Skip to content

Haslams Eyeing New Domed Stadium for Browns

The Browns Board
64 13 2.8k 1
  • Why would you build a dome? I get the appeal for obvious reasons but isn’t Cleveland/steeler football kind of rooted in those shit weather games? I feel like it leaves behind a identity. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #39

    @vagitron said:

    Why would you build a dome? I get the appeal for obvious reasons but isn’t Cleveland/steeler football kind of rooted in those shit weather games? I feel like it leaves behind a identity. 

    So much for  "the good ol' days"  having a northern climate single use open stadium just doesn't make good business "dollars & cents ".  

    And now just putting lipstick on that old pig the current CBS mediocre mess is a bad idea and get stuck with it for decades into the future is just a bad sports and business decision. 

    We put up with that lovable but totally outdated two sport Municipal Stadium for my whole lifetime plus several decades and did what.......hurriedly built another open stadium right on Lake Erie.  Bad decision. 

    I can't wait to see what happens next.     😕

    YA5LNXJK5NHJ3EJZSYQURYT46A.jpg

  • @nickers said:

    I totally concur... It takes an exciting element away from the game... The game is essentially being catered to bunch of woke sissies... And Goodeel is the biggest sissy cheerleader of them all.. I agree with Jon Gruden when he says Goodell is pussifying the league...

    Oh Jesus here we go...

    This isn't "woke" anything. It just makes business sense. Stop shoving your idiotic ideas where they don't belong. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @mld-woody said:

    Oh Jesus here we go...

    This isn't "woke" anything. It just makes business sense. Stop shoving your idiotic ideas where they don't belong. 

    Stop commenting on things you know nothing about... Commie!

  • @mld-woody said:

    Oh Jesus here we go...

    This isn't "woke" anything. It just makes business sense. Stop shoving your idiotic ideas where they don't belong. 

    Stop commenting on things you know nothing about... Commie!

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @nickers said:

    Stop commenting on things you know nothing about... Commie!

    This guy played Little League Football in Willoughby or somewhere.

    He's obviously not a pussy. Total badass there. 

  • Why would you build a dome? I get the appeal for obvious reasons but isn’t Cleveland/steeler football kind of rooted in those shit weather games? I feel like it leaves behind a identity. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @vagitron said:

    Why would you build a dome? I get the appeal for obvious reasons but isn’t Cleveland/steeler football kind of rooted in those shit weather games? I feel like it leaves behind a identity. 

    Because the last thing a midwestern Rust Belt city needs to do is spend a ton of money on a building that can barely be used to make money.

    I love outdoor football. The nasty the weather, the better. Fiscally, it makes no sense, though. 

  • Why would you build a dome? I get the appeal for obvious reasons but isn’t Cleveland/steeler football kind of rooted in those shit weather games? I feel like it leaves behind a identity. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #43

    @vagitron said:

    Why would you build a dome? I get the appeal for obvious reasons but isn’t Cleveland/steeler football kind of rooted in those shit weather games? I feel like it leaves behind a identity. 

    I'll agree... Green Bay that has way worse weather prospects than Cleveland December on, doesn't have a dome on the horizon...   None of the other AFC North teams have domes... Said it before, if you can afford tickets to an NFL game, you can afford to go to REI and spend $200+ bucks on a cold weather parka, and some Sorel boots.  I can tell you from a SW Ohio perspective, Da Bungles will never have a domed stadium in my lifetime- I damn guarantee it.  Not with Mike Brown not being able to spring for an indoor practice facility. And if he asked for a dome, Hamilton County would tell him to go pound salt. 

    @mld-woody said:

    Oh Jesus here we go...

    This isn't "woke" anything. It just makes business sense. Stop shoving your idiotic ideas where they don't belong. 

    It may not make business sense Woodster, but it does make a lot of aesthetic sense. The majority of NFL venues- including at least a dozen with cold weather prospects agree.  

    The fan base that goes to games has changed- and not for the better. To give away my age, I probably saw my first Browns game "live" circa 1960. Shit, it was like being at a high school game. Screaming yelling, guys in their 70s jumping up and down.  No longer. Blame NFL greed in part for that. Gramps got courtesy tickets two rows behind the Indians dugout that were listed at $4 bucks. I'll let you pull out the inflation calculator what that is in 2022 dollars, but I'll bet it sure as shit isn't anywhere close. 

    Ah give me those good old days when if you were 1\2 discreet, you could haul any type of adult beverage you wanted to into the stadium... Fifths? No prob. 2 liter 7Ups that were 1\2 seven and 1\2 vodka.  The famous Dawg Pound Dawg House that contained a keg.  All in the name of "security" or forcing you to buy a $12 buck Great Lakes once you get inside. Not Rocket Science why tailgating has become a tradition.  

    I'm in Section 111... almost like being at the opera now.   DOWN IN FRONT!!!!  I'd rather check my Fantasy stats on my phone than watch the game....  🙁  I get seriously pissed- and this isn't isolated to Cleveland....  When it comes over the PA Bullhorn...  IT'S THIRD DOWN!!!!  You think I don't know that? Apparently a lot of the younger generation who are too busy playing phone tag texting et al- apparently does need to be "woke" Woody.   My 0.02   

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #44

    I hate Jimmy Haslam but I think it would probably be good for the city of Cleveland to have a dome somewhere and do some other kind of development on the lakefront.

    On the other hand I hate turf but I hate Frozen Dirt too.

    WSS

  • I hate Jimmy Haslam but I think it would probably be good for the city of Cleveland to have a dome somewhere and do some other kind of development on the lakefront.

    On the other hand I hate turf but I hate Frozen Dirt too.

    WSS

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @westside-steve said:

    I hate Jimmy Haslam but I think it would probably be good for the city of Cleveland to have a dome somewhere and do some other kind of development on the lakefront.

    On the other hand I hate turf but I hate Frozen Dirt too.

    WSS

    Eliminates our wind problems for our elusive kicker anyway. Maybe now we can actually find one with accuracy.?️???

  • @westside-steve said:

    I hate Jimmy Haslam but I think it would probably be good for the city of Cleveland to have a dome somewhere and do some other kind of development on the lakefront.

    On the other hand I hate turf but I hate Frozen Dirt too.

    WSS

    Eliminates our wind problems for our elusive kicker anyway. Maybe now we can actually find one with accuracy.?️???

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @texasag1969 said:

    Eliminates our wind problems for our elusive kicker anyway. Maybe now we can actually find one with accuracy.?️???

    " it's raining on both sides of the ball."

    WSS

  • I'm thinking that they're just gonna keep moving this thread on ya.  🙂  

    So, as I said in the 'other' thread, that got moved to the New Stadium abyss;  Having a dome could help to keep Watson for longer since he hates cold weather.  (that's like a half-joke)

    And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @orion said:

    I'm thinking that they're just gonna keep moving this thread on ya.  🙂  

    So, as I said in the 'other' thread, that got moved to the New Stadium abyss;  Having a dome could help to keep Watson for longer since he hates cold weather.  (that's like a half-joke)

    And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

    Well, the Romans also used slaves and built things over decades.

  • @orion said:

    I'm thinking that they're just gonna keep moving this thread on ya.  🙂  

    So, as I said in the 'other' thread, that got moved to the New Stadium abyss;  Having a dome could help to keep Watson for longer since he hates cold weather.  (that's like a half-joke)

    And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

    Well, the Romans also used slaves and built things over decades.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @ballpeen said:

    Well, the Romans also used slaves and built things over decades.

    We have septic systems in my town.  I use the line, "I can't wait until we catch up to the ancient Romans and get sewers."  🙂

  • @vagitron said:

    Why would you build a dome? I get the appeal for obvious reasons but isn’t Cleveland/steeler football kind of rooted in those shit weather games? I feel like it leaves behind a identity. 

    Because the last thing a midwestern Rust Belt city needs to do is spend a ton of money on a building that can barely be used to make money.

    I love outdoor football. The nasty the weather, the better. Fiscally, it makes no sense, though. 

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #49

    @dutch-oven said:

    Because the last thing a midwestern Rust Belt city needs to do is spend a ton of money on a building that can barely be used to make money.

    I love outdoor football. The nasty the weather, the better. Fiscally, it makes no sense, though. 

    Yea I agree. However Heinz gets used for plenty, weather permitting. I can’t imagine the Steelers ever playing in a dome and frankly the same goes for the browns. 

  • @vagitron said:

    Why would you build a dome? I get the appeal for obvious reasons but isn’t Cleveland/steeler football kind of rooted in those shit weather games? I feel like it leaves behind a identity. 

    I totally concur... It takes an exciting element away from the game... The game is essentially being catered to bunch of woke sissies... And Goodeel is the biggest sissy cheerleader of them all.. I agree with Jon Gruden when he says Goodell is pussifying the league...

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #50

    @nickers said:

    I totally concur... It takes an exciting element away from the game... The game is essentially being catered to bunch of woke sissies... And Goodeel is the biggest sissy cheerleader of them all.. I agree with Jon Gruden when he says Goodell is pussifying the league...

    I don’t think it has anything to do with being or not being woke. I agree goodell seriously sucks but don’t think gruden should be saying much of anything. Either way a dome in Cleveland goes against team culture. Pittsburgh runs a lot out of PPG when the weather sucks, the Q if it’s still the Q serves that purpose. Haslam is a dumbass for pushing a dome. Hell maybe he thinks he has enough bad pr with watson he might as well rip the bandaid off and mention a dome. 

  • VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #51

    It would be seriously weird to go to a steeler home game in a damn dome. I’d hate it and it’s not like I love being cold in November/December. However all of that is PART of the Steelers. The wind out of the open end is part of playing at Heinz etc. I also hated playing on turf, it seems nice at first but it’s easy to get hurt and at the nfl level it’s even more likely. Fuck domes and fuck turf and fuck the browns playing in a dome. Lol

  • @orion said:

    I'm thinking that they're just gonna keep moving this thread on ya.  🙂  

    So, as I said in the 'other' thread, that got moved to the New Stadium abyss;  Having a dome could help to keep Watson for longer since he hates cold weather.  (that's like a half-joke)

    And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

    Well, the Romans also used slaves and built things over decades.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @ballpeen said:

    Well, the Romans also used slaves and built things over decades.

    Yeah, guess who does the heavy lifting and digging. 

    I actually remember as a kid when we had ditch diggers in this country.....until  machines could do it better,  faster so good bye ditch diggers.  

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #53

    I still think it foolish to build a open air stadium you can't use half the year.

  • I still think it foolish to build a open air stadium you can't use half the year.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @ballpeen said:

    I still think it foolish to build a open air stadium you can't use half the year.

    This is why we have places like Public Hall and Music Hall that aren't even being utilized for indoor/winter time events... A city treasure basically forgotten which I find really disappointing.. Fuck Jimmy and his money grubbing ideas...I wish he would pack up this fraud of a team and move it to Memphis...

  • @ballpeen said:

    I still think it foolish to build a open air stadium you can't use half the year.

    This is why we have places like Public Hall and Music Hall that aren't even being utilized for indoor/winter time events... A city treasure basically forgotten which I find really disappointing.. Fuck Jimmy and his money grubbing ideas...I wish he would pack up this fraud of a team and move it to Memphis...

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @nickers said:

    This is why we have places like Public Hall and Music Hall that aren't even being utilized for indoor/winter time events... A city treasure basically forgotten which I find really disappointing.. Fuck Jimmy and his money grubbing ideas...I wish he would pack up this fraud of a team and move it to Memphis...

    I think you are in the minority on that one.

    I am all for using the other facilities.  The problem is for some events they aren't big enough.  Some events need a large field or are really expecting to draw 30,000 plus people.

    For me, I don't really give a darn when it comes right down to it.

    First, I don't live in the area any more so other than Browns games, I wouldn't be going.

    Second,  I am old enough i won't be going to games for that much longer.

    Third, I upgraded to club seats about 8 years ago so if it is cold, i have a warm place to go before the game and at halftime...and hell, if it is cold enough i can just stay inside and watch on TV.  I haven't done that yet, but I can if I wish.

  • @nickers said:

    This is why we have places like Public Hall and Music Hall that aren't even being utilized for indoor/winter time events... A city treasure basically forgotten which I find really disappointing.. Fuck Jimmy and his money grubbing ideas...I wish he would pack up this fraud of a team and move it to Memphis...

    I think you are in the minority on that one.

    I am all for using the other facilities.  The problem is for some events they aren't big enough.  Some events need a large field or are really expecting to draw 30,000 plus people.

    For me, I don't really give a darn when it comes right down to it.

    First, I don't live in the area any more so other than Browns games, I wouldn't be going.

    Second,  I am old enough i won't be going to games for that much longer.

    Third, I upgraded to club seats about 8 years ago so if it is cold, i have a warm place to go before the game and at halftime...and hell, if it is cold enough i can just stay inside and watch on TV.  I haven't done that yet, but I can if I wish.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #56

    @ballpeen said:

    I think you are in the minority on that one.

    I am all for using the other facilities.  The problem is for some events they aren't big enough.  Some events need a large field or are really expecting to draw 30,000 plus people......right offhand I could come up dozen or two good offseason and away game uses for a domed stadium 12 MONTHS a year.

    Remember too there are only  1 or 2 preseason and 8 or 9 home football games,  the rest of the time the stadium is mostly empty......especially all winter. 

    Why build a venue for 9 to 12 primary uses.

    Yes.   This is about wise urban planning and to offer an exciting football experience.  Concerts, conventions,  moto racing, rodeos, monster truck shows on and on the uses are endless  IF you have the facilities available. 

    I could go for a retractable roof option for the new Cleveland BROWNS Stadium  just don't blow it again.  

    A beautiful fall day roof open, 20 degrees and blowing snow roof closed.....can't be simpler than that.   🙂

  • @ballpeen said:

    I think you are in the minority on that one.

    I am all for using the other facilities.  The problem is for some events they aren't big enough.  Some events need a large field or are really expecting to draw 30,000 plus people......right offhand I could come up dozen or two good offseason and away game uses for a domed stadium 12 MONTHS a year.

    Remember too there are only  1 or 2 preseason and 8 or 9 home football games,  the rest of the time the stadium is mostly empty......especially all winter. 

    Why build a venue for 9 to 12 primary uses.

    Yes.   This is about wise urban planning and to offer an exciting football experience.  Concerts, conventions,  moto racing, rodeos, monster truck shows on and on the uses are endless  IF you have the facilities available. 

    I could go for a retractable roof option for the new Cleveland BROWNS Stadium  just don't blow it again.  

    A beautiful fall day roof open, 20 degrees and blowing snow roof closed.....can't be simpler than that.   🙂

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @mjp28 said:

    Yes.   This is about wise urban planning and to offer an exciting football experience.  Concerts, conventions,  moto racing, rodeos, monster truck shows on and on the uses are endless  IF you have the facilities available. 

    I could go for a retractable roof option for the new Cleveland BROWNS Stadium  just don't blow it again.  

    A beautiful fall day roof open, 20 degrees and blowing snow roof closed.....can't be simpler than that.   🙂

    One could even say you might only open the roof 2-3 games a year, so is the added cost over a fixed dome necessary?  Those home openers are usually hot as heck.  I'd want the roof closed for those.  In the south, domes are built to keep heat out as much or more over keeping rain or cold out.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Yes.   This is about wise urban planning and to offer an exciting football experience.  Concerts, conventions,  moto racing, rodeos, monster truck shows on and on the uses are endless  IF you have the facilities available. 

    I could go for a retractable roof option for the new Cleveland BROWNS Stadium  just don't blow it again.  

    A beautiful fall day roof open, 20 degrees and blowing snow roof closed.....can't be simpler than that.   🙂

    One could even say you might only open the roof 2-3 games a year, so is the added cost over a fixed dome necessary?  Those home openers are usually hot as heck.  I'd want the roof closed for those.  In the south, domes are built to keep heat out as much or more over keeping rain or cold out.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @ballpeen said:

    One could even say you might only open the roof 2-3 games a year, so is the added cost over a fixed dome necessary?  Those home openers are usually hot as heck.  I'd want the roof closed for those.  In the south, domes are built to keep heat out as much or more over keeping rain or cold out.

    I agree, honestly I think the increased price for a retractable dome for a handful of days a year isn't worth it. 

    I mean, if it was up to me, I'd build a retractable dome that could never be closed during Browns games, but there isn't a chance in hell the NFL would let that happen.