Skip to content

Special Teams Coach Mike Priefer Fired

The Browns Board
67 16 2.9k 1
  • @d-bone said:

    Now Kevin just needs to fire the offensive play caller. 

    Fisher just did that to himself at A&M and hired former Arky HC Bobby Petrino as his new OC/Playcaller. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @texasag1969 said:

    Fisher just did that to himself at A&M and hired former Arky HC Bobby Petrino as his new OC/Playcaller. 

    Petrino is a prick... Can't stand him...

  • @d-bone said:

    Now Kevin just needs to fire the offensive play caller. 

    Can he fire DePodesta?

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @orion said:

    Can he fire DePodesta?

    I say this...but actually, in principal, I agree with DePo in that I'd rather be a great passing team.  I mean, all ya gotta do is look at who's hovering around championship games every year.  (imagine if the 49'ers had a really good QB)  But I think they force-applied it this past year to a team that didn't have the QB to play the roll of Josh Allen, or Burrow, or, etc.  They should've been more conservative on the 4th down plays.  They should've taken points in either flavor, FG or TD.  And they should've leaned on the run as much as possible.  It's nice to aspire to be a certain type of offense.  But you've gotta live in the moment.  You've gotta do what your current cast of characters is capable of doing best.  - Now, it is possible, as the Ghoul suggests, that the Haslem/DePodesta team require Stef to coach and call plays the way they want (throw and be aggressive).  Or maybe it's all on Stef.   ??

  • @d-bone said:

    Now Kevin just needs to fire the offensive play caller. 

    Fisher just did that to himself at A&M and hired former Arky HC Bobby Petrino as his new OC/Playcaller. 

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @texasag1969 said:

    Fisher just did that to himself at A&M and hired former Arky HC Bobby Petrino as his new OC/Playcaller. 

    Great to see you brother! 

  • @bob806 said:

    I agree even if I don't agree with the philosophy. DePud is THE problem in my eyes, kind of a middle-man between Berry & Stefanski, or Berry & Haslam...probably the latter.

    I wish Stefanski well. Damnit we fans cannot continue to wait wait wait. 

    Turning to a new staff in 2024 virtually guarantees more waiting. 

    With no 1st rnd draft picks till 25.. Yeah... I want to coach a team with that set up.. LOL

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @nickers said:

    With no 1st rnd draft picks till 25.. Yeah... I want to coach a team with that set up.. LOL

    If Watson pans out as expected, we won't miss the next 2 first rounders.  That assumes we make the most of the picks we do have and find at least 2-3 starters over the next 2 drafts.

    I think a big part of Berrys job these next two drafts is to not think so much about a players ceiling but rather to think about the floor.  I don't like to say make safe picks, but that might be the only way to describe it.

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    So long? SB was just the other day. It is literally the beginning of the off-season. If you were hoping for a dismissal in the course of the season, it makes getting a good replacement that much harder.

    Joe Woods was fired January 9th. 

    Thus, I still wonder why it took the Browns until February 21st to finally pull the trigger on Priefer. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @dutch-oven said:

    Joe Woods was fired January 9th. 

    Thus, I still wonder why it took the Browns until February 21st to finally pull the trigger on Priefer. 

    You needed to wait to see who might be available.  Kind of like it not being smart to quit a job before you have a job.

  • @nickers said:

    With no 1st rnd draft picks till 25.. Yeah... I want to coach a team with that set up.. LOL

    If Watson pans out as expected, we won't miss the next 2 first rounders.  That assumes we make the most of the picks we do have and find at least 2-3 starters over the next 2 drafts.

    I think a big part of Berrys job these next two drafts is to not think so much about a players ceiling but rather to think about the floor.  I don't like to say make safe picks, but that might be the only way to describe it.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @ballpeen said:

    If Watson pans out as expected, we won't miss the next 2 first rounders.  That assumes we make the most of the picks we do have and find at least 2-3 starters over the next 2 drafts.

    I think a big part of Berrys job these next two drafts is to not think so much about a players ceiling but rather to think about the floor.  I don't like to say make safe picks, but that might be the only way to describe it.

    Watson is washed up LOL... Puhleeze.. He will N O T pan out

  • @canton-dawg said:

    It’s not a good look shaking up the coaching staff going into Kev’s 4th season.

    Its looking like Stefanski is getting a very short leash from Jimmah & DePud in 2023.

    Unless things get turned around this year, it’s more than likely Kevin’s last year as HC.

    I don’t see it that way.

    Keep in mind coming into last season we had the entire staff in back…I believe for three seasons. That kind of continuity is rare in the NFL.

    I was hoping…believing actually that the familiarity would be a huge bonus coming into last season.  
     

    Missing the playoffs while having Sluggish playcalling…in game collapses and namely the defense speaking out in season will be his undoing 

    We made necessary moves…kept our offensive line coach, got rid of the defensive coordinator and special teams coaches-sorry but  we could attribute loses to those two 

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I don’t see it that way.

    Keep in mind coming into last season we had the entire staff in back…I believe for three seasons. That kind of continuity is rare in the NFL.

    I was hoping…believing actually that the familiarity would be a huge bonus coming into last season.  
     

    Missing the playoffs while having Sluggish playcalling…in game collapses and namely the defense speaking out in season will be his undoing 

    We made necessary moves…kept our offensive line coach, got rid of the defensive coordinator and special teams coaches-sorry but  we could attribute loses to those two 

    The NFL is all about stats, the ultimate stat is wins & losses.

    The Browns high water mark was in 2020, and the losses are piling up.

    Since that time there’s been personnel changes at WR, QB, S, DC, and ST Coach.

    To quote my favorite Cleveland sports guy Ken Carman, “Stefanski is running out of scapegoats”.

    I think it’s common knowledge in NE Ohio that Kev is now on notice it’s time to shine.

    I still believe anything less than a deep playoff run, this will be his last year as HC.

  • @ballpeen said:

    If Watson pans out as expected, we won't miss the next 2 first rounders.  That assumes we make the most of the picks we do have and find at least 2-3 starters over the next 2 drafts.

    I think a big part of Berrys job these next two drafts is to not think so much about a players ceiling but rather to think about the floor.  I don't like to say make safe picks, but that might be the only way to describe it.

    Watson is washed up LOL... Puhleeze.. He will N O T pan out

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @nickers said:

    Watson is washed up LOL... Puhleeze.. He will N O T pan out

    At this point that remains to be seen. At this point I don't think we can talk in absolutes about Watson.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I don’t see it that way.

    Keep in mind coming into last season we had the entire staff in back…I believe for three seasons. That kind of continuity is rare in the NFL.

    I was hoping…believing actually that the familiarity would be a huge bonus coming into last season.  
     

    Missing the playoffs while having Sluggish playcalling…in game collapses and namely the defense speaking out in season will be his undoing 

    We made necessary moves…kept our offensive line coach, got rid of the defensive coordinator and special teams coaches-sorry but  we could attribute loses to those two 

    The NFL is all about stats, the ultimate stat is wins & losses.

    The Browns high water mark was in 2020, and the losses are piling up.

    Since that time there’s been personnel changes at WR, QB, S, DC, and ST Coach.

    To quote my favorite Cleveland sports guy Ken Carman, “Stefanski is running out of scapegoats”.

    I think it’s common knowledge in NE Ohio that Kev is now on notice it’s time to shine.

    I still believe anything less than a deep playoff run, this will be his last year as HC.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @canton-dawg said:

    The NFL is all about stats, the ultimate stat is wins & losses.

    The Browns high water mark was in 2020, and the losses are piling up.

    Since that time there’s been personnel changes at WR, QB, S, DC, and ST Coach.

    To quote my favorite Cleveland sports guy Ken Carman, “Stefanski is running out of scapegoats”.

    I think it’s common knowledge in NE Ohio that Kev is now on notice it’s time to shine.

    I still believe anything less than a deep playoff run, this will be his last year as HC.

    I don't agree that it has to be a deep playoff run.  I do agree we probably need to win 10-11 games.  I don't know at what point Stefanski might get the axe, but it could be as early as week 3 if we start 0-3.  By the time week 7 is finished, 4-3 is probably where i would want to be at minimum if I was him.  It might have to be better depending on who we play and if there are any screwed up losses.

    I think we all know the difference between a loss and a screwed up loss.  At least we should.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    The NFL is all about stats, the ultimate stat is wins & losses.

    The Browns high water mark was in 2020, and the losses are piling up.

    Since that time there’s been personnel changes at WR, QB, S, DC, and ST Coach.

    To quote my favorite Cleveland sports guy Ken Carman, “Stefanski is running out of scapegoats”.

    I think it’s common knowledge in NE Ohio that Kev is now on notice it’s time to shine.

    I still believe anything less than a deep playoff run, this will be his last year as HC.

    I don't agree that it has to be a deep playoff run.  I do agree we probably need to win 10-11 games.  I don't know at what point Stefanski might get the axe, but it could be as early as week 3 if we start 0-3.  By the time week 7 is finished, 4-3 is probably where i would want to be at minimum if I was him.  It might have to be better depending on who we play and if there are any screwed up losses.

    I think we all know the difference between a loss and a screwed up loss.  At least we should.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @ballpeen said:

    I think we all know the difference between a loss and a screwed up loss.  At least we should.

    We have been the masters of both.  Need I point to 1st and goal on the Steeler 1 yard line in OT?  And we lost....

  • sydS syd

    @nickers said:

    I don't know that Bubba Ventrone is an "UPGRADE" But he's an interesting Candidate..

    Ventrone, 40, has established himself as one of the best special teams coordinators in the NFL over the past five seasons in Indianapolis, annually presiding over excellent coverage and return units while simultaneously helping players like Zach Pascal, Zaire Franklin and Isaiah Rodgers develop from special teamers into valuable contributors on offense or defense

    yes  i would say he is a upgrade

    Korsou DawgK Korsou Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @syd said:

    Ventrone, 40, has established himself as one of the best special teams coordinators in the NFL over the past five seasons in Indianapolis, annually presiding over excellent coverage and return units while simultaneously helping players like Zach Pascal, Zaire Franklin and Isaiah Rodgers develop from special teamers into valuable contributors on offense or defense

    yes  i would say he is a upgrade

    It comes as no surprise that other teams are interested in Ventrone, who has helped the Colts' special teams unit improve every season since arriving on the scene in 2018. 

    God forbid our special teams improve every year. Old @nickerswould have less to nag and bitch about. Taking away a man's reasons to live is just cruel. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I don’t see it that way.

    Keep in mind coming into last season we had the entire staff in back…I believe for three seasons. That kind of continuity is rare in the NFL.

    I was hoping…believing actually that the familiarity would be a huge bonus coming into last season.  
     

    Missing the playoffs while having Sluggish playcalling…in game collapses and namely the defense speaking out in season will be his undoing 

    We made necessary moves…kept our offensive line coach, got rid of the defensive coordinator and special teams coaches-sorry but  we could attribute loses to those two 

    The NFL is all about stats, the ultimate stat is wins & losses.

    The Browns high water mark was in 2020, and the losses are piling up.

    Since that time there’s been personnel changes at WR, QB, S, DC, and ST Coach.

    To quote my favorite Cleveland sports guy Ken Carman, “Stefanski is running out of scapegoats”.

    I think it’s common knowledge in NE Ohio that Kev is now on notice it’s time to shine.

    I still believe anything less than a deep playoff run, this will be his last year as HC.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @canton-dawg said:

    Since that time there’s been personnel changes at WR, QB, S, DC, and ST Coach.

    To quote my favorite Cleveland sports guy Ken Carman, “Stefanski is running out of scapegoats”.

     The WR changes have been the departures of Odell and Juice along with the addition of Cooper this year.   That really isn't a point with any finality. 

     QB changes from 2020 went from Baker to Brissett. So that's about a wash.  Actually Jacoby enjoyed one of his more statistically efficient seasons in CLE. 

    The Safety changes have been upgrading from, quite literally, the worst safety duo in the NFL during that 2020 season, so at least one that is about league average.  Impressive. 

    DC has been Woods from 2020 to 2022.  So there has been no change from the "high water mark", and I have zero idea where you were going with this. 

    Also, Ken Carmen, like most local sports talk show hosts, are hacks.  Mary Kay with her columns, Ken, Grossi... Etc etc.  If Carmen is your favorite, then I'd suggest looking for football talk with less sensationalism and more substance.  

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Since that time there’s been personnel changes at WR, QB, S, DC, and ST Coach.

    To quote my favorite Cleveland sports guy Ken Carman, “Stefanski is running out of scapegoats”.

     The WR changes have been the departures of Odell and Juice along with the addition of Cooper this year.   That really isn't a point with any finality. 

     QB changes from 2020 went from Baker to Brissett. So that's about a wash.  Actually Jacoby enjoyed one of his more statistically efficient seasons in CLE. 

    The Safety changes have been upgrading from, quite literally, the worst safety duo in the NFL during that 2020 season, so at least one that is about league average.  Impressive. 

    DC has been Woods from 2020 to 2022.  So there has been no change from the "high water mark", and I have zero idea where you were going with this. 

    Also, Ken Carmen, like most local sports talk show hosts, are hacks.  Mary Kay with her columns, Ken, Grossi... Etc etc.  If Carmen is your favorite, then I'd suggest looking for football talk with less sensationalism and more substance.  

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @tiamat63 said:

     The WR changes have been the departures of Odell and Juice along with the addition of Cooper this year.   That really isn't a point with any finality. 

     QB changes from 2020 went from Baker to Brissett. So that's about a wash.  Actually Jacoby enjoyed one of his more statistically efficient seasons in CLE. 

    The Safety changes have been upgrading from, quite literally, the worst safety duo in the NFL during that 2020 season, so at least one that is about league average.  Impressive. 

    DC has been Woods from 2020 to 2022.  So there has been no change from the "high water mark", and I have zero idea where you were going with this. 

    Also, Ken Carmen, like most local sports talk show hosts, are hacks.  Mary Kay with her columns, Ken, Grossi... Etc etc.  If Carmen is your favorite, then I'd suggest looking for football talk with less sensationalism and more substance.  

    I’ll simplify this for you….Kev needs to win or he’s gone.

  • @tiamat63 said:

     The WR changes have been the departures of Odell and Juice along with the addition of Cooper this year.   That really isn't a point with any finality. 

     QB changes from 2020 went from Baker to Brissett. So that's about a wash.  Actually Jacoby enjoyed one of his more statistically efficient seasons in CLE. 

    The Safety changes have been upgrading from, quite literally, the worst safety duo in the NFL during that 2020 season, so at least one that is about league average.  Impressive. 

    DC has been Woods from 2020 to 2022.  So there has been no change from the "high water mark", and I have zero idea where you were going with this. 

    Also, Ken Carmen, like most local sports talk show hosts, are hacks.  Mary Kay with her columns, Ken, Grossi... Etc etc.  If Carmen is your favorite, then I'd suggest looking for football talk with less sensationalism and more substance.  

    I’ll simplify this for you….Kev needs to win or he’s gone.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @canton-dawg said:

    I’ll simplify this for you….Kev needs to win or he’s gone.

    That's every coach.  But if your expectation is Superbowl or fired, then we need to be a bit more realistic about said expectations.  

    The AFC is as strong as I've seen it since Manning, Brady and Ben were in their prime. 

  • Korsou DawgK Korsou Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

  • Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Korsou DawgK Korsou Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Something to that extent must have been dangled in front of him. As much as I love my Browns, I do not see how a successful and highly sought after ST Coordinator just makes a sideways move to us, without being 'incentivized.' 

    Regardless, count your blessings. Similarly to Schwartz, we got the best candidate available. How often do we get to say that? Let alone twice in the same off-season. 

  • Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    I though Callie Brownson held that title.. But then I thought I heard the other day shes coaching Receivers?...  I haven't seen anything yet that says the Bubba deal is done beside a lot of interweb chatter......

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #46

    @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.  Of course    See me again October 

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.  Of course    See me again October 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.    
     

    Won't say I'm happy but ever so "slightly' encouraged.. But... It's about Dubya's man..