Skip to content

Terry Pluto on Browns OTAs

The Browns Board
64 13 2.9k
  • 1.  At the end of the day just give me a dependable number 2 behind Cooper.  I don't care about rookie contracts or how many spaces we moved back. 

    2. Jim Schwartz gets a passing grade if he can simply improve the run D and provide a scheme that provides pressure outside of Myles Garrett. 

    3.  Does our press always need to obsess about our second string QB?  They are always looking for the next thing, its annoying.

    @brownsfan92 said:

    3.  Does our press always need to obsess about our second string QB?  

    Welcome.

    ...and yes.  Especially this time of year.

    I was glad to read about our draft pick QB looking good during the OTA.  

  • @brownsfan92 said:

    3.  Does our press always need to obsess about our second string QB?  

    Welcome.

    ...and yes.  Especially this time of year.

    I was glad to read about our draft pick QB looking good during the OTA.  

    @orion said:

    Welcome.

    ...and yes.  Especially this time of year.

    I was glad to read about our draft pick QB looking good during the OTA.  

    No doubt.  When in shorts, you sure don't want to read about him missing all sorts of throws.

  • 1.  At the end of the day just give me a dependable number 2 behind Cooper.  I don't care about rookie contracts or how many spaces we moved back. 

    2. Jim Schwartz gets a passing grade if he can simply improve the run D and provide a scheme that provides pressure outside of Myles Garrett. 

    3.  Does our press always need to obsess about our second string QB?  They are always looking for the next thing, its annoying.

    @brownsfan92 said:

    2. Jim Schwartz gets a passing grade if he can simply improve the run D and provide a scheme that provides pressure outside of Myles Garrett. 

    Welcome on board !

    One day left of OTA's

    I've never known Jim Schwartz to shy away from his plans..

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/longformarticle/cleveland-browns-defense-2023-210965979/#2175375  

    Browns mandatory minicamp: June 6-8 heading to the Greenbrier in West Virginia from July 22-30.

  • @brownsfan92 said:

    2. Jim Schwartz gets a passing grade if he can simply improve the run D and provide a scheme that provides pressure outside of Myles Garrett. 

    Welcome on board !

    One day left of OTA's

    I've never known Jim Schwartz to shy away from his plans..

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/longformarticle/cleveland-browns-defense-2023-210965979/#2175375  

    Browns mandatory minicamp: June 6-8 heading to the Greenbrier in West Virginia from July 22-30.

    @gumby73 said:

    Welcome on board !

    One day left of OTA's

    I've never known Jim Schwartz to shy away from his plans..

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/longformarticle/cleveland-browns-defense-2023-210965979/#2175375  

    Browns mandatory minicamp: June 6-8 heading to the Greenbrier in West Virginia from July 22-30.

    From the article.

    ROTATING NICKEL COVERAGE ROLE

    Denzel Ward spoke today about the slot corner role being a moving target for the defense. He noted he will be aligning in there more often and Schwartz also touched on the topic.

    From a couple months ago....

    /topic/66245

     Like I've said before, Woods wasn't the 1st, 2nd or 3rd thing wrong with this defense.  But he did (didn't do) some things I would have liked to see.  Having Ward play more snaps in the slot is probably the biggest one of those.  

  • Possibly OT, but fun

    If you're not aware how a "modern" NFL defense plays man on one side of the field and zone on the other.. you might learn something by watching.

  • @orion said:

    Welcome.

    ...and yes.  Especially this time of year.

    I was glad to read about our draft pick QB looking good during the OTA.  

    No doubt.  When in shorts, you sure don't want to read about him missing all sorts of throws.

    @ballpeen said:

    No doubt.  When in shorts, you sure don't want to read about him missing all sorts of throws.

    here is baker in ota's

  • @ballpeen said:

    I suppose you mean Myles.

    Linemen don't matter.  It might matter for new players so they can get to know some of their teammates, but linemen and backs don't have anything to do during these sessions.  As was stated in the article, it is a passing camp, so unless I was a rookie or new to the team, why bother?

    He's not going to bother to respond back to you.

    The only thing he's here to do is to troll.

    You'd think the moderators would catch on to this...

    @dutch-oven said:

    He's not going to bother to respond back to you.

    The only thing he's here to do is to troll.

    You'd think the moderators would catch on to this...

    Ooooh, my stalker is back.

  • @kvoethe said:

    Saw an article saying out defensive leader didnt show up for OTA

    I suppose you mean Myles.

    Linemen don't matter.  It might matter for new players so they can get to know some of their teammates, but linemen and backs don't have anything to do during these sessions.  As was stated in the article, it is a passing camp, so unless I was a rookie or new to the team, why bother?

    @ballpeen said:

    I suppose you mean Myles.

    Linemen don't matter.  It might matter for new players so they can get to know some of their teammates, but linemen and backs don't have anything to do during these sessions.  As was stated in the article, it is a passing camp, so unless I was a rookie or new to the team, why bother?

    Be a leader?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    He's not going to bother to respond back to you.

    The only thing he's here to do is to troll.

    You'd think the moderators would catch on to this...

    Ooooh, my stalker is back.

    @kvoethe said:

    Ooooh, my stalker is back.

    Oooh, the troll is back. 

  • @gumby73 said:

    Welcome on board !

    One day left of OTA's

    I've never known Jim Schwartz to shy away from his plans..

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/longformarticle/cleveland-browns-defense-2023-210965979/#2175375  

    Browns mandatory minicamp: June 6-8 heading to the Greenbrier in West Virginia from July 22-30.

    From the article.

    ROTATING NICKEL COVERAGE ROLE

    Denzel Ward spoke today about the slot corner role being a moving target for the defense. He noted he will be aligning in there more often and Schwartz also touched on the topic.

    From a couple months ago....

    /topic/66245

     Like I've said before, Woods wasn't the 1st, 2nd or 3rd thing wrong with this defense.  But he did (didn't do) some things I would have liked to see.  Having Ward play more snaps in the slot is probably the biggest one of those.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    From the article.

    ROTATING NICKEL COVERAGE ROLE

    Denzel Ward spoke today about the slot corner role being a moving target for the defense. He noted he will be aligning in there more often and Schwartz also touched on the topic.

    From a couple months ago....

    /topic/66245

     Like I've said before, Woods wasn't the 1st, 2nd or 3rd thing wrong with this defense.  But he did (didn't do) some things I would have liked to see.  Having Ward play more snaps in the slot is probably the biggest one of those.  

    I am not so sure.

    To me the big problem was communication.  That is on the D coordinator.

    Everything I gather is there was too much thinking and not enough reacting and making the O react to what you are doing.  Teaching graduate material to an undergraduate class is on the professor if everybody is failing.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I suppose you mean Myles.

    Linemen don't matter.  It might matter for new players so they can get to know some of their teammates, but linemen and backs don't have anything to do during these sessions.  As was stated in the article, it is a passing camp, so unless I was a rookie or new to the team, why bother?

    Be a leader?

    @kvoethe said:

    Be a leader?

    And do what?  I am serious.  Standing around is being a leader?  Plus, who says Myles is or wants to be a leader?  You don't pin the leader tag on the donkey.  It just happens.  Some special teams player can emerge as a leader.  It doesn't have to be the best player.

    As fans we many times think the best player has to be the leader, but the players on the team determine who is the leader.

  • 1.  At the end of the day just give me a dependable number 2 behind Cooper.  I don't care about rookie contracts or how many spaces we moved back. 

    2. Jim Schwartz gets a passing grade if he can simply improve the run D and provide a scheme that provides pressure outside of Myles Garrett. 

    3.  Does our press always need to obsess about our second string QB?  They are always looking for the next thing, its annoying.

    @brownsfan92 said:

    1.  At the end of the day just give me a dependable number 2 behind Cooper.  I don't care about rookie contracts or how many spaces we moved back. 

    2. Jim Schwartz gets a passing grade if he can simply improve the run D and provide a scheme that provides pressure outside of Myles Garrett. 

    3.  Does our press always need to obsess about our second string QB?  They are always looking for the next thing, its annoying.

    1 & 2. BINGO

    3. Depending on how old fans are - you may find a lot of people that agree with you about the focus on the 2nd string QB.  In 1970 the Browns traded up for the 3rd overall pick - Purdue's Mike Phipps.   That never unfolded as the Browns hoped it would and Bill Nelsen's knees where slamming his career into park.  2 years later, the Browns drafted a guy that was almost 6'1" tall at 170lbs in the 13th round out of San Diego State.  Rumor had it, if this guy participated in a punt, pass and kick competition for teenage girls - he'd be lucky if he finished in the top 3.  This guy's name was Brian Sipe who went on to become the only NFL MVP this franchise has had after the 60s.  With all the disappointing 1st round QBs this franchise has drafted after the 80s, the most popular guy in Cleveland always seemed to be the 2nd string QB.  I still remember a game where Tim Couch laid motionless for a few minutes or so on the field.  Consequently, Kelly Holcomb started warming up his arm to what sounded like the chorus of 60,000 fans cheering.  Even though many/most of them weren't cheering Couch's injury - it still seemed kind of eerie. That's all part of that culture where the 2nd string QB in Cleveland was very popular with the fans. The best way to sell newspapers was to feed that craving from our fanbase right or wrong.  It does get old after a while so I GET why you feel the way you do.  Just know, it's not going away any time soon. 

  • @kvoethe said:

    Be a leader?

    And do what?  I am serious.  Standing around is being a leader?  Plus, who says Myles is or wants to be a leader?  You don't pin the leader tag on the donkey.  It just happens.  Some special teams player can emerge as a leader.  It doesn't have to be the best player.

    As fans we many times think the best player has to be the leader, but the players on the team determine who is the leader.

    @ballpeen said:

    And do what?  I am serious.  Standing around is being a leader?  Plus, who says Myles is or wants to be a leader?  You don't pin the leader tag on the donkey.  It just happens.  Some special teams player can emerge as a leader.  It doesn't have to be the best player.

    As fans we many times think the best player has to be the leader, but the players on the team determine who is the leader.

    Good points! 

    However, I will say that the work ethic of Garrett and Chubb make them both good leaders by example for the younger guys transitioning from college to PROFESSIONAL football.  They can be quiet leaders in that way; but they don't necessarily have to be team captains per say. Like you said, the players often vote on that because it's effective.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I suppose you mean Myles.

    Linemen don't matter.  It might matter for new players so they can get to know some of their teammates, but linemen and backs don't have anything to do during these sessions.  As was stated in the article, it is a passing camp, so unless I was a rookie or new to the team, why bother?

    He's not going to bother to respond back to you.

    The only thing he's here to do is to troll.

    You'd think the moderators would catch on to this...

    @dutch-oven said:

    He's not going to bother to respond back to you.

    The only thing he's here to do is to troll.

    You'd think the moderators would catch on to this...

    Do you find it interesting that many of the guys that wanted Donald Trump to be their political messiah don't want Deshaun Watson to be the QB of the Browns? 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    He's not going to bother to respond back to you.

    The only thing he's here to do is to troll.

    You'd think the moderators would catch on to this...

    Do you find it interesting that many of the guys that wanted Donald Trump to be their political messiah don't want Deshaun Watson to be the QB of the Browns? 

    @flugel said:

    Do you find it interesting that many of the guys that wanted Donald Trump to be their political messiah don't want Deshaun Watson to be the QB of the Browns? 

    I'd don't find anything Trump supporters think "interesting". 

    But I get the irony, of course. Their selective moral compass is hilarious.

    But let's keep the political talk to the cesspool that is the Poliboard. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    And do what?  I am serious.  Standing around is being a leader?  Plus, who says Myles is or wants to be a leader?  You don't pin the leader tag on the donkey.  It just happens.  Some special teams player can emerge as a leader.  It doesn't have to be the best player.

    As fans we many times think the best player has to be the leader, but the players on the team determine who is the leader.

    Good points! 

    However, I will say that the work ethic of Garrett and Chubb make them both good leaders by example for the younger guys transitioning from college to PROFESSIONAL football.  They can be quiet leaders in that way; but they don't necessarily have to be team captains per say. Like you said, the players often vote on that because it's effective.

    @flugel said:

    Good points! 

    However, I will say that the work ethic of Garrett and Chubb make them both good leaders by example for the younger guys transitioning from college to PROFESSIONAL football.  They can be quiet leaders in that way; but they don't necessarily have to be team captains per say. Like you said, the players often vote on that because it's effective.

    I am not saying guys like that aren't leaders.  I am just saying that showing up to voluntary OTA's makes or doesn't make them leaders.  It's all 7 on 7 stuff.  Linemen of any sort don't do anything but stand around.  There is some classroom stuff, but guys like Myles don't need that.

  • @flugel said:

    Good points! 

    However, I will say that the work ethic of Garrett and Chubb make them both good leaders by example for the younger guys transitioning from college to PROFESSIONAL football.  They can be quiet leaders in that way; but they don't necessarily have to be team captains per say. Like you said, the players often vote on that because it's effective.

    I am not saying guys like that aren't leaders.  I am just saying that showing up to voluntary OTA's makes or doesn't make them leaders.  It's all 7 on 7 stuff.  Linemen of any sort don't do anything but stand around.  There is some classroom stuff, but guys like Myles don't need that.

    @ballpeen said:

    I am not saying guys like that aren't leaders.  I am just saying that showing up to voluntary OTA's makes or doesn't make them leaders.  It's all 7 on 7 stuff.  Linemen of any sort don't do anything but stand around.  There is some classroom stuff, but guys like Myles don't need that.

    We're in total agreement, which is why I started with "Good points!" I just wanted to piggyback in that leaders don't need to be loud.  I like your points made as well.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    From the article.

    ROTATING NICKEL COVERAGE ROLE

    Denzel Ward spoke today about the slot corner role being a moving target for the defense. He noted he will be aligning in there more often and Schwartz also touched on the topic.

    From a couple months ago....

    /topic/66245

     Like I've said before, Woods wasn't the 1st, 2nd or 3rd thing wrong with this defense.  But he did (didn't do) some things I would have liked to see.  Having Ward play more snaps in the slot is probably the biggest one of those.  

    I am not so sure.

    To me the big problem was communication.  That is on the D coordinator.

    Everything I gather is there was too much thinking and not enough reacting and making the O react to what you are doing.  Teaching graduate material to an undergraduate class is on the professor if everybody is failing.

    @ballpeen said:

    I am not so sure.

    To me the big problem was communication.  That is on the D coordinator.

    Everything I gather is there was too much thinking and not enough reacting and making the O react to what you are doing.  Teaching graduate material to an undergraduate class is on the professor if everybody is failing.

    The two biggest coverage busts, one which went for a big gain that setup the Panthers in scoring position...

    The other which gave the Jets a tying touchdown...

     Both were to Grant Delpit's side of the field.  Both, unsurprisingly, came with calls being incorrectly given to the corners.   Either not knowing the correct verbiage or just relaying the wrong call to the DB's on your split field is absolutely on your shoulders as a safety.  I've done that before too.  We had a check ("red") against certain looks, and I gave a bad check. Locked a corner in man  and forgot he wasn't in cloud.  RB ended up catching a short gain flat, and took it for a TD in a game that was decided by 6 points against a team from PA (Hickory)  That shit made me sick to my stomach.  

     It's up to the D cord to make sure these players are versed in the language and can effectively communicate within that language.    If somebody botches the call wrong on the field, that isn't on the coach.   Players need accountability as well.   By no small coincidence, once Delpit's role was reduced to more of his 2021 limitations, he started playing better.   Kid just mentally had trouble getting up to speed.   And he was a high 2nd round pick with expectations to take that next step, on a team that didn't have a ton of quality DB play behind him.  

  • @ballpeen said:

    I am not so sure.

    To me the big problem was communication.  That is on the D coordinator.

    Everything I gather is there was too much thinking and not enough reacting and making the O react to what you are doing.  Teaching graduate material to an undergraduate class is on the professor if everybody is failing.

    The two biggest coverage busts, one which went for a big gain that setup the Panthers in scoring position...

    The other which gave the Jets a tying touchdown...

     Both were to Grant Delpit's side of the field.  Both, unsurprisingly, came with calls being incorrectly given to the corners.   Either not knowing the correct verbiage or just relaying the wrong call to the DB's on your split field is absolutely on your shoulders as a safety.  I've done that before too.  We had a check ("red") against certain looks, and I gave a bad check. Locked a corner in man  and forgot he wasn't in cloud.  RB ended up catching a short gain flat, and took it for a TD in a game that was decided by 6 points against a team from PA (Hickory)  That shit made me sick to my stomach.  

     It's up to the D cord to make sure these players are versed in the language and can effectively communicate within that language.    If somebody botches the call wrong on the field, that isn't on the coach.   Players need accountability as well.   By no small coincidence, once Delpit's role was reduced to more of his 2021 limitations, he started playing better.   Kid just mentally had trouble getting up to speed.   And he was a high 2nd round pick with expectations to take that next step, on a team that didn't have a ton of quality DB play behind him.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    The two biggest coverage busts, one which went for a big gain that setup the Panthers in scoring position...

    The other which gave the Jets a tying touchdown...

     Both were to Grant Delpit's side of the field.  Both, unsurprisingly, came with calls being incorrectly given to the corners.   Either not knowing the correct verbiage or just relaying the wrong call to the DB's on your split field is absolutely on your shoulders as a safety.  I've done that before too.  We had a check ("red") against certain looks, and I gave a bad check. Locked a corner in man  and forgot he wasn't in cloud.  RB ended up catching a short gain flat, and took it for a TD in a game that was decided by 6 points against a team from PA (Hickory)  That shit made me sick to my stomach.  

     It's up to the D cord to make sure these players are versed in the language and can effectively communicate within that language.    If somebody botches the call wrong on the field, that isn't on the coach.   Players need accountability as well.   By no small coincidence, once Delpit's role was reduced to more of his 2021 limitations, he started playing better.   Kid just mentally had trouble getting up to speed.   And he was a high 2nd round pick with expectations to take that next step, on a team that didn't have a ton of quality DB play behind him.  

    No doubt players need to be held accountable. I agree 100%.

    As you said, "It's up to the D cord to make sure these players are versed in the language and can effectively communicate within that language."

    If the language is too hard, or the player is too dim to be able to do that, you best not play him.  If it is simply a mistake, well, shit happens.

  • The Jets “Hail Mary” you are up 30-17 under 2 mins…the two deepest guys have one job and one job only don’t let anyone in an opposing jersey deeper than you.  Mistakes happen.  The mistake should have been both guys tailing the deep guy.
     

    We may find out Joe had some knuckleheads he was working with but he was given time and draft capital and we had an infusion of talent from his first year…we tried.