Skip to content

Special Teams Coach Mike Priefer Fired

The Browns Board
67 16 2.9k 1
  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I don’t see it that way.

    Keep in mind coming into last season we had the entire staff in back…I believe for three seasons. That kind of continuity is rare in the NFL.

    I was hoping…believing actually that the familiarity would be a huge bonus coming into last season.  
     

    Missing the playoffs while having Sluggish playcalling…in game collapses and namely the defense speaking out in season will be his undoing 

    We made necessary moves…kept our offensive line coach, got rid of the defensive coordinator and special teams coaches-sorry but  we could attribute loses to those two 

    The NFL is all about stats, the ultimate stat is wins & losses.

    The Browns high water mark was in 2020, and the losses are piling up.

    Since that time there’s been personnel changes at WR, QB, S, DC, and ST Coach.

    To quote my favorite Cleveland sports guy Ken Carman, “Stefanski is running out of scapegoats”.

    I think it’s common knowledge in NE Ohio that Kev is now on notice it’s time to shine.

    I still believe anything less than a deep playoff run, this will be his last year as HC.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @canton-dawg said:

    Since that time there’s been personnel changes at WR, QB, S, DC, and ST Coach.

    To quote my favorite Cleveland sports guy Ken Carman, “Stefanski is running out of scapegoats”.

     The WR changes have been the departures of Odell and Juice along with the addition of Cooper this year.   That really isn't a point with any finality. 

     QB changes from 2020 went from Baker to Brissett. So that's about a wash.  Actually Jacoby enjoyed one of his more statistically efficient seasons in CLE. 

    The Safety changes have been upgrading from, quite literally, the worst safety duo in the NFL during that 2020 season, so at least one that is about league average.  Impressive. 

    DC has been Woods from 2020 to 2022.  So there has been no change from the "high water mark", and I have zero idea where you were going with this. 

    Also, Ken Carmen, like most local sports talk show hosts, are hacks.  Mary Kay with her columns, Ken, Grossi... Etc etc.  If Carmen is your favorite, then I'd suggest looking for football talk with less sensationalism and more substance.  

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Since that time there’s been personnel changes at WR, QB, S, DC, and ST Coach.

    To quote my favorite Cleveland sports guy Ken Carman, “Stefanski is running out of scapegoats”.

     The WR changes have been the departures of Odell and Juice along with the addition of Cooper this year.   That really isn't a point with any finality. 

     QB changes from 2020 went from Baker to Brissett. So that's about a wash.  Actually Jacoby enjoyed one of his more statistically efficient seasons in CLE. 

    The Safety changes have been upgrading from, quite literally, the worst safety duo in the NFL during that 2020 season, so at least one that is about league average.  Impressive. 

    DC has been Woods from 2020 to 2022.  So there has been no change from the "high water mark", and I have zero idea where you were going with this. 

    Also, Ken Carmen, like most local sports talk show hosts, are hacks.  Mary Kay with her columns, Ken, Grossi... Etc etc.  If Carmen is your favorite, then I'd suggest looking for football talk with less sensationalism and more substance.  

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @tiamat63 said:

     The WR changes have been the departures of Odell and Juice along with the addition of Cooper this year.   That really isn't a point with any finality. 

     QB changes from 2020 went from Baker to Brissett. So that's about a wash.  Actually Jacoby enjoyed one of his more statistically efficient seasons in CLE. 

    The Safety changes have been upgrading from, quite literally, the worst safety duo in the NFL during that 2020 season, so at least one that is about league average.  Impressive. 

    DC has been Woods from 2020 to 2022.  So there has been no change from the "high water mark", and I have zero idea where you were going with this. 

    Also, Ken Carmen, like most local sports talk show hosts, are hacks.  Mary Kay with her columns, Ken, Grossi... Etc etc.  If Carmen is your favorite, then I'd suggest looking for football talk with less sensationalism and more substance.  

    I’ll simplify this for you….Kev needs to win or he’s gone.

  • @tiamat63 said:

     The WR changes have been the departures of Odell and Juice along with the addition of Cooper this year.   That really isn't a point with any finality. 

     QB changes from 2020 went from Baker to Brissett. So that's about a wash.  Actually Jacoby enjoyed one of his more statistically efficient seasons in CLE. 

    The Safety changes have been upgrading from, quite literally, the worst safety duo in the NFL during that 2020 season, so at least one that is about league average.  Impressive. 

    DC has been Woods from 2020 to 2022.  So there has been no change from the "high water mark", and I have zero idea where you were going with this. 

    Also, Ken Carmen, like most local sports talk show hosts, are hacks.  Mary Kay with her columns, Ken, Grossi... Etc etc.  If Carmen is your favorite, then I'd suggest looking for football talk with less sensationalism and more substance.  

    I’ll simplify this for you….Kev needs to win or he’s gone.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @canton-dawg said:

    I’ll simplify this for you….Kev needs to win or he’s gone.

    That's every coach.  But if your expectation is Superbowl or fired, then we need to be a bit more realistic about said expectations.  

    The AFC is as strong as I've seen it since Manning, Brady and Ben were in their prime. 

  • Korsou DawgK Korsou Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

  • Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Korsou DawgK Korsou Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Something to that extent must have been dangled in front of him. As much as I love my Browns, I do not see how a successful and highly sought after ST Coordinator just makes a sideways move to us, without being 'incentivized.' 

    Regardless, count your blessings. Similarly to Schwartz, we got the best candidate available. How often do we get to say that? Let alone twice in the same off-season. 

  • Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    I though Callie Brownson held that title.. But then I thought I heard the other day shes coaching Receivers?...  I haven't seen anything yet that says the Bubba deal is done beside a lot of interweb chatter......

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #46

    @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.  Of course    See me again October 

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.  Of course    See me again October 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.    
     

    Won't say I'm happy but ever so "slightly' encouraged.. But... It's about Dubya's man..

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.  Of course    See me again October 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz is probably that guy.

    Or Van Pelt.  Certainly not the new ST guy I should think.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Something to that extent must have been dangled in front of him. As much as I love my Browns, I do not see how a successful and highly sought after ST Coordinator just makes a sideways move to us, without being 'incentivized.' 

    Regardless, count your blessings. Similarly to Schwartz, we got the best candidate available. How often do we get to say that? Let alone twice in the same off-season. 

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Regardless, count your blessings. Similarly to Schwartz, we got the best candidate available. How often do we get to say that? Let alone twice in the same off-season. 

    So your telling me ? Our beloved Browns..

    Didn't wait until the last minute to take who's ever leftover.. While interviewing 3 each, early in a coaching process

    Didn't have to piss off the world paying guaranteed money up front to a somewhat pervert..and

    Didn't have to use words of.. "We need a Adult in the room" 

    Excuse me... while I go run naked thru some Florida bushes  ?  I'll log back in Friday to see if any of this is still real

    WELCOME BACK BUBBA ! ?   LFG !

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.    
     

    Won't say I'm happy but ever so "slightly' encouraged.. But... It's about Dubya's man..

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @nickers said:

    Won't say I'm happy but ever so "slightly' encouraged.. But... It's about Dubya's man..

    Yeah I should have said in corporate speak “guarded optimism”

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    I though Callie Brownson held that title.. But then I thought I heard the other day shes coaching Receivers?...  I haven't seen anything yet that says the Bubba deal is done beside a lot of interweb chatter......

    VamboV Vambo wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @nickers said:

    I though Callie Brownson held that title.. But then I thought I heard the other day shes coaching Receivers?...  I haven't seen anything yet that says the Bubba deal is done beside a lot of interweb chatter......

    Official: Browns name Bubba Ventrone special teams coordinator and assistant head coach

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/23/browns-bubba-ventrone-official/

  • @nickers said:

    I though Callie Brownson held that title.. But then I thought I heard the other day shes coaching Receivers?...  I haven't seen anything yet that says the Bubba deal is done beside a lot of interweb chatter......

    Official: Browns name Bubba Ventrone special teams coordinator and assistant head coach

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/23/browns-bubba-ventrone-official/

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @vambo said:

    Official: Browns name Bubba Ventrone special teams coordinator and assistant head coach

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/23/browns-bubba-ventrone-official/

    It also say the browns are looking at James Urban as OC coach... Interesting.. I thought that was AVP's responsibility.. Kevvy better give up play calling duties as well.. He sucks...

  • VamboV Vambo wrote on last edited by
    #53
    Albert Breer@AlbertBreer
    The Browns are making run-game coordinator Ben Bloom their defensive line coach, per sources. Important role in coaching Jim Schwartz’s defense for Bloom, who was linebackers coach in Dallas in ’18 and ’19, and is a rising name in the profession.
  • Albert Breer@AlbertBreer
    The Browns are making run-game coordinator Ben Bloom their defensive line coach, per sources. Important role in coaching Jim Schwartz’s defense for Bloom, who was linebackers coach in Dallas in ’18 and ’19, and is a rising name in the profession.
    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @vambo said:

    Run-game coordinator to DL coach.  That was Schwartz's idea we assume?

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    ...and here we 'asume' again that the title assistant HC is because without it, it would've been a lateral move?

    I remember when he played for us.  And I remember that because of injuries, he had to play a couple/few times on the regular defense.  And I think I recall thinking that he was slow.  He recognized what was happening ok, but couldn't get there in time.  -  Villanova was his school.......I was skeptical about this at first......but he was a pretty good ST player......and he's been a ST coordinator for a handful of years now.   Perhaps he knows a thing or two and can get us on track.   I'm pullin' for him.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #55

    Just a word on lateral moves:  I think all moves are considered lateral unless it is a move to head coach.

    I also don't think the title asst head coach would be a indicator that Ray would take the head coach job if Stefanski is removed during the season.  It might, but I don't think it is automatic.

  • @vambo said:

    Run-game coordinator to DL coach.  That was Schwartz's idea we assume?

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    ...and here we 'asume' again that the title assistant HC is because without it, it would've been a lateral move?

    I remember when he played for us.  And I remember that because of injuries, he had to play a couple/few times on the regular defense.  And I think I recall thinking that he was slow.  He recognized what was happening ok, but couldn't get there in time.  -  Villanova was his school.......I was skeptical about this at first......but he was a pretty good ST player......and he's been a ST coordinator for a handful of years now.   Perhaps he knows a thing or two and can get us on track.   I'm pullin' for him.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @orion said:

    Run-game coordinator to DL coach.  That was Schwartz's idea we assume?

    .

    Well that kind of makes sense no?... I guy who has exp preparing runners and the running game should at least have some idea how to attack it... Just surmizing...

  • @orion said:

    Run-game coordinator to DL coach.  That was Schwartz's idea we assume?

    .

    Well that kind of makes sense no?... I guy who has exp preparing runners and the running game should at least have some idea how to attack it... Just surmizing...

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #57

    @nickers said:

    Well that kind of makes sense no?... I guy who has exp preparing runners and the running game should at least have some idea how to attack it... Just surmizing...

    He is the defensive run game coordinator.  DL coach has been added to his duties.

  • @nickers said:

    Well that kind of makes sense no?... I guy who has exp preparing runners and the running game should at least have some idea how to attack it... Just surmizing...

    He is the defensive run game coordinator.  DL coach has been added to his duties.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @ballpeen said:

    He is the defensive run game coordinator.  DL coach has been added to his duties.

    Right because Stump Mitchel is the RB coach..