Skip to content

DA @ 31st in NFL, over Thigpen, Griese, and Fitzpatrick...

The Browns Board
40 18 1.9k
  • I love fat chicks.

  • Well done ATE, that was a nice rant and spot on.

  • \ said:

    \ said:

    Absolutely mind boggling to me that anyone can argue for DA after looking at these FACTS. Who are you people and why do you want the Browns to lose so badly? I understand that one goober who is from Oregon and has a man crush on DA, but anyone who is a TRUE Browns fan, what is it going to take for you to want a change? Wow.

    Actually I wanted change heading into last season, and already got it; I wanted to start winning (we won 10 of 15), and especially winning at home where I have season tickets to the venue (we won 7 straight). I wanted us to change the fact that we had only one Pro Bowl player in the first eight seasons back (we had multiple ones including the guy your dissing and those who directly benefitted from him). I wanted a change in these dink-n-dunk crybaby QB's, and we got that in one that put up stats just shy of Brian Sipe. I wanted to quit with this knee-jerk reaction to changing for the sake of change and I like that Crennel has been patient (perhaps over-patient, but it was much needed in this organization). I hate pretty boy QB's that are token boy-wonders before they ever step foot on an NFL field. I've seen what those types can do and believe me they aren't any instant change by any stretch of the imagination. I wanted to get into big games and win them, which we did on MNF against the super Bowl Champs. I was told we couldn't win against good teams and especially on the road, Check-did that too (just yesterday).

    If you "Real Fans" would quit bitching like it's 1996 all over again and start giving this team a chance to grow, we might have something someday. You guys act like freaking babies, you bitch, moan, and cry about everything and as soon as this paper franchise puts up a pretty token boy for you shallow whiners to grab onto you run out and gobble up their game day jerseys like they are going out of style.

    You were one of thousands that bought a Brady Quinn Jersey, we get it. You are embarrassed to wear it in front of your girlfriend and have to explain that the guy doesn't even start ... we feel your pain .... You even bought a pink one for her, and she keeps looking for him on the field ... believe me we understand all too much, as we lived through 1999 and the kentucky rifle.

    Solution: Date fat chicks and get them the safe Shaun Rogers Jersey.

    Hmmm, through your entire post, you still FAILED to acknowledge the FACTS. What has been starting quality about DA over the last 11 games as a WHOLE? You can't answer it because nothing has. I don't buy player jerseys FYI because free agency ruined any sense of team and loyalty in the NFL long ago. LOL @ the Rogers comment, but I don't even thinks that's a safe one to buy. (although my girl could prob fit in it right now she's due with our first child on wed, yikes!) (actually I could probably still fit 4 of her in Rogers jersey) With big mouthed primadonnas like Winslow and Edwards, Rogers won't be far behind if we don't make the playoffs. (which we won't with DA at the helm) The stats don't lie. I understand your happiness with a winning season last year, I was happy as well ....but get over it. Your hatred for good looking male athletes borders on absurd, it seems more like jealousy than something based on anything substantial. Most athletes have giant heads, and are full of themselves, at least 80% of the browns are. Because Quinn is a "pretty boy" as you put it, means jack squat, and is too weak of an argument coming from someone with a good head on his shoulders. I don't like knee jerk reactions either, but basing my opinion on a QB in the league for 4 years, who can't even make it to the top 20 QBs in the league on a team with an above average O-Line and some great weapons, is not knee-jerk, it's common sense. I really could care less if it's Quinn, Dorsey, or some guy we draft next year. We need a QB that can AT THE VERY LEAST be in the top 15 QBs in the league on a team ripe with talent. DA blows, and that is a fact. I appreciate the fact that a third string QB came in last year and played very well when our opponents had no film on him, but last year is over and I see ZERO growth. Any coach who plays man against DA should be fired because he is INCAPABLE of reading a zone. In any case, I digress ....GO BROWNS!! Please explain to me how our team has looked so god awful most of this year, and yet we have improved in almost every statistical category possible, except @ the most important position ....QB.

  • Actually, you're right Atenears - DA made the plays we needed him to make. That play to Stubbedtoes was huge as was the 4th down pass to Heiden. I gotta cut him a little slack - even if he scares the hell out of me. icon_twisted.gif

    - Tom F.

  • \ said:

    \ said:

    \ said:

    Absolutely mind boggling to me that anyone can argue for DA after looking at these FACTS. Who are you people and why do you want the Browns to lose so badly? I understand that one goober who is from Oregon and has a man crush on DA, but anyone who is a TRUE Browns fan, what is it going to take for you to want a change? Wow.

    Actually I wanted change heading into last season, and already got it; I wanted to start winning (we won 10 of 15), and especially winning at home where I have season tickets to the venue (we won 7 straight). I wanted us to change the fact that we had only one Pro Bowl player in the first eight seasons back (we had multiple ones including the guy your dissing and those who directly benefitted from him). I wanted a change in these dink-n-dunk crybaby QB's, and we got that in one that put up stats just shy of Brian Sipe. I wanted to quit with this knee-jerk reaction to changing for the sake of change and I like that Crennel has been patient (perhaps over-patient, but it was much needed in this organization). I hate pretty boy QB's that are token boy-wonders before they ever step foot on an NFL field. I've seen what those types can do and believe me they aren't any instant change by any stretch of the imagination. I wanted to get into big games and win them, which we did on MNF against the super Bowl Champs. I was told we couldn't win against good teams and especially on the road, Check-did that too (just yesterday).

    If you "Real Fans" would quit bitching like it's 1996 all over again and start giving this team a chance to grow, we might have something someday. You guys act like freaking babies, you bitch, moan, and cry about everything and as soon as this paper franchise puts up a pretty token boy for you shallow whiners to grab onto you run out and gobble up their game day jerseys like they are going out of style.

    You were one of thousands that bought a Brady Quinn Jersey, we get it. You are embarrassed to wear it in front of your girlfriend and have to explain that the guy doesn't even start ... we feel your pain .... You even bought a pink one for her, and she keeps looking for him on the field ... believe me we understand all too much, as we lived through 1999 and the kentucky rifle.

    Solution: Date fat chicks and get them the safe Shaun Rogers Jersey.

    Hmmm, through your entire post, you still FAILED to acknowledge the FACTS. What has been starting quality about DA over the last 11 games as a WHOLE? You can't answer it because nothing has. I don't buy player jerseys FYI because free agency ruined any sense of team and loyalty in the NFL long ago. LOL @ the Rogers comment, but I don't even thinks that's a safe one to buy. (although my girl could prob fit in it right now she's due with our first child on wed, yikes!) (actually I could probably still fit 4 of her in Rogers jersey) With big mouthed primadonnas like Winslow and Edwards, Rogers won't be far behind if we don't make the playoffs. (which we won't with DA at the helm) The stats don't lie. I understand your happiness with a winning season last year, I was happy as well ....but get over it. Your hatred for good looking male athletes borders on absurd, it seems more like jealousy than something based on anything substantial. Most athletes have giant heads, and are full of themselves, at least 80% of the browns are. Because Quinn is a "pretty boy" as you put it, means jack squat, and is too weak of an argument coming from someone with a good head on his shoulders. I don't like knee jerk reactions either, but basing my opinion on a QB in the league for 4 years, who can't even make it to the top 20 QBs in the league on a team with an above average O-Line and some great weapons, is not knee-jerk, it's common sense. I really could care less if it's Quinn, Dorsey, or some guy we draft next year. We need a QB that can AT THE VERY LEAST be in the top 15 QBs in the league on a team ripe with talent. DA blows, and that is a fact. I appreciate the fact that a third string QB came in last year and played very well when our opponents had no film on him, but last year is over and I see ZERO growth. Any coach who plays man against DA should be fired because he is INCAPABLE of reading a zone. In any case, I digress ....GO BROWNS!! Please explain to me how our team has looked so god awful most of this year, and yet we have improved in almost every statistical category possible, except @ the most important position ....QB.

    Amen, brother. I could not have said it any better myself. DA leaves too many plays on the field. Overthrowing Ali in the end zone when there is not a soul around him? Twice inside the red zone and he can't hit open receivers. He is not the long term solution. Savage is showcasing him so that they can dump him after the season. There is no other explanation as to why he is playing. Is Quinn our guy? That remains to be seen. But it is clear that DA is not.

  • seriously this isnt even a debate all DA does is throw 5 to 12 yard passes at receivers feet, behind them, and where they will get laid out (EX. Josh Cribbs, Washington, 'nough said) Im not saying brady will win every game but he wont make the dumb mistakes, and poor plays DA makes on a constant basis. WE NEED CHANGE, THE GOLDEN ARM STRAIGHT OUTTA OHIO, WHO GROW UP WATCHING THE ONE AND ONLY BERNIE KOSAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT SOME DUMBASS HICK FROM A SMALL TOWN IN OREGON WHO LAUGHS WHEN HE MAKES DUMB PLAYS.

    ps. as for K2 God bless him and everything he says. its about time somebody spoke out to this bull s*** management style of lets watch DA ruin our team, punish our franchise players, watch a passive "coach" sit there without emotion, and ruin great talent we have!

    GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we need bill cowher!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • \ said:

    Savage is showcasing him so that they can dump him after the season. There is no other explanation as to why he is playing.

    The real explanation is that DA is just better than BQ. If you think there is any other reason he is playing, and especially if you think that any NFL team in NFL history has ever considered starting a lesser player at any position just to "showcase" that player in hopes for a little extra trade value, then you have a load of shit in your pants.

  • \ said:

    I appreciate the fact that a third string QB came in last year and played very well when our opponents had no film on him, but last year is over and I see ZERO growth. Any coach who plays man against DA should be fired because he is INCAPABLE of reading a zone.

    Good point, and we could go tit-for-tat on every 'excuse' as to why the passing game, and at times the running game, and/or protection, and over-all execution, and play calling of the offense has been inconsistient at best. But you touched on a very legit point about defenses now having a read on him and have adjusted and forced him to play a weakness ... but why are you so afraid to let him work through that and counter that by making our own adjustments and becoming more familiar with what defenses are forcing him to do and get an opportunity to over-come it?

    Did the NFL defenses give up and all go to their second stringers when DA had the upper hand on them last season?

    Four years my ass ... the kid was handed the keys last year in week #2 and has had one off-season as the token starter. He's what made Joe Thomas the legend he was his rookie year, he's who made Braylon a household name, who distributed the ball to Winslow to tie Ozzie Newsomes record. Anderson is that guy who finishes in the top-20, as in 5th in TD's, 9th-in yards, 8th-attempts & 9th in completions, 3rd in pass completitons over 20+ yards all last season ... He's been there, something no one else in this organization has even remotely come close to in 20+ years. Funny, but no one is talking much about Joe Thomas and our O-line this season. Jamal Lewis sure ain't walking in from the one yardline behind this line. Winlsow being called everything but the best TE in football, infact he's hasn't even gotten the label of best TE on the Browns one year removed, and Braylon drops everything but his bad concentration habits. DA was the key last year and he's trying to carry these same players again this year. Ever get the thought that maybe Chud's first year schemes in play calling have been figured out too? That Braylon's had adjustments to stop him, that perhaps Winslow is being more double teamed in Joe J's absense? That more film is available on Joe Thomas too? More film on Josh Cribbs return game? More film on uses for Jerome Harrison? Why does it always have to be all about DA?

    He's had errant passes, He's been picked, he's had trouble still with the short game even though focus was put into that area of need all off-season, his release point on short passes is too low - causing blocked passes ... too many blocked passes. All the while he isn't even throwing the ball deep, which was his biggest asset in 2007. I know all of that ... I still like the kid, I've seen him do what I didn't see all them other hill-jacks we've paraded out there since 1999 do.

    I'll go with the guy who's been there before, even if it's only been half the time. He's still young, I believe he will get better and more consistient. I'm not ready to see what Brady Couch can do ... I really could care less. If he don't want to stick around and wait his turn, that's his freaking problem, he's collected over $5-mil this season so boo-f'ing-hoo. He's waited 20 games, we've all waited nine years (if not a lifetime). If that attitude makes me a "Non true fan" then so-be-it.

    When baby Quinn is born, give his a kiss on his soft little noggin for me. Congrats to you and your girl.

  • \ said:

    \ said:

    I appreciate the fact that a third string QB came in last year and played very well when our opponents had no film on him, but last year is over and I see ZERO growth. Any coach who plays man against DA should be fired because he is INCAPABLE of reading a zone.

    Good point, and we could go tit-for-tat on every 'excuse' as to why the passing game, and at times the running game, and/or protection, and over-all execution, and play calling of the offense has been inconsistient at best. But you touched on a very legit point about defenses now having a read on him and have adjusted and forced him to play a weakness ... but why are you so afraid to let him work through that and counter that by making our own adjustments and becoming more familiar with what defenses are forcing him to do and get an opportunity to over-come it?

    Did the NFL defenses give up and all go to their second stringers when DA had the upper hand on them last season?

    Four years my ass ... the kid was handed the keys last year in week #2 and has had one off-season as the token starter. He's what made Joe Thomas the legend he was his rookie year, he's who made Braylon a household name, who distributed the ball to Winslow to tie Ozzie Newsomes record. Anderson is that guy who finishes in the top-20, as in 5th in TD's, 9th-in yards, 8th-attempts & 9th in completions, 3rd in pass completitons over 20+ yards all last season ... He's been there, something no one else in this organization has even remotely come close to in 20+ years. Funny, but no one is talking much about Joe Thomas and our O-line this season. Jamal Lewis sure ain't walking in from the one yardline behind this line. Winlsow being called everything but the best TE in football, infact he's hasn't even gotten the label of best TE on the Browns one year removed, and Braylon drops everything but his bad concentration habits. DA was the key last year and he's trying to carry these same players again this year. Ever get the thought that maybe Chud's first year schemes in play calling have been figured out too? That Braylon's had adjustments to stop him, that perhaps Winslow is being more double teamed in Joe J's absense? That more film is available on Joe Thomas too? More film on Josh Cribbs return game? More film on uses for Jerome Harrison? Why does it always have to be all about DA?

    He's had errant passes, He's been picked, he's had trouble still with the short game even though focus was put into that area of need all off-season, his release point on short passes is too low - causing blocked passes ... too many blocked passes. All the while he isn't even throwing the ball deep, which was his biggest asset in 2007. I know all of that ... I still like the kid, I've seen him do what I didn't see all them other hill-jacks we've paraded out there since 1999 do.

    I'll go with the guy who's been there before, even if it's only been half the time. He's still young, I believe he will get better and more consistient. I'm not ready to see what Brady Couch can do ... I really could care less. If he don't want to stick around and wait his turn, that's his freaking problem, he's collected over $5-mil this season so boo-f'ing-hoo. He's waited 20 games, we've all waited nine years (if not a lifetime). If that attitude makes me a "Non true fan" then so-be-it.

    When baby Quinn is born, give his a kiss on his soft little noggin for me. Congrats to you and your girl.

    Keep playing a QB that cost the team wins. Good call. I don't care who the back up is either. Da is nothing more than a good back up in this league. Great job againist pitt,balt, and wash.

  • \ said:

    Overthrowing Ali in the end zone when there is not a soul around him?

    Twice inside the red zone and he can't hit open receivers.

    Didn't Anderson stick a TD pass into Stallworths bread basket on one drive and Jamal Lewis take in another?

    How did we get into those scoring positions again?

  • you can compare DA with those other guys if you want. I think I would rather have DA than any of those other guys that's for sure.

  • I think that the reason that the Browns stick with DA is simple. At this time he gives them the best chance to win. That means at this time he is better suited to start than the backup. For better or worse he is the Browns best option. The backup might intrigue the fans but apparantly does not intrigue the coaches enough to start him.

    This is the NFL and the head coaches head is on the line every year. You play to win and to win now. Very few if any organization have the patience with coaches that the Steelers have. What have they had 3 coaches in 30 years?

    The other reason that DA is prolly starting is games like the Giants game. When as Steve Young put it, when DA plays like that he is a TOP 5 QB in this league. That means he has potential, and it was not against a weak team. YES DA needs more consitency. Drive you crazy that he can play like he did in the giants game and then play like he did against Washington (though didn't he play better in the fourth trying to put them in position to win?).

    What you want to see out of DA is about 5 out of 10 games like he had against the giants (not 1 out of 10), 3 out of 10 like against Jacksonville and only 2 out of 10 subpar games (he has had 4 or 5 this year). He is young and needs to show improvement and more consitency. He has not showed this as of yet but he keeps showing it when you least expect.

    People say DA can't handle pressure, well to tell you the truth I think you should tell him his job is on the line every week. Because it seems when his job is on the line he plays well. Last year 0 wins VS playoff teams, this year 2 wins vs playoff teams. He can play, he just needs to be more consitenant so that you know what you are going to get.

  • All I know is last year, when he was playing good, we needed a win in crunch time against the bengals and DA played a crap game. If you want to win championships you have to step up when the pressure is on, DA crumpled.

  • \ said:

    All I know is last year, when he was playing good, we needed a win in crunch time against the bengals and DA played a crap game. If you want to win championships you have to step up when the pressure is on, DA crumpled.

    Ok, he went 10-5 instead on 11-4 ... seems to me that you have to win ten games in order to be called a choker.

    He's 13-9 since being handed the team in week #2. He hasn't been injured, he suits up every game, and 13-9 is about the equivilent of finishing a complete season 10-6 or 9-7 ... that's improvement from before he took over folks.

    I apologize for pointing this out to you all ... I obvioiusly ain't a 'true fan', where should I turn in my Browns Backer card?

  • The games he has lost, he has lost them big, making horrible throws and bad decisions. Do you really want to finally make it to the playoffs and have a choke artist under center? I dont know about you but to me that Cinci game told alot about how DA is going to and does handle pressure. You need the QB that wants the ball in the last 2 min to win the game not the guy throwing the pick. I hope Im wrong about DA but we have seen alot of evidance of what to expect. We win these next 2 games and all will be forgoten and this debate will be for nought, if he goes out and chokes well we get to say what we have been saying for years "Next Year"

  • You are going to call a QB a choke artist because of a bad game in his first real full time season? If that is the case almost every QB in the league is a choke artist. Of course many of those first year starting QBs (not first year in league) did keep playing and ended up not being choke artists. I know DA choked against cincy, but he does have a number of come from behind games and this is really only his second season of significant playing time.

    It just seems to me that every time DAs job is on the line he seems to play well. So keep him on edge and make him feel BQ press him. Make him perform or bench him.

    Just seems that there must be a reason that the coaching staff is sticking with DA and not going with BQ. Maybe they feel DA has more upside? I know people on the board don't but we don't make the decisions. I guess I have to defer to the people that see them both play everyday. Because if it was me I would have started BQ against the Bengals.

    Here is too hoping the people that get paid to make football decisions know more than we do.

  • I don’t think you should waste your time hoping that the people that make the decision know what they are doing. It’s a fact that they know more then any poster on this board. If they thought for a minute that BQ the Doamer was better, he would be playing. He’s not, so he isn’t. When he’s better he will play. The lowest man on the totem pole always thinks the guy at the top of the pole is an idiot. Posters bitch and moan (that’s what boards are for) but their opinions are generally worth what they are getting paid for their posts. Which is uhhhh,,, nothing. So, keep the faith and root, root, root for the home team. The Browns will get better and then what will you have to complain about. I doubt we will be in the big one this year, but we will in a few more years. And DA will be the one that gets us there. But, like most of you, I could be wrong.

  • \ said:

    The other reason that DA is prolly starting is games like the Giants game. When as Steve Young put it, when DA plays like that he is a TOP 5 QB in this league.

    By Steve Youngs' logic, Thigpen after this week is also a Top 5 QB in this league. icon_rolleyes.gif

  • Really, I never heard Steve say that. I am not saying DA is a top 5 QB obviously. I am saying that he shows the ability to be but only if he becomes much more consistant. But really the bottom line is that the coaches are around these players everyday and it seems that they believe that DA is the QB that gives the Browns the best chance to win right now.

  • I'll admit I was one of the guys wanting to see DA sit. But when you think about it, the coaches see the QB's every day, every day. Like someone else here said, we don't have ALL the info.

    The one guy I know who hasn't helped DA's cause at all is BE. If he makes that catch against Dallas when he split the DB's. Not only a different complection to that game but definitely changes the whole start of the season. That play made me almost puke. WR's might short arm a pass over the middle but BE short-arms a catch with nothing but the endzone ahead of him. If anyone needs to be consistant it's our so-called "Marquis" reciever.