Skip to content

2023 Browns NFL Draft Prospects

The Browns Board
481 19 32.3k 1
  • @flugel said:

    Thanks Gumbs!   It's great to see a big cluster of guys that could be available each time we pick. Very helpful...

     Like most... 

    interested to see the real draft board of players remaining at the 42nd pick, that became the Elijah Moore trade..

    any hope, Berry has some options to jump into the bottom of the 2nd round if worth it? cost pick #74 & a 4th round, pick #111

     62) Philadelphia Eagles

    (where is Philly going to put two 1st rd. picks, plus a low 2nd rounder?) 

    Round 3

    64) Chicago Bears
    65) Houston Texans
    66) Arizona Cardinals
    67) Denver Broncos (from Indianapolis)
    68) Denver Broncos
    69) Los Angeles Rams
    70) Las Vegas Raiders
    71) New Orleans Saints
    72) Tennessee Titans
    73) Houston Texans (from Cleveland)
    74) *****Cleveland Browns (from N.Y. Jets)*****

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    @gumby73 said:

     Like most... 

    interested to see the real draft board of players remaining at the 42nd pick, that became the Elijah Moore trade..

    any hope, Berry has some options to jump into the bottom of the 2nd round if worth it? cost pick #74 & a 4th round, pick #111

     62) Philadelphia Eagles

    (where is Philly going to put two 1st rd. picks, plus a low 2nd rounder?) 

    Round 3

    64) Chicago Bears
    65) Houston Texans
    66) Arizona Cardinals
    67) Denver Broncos (from Indianapolis)
    68) Denver Broncos
    69) Los Angeles Rams
    70) Las Vegas Raiders
    71) New Orleans Saints
    72) Tennessee Titans
    73) Houston Texans (from Cleveland)
    74) *****Cleveland Browns (from N.Y. Jets)*****

    It feels like we need to.  Of the DTs we signed, 2 of them had disappointing 1st gigs.  One didn't survive his 1st contract (Hill) and got cut/waived during the 2022 season; then signed by Arizona and then he went on on IR shortly thereafter.  Schwartz is a GREAT Defensive Coach but only a miracle worker can turn Raggedy Ann into Aaron Donald.  Tomlinson was a great addition/proven starter; but we need another reliable guy that could be well worth trading up for in round 2.   If Winfrey takes his meds - I could see Schwartz making him a reliable guy for a rotation up front.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/nfl-gm-2023-draft-class-sucks/?fbclid=IwAR3VZNm-WDd2GNTiuSCCAWGKtx4Qkmh8zv2zMyuNsCa7m2J0KfgK4ShzkwI

    Anonymous GM: "This draft class sucks." 

    Which is why we need to trade into next year with the exception of maybe one or two players. But I have my doubts they will be there for us unless we trade up to get them this year. Classic horns of a dilemma. ??

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/nfl-gm-2023-draft-class-sucks/?fbclid=IwAR3VZNm-WDd2GNTiuSCCAWGKtx4Qkmh8zv2zMyuNsCa7m2J0KfgK4ShzkwI

    Anonymous GM: "This draft class sucks." 

    Let's hope it was Howie Roseman that said that sitting on two 1st round picks (#10 and #30) where top talents aren't matching Philly's remaining needs.  Andrew Berry has close ties with Roseman after working for him as recently as 2019 so I wouldn't count out a trade-up opportunity here. @gumby73 mentioned Philly because of the 2 first round picks and the 63rd overall pick in round 2.   

    We can probably land a Mazi Smith or a Keeanu Benton if we find a way to do this up... You give Schwartz a toy like this next to Tomlinson - and it's "GAME ON!"  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/nfl-gm-2023-draft-class-sucks/?fbclid=IwAR3VZNm-WDd2GNTiuSCCAWGKtx4Qkmh8zv2zMyuNsCa7m2J0KfgK4ShzkwI

    Anonymous GM: "This draft class sucks." 

    Let's hope it was Howie Roseman that said that sitting on two 1st round picks (#10 and #30) where top talents aren't matching Philly's remaining needs.  Andrew Berry has close ties with Roseman after working for him as recently as 2019 so I wouldn't count out a trade-up opportunity here. @gumby73 mentioned Philly because of the 2 first round picks and the 63rd overall pick in round 2.   

    We can probably land a Mazi Smith or a Keeanu Benton if we find a way to do this up... You give Schwartz a toy like this next to Tomlinson - and it's "GAME ON!"  

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    @flugel said:

    Let's hope it was Howie Roseman that said that sitting on two 1st round picks (#10 and #30) where top talents aren't matching Philly's remaining needs.  Andrew Berry has close ties with Roseman after working for him as recently as 2019 so I wouldn't count out a trade-up opportunity here. @gumby73 mentioned Philly because of the 2 first round picks and the 63rd overall pick in round 2.   

    We can probably land a Mazi Smith or a Keeanu Benton if we find a way to do this up... You give Schwartz a toy like this next to Tomlinson - and it's "GAME ON!"  

    I give us maybe a 5% chance of moving up into the first round to go do something like that. I expect absolute crickets out of Berea on Thursday night.?????

  • @flugel said:

    Let's hope it was Howie Roseman that said that sitting on two 1st round picks (#10 and #30) where top talents aren't matching Philly's remaining needs.  Andrew Berry has close ties with Roseman after working for him as recently as 2019 so I wouldn't count out a trade-up opportunity here. @gumby73 mentioned Philly because of the 2 first round picks and the 63rd overall pick in round 2.   

    We can probably land a Mazi Smith or a Keeanu Benton if we find a way to do this up... You give Schwartz a toy like this next to Tomlinson - and it's "GAME ON!"  

    I give us maybe a 5% chance of moving up into the first round to go do something like that. I expect absolute crickets out of Berea on Thursday night.?????

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    I give us maybe a 5% chance of moving up into the first round to go do something like that. I expect absolute crickets out of Berea on Thursday night.?????

    I was thinking pick #30 with the understanding that round 1 ends after the 31st pick this year.  I got me a feelin we're gonna get us a big feller as a belated Welcome to Cleveland gift for Schwartz.

    Now don't go hurtin my feelins with this crickets stuff!

  • @dutch-oven said:

    https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/nfl-gm-2023-draft-class-sucks/?fbclid=IwAR3VZNm-WDd2GNTiuSCCAWGKtx4Qkmh8zv2zMyuNsCa7m2J0KfgK4ShzkwI

    Anonymous GM: "This draft class sucks." 

    Which is why we need to trade into next year with the exception of maybe one or two players. But I have my doubts they will be there for us unless we trade up to get them this year. Classic horns of a dilemma. ??

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Which is why we need to trade into next year with the exception of maybe one or two players. But I have my doubts they will be there for us unless we trade up to get them this year. Classic horns of a dilemma. ??

    @dutch-oven said:

    https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/nfl-gm-2023-draft-class-sucks/?fbclid=IwAR3VZNm-WDd2GNTiuSCCAWGKtx4Qkmh8zv2zMyuNsCa7m2J0KfgK4ShzkwI

    Anonymous GM: "This draft class sucks." 

    The 2013 draft, widely felt to have been pretty weak. 

    Notable 2nd -4th round picks from that year.

    Johnathan Cyprien 

    Zach Ertz †

    Darius Slay †

    Giovani Bernard 

    Geno Smith †

    Robert Woods 

    Kawann Short †

    Le'Veon Bell †

    Johnathan Hankins 

    Jamie Collins †

    Eddie Lacy †

    Travis Kelce †

    Larry Warford †

    Bennie Logan 

    Tyrann Mathieu †

    T. J. McDonald 

    Terrance Williams 

    Terron Armstead †

    Keenan Allen †

    Logan Ryan

    Jordan Reed †

    Duron Harmon 

    Brandon Williams †

    David Bakhtiari †

    J. C. Tretter 

    William Gholston 

    John Simon 

    Kyle Juszczyk †

     There are always quality football players that can be found.  So just packaging picks and checking out for a full year of drafting isn't in the cards

  • @flugel said:

    Let's hope it was Howie Roseman that said that sitting on two 1st round picks (#10 and #30) where top talents aren't matching Philly's remaining needs.  Andrew Berry has close ties with Roseman after working for him as recently as 2019 so I wouldn't count out a trade-up opportunity here. @gumby73 mentioned Philly because of the 2 first round picks and the 63rd overall pick in round 2.   

    We can probably land a Mazi Smith or a Keeanu Benton if we find a way to do this up... You give Schwartz a toy like this next to Tomlinson - and it's "GAME ON!"  

    I give us maybe a 5% chance of moving up into the first round to go do something like that. I expect absolute crickets out of Berea on Thursday night.?????

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    I give us maybe a 5% chance of moving up into the first round to go do something like that. I expect absolute crickets out of Berea on Thursday night.?????

    .0001%.   I’d say 5% if we had a first round pick next year to entice that kind of move up. 
     

    This “first round” talent this year stinks. If we actually had the #12 pick I’d probably do everything we could do to get a guy like Paris Johnson Jr.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/nfl-gm-2023-draft-class-sucks/?fbclid=IwAR3VZNm-WDd2GNTiuSCCAWGKtx4Qkmh8zv2zMyuNsCa7m2J0KfgK4ShzkwI

    Anonymous GM: "This draft class sucks." 

    Which is why we need to trade into next year with the exception of maybe one or two players. But I have my doubts they will be there for us unless we trade up to get them this year. Classic horns of a dilemma. ??

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Which is why we need to trade into next year with the exception of maybe one or two players. But I have my doubts they will be there for us unless we trade up to get them this year. Classic horns of a dilemma. ??

    I agree, but if this class is as bad as projected, how many GMs are going to want to load up on extra picks this year?

    You never know, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

  • @flugel said:

    Let's hope it was Howie Roseman that said that sitting on two 1st round picks (#10 and #30) where top talents aren't matching Philly's remaining needs.  Andrew Berry has close ties with Roseman after working for him as recently as 2019 so I wouldn't count out a trade-up opportunity here. @gumby73 mentioned Philly because of the 2 first round picks and the 63rd overall pick in round 2.   

    We can probably land a Mazi Smith or a Keeanu Benton if we find a way to do this up... You give Schwartz a toy like this next to Tomlinson - and it's "GAME ON!"  

    I give us maybe a 5% chance of moving up into the first round to go do something like that. I expect absolute crickets out of Berea on Thursday night.?????

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    I give us maybe a 5% chance of moving up into the first round to go do something like that. I expect absolute crickets out of Berea on Thursday night.?????

    The only way that happens is if we offer up more than draft picks.  We will need to jettison a good player to do so.  Chubb and 3rd might do it.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Which is why we need to trade into next year with the exception of maybe one or two players. But I have my doubts they will be there for us unless we trade up to get them this year. Classic horns of a dilemma. ??

    I agree, but if this class is as bad as projected, how many GMs are going to want to load up on extra picks this year?

    You never know, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree, but if this class is as bad as projected, how many GMs are going to want to load up on extra picks this year?

    You never know, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

    Ok, so an un-named GM went on record saying this draft class is horrible during Poker Season.  Anyone wonder why it was important for that GM to do that?  What could he possibly gain from doing so?  

    Healthy consumers don't become that by carelessly winging it.  Research and identifying what you need as well as who can give you that seems like a sensible way of doing things.  There's going to be teams in this draft that are going to get what they want and need.   There's a lot of good players in this draft for the teams that understand what the draft is all about.

    Signing a ton of 1 year contracts in lieu of building through the draft could be a big reason this FO started off with an 11-5 record (largely from remaining personnel from previous regimes); then dropped to 9-8 before dropping to 7-10.  

    We have some important needs that still need to be addressed; and there's players in this draft that can help us. That's the reality for the Browns in the basement of the AFC North.  Once upon a time I was in my 20s hearing people say you just gotta be patient and understand there's always "next year."  Now I'm 59 with a complete understanding that the adopted "next year" mentality has always prevented this franchise from "this year."  As a result, the Browns sport the worst winning percentage in the NFL since 1999 with .330.  Nothing is ever gonna change if you never consider "this year."   That's why we are what our record says we are all the time...

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    Quick summation of some other late to UDFA RBs I've watched. 

     Tavion Thomas, Utah - X pass. Might end up going the Rod Smith route though with a bit of a position switch? Fullbacks with utility still have a place in football. 

     Jordan Mims, Fresno - Fence.  Actually catches the ball well when it's outside his frame.  But his running style can be a bit inefficient.   Wouldn't hate him as a priority UDFA. 

     Hoping to have some time to knock out (most) of the rest of this class. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I give us maybe a 5% chance of moving up into the first round to go do something like that. I expect absolute crickets out of Berea on Thursday night.?????

    The only way that happens is if we offer up more than draft picks.  We will need to jettison a good player to do so.  Chubb and 3rd might do it.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc

    @ballpeen said:

    The only way that happens is if we offer up more than draft picks.  We will need to jettison a good player to do so.  Chubb and 3rd might do it.

    I'm afraid that would be an old Indians "take three steps back" to move one step forward.  Like the Browns did when they traded Paul Warfield to the Dolphins.....

    5 days agoThe Browns had two Pro Bowl wide receivers in Gary Collins (1965 and 1966) plus Paul Warfield, who had made it as a rookie in 1964. So, when Modell was offered a second-round draft pick in...
    In 1970, he was traded to the Miami Dolphins for a draft pick which the Browns used on Purdue University All-American quarterback Mike Phipps. The trade is considered one of the most lopsided...
  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    I was just pointing out.  Not saying I would want that.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I agree, but if this class is as bad as projected, how many GMs are going to want to load up on extra picks this year?

    You never know, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

    Ok, so an un-named GM went on record saying this draft class is horrible during Poker Season.  Anyone wonder why it was important for that GM to do that?  What could he possibly gain from doing so?  

    Healthy consumers don't become that by carelessly winging it.  Research and identifying what you need as well as who can give you that seems like a sensible way of doing things.  There's going to be teams in this draft that are going to get what they want and need.   There's a lot of good players in this draft for the teams that understand what the draft is all about.

    Signing a ton of 1 year contracts in lieu of building through the draft could be a big reason this FO started off with an 11-5 record (largely from remaining personnel from previous regimes); then dropped to 9-8 before dropping to 7-10.  

    We have some important needs that still need to be addressed; and there's players in this draft that can help us. That's the reality for the Browns in the basement of the AFC North.  Once upon a time I was in my 20s hearing people say you just gotta be patient and understand there's always "next year."  Now I'm 59 with a complete understanding that the adopted "next year" mentality has always prevented this franchise from "this year."  As a result, the Browns sport the worst winning percentage in the NFL since 1999 with .330.  Nothing is ever gonna change if you never consider "this year."   That's why we are what our record says we are all the time...

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Ok, so an un-named GM went on record saying this draft class is horrible during Poker Season.  Anyone wonder why it was important for that GM to do that?  What could he possibly gain from doing so?  

    Healthy consumers don't become that by carelessly winging it.  Research and identifying what you need as well as who can give you that seems like a sensible way of doing things.  There's going to be teams in this draft that are going to get what they want and need.   There's a lot of good players in this draft for the teams that understand what the draft is all about.

    Signing a ton of 1 year contracts in lieu of building through the draft could be a big reason this FO started off with an 11-5 record (largely from remaining personnel from previous regimes); then dropped to 9-8 before dropping to 7-10.  

    We have some important needs that still need to be addressed; and there's players in this draft that can help us. That's the reality for the Browns in the basement of the AFC North.  Once upon a time I was in my 20s hearing people say you just gotta be patient and understand there's always "next year."  Now I'm 59 with a complete understanding that the adopted "next year" mentality has always prevented this franchise from "this year."  As a result, the Browns sport the worst winning percentage in the NFL since 1999 with .330.  Nothing is ever gonna change if you never consider "this year."   That's why we are what our record says we are all the time...

    I did say IF this class is weak.  I am not saying it is  or isn't.  I did read somewhere some NFL insider(maybe the same guy) said there were only 12 plyers with 1st round grades..take it for what it's worth.

  • @flugel said:

    Ok, so an un-named GM went on record saying this draft class is horrible during Poker Season.  Anyone wonder why it was important for that GM to do that?  What could he possibly gain from doing so?  

    Healthy consumers don't become that by carelessly winging it.  Research and identifying what you need as well as who can give you that seems like a sensible way of doing things.  There's going to be teams in this draft that are going to get what they want and need.   There's a lot of good players in this draft for the teams that understand what the draft is all about.

    Signing a ton of 1 year contracts in lieu of building through the draft could be a big reason this FO started off with an 11-5 record (largely from remaining personnel from previous regimes); then dropped to 9-8 before dropping to 7-10.  

    We have some important needs that still need to be addressed; and there's players in this draft that can help us. That's the reality for the Browns in the basement of the AFC North.  Once upon a time I was in my 20s hearing people say you just gotta be patient and understand there's always "next year."  Now I'm 59 with a complete understanding that the adopted "next year" mentality has always prevented this franchise from "this year."  As a result, the Browns sport the worst winning percentage in the NFL since 1999 with .330.  Nothing is ever gonna change if you never consider "this year."   That's why we are what our record says we are all the time...

    I did say IF this class is weak.  I am not saying it is  or isn't.  I did read somewhere some NFL insider(maybe the same guy) said there were only 12 plyers with 1st round grades..take it for what it's worth.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    I did say IF this class is weak.  I am not saying it is  or isn't.  I did read somewhere some NFL insider(maybe the same guy) said there were only 12 plyers with 1st round grades..take it for what it's worth.

    You were fine. I didn't have a problem with what you said believe it or not.  I just thought it was a great opportunity to talk about stuff that was shared the other day about a GM saying this draft class sucks.  I don't think the experts are always right; and there's a lot of poker being played via the comments some GMs and scouts purposely share.  I just wanted to make it known they have no freakin way of knowing who belongs where in the draft or what will come of various guys.  Last year's Mr Irrelevant (final pick of round 7) was QB Brock Purdy who won all his regular season starts and a playoff game.   A guy like Tyreek Hill didn't get drafted until round 5.  Teams gotta do their research.

  • @ballpeen said:

    The only way that happens is if we offer up more than draft picks.  We will need to jettison a good player to do so.  Chubb and 3rd might do it.

    I'm afraid that would be an old Indians "take three steps back" to move one step forward.  Like the Browns did when they traded Paul Warfield to the Dolphins.....

    5 days agoThe Browns had two Pro Bowl wide receivers in Gary Collins (1965 and 1966) plus Paul Warfield, who had made it as a rookie in 1964. So, when Modell was offered a second-round draft pick in...
    In 1970, he was traded to the Miami Dolphins for a draft pick which the Browns used on Purdue University All-American quarterback Mike Phipps. The trade is considered one of the most lopsided...
    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    I'm afraid that would be an old Indians "take three steps back" to move one step forward.  Like the Browns did when they traded Paul Warfield to the Dolphins.....

    5 days agoThe Browns had two Pro Bowl wide receivers in Gary Collins (1965 and 1966) plus Paul Warfield, who had made it as a rookie in 1964. So, when Modell was offered a second-round draft pick in...
    In 1970, he was traded to the Miami Dolphins for a draft pick which the Browns used on Purdue University All-American quarterback Mike Phipps. The trade is considered one of the most lopsided...

    I totally agree. Trading away Chubb would be committing Browns suicide and the end of the franchise IMO.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    I don't think it would be the end of the franchise.  It wouldn't be popular.  I'll give you that.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I'm afraid that would be an old Indians "take three steps back" to move one step forward.  Like the Browns did when they traded Paul Warfield to the Dolphins.....

    5 days agoThe Browns had two Pro Bowl wide receivers in Gary Collins (1965 and 1966) plus Paul Warfield, who had made it as a rookie in 1964. So, when Modell was offered a second-round draft pick in...
    In 1970, he was traded to the Miami Dolphins for a draft pick which the Browns used on Purdue University All-American quarterback Mike Phipps. The trade is considered one of the most lopsided...

    I totally agree. Trading away Chubb would be committing Browns suicide and the end of the franchise IMO.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    I totally agree. Trading away Chubb would be committing Browns suicide and the end of the franchise IMO.

    If we traded him away for the next Mike Phipps/equivalent that would be a disaster. Hard to believe the Browns drafted Austin Corbett (a tackle projected to play guard/center) about 4 draft slots ahead of where they selected Chubb in round 2.  Chubb is a quiet leader with an un-matched work ethic which shows up in his yards per carry and yards after 1st contact.  There's little draftniks on the OBR with the football backgrounds of playing the Madden video game that would roll their eyes at what Chubb means with a "get over it - he's a RB which = replaceable in today's NFL."  They'd be tripping over each other to remind me the Browns actually made Corbett a bigger priority to which I'd ask - is Austin on his 4th or 5th team today?

    Just out of curiosity, what did the Browns ever give to Joe Thomas? What REAL QB did they give him to protect in his 10 year career? Summary: they drafted a 1st ballot HOF Left Tackle to protect a franchise QB they were never capable of drafting.  THAT is the Cleveland Browns everybody in the AFC North laughs at. Love him or hate him, the Browns decided to trade a lot for a proven QB with elite skills.  That's fine; but is everybody comfortable with our Left Tackle in pass pro on the blind side of the 230 million $ QB?  If they leave the position as is, they'll probably have to use a TE to the Left of him staying in to pass protect in lieu of giving the QB another prong of attack downfield.  

    Competing with the last few sentences above - we have 4 LBers coming off IR because of the FO neglect to the DT position.  Having said that, they added Tomlinson to improve the DT position.  They also added 2 other guys with the equivalent NFL accomplishments to that of Elliott and Togiai.  IMO, Winfrey seems like a bigger candidate for the workload in the rotation than Hurst or Hill.  Badass needed here!!!!  We need a difference maker up-front.

    We DO have a Pro Bowl Guard (Wyatt Teller) that offers proven production for today over the crapshoot that often requires development/growing pains at the position. Then the Browns have to come up with another guy or maybe a future package of picks.  I say that knowing Michael Dunn was re-signed with quality experience as a fill-in starter for Bitonio and at other positions here.  I've always liked this guy.  Last year, he also gave us reps as a TE lining up to the right of Conklin's back-up at RT.  I don't think it would be the big drop-off many would probably think it is; but I'm not always right either.

    The Browns have to rob Peter to pay Paul.  The problem with that is if Paul doesn't get paid - someone's getting fired!!!  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I totally agree. Trading away Chubb would be committing Browns suicide and the end of the franchise IMO.

    If we traded him away for the next Mike Phipps/equivalent that would be a disaster. Hard to believe the Browns drafted Austin Corbett (a tackle projected to play guard/center) about 4 draft slots ahead of where they selected Chubb in round 2.  Chubb is a quiet leader with an un-matched work ethic which shows up in his yards per carry and yards after 1st contact.  There's little draftniks on the OBR with the football backgrounds of playing the Madden video game that would roll their eyes at what Chubb means with a "get over it - he's a RB which = replaceable in today's NFL."  They'd be tripping over each other to remind me the Browns actually made Corbett a bigger priority to which I'd ask - is Austin on his 4th or 5th team today?

    Just out of curiosity, what did the Browns ever give to Joe Thomas? What REAL QB did they give him to protect in his 10 year career? Summary: they drafted a 1st ballot HOF Left Tackle to protect a franchise QB they were never capable of drafting.  THAT is the Cleveland Browns everybody in the AFC North laughs at. Love him or hate him, the Browns decided to trade a lot for a proven QB with elite skills.  That's fine; but is everybody comfortable with our Left Tackle in pass pro on the blind side of the 230 million $ QB?  If they leave the position as is, they'll probably have to use a TE to the Left of him staying in to pass protect in lieu of giving the QB another prong of attack downfield.  

    Competing with the last few sentences above - we have 4 LBers coming off IR because of the FO neglect to the DT position.  Having said that, they added Tomlinson to improve the DT position.  They also added 2 other guys with the equivalent NFL accomplishments to that of Elliott and Togiai.  IMO, Winfrey seems like a bigger candidate for the workload in the rotation than Hurst or Hill.  Badass needed here!!!!  We need a difference maker up-front.

    We DO have a Pro Bowl Guard (Wyatt Teller) that offers proven production for today over the crapshoot that often requires development/growing pains at the position. Then the Browns have to come up with another guy or maybe a future package of picks.  I say that knowing Michael Dunn was re-signed with quality experience as a fill-in starter for Bitonio and at other positions here.  I've always liked this guy.  Last year, he also gave us reps as a TE lining up to the right of Conklin's back-up at RT.  I don't think it would be the big drop-off many would probably think it is; but I'm not always right either.

    The Browns have to rob Peter to pay Paul.  The problem with that is if Paul doesn't get paid - someone's getting fired!!!  

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @flugel said:

    ....... The Browns have to rob Peter to pay Paul.  The problem with that is if Paul doesn't get paid - someone's getting fired!!! 

    Yes .... this really seems like a new but getting more well entrenched with each passing decade since when our Cleveland BROWNS got taken from our great city / region / NE Ohio and from generations of true die-hard BROWNS Backer fans both here and abroad. 

    That now seems to be the ongoing Cleveland BROWNS story since the glory exciting Bernie Kosar years.   And going back through the Kardiac Kids era Brian Sipe, decades of good Cleveland running backs.   Going back to and earlier than the 1964 Championship BROWNS when the greatest  JIM BROWN came to Cleveland.  And back to the great Otto Graham and the beginnings of our NFL franchise.  

    Since the rather haphazard restart (in many opinions) of the 1999 BROWNS it seems like the club can't get the combination of franchise quarterback,  head coach, FO and even the club ownership itself   all   together on the same page.

    Why ?

    Somehow they have to find the right combination to get things going successfully in the right direction.  [ My opinion,  normally these things have to start at the top. ]  

    But right now there are a lot of key pieces in place great RBs, some good defensive pieces and  the big main piece a potential franchise quarterback ready to finally take over in Game 1.

    Hopefully the Peter / Paul situation is well taken care of and time ro just play some football.       ?

    GO BROWNS !