing I hated to see because he'll get flagged for not being on the LOS because of it - is how far back he keeps his right foot in his stance. When you see him on film that's an advertisement that he doesn't have quick feet and/or ideal lateral movement in pass pro (so he's had a tendency to lose his block on the right edge).  Good news?  He's lost a lot of weight since the season which should help the issue I spoke of as well as an OL Coach like Callahan.  He's a GREAT run blocker though but there's room for a little more consistency.  Kentucky had an awesome Offensive Line IMO.  I think this guy can become an excellent RT as he gets the reps behind him.  

    DE - Cameron Thomas 6'5" 270 lbs San Diego State - You may be thinking there's better guys than this off the edge but this is pick #44 overall and he's a pretty damn good bargain at that spot.  In his final season in 2021, this junior had 20.5 tackles for a loss, including 10.5 sacks. I think the drop-off after him has me thinking we would have to go edge rush at pick 78 or 99. Possible alternative is ILB Nakobe Dean 5'11" 225 lbs UGA. Ideally, I'd like him at least a couple inches taller; but this kid can do anything IMO. If you watch enough of this guy - your football wood factor is going to go from balsa to sequoia.  We'd have a great young pair of LBers with him and JOK in a defense that will need this type of pairing.  Having said that, the best way to keep blockers off them is to get way stronger at DT than we are at this time.  It's gonna be interesting to see what the plan is.

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

    @gumby73 said:

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

    I thought Jurgens moved really well during the combine.   Seems like a great fit for zone blocking scheme 

  • @flugel said:

    Possibilities at Pick 44:

    WR - George Pickens 6'3"  UGA   - Awesome prospect with great hands. A lot of mocks project him to Cleveland but I could see Detroit getting him at #32 or #34.  GB could land him at #22 or #28.  KC is another team that may be interested at #29 or #30.  Jax could be very interested at pick #33 or the NYJ at #35.  All depends on the run at this very deep position as well as the anticipated run on edge rushers (which could push Pickens back to Cleveland). My favorite alternative if he's gone (and the Browns are still going WR at #44) is David Bell 6'2" Purdue.  I'll never forget the positive impact and spark that Jarvis Landry brought to our offense despite not being blessed with great speed. When I've seen him play, he reminded of Jarvis in that way.  Very productive, runs great routes inside or out, and has great hands. Had 93 catches for 1286 yards and 6 TD in just 11 games in 2021.

    DT - Travis Jones 6'4" 326 lbs Connecticut - Huge need; but no longer a sleeper in this draft when he's recently been mentioned in round 1 to upper round 2 consideration.  His biggest competition at this spot is going to be the early run on those at another position (Edge Rushers).  If available, he would really upgrade our biggest weakness on defense by far.  Possible alternative is DT Logan Hall, 6'6" 278 lbs Houston.  Lindy's Pro Football Draft Guide lists  him as the Pass Rush Prototype with the versatility to rush inside or outside. The Millennial author said "he's twitched up with good hand quickness and a variety of natural moves." I haven't seen a lot of him but I like reading about his flexibility to play outside or inside in the pass rush.  That said, nobody researches players better than Tia and if he doesn't think Hall is anything special - I may have to rethink the alternative (if Jones is already gone) or open it up to you guys for a better alternative.

    C - Dohnovan West 6'3" 300 lbs Arizona State - This kid can't even spell his 1st name right - I'm already in love!  I watched some film of him to see if the Draft Guide info made sense; and it did.  Unfortunately, I didn't think the rest of his line was very good at all in the 2 games I watched.  A lot of his efforts were lost or wasted in the reality of "you're only as good as your last guy."  Lindy's Draft Guide hails him as the Run Blocking Prototype stating "Capable of uprooting Nose Tackles and sending linebackers flying.  West has pop in his hands that few Centers bring to the table in the running game."  My Take?  Putting a prospect like this between our well respected OGs could take our inside running game to another level. Another thing to think about here is the Ratbirds are always big and strong at DT (and a have a sick feeling Jordan Davis will land right on their draft slot so we better have a better plan than Nick Harris).  Possible alternative to a Center will be OT Darian Kinnard, 6'5" OT Kentucky.  He's not a finished product by any means; but I've seen enough film to see why he earned 1st Team All America honors as a senior.  His resume includes 39 starts.  1 thing I hated to see because he'll get flagged for not being on the LOS because of it - is how far back he keeps his right foot in his stance. When you see him on film that's an advertisement that he doesn't have quick feet and/or ideal lateral movement in pass pro (so he's had a tendency to lose his block on the right edge).  Good news?  He's lost a lot of weight since the season which should help the issue I spoke of as well as an OL Coach like Callahan.  He's a GREAT run blocker though but there's room for a little more consistency.  Kentucky had an awesome Offensive Line IMO.  I think this guy can become an excellent RT as he gets the reps behind him.  

    DE - Cameron Thomas 6'5" 270 lbs San Diego State - You may be thinking there's better guys than this off the edge but this is pick #44 overall and he's a pretty damn good bargain at that spot.  In his final season in 2021, this junior had 20.5 tackles for a loss, including 10.5 sacks. I think the drop-off after him has me thinking we would have to go edge rush at pick 78 or 99. Possible alternative is ILB Nakobe Dean 5'11" 225 lbs UGA. Ideally, I'd like him at least a couple inches taller; but this kid can do anything IMO. If you watch enough of this guy - your football wood factor is going to go from balsa to sequoia.  We'd have a great young pair of LBers with him and JOK in a defense that will need this type of pairing.  Having said that, the best way to keep blockers off them is to get way stronger at DT than we are at this time.  It's gonna be interesting to see what the plan is.

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

    @gumby73 said:

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

    Thanks Gumbs!  I totally agree with you about feeling like we're not set at all at Center right now. I'm reading and seeing a lot of good things written about Jurgens. I heard he's moving up on a lot of draft charts into upper round 2 territory.  I only saw 1 brief video segment on him; and he was very good at pulling around end from his Center spot.  He also appeared to get out on screens and lead block extremely well.   Even better, he made the key blocks when doing so.  I didn't see a lot of footage where he had an opponent head-up on him to get an impression of how well he'd do against any stout 350 lb defenders he'll see on Sundays though.  He's got the physique, quicks, and ability to get there first, which forecasts an effective blocker IMO.  And looking at those oak tree circumferences on his thighs for his compact 6'1" frame - I get the feeling he can get up under a lot of defenders to nullify their base (and win the leverage wars). 

    Here's what Lindy's Draft Guide says about him as their Prototype for Initial Quickness: "Centers with truly elite quickness aren't all that common, but Jurgens has it.  He has special burst out of his stance, and it allows him to hit angles that most blockers can't attempt."  And then they went on to leave him out of their top 6 Centers.  They did put him in the next tier of "Worth Watching."

    I think it was you that previously mentioned Luke Fortner from Kentucky as another good prospect.  If we don't go Center as early as round 2, he'd be really good pick for us a little later.  In 2021, he earned All SEC First Team honors on a very good line that competed in a great conference. 

    By the end of the draft, it would be nice if we landed a WR, Center, Tackle, DT, Edge Rusher, LB and DB.  Anything else we can look to sign Undrafted Free Agents.  We shall see...

  • @gumby73 said:

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

    I thought Jurgens moved really well during the combine.   Seems like a great fit for zone blocking scheme 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I thought Jurgens moved really well during the combine.   Seems like a great fit for zone blocking scheme 

    Well said!  He'll probably be the apex of someone's ZBS.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

    Thanks Gumbs!  I totally agree with you about feeling like we're not set at all at Center right now. I'm reading and seeing a lot of good things written about Jurgens. I heard he's moving up on a lot of draft charts into upper round 2 territory.  I only saw 1 brief video segment on him; and he was very good at pulling around end from his Center spot.  He also appeared to get out on screens and lead block extremely well.   Even better, he made the key blocks when doing so.  I didn't see a lot of footage where he had an opponent head-up on him to get an impression of how well he'd do against any stout 350 lb defenders he'll see on Sundays though.  He's got the physique, quicks, and ability to get there first, which forecasts an effective blocker IMO.  And looking at those oak tree circumferences on his thighs for his compact 6'1" frame - I get the feeling he can get up under a lot of defenders to nullify their base (and win the leverage wars). 

    Here's what Lindy's Draft Guide says about him as their Prototype for Initial Quickness: "Centers with truly elite quickness aren't all that common, but Jurgens has it.  He has special burst out of his stance, and it allows him to hit angles that most blockers can't attempt."  And then they went on to leave him out of their top 6 Centers.  They did put him in the next tier of "Worth Watching."

    I think it was you that previously mentioned Luke Fortner from Kentucky as another good prospect.  If we don't go Center as early as round 2, he'd be really good pick for us a little later.  In 2021, he earned All SEC First Team honors on a very good line that competed in a great conference. 

    By the end of the draft, it would be nice if we landed a WR, Center, Tackle, DT, Edge Rusher, LB and DB.  Anything else we can look to sign Undrafted Free Agents.  We shall see...

    @flugel said:

    By the end of the draft, it would be nice if we landed a WR, Center, Tackle, DT, Edge Rusher, LB and DB.  Anything else we can look to sign Undrafted Free Agents.  We shall see...

    Enjoyed the read Tom. Give me a call on Sat or Sunday after the draft. We'll compare your notes to the final outcome. I have to admit I have not paid much attention to the draft after we traded away all those #1's. It kind of put a damper on our yearly 7 round BB draft thingy as well. However I do plan to print out a couple of the 7 round pre-draft prognostications this week so I can follow along and see what we have left to pick over.

    PS-and I don't believe anything that anyone like Berry says this late before the draft. Too many are sending out smoke and mirrors right now.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Excellent insights Flugs ? 

    I keep seeing reads of the Center in Donovan West, falling into the same rounds where the Nebraska center Cam Jurgens get's drafted.. Some think it's a rather large gap of 2nd to 4th round. ? Berry (at presser) seems to like the thoughts of Harris & Pocic at the position...I don't ?.. I'd be running the card in for Cam Jurgens sitting there with two picks in the 4th... 

    download.jpg.9eb27113487aa07481bce7459b017e2c.jpg  download.jpg.30d59433863c79dde98a8d7ea7bbbab8.jpg  those be some lower base ham hocks... boyz

    Thanks Gumbs!  I totally agree with you about feeling like we're not set at all at Center right now. I'm reading and seeing a lot of good things written about Jurgens. I heard he's moving up on a lot of draft charts into upper round 2 territory.  I only saw 1 brief video segment on him; and he was very good at pulling around end from his Center spot.  He also appeared to get out on screens and lead block extremely well.   Even better, he made the key blocks when doing so.  I didn't see a lot of footage where he had an opponent head-up on him to get an impression of how well he'd do against any stout 350 lb defenders he'll see on Sundays though.  He's got the physique, quicks, and ability to get there first, which forecasts an effective blocker IMO.  And looking at those oak tree circumferences on his thighs for his compact 6'1" frame - I get the feeling he can get up under a lot of defenders to nullify their base (and win the leverage wars). 

    Here's what Lindy's Draft Guide says about him as their Prototype for Initial Quickness: "Centers with truly elite quickness aren't all that common, but Jurgens has it.  He has special burst out of his stance, and it allows him to hit angles that most blockers can't attempt."  And then they went on to leave him out of their top 6 Centers.  They did put him in the next tier of "Worth Watching."

    I think it was you that previously mentioned Luke Fortner from Kentucky as another good prospect.  If we don't go Center as early as round 2, he'd be really good pick for us a little later.  In 2021, he earned All SEC First Team honors on a very good line that competed in a great conference. 

    By the end of the draft, it would be nice if we landed a WR, Center, Tackle, DT, Edge Rusher, LB and DB.  Anything else we can look to sign Undrafted Free Agents.  We shall see...

    @flugel said:

    ......Here's what Lindy's Draft Guide says about him as their Prototype for Initial Quickness: "Centers with truly elite quickness aren't all that common, but Jurgens has it.  He has special burst out of his stance, and it allows him to hit angles that most blockers can't attempt."  And then they went on to leave him out of their top 6 Centers.  They did put him in the next tier of "Worth Watching."

    I think it was you that previously mentioned Luke Fortner from Kentucky as another good prospect.  If we don't go Center as early as round 2, he'd be really good pick for us a little later.  In 2021, he earned All SEC First Team honors on a very good line that competed in a great conference. 

    By the end of the draft, it would be nice if we landed a WR, Center, Tackle, DT, Edge Rusher, LB and DB.  Anything else we can look to sign Undrafted Free Agents.  We shall see...

    Pretty much a standard wish list for the BROWNS.   

    And no quarterback as part of their development plan ?  No first round pick on a WR ?   How many people thought this after the Watson deal ?  More than a few I'd guess. 

    I wonder how much the term character comes up during the three draft days.

  • @flugel said:

    ......Here's what Lindy's Draft Guide says about him as their Prototype for Initial Quickness: "Centers with truly elite quickness aren't all that common, but Jurgens has it.  He has special burst out of his stance, and it allows him to hit angles that most blockers can't attempt."  And then they went on to leave him out of their top 6 Centers.  They did put him in the next tier of "Worth Watching."

    I think it was you that previously mentioned Luke Fortner from Kentucky as another good prospect.  If we don't go Center as early as round 2, he'd be really good pick for us a little later.  In 2021, he earned All SEC First Team honors on a very good line that competed in a great conference. 

    By the end of the draft, it would be nice if we landed a WR, Center, Tackle, DT, Edge Rusher, LB and DB.  Anything else we can look to sign Undrafted Free Agents.  We shall see...

    Pretty much a standard wish list for the BROWNS.   

    And no quarterback as part of their development plan ?  No first round pick on a WR ?   How many people thought this after the Watson deal ?  More than a few I'd guess. 

    I wonder how much the term character comes up during the three draft days.

    @mjp28 said:

    Pretty much a standard wish list for the BROWNS.   

    And no quarterback as part of their development plan ?  No first round pick on a WR ?   How many people thought this after the Watson deal ?  More than a few I'd guess. 

    I wonder how much the term character comes up during the three draft days.

    One thing is for certain MJ.  It's gonna be interesting.  Stay tuned?  You bet!

  • @flugel said:

    ......Here's what Lindy's Draft Guide says about him as their Prototype for Initial Quickness: "Centers with truly elite quickness aren't all that common, but Jurgens has it.  He has special burst out of his stance, and it allows him to hit angles that most blockers can't attempt."  And then they went on to leave him out of their top 6 Centers.  They did put him in the next tier of "Worth Watching."

    I think it was you that previously mentioned Luke Fortner from Kentucky as another good prospect.  If we don't go Center as early as round 2, he'd be really good pick for us a little later.  In 2021, he earned All SEC First Team honors on a very good line that competed in a great conference. 

    By the end of the draft, it would be nice if we landed a WR, Center, Tackle, DT, Edge Rusher, LB and DB.  Anything else we can look to sign Undrafted Free Agents.  We shall see...

    Pretty much a standard wish list for the BROWNS.   

    And no quarterback as part of their development plan ?  No first round pick on a WR ?   How many people thought this after the Watson deal ?  More than a few I'd guess. 

    I wonder how much the term character comes up during the three draft days.

    @mjp28 said:

    Pretty much a standard wish list for the BROWNS.   

    And no quarterback as part of their development plan ?  No first round pick on a WR ?   How many people thought this after the Watson deal ?  More than a few I'd guess. 

    I wonder how much the term character comes up during the three draft days.

    We just traded for a QB we plan on being here for 5 or more years, so the rush for developmental QB isn't a big priority.  Plus, most teams don't draft that guy in round 1.  I'd say there is a chance we draft a QB this year or next. 

    I actually think Dobbs might be a guy we extend for 2-3 years after this season.  Brissett not so much IMO, but what do i know.

    I think both are here on a 1 year try-out to see which we elect to keep for 3 more.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Pretty much a standard wish list for the BROWNS.   

    And no quarterback as part of their development plan ?  No first round pick on a WR ?   How many people thought this after the Watson deal ?  More than a few I'd guess. 

    I wonder how much the term character comes up during the three draft days.

    We just traded for a QB we plan on being here for 5 or more years, so the rush for developmental QB isn't a big priority.  Plus, most teams don't draft that guy in round 1.  I'd say there is a chance we draft a QB this year or next. 

    I actually think Dobbs might be a guy we extend for 2-3 years after this season.  Brissett not so much IMO, but what do i know.

    I think both are here on a 1 year try-out to see which we elect to keep for 3 more.

    @ballpeen said:

    We just traded for a QB we plan on being here for 5 or more years, so the rush for developmental QB isn't a big priority.  Plus, most teams don't draft that guy in round 1.  I'd say there is a chance we draft a QB this year or next. 

    We had 3 coaches/coaching at the shrine bowl this season. Berry had a zoom meeting with the Brown QB EJ Perry...

    my thinking was Berry might be looking for a UDFA QB camp arm with size & some upside..some team may draft Perry late?..heck, It might be us 

    Could we chance putting one of Dobbs or Brissett on the PS without getting plucked by another team? All these jealous owners & GM's seem to have a ? pointed at AB...

    Man! It's like Thursday will never get here ! ?

  • Just speaking for myself, I would always keep 3 QBs on the active roster.  The position is important enough.  I also feel that there is much to be gained by those guys by being on the sidelines, at the coaches hip.

    I don't know what the plan is.  I have read we may have interest in Perry.  Maybe the plan is to draft or sign him as a UDFA and let Dobbs and Brissett battle it out for the back-up position and cutting the loser.  Again, just me but I think I would rather have Dobbs though the preseason will tell that tale.  In the end, with a question mark over the Watson status we will probably keep both of Brissett and Dobbs on the active and any QB brought in will be the practice guy.

    Maybe not for this year, but I liked the Patriots strategy of drafting a QB fairly high, then using them for trade bait 2-3 years later.  At worst you gain value in the way of a pick.  At best you really do get a QB you can go with.

  • Just speaking for myself, I would always keep 3 QBs on the active roster.  The position is important enough.  I also feel that there is much to be gained by those guys by being on the sidelines, at the coaches hip.

    I don't know what the plan is.  I have read we may have interest in Perry.  Maybe the plan is to draft or sign him as a UDFA and let Dobbs and Brissett battle it out for the back-up position and cutting the loser.  Again, just me but I think I would rather have Dobbs though the preseason will tell that tale.  In the end, with a question mark over the Watson status we will probably keep both of Brissett and Dobbs on the active and any QB brought in will be the practice guy.

    Maybe not for this year, but I liked the Patriots strategy of drafting a QB fairly high, then using them for trade bait 2-3 years later.  At worst you gain value in the way of a pick.  At best you really do get a QB you can go with.

    @ballpeen said:

    Just speaking for myself, I would always keep 3 QBs on the active roster.  The position is important enough.  I also feel that there is much to be gained by those guys by being on the sidelines, at the coaches hip.

    I don't know what the plan is.  I have read we may have interest in Perry.  Maybe the plan is to draft or sign him as a UDFA and let Dobbs and Brissett battle it out for the back-up position and cutting the loser.  Again, just me but I think I would rather have Dobbs though the preseason will tell that tale.  In the end, with a question mark over the Watson status we will probably keep both of Brissett and Dobbs on the active and any QB brought in will be the practice guy.

    Maybe not for this year, but I liked the Patriots strategy of drafting a QB fairly high, then using them for trade bait 2-3 years later.  At worst you gain value in the way of a pick.  At best you really do get a QB you can go with.

    I would think strategy would be to get a day 4 QB in the 5-7 rounds.  They can showcase enough talent in preseason to make someone give up a 2nd round pick (compensation the pats got for Jimmy G)  I don’t see enough playing time with a developmental QB in the next four years to show off enough to get better picks.  In a couple years let’s revisit this 

  • Malik Willis, QB - Liberty.

    He doesn't run like Vick, Lamar or even Jake Locker.   His mobility reminds me of a little quicker version of Donovan Mcnabb.  But for all the rage of him being a "mobile" QB, he appears (by my 1 whole game watched) to be just that.  He's a QB first who looks perfectly content not leaving the pocket until he has to/ is forced to.  

  • On tonights NFL Nation Mock Draft on ESPN, where a local media member drafts for every respective team, Chris Olave was taken by the Houston Texans with the #13 overall pick, formerly owned by the Browns.

    Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson was already off the clock, taken by the NY Jets at #10 overall. 

  • Here's Doug Lesmerises' of the Cleveland Plain Dealer's final mock.

    Rd 2: #44 WR George Pickens, Georgia
    Rd 3: #78 DE Josh Paschel, Kentucky
    Rd 3: #99 CB Coby Bryant, Cincinnati
    Rd 4: #118 TE Charlie Kolar, Iowa
    Rd 5: #150 K Cade York, LSU
    Rd 7: #223 S Bubba Bolden, Miami
    Rd 7: #246 DT Haskell Garrett, Ohio State 

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/04/final-cleveland-browns-mock-draft-hitting-several-needs-in-seven-rounds-doug-lesmerises-browns-mock-draft-7.html

  • Was Bill Belichick's dog drafting every other pick in that guy's mock? If Coby Bryant is available at the end of the 3rd color me shocked.. same with most of those guys

  • Was Bill Belichick's dog drafting every other pick in that guy's mock? If Coby Bryant is available at the end of the 3rd color me shocked.. same with most of those guys

    @unsympathetic said:

    Was Bill Belichick's dog drafting every other pick in that guy's mock? If Coby Bryant is available at the end of the 3rd color me shocked.. same with most of those guys

    The thing with mocks is they are easy to mock so to speak.  Some site could mock the 1st round exactly how it plays out on Thursday and it would seem unbelievable and flawed.