Skip to content

Special Teams Coach Mike Priefer Fired

The Browns Board
67 16 2.9k 1
  • Korsou DawgK Korsou Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

  • Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Korsou DawgK Korsou Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Something to that extent must have been dangled in front of him. As much as I love my Browns, I do not see how a successful and highly sought after ST Coordinator just makes a sideways move to us, without being 'incentivized.' 

    Regardless, count your blessings. Similarly to Schwartz, we got the best candidate available. How often do we get to say that? Let alone twice in the same off-season. 

  • Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    I though Callie Brownson held that title.. But then I thought I heard the other day shes coaching Receivers?...  I haven't seen anything yet that says the Bubba deal is done beside a lot of interweb chatter......

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #46

    @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.  Of course    See me again October 

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.  Of course    See me again October 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.    
     

    Won't say I'm happy but ever so "slightly' encouraged.. But... It's about Dubya's man..

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.  Of course    See me again October 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz is probably that guy.

    Or Van Pelt.  Certainly not the new ST guy I should think.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Kev’s mid season replacement? ?

    Something to that extent must have been dangled in front of him. As much as I love my Browns, I do not see how a successful and highly sought after ST Coordinator just makes a sideways move to us, without being 'incentivized.' 

    Regardless, count your blessings. Similarly to Schwartz, we got the best candidate available. How often do we get to say that? Let alone twice in the same off-season. 

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Regardless, count your blessings. Similarly to Schwartz, we got the best candidate available. How often do we get to say that? Let alone twice in the same off-season. 

    So your telling me ? Our beloved Browns..

    Didn't wait until the last minute to take who's ever leftover.. While interviewing 3 each, early in a coaching process

    Didn't have to piss off the world paying guaranteed money up front to a somewhat pervert..and

    Didn't have to use words of.. "We need a Adult in the room" 

    Excuse me... while I go run naked thru some Florida bushes  ?  I'll log back in Friday to see if any of this is still real

    WELCOME BACK BUBBA ! ?   LFG !

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

    8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  
     

    It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  
     

    I have to say I’m happy.    
     

    Won't say I'm happy but ever so "slightly' encouraged.. But... It's about Dubya's man..

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @nickers said:

    Won't say I'm happy but ever so "slightly' encouraged.. But... It's about Dubya's man..

    Yeah I should have said in corporate speak “guarded optimism”

  • @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    I though Callie Brownson held that title.. But then I thought I heard the other day shes coaching Receivers?...  I haven't seen anything yet that says the Bubba deal is done beside a lot of interweb chatter......

    VamboV Vambo wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @nickers said:

    I though Callie Brownson held that title.. But then I thought I heard the other day shes coaching Receivers?...  I haven't seen anything yet that says the Bubba deal is done beside a lot of interweb chatter......

    Official: Browns name Bubba Ventrone special teams coordinator and assistant head coach

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/23/browns-bubba-ventrone-official/

  • @nickers said:

    I though Callie Brownson held that title.. But then I thought I heard the other day shes coaching Receivers?...  I haven't seen anything yet that says the Bubba deal is done beside a lot of interweb chatter......

    Official: Browns name Bubba Ventrone special teams coordinator and assistant head coach

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/23/browns-bubba-ventrone-official/

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @vambo said:

    Official: Browns name Bubba Ventrone special teams coordinator and assistant head coach

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/23/browns-bubba-ventrone-official/

    It also say the browns are looking at James Urban as OC coach... Interesting.. I thought that was AVP's responsibility.. Kevvy better give up play calling duties as well.. He sucks...

  • VamboV Vambo wrote on last edited by
    #53
    Albert Breer@AlbertBreer
    The Browns are making run-game coordinator Ben Bloom their defensive line coach, per sources. Important role in coaching Jim Schwartz’s defense for Bloom, who was linebackers coach in Dallas in ’18 and ’19, and is a rising name in the profession.
  • Albert Breer@AlbertBreer
    The Browns are making run-game coordinator Ben Bloom their defensive line coach, per sources. Important role in coaching Jim Schwartz’s defense for Bloom, who was linebackers coach in Dallas in ’18 and ’19, and is a rising name in the profession.
    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @vambo said:

    Run-game coordinator to DL coach.  That was Schwartz's idea we assume?

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    ...and here we 'asume' again that the title assistant HC is because without it, it would've been a lateral move?

    I remember when he played for us.  And I remember that because of injuries, he had to play a couple/few times on the regular defense.  And I think I recall thinking that he was slow.  He recognized what was happening ok, but couldn't get there in time.  -  Villanova was his school.......I was skeptical about this at first......but he was a pretty good ST player......and he's been a ST coordinator for a handful of years now.   Perhaps he knows a thing or two and can get us on track.   I'm pullin' for him.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #55

    Just a word on lateral moves:  I think all moves are considered lateral unless it is a move to head coach.

    I also don't think the title asst head coach would be a indicator that Ray would take the head coach job if Stefanski is removed during the season.  It might, but I don't think it is automatic.

  • @vambo said:

    Run-game coordinator to DL coach.  That was Schwartz's idea we assume?

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    ...and here we 'asume' again that the title assistant HC is because without it, it would've been a lateral move?

    I remember when he played for us.  And I remember that because of injuries, he had to play a couple/few times on the regular defense.  And I think I recall thinking that he was slow.  He recognized what was happening ok, but couldn't get there in time.  -  Villanova was his school.......I was skeptical about this at first......but he was a pretty good ST player......and he's been a ST coordinator for a handful of years now.   Perhaps he knows a thing or two and can get us on track.   I'm pullin' for him.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @orion said:

    Run-game coordinator to DL coach.  That was Schwartz's idea we assume?

    .

    Well that kind of makes sense no?... I guy who has exp preparing runners and the running game should at least have some idea how to attack it... Just surmizing...

  • @orion said:

    Run-game coordinator to DL coach.  That was Schwartz's idea we assume?

    .

    Well that kind of makes sense no?... I guy who has exp preparing runners and the running game should at least have some idea how to attack it... Just surmizing...

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #57

    @nickers said:

    Well that kind of makes sense no?... I guy who has exp preparing runners and the running game should at least have some idea how to attack it... Just surmizing...

    He is the defensive run game coordinator.  DL coach has been added to his duties.

  • @nickers said:

    Well that kind of makes sense no?... I guy who has exp preparing runners and the running game should at least have some idea how to attack it... Just surmizing...

    He is the defensive run game coordinator.  DL coach has been added to his duties.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @ballpeen said:

    He is the defensive run game coordinator.  DL coach has been added to his duties.

    Right because Stump Mitchel is the RB coach..

  • @vambo said:

    Run-game coordinator to DL coach.  That was Schwartz's idea we assume?

    @korsou-dawg said:

    Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

    ...and here we 'asume' again that the title assistant HC is because without it, it would've been a lateral move?

    I remember when he played for us.  And I remember that because of injuries, he had to play a couple/few times on the regular defense.  And I think I recall thinking that he was slow.  He recognized what was happening ok, but couldn't get there in time.  -  Villanova was his school.......I was skeptical about this at first......but he was a pretty good ST player......and he's been a ST coordinator for a handful of years now.   Perhaps he knows a thing or two and can get us on track.   I'm pullin' for him.

    Korsou DawgK Korsou Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @orion said:

    Run-game coordinator to DL coach.  That was Schwartz's idea we assume?

    ...and here we 'asume' again that the title assistant HC is because without it, it would've been a lateral move?

    I remember when he played for us.  And I remember that because of injuries, he had to play a couple/few times on the regular defense.  And I think I recall thinking that he was slow.  He recognized what was happening ok, but couldn't get there in time.  -  Villanova was his school.......I was skeptical about this at first......but he was a pretty good ST player......and he's been a ST coordinator for a handful of years now.   Perhaps he knows a thing or two and can get us on track.   I'm pullin' for him.

    Calling it a lateral move is being kind. He had a great run with the Colts, which was noticed around the league, and even interviewed for their HC position a month ago. He is clearly on an upward trajectory. Without the Assistant HC label, the rest of the league would have probably seen more as a demotion. 

    We are both rooting for him. With The Browns seemingly making all the right moves so far, part of me is getting very excited for next season. With my years supporting the Browns increasing, and the seemingly inevitable heartbreak that comes along with that, that part of me is going: "Danger, Will Robinson!"

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #60

    A talented young kicker and punter and potentially a lame duck HC where he could be next in line.  Let’s discuss lateral move. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

     The WR changes have been the departures of Odell and Juice along with the addition of Cooper this year.   That really isn't a point with any finality. 

     QB changes from 2020 went from Baker to Brissett. So that's about a wash.  Actually Jacoby enjoyed one of his more statistically efficient seasons in CLE. 

    The Safety changes have been upgrading from, quite literally, the worst safety duo in the NFL during that 2020 season, so at least one that is about league average.  Impressive. 

    DC has been Woods from 2020 to 2022.  So there has been no change from the "high water mark", and I have zero idea where you were going with this. 

    Also, Ken Carmen, like most local sports talk show hosts, are hacks.  Mary Kay with her columns, Ken, Grossi... Etc etc.  If Carmen is your favorite, then I'd suggest looking for football talk with less sensationalism and more substance.  

    I’ll simplify this for you….Kev needs to win or he’s gone.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @canton-dawg said:

    I’ll simplify this for you….Kev needs to win or he’s gone.

    Probably true CD.  When Kev arrived, a lot of the roster was from Dorsey's regime and he went 11-5 right?  Coach of the Year material.   He was put into a very crappy situation last year.  The 1 thing the Browns SHOULD look at is did they hire him to be more of an OC than he is a HC?  We don't know what they want from him; but his entire NFL background being only with 1 team assures us he's not exactly Andy Reid.  In 1 respect, Stef coached up the most efficient season Jacoby Brissett had as an NFL fill-in starter.  In other respects, Stefanski had zero clue that wind chills piercing 15 degrees below zero off the Lake was a bad enough day to throw that 3 passes were dropped in the end zone. 

    As this roster became more and more Andrew Berry's team - the record decreased to 9-8 and then 7-10.  Now it's time to do what the Browns do every 2-3 years of bad personnel management - fire the coaches and 66% of the Coordinators with more of the fanbase wanting Stefanski gone too.  As much as Schwartz excites me - he's gonna need better gridiron chess pieces at DT or he's gonna have losing teams like Atlanta running the ball down the Browns' esophagus while the top 4 LBers on our depth chart are on IR because of the bad personnel choices starting on the IDL. 

    Why is everyone giving Andrew Berry a free pass?  He's drafted 2 offensive starters (Wills & DPJ) and only 1 of them plays like a keeper (and it's not the 10th overall pick). I think we're focusing more on the symptoms than the disease.  We're not setting a gridiron chess table that allows us to be better than 7-10.  This is a very big draft.  A team like Seattle nailed the draft last year.  They made the playoffs because of how much the drafted helped their running game; which made life a lot easier for Geno Smith and the passing game.  Keep in mind, that was a team many (including me) thought would be playing the 2022 season for a shot at the 1st overall draft pick in 2023. That's how powerful the draft can be for teams that know what they're doing.  Some of their previous post season/Super Bowl teams had a lot of mid-late round picks become very productive starters/Pro Bowl players.  Because of that, they had a very healthy cap that enabled them to make the playoffs for more than just a season or 2.

    If they screw up this draft, I don't think Stefanski should be the next guy fired regardless of how unpopular that statement is.