Skip to content

Browns cut's

The Browns Board
75 18 3.3k 1
  • @tiamat63 said:

     Seemingly every season Browns fans, really most NFL fans for that matter, get obsessed with a player who has a good pre-season.   The overwhelming majority of the time that player ends up going on to do very little.    I liked the kid, it's entirely possible he clears waivers.  If so, I'd be content using a protected practice squad spot on him.

    Who was that hippie TE people loved a few years ago that now sells healing crystals? 

    He was a cool cat. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Who was that hippie TE

    Baker Mayfield?

    I don't understand the benefit of Wright and Kunaszyk both "making" the roster for 8 seconds.. Does their contract status change if they go on IR before vs after declaring the 53?

  • @tiamat63 said:

     Seemingly every season Browns fans, really most NFL fans for that matter, get obsessed with a player who has a good pre-season.   The overwhelming majority of the time that player ends up going on to do very little.    I liked the kid, it's entirely possible he clears waivers.  If so, I'd be content using a protected practice squad spot on him.

    Who was that hippie TE people loved a few years ago that now sells healing crystals? 

    He was a cool cat. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Who was that hippie TE people loved a few years ago that now sells healing crystals? 

    He was a cool cat. 

    Cajuste?

  • Davion Davis last year too was a training camp hero if I recall. 
     

    He had a nice catch this weekend but he was cut by the Cards today 
     

  • @tiamat63 said:

     Seemingly every season Browns fans, really most NFL fans for that matter, get obsessed with a player who has a good pre-season.   The overwhelming majority of the time that player ends up going on to do very little.    I liked the kid, it's entirely possible he clears waivers.  If so, I'd be content using a protected practice squad spot on him.

    Who was that hippie TE people loved a few years ago that now sells healing crystals? 

    He was a cool cat. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Who was that hippie TE people loved a few years ago that now sells healing crystals? 

    He was a cool cat. 

    Not sure, but if he's splitting those shrooms then he's alright by me. 

  • Finally, Felton is gone.  But I bet, like a bad penny, he'll be back.

    Too bad for Watkins.  But disappearing in the final game didn't help him.  Perhaps he can get to the PS.

    @orion said:

    Too bad for Watkins.  But disappearing in the final game didn't help him.  Perhaps he can get to the PS.

      Most 11 on 11 camp video's, were not allowed during camp practices. But with all the injured WR personal at camp(Coop/Grant/Schwartz/Goodwin/Darden) You'd have to certainly hope the coaching staff saw Watkins against Ward/Newsome/Emerson at sometime... I can only recall preseason games where Watkins was covered by back-up corners. The Eagles, 2 day inter squad might have been Watkins toughest days? Don't recall him doing much. 

    Watkins is not gifted with the best shake nor speed.. But damn, he gets open & caught everything that touched his hands all camp/pre-season 

    Man! You just hope the staff got this call right!

  • @orion said:

    Too bad for Watkins.  But disappearing in the final game didn't help him.  Perhaps he can get to the PS.

      Most 11 on 11 camp video's, were not allowed during camp practices. But with all the injured WR personal at camp(Coop/Grant/Schwartz/Goodwin/Darden) You'd have to certainly hope the coaching staff saw Watkins against Ward/Newsome/Emerson at sometime... I can only recall preseason games where Watkins was covered by back-up corners. The Eagles, 2 day inter squad might have been Watkins toughest days? Don't recall him doing much. 

    Watkins is not gifted with the best shake nor speed.. But damn, he gets open & caught everything that touched his hands all camp/pre-season 

    Man! You just hope the staff got this call right!

    @gumby73 said:

    is not gifted with the best shake nor speed.. But damn, he gets open & caught everything that touched his hands

    So he's a less athletic Bell?  I'm just happy the WR room is 6 deep this season, can't remember the last time

  • I'm not one to revel in another man losing his job, but how in the hell Jordan Elliot survived the first and second round of cuts is just beyond me?

    @tiamat63 said:

    I'm not one to revel in another man losing his job, but how in the hell Jordan Elliot survived the first and second round of cuts is just beyond me?

    I agree.  All I can figure is Schwartz sees something in him or Berry has had a team or two sniffing around and he thinks he can trade him for something.

  • @orion said:

    Too bad for Watkins.  But disappearing in the final game didn't help him.  Perhaps he can get to the PS.

      Most 11 on 11 camp video's, were not allowed during camp practices. But with all the injured WR personal at camp(Coop/Grant/Schwartz/Goodwin/Darden) You'd have to certainly hope the coaching staff saw Watkins against Ward/Newsome/Emerson at sometime... I can only recall preseason games where Watkins was covered by back-up corners. The Eagles, 2 day inter squad might have been Watkins toughest days? Don't recall him doing much. 

    Watkins is not gifted with the best shake nor speed.. But damn, he gets open & caught everything that touched his hands all camp/pre-season 

    Man! You just hope the staff got this call right!

    @gumby73 said:

      Most 11 on 11 camp video's, were not allowed during camp practices. But with all the injured WR personal at camp(Coop/Grant/Schwartz/Goodwin/Darden) You'd have to certainly hope the coaching staff saw Watkins against Ward/Newsome/Emerson at sometime... I can only recall preseason games where Watkins was covered by back-up corners. The Eagles, 2 day inter squad might have been Watkins toughest days? Don't recall him doing much. 

    Watkins is not gifted with the best shake nor speed.. But damn, he gets open & caught everything that touched his hands all camp/pre-season 

    Man! You just hope the staff got this call right!

    Tough calls have to be made.  Goodwin brings the speed a team likes to have to help stretch things on the vertical.  In the end I don't think it was Goodwin or any of the other receivers who bounced Watkins off the 53.  I think it was Diabate or Hickman.  Probably more Hickman.  Diabate got a pretty sizeable signing bonus to sign with us as a UDFA.  I think it was 5th round money.  In the end both of those guys will be able to make immediate contributions on special teams for sure and possibly the D as a whole.  Both of those areas needed more help than the WR room did.  At best Watkins was only going to see very limited action this season.  I also think the teams feels that Watkins has the best chance to clear waivers.  The guy is already 25 which is nearing that barrier age of 30 for wide receivers.

    We have to remember, our philosophy, or roster strategy has changed.  Gone are the days where projecting guys 2-3 years down the road have taken a back seat to how can a player help todays team?  That's what happens when you establish a pretty solid roster and are looking at winning today more than developing players for the future.

  • @neo said:

    I don't know how somebody could have had one of the best if not THE best pre-season at WR and not mmake the 53 man roster. Only in Cleveland I guess. Unbelievable.

     Seemingly every season Browns fans, really most NFL fans for that matter, get obsessed with a player who has a good pre-season.   The overwhelming majority of the time that player ends up going on to do very little.    I liked the kid, it's entirely possible he clears waivers.  If so, I'd be content using a protected practice squad spot on him.

    @tiamat63 said:

     Seemingly every season Browns fans, really most NFL fans for that matter, get obsessed with a player who has a good pre-season.   The overwhelming majority of the time that player ends up going on to do very little.    I liked the kid, it's entirely possible he clears waivers.  If so, I'd be content using a protected practice squad spot on him.

    Just out of curiosity (and laziness), how many "protected" PS spots are there?

  • @tiamat63 said:

     Seemingly every season Browns fans, really most NFL fans for that matter, get obsessed with a player who has a good pre-season.   The overwhelming majority of the time that player ends up going on to do very little.    I liked the kid, it's entirely possible he clears waivers.  If so, I'd be content using a protected practice squad spot on him.

    Just out of curiosity (and laziness), how many "protected" PS spots are there?

    @texasag1969 said:

    Just out of curiosity (and laziness), how many "protected" PS spots are there?

    4?!?! Uno moment. 

    Yeah Google says 4.  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Just out of curiosity (and laziness), how many "protected" PS spots are there?

    4?!?! Uno moment. 

    Yeah Google says 4.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    Yeah Google says 4. 

    Ask Google how we know who's protected and who isn't.

  • @gumby73 said:

      Most 11 on 11 camp video's, were not allowed during camp practices. But with all the injured WR personal at camp(Coop/Grant/Schwartz/Goodwin/Darden) You'd have to certainly hope the coaching staff saw Watkins against Ward/Newsome/Emerson at sometime... I can only recall preseason games where Watkins was covered by back-up corners. The Eagles, 2 day inter squad might have been Watkins toughest days? Don't recall him doing much. 

    Watkins is not gifted with the best shake nor speed.. But damn, he gets open & caught everything that touched his hands all camp/pre-season 

    Man! You just hope the staff got this call right!

    Tough calls have to be made.  Goodwin brings the speed a team likes to have to help stretch things on the vertical.  In the end I don't think it was Goodwin or any of the other receivers who bounced Watkins off the 53.  I think it was Diabate or Hickman.  Probably more Hickman.  Diabate got a pretty sizeable signing bonus to sign with us as a UDFA.  I think it was 5th round money.  In the end both of those guys will be able to make immediate contributions on special teams for sure and possibly the D as a whole.  Both of those areas needed more help than the WR room did.  At best Watkins was only going to see very limited action this season.  I also think the teams feels that Watkins has the best chance to clear waivers.  The guy is already 25 which is nearing that barrier age of 30 for wide receivers.

    We have to remember, our philosophy, or roster strategy has changed.  Gone are the days where projecting guys 2-3 years down the road have taken a back seat to how can a player help todays team?  That's what happens when you establish a pretty solid roster and are looking at winning today more than developing players for the future.

    @ballpeen said:

    Tough calls have to be made.  Goodwin brings the speed a team likes to have to help stretch things on the vertical.  In the end I don't think it was Goodwin or any of the other receivers who bounced Watkins off the 53.  I think it was Diabate or Hickman.  Probably more Hickman.  Diabate got a pretty sizeable signing bonus to sign with us as a UDFA.  I think it was 5th round money.  In the end both of those guys will be able to make immediate contributions on special teams for sure and possibly the D as a whole.  Both of those areas needed more help than the WR room did.  At best Watkins was only going to see very limited action this season.  I also think the teams feels that Watkins has the best chance to clear waivers.  The guy is already 25 which is nearing that barrier age of 30 for wide receivers.

    We have to remember, our philosophy, or roster strategy has changed.  Gone are the days where projecting guys 2-3 years down the road have taken a back seat to how can a player help todays team?  That's what happens when you establish a pretty solid roster and are looking at winning today more than developing players for the future.

    Those are some good points you made. I still think the Browns probably had a pre-set volume of WRs they wanted to keep (but alter for the reasons you noted).  I like Goodwin's speed and all; but his usage the last 3 years he played seems a little limited to me per stats copied and pasted below.  2 of the last 3 years he only scored 1 TD and had a longest reception of 38 yards.  I don't know how fast Watkins is; but he impressed a lot of us every time we saw him play.  The job is to get open and catch the ball - or catch the ball when covered well. Watkins looked like he did all that extremely well when given the opportunities. Schwartz often ran himself into coverage when he was open or he dropped the ball when he remained open.  The Browns kept him around for 3 years while nothing about him jumped off the screen that said "THIS GUY IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER."  Please give me a WR like Brian Brennan over someone that can just run fast.  Maybe they're thinking David Bell can develop into something like that. We shall see...

    Year
    Year
    Team
    Team
    REC
    Total receptions
    YDS
    Receiving yards
    AVG
    Receiving yards per reception
    LNG
    Longest reception
    TD
    Receiving touchdowns
    YDS
    Rushing yards
    AVG
    Average yards per carry
     
    2022
    27
    387
    14.3
    38
    4
    5
    2.5
     
    2021
    20
    313
    15.7
    50
    1
    -1
    -0.5
     
    2019
     
    12
    186
    15.5
    38
    1
    15
    15.0
  • @tiamat63 said:

    Yeah Google says 4. 

    Ask Google how we know who's protected and who isn't.

    @orion said:

    Ask Google how we know who's protected and who isn't.

    Google says to look for the guys with a '!' above their heads.  

    .... I think they might be giving me instructions on how to play Zelda? 

  • The practice squad rules below, as there seems to be some confusion.  How and when a team has to designate the 4 protected players in unknown, but it doesn't really matter as long as the team and league knows.

    NFL practice squad salaries: Minimum salary, eligibility rules & more to know for 2023 (msn.com)

  • @orion said:

    Ask Google how we know who's protected and who isn't.

    Google says to look for the guys with a '!' above their heads.  

    .... I think they might be giving me instructions on how to play Zelda? 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Google says to look for the guys with a '!' above their heads.  

    .... I think they might be giving me instructions on how to play Zelda? 

    LOl....and  in the end, does it really matter if we know?  I've never had someone from the FO call to ask me if I agreed or approved.

    Just saying...

  • @ballpeen said:

    Tough calls have to be made.  Goodwin brings the speed a team likes to have to help stretch things on the vertical.  In the end I don't think it was Goodwin or any of the other receivers who bounced Watkins off the 53.  I think it was Diabate or Hickman.  Probably more Hickman.  Diabate got a pretty sizeable signing bonus to sign with us as a UDFA.  I think it was 5th round money.  In the end both of those guys will be able to make immediate contributions on special teams for sure and possibly the D as a whole.  Both of those areas needed more help than the WR room did.  At best Watkins was only going to see very limited action this season.  I also think the teams feels that Watkins has the best chance to clear waivers.  The guy is already 25 which is nearing that barrier age of 30 for wide receivers.

    We have to remember, our philosophy, or roster strategy has changed.  Gone are the days where projecting guys 2-3 years down the road have taken a back seat to how can a player help todays team?  That's what happens when you establish a pretty solid roster and are looking at winning today more than developing players for the future.

    Those are some good points you made. I still think the Browns probably had a pre-set volume of WRs they wanted to keep (but alter for the reasons you noted).  I like Goodwin's speed and all; but his usage the last 3 years he played seems a little limited to me per stats copied and pasted below.  2 of the last 3 years he only scored 1 TD and had a longest reception of 38 yards.  I don't know how fast Watkins is; but he impressed a lot of us every time we saw him play.  The job is to get open and catch the ball - or catch the ball when covered well. Watkins looked like he did all that extremely well when given the opportunities. Schwartz often ran himself into coverage when he was open or he dropped the ball when he remained open.  The Browns kept him around for 3 years while nothing about him jumped off the screen that said "THIS GUY IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER."  Please give me a WR like Brian Brennan over someone that can just run fast.  Maybe they're thinking David Bell can develop into something like that. We shall see...

    Year
    Year
    Team
    Team
    REC
    Total receptions
    YDS
    Receiving yards
    AVG
    Receiving yards per reception
    LNG
    Longest reception
    TD
    Receiving touchdowns
    YDS
    Rushing yards
    AVG
    Average yards per carry
     
    2022
    27
    387
    14.3
    38
    4
    5
    2.5
     
    2021
    20
    313
    15.7
    50
    1
    -1
    -0.5
     
    2019
     
    12
    186
    15.5
    38
    1
    15
    15.0

    @flugel said:

    Those are some good points you made. I still think the Browns probably had a pre-set volume of WRs they wanted to keep (but alter for the reasons you noted).  I like Goodwin's speed and all; but his usage the last 3 years he played seems a little limited to me per stats copied and pasted below.  2 of the last 3 years he only scored 1 TD and had a longest reception of 38 yards.  I don't know how fast Watkins is; but he impressed a lot of us every time we saw him play.  The job is to get open and catch the ball - or catch the ball when covered well. Watkins looked like he did all that extremely well when given the opportunities. Schwartz often ran himself into coverage when he was open or he dropped the ball when he remained open.  The Browns kept him around for 3 years while nothing about him jumped off the screen that said "THIS GUY IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER."  Please give me a WR like Brian Brennan over someone that can just run fast.  Maybe they're thinking David Bell can develop into something like that. We shall see...

    Year
    Year
    Team
    Team
    REC
    Total receptions
    YDS
    Receiving yards
    AVG
    Receiving yards per reception
    LNG
    Longest reception
    TD
    Receiving touchdowns
    YDS
    Rushing yards
    AVG
    Average yards per carry
     
    2022
    27
    387
    14.3
    38
    4
    5
    2.5
     
    2021
    20
    313
    15.7
    50
    1
    -1
    -0.5
     
    2019
     
    12
    186
    15.5
    38
    1
    15
    15.0

    We really only kept Schwartz for 2 seasons.  I don't count camps as seasons.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Google says to look for the guys with a '!' above their heads.  

    .... I think they might be giving me instructions on how to play Zelda? 

    LOl....and  in the end, does it really matter if we know?  I've never had someone from the FO call to ask me if I agreed or approved.

    Just saying...

    @ballpeen said:

    LOl....and  in the end, does it really matter if we know? 

    It doesn't, but it's interesting to speculate, though I'm sure it doesn't take much to discern who the 4 are.

    @ballpeen said:

    I've never had someone from the FO call to ask me if I agreed or approved.

    Just saying...

    I can only speak for myself when I say, I would much prefer they get into contact with me about personnel decisions. ?

  • @ballpeen said:

    LOl....and  in the end, does it really matter if we know? 

    It doesn't, but it's interesting to speculate, though I'm sure it doesn't take much to discern who the 4 are.

    @ballpeen said:

    I've never had someone from the FO call to ask me if I agreed or approved.

    Just saying...

    I can only speak for myself when I say, I would much prefer they get into contact with me about personnel decisions. ?

    @tiamat63 said:

    It doesn't, but it's interesting to speculate, though I'm sure it doesn't take much to discern who the 4 are.

    I can only speak for myself when I say, I would much prefer they get into contact with me about personnel decisions. ?

    I get it.  So would I.

    You seem to be more in tune than I on such matters, but even if you were the man in charge, there would be multitudes of people thinking you know nothing..you remember Sgt Schultz don't you?  LOL

    In the end I just have to trust that even if the decisions don't work out, they were thought out and talked through.  I like to think there is some sort of reasoning behind decisions and Berry isn't just throwing a dart at a list of names, picking the one he hits dead center.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    It doesn't, but it's interesting to speculate, though I'm sure it doesn't take much to discern who the 4 are.

    I can only speak for myself when I say, I would much prefer they get into contact with me about personnel decisions. ?

    I get it.  So would I.

    You seem to be more in tune than I on such matters, but even if you were the man in charge, there would be multitudes of people thinking you know nothing..you remember Sgt Schultz don't you?  LOL

    In the end I just have to trust that even if the decisions don't work out, they were thought out and talked through.  I like to think there is some sort of reasoning behind decisions and Berry isn't just throwing a dart at a list of names, picking the one he hits dead center.

    @ballpeen said:

    I get it.  So would I.

    You seem to be more in tune than I on such matters, but even if you were the man in charge, there would be multitudes of people thinking you know nothing..you remember Sgt Schultz don't you?  LOL

    In the end I just have to trust that even if the decisions don't work out, they were thought out and talked through.  I like to think there is some sort of reasoning behind decisions and Berry isn't just throwing a dart at a list of names, picking the one he hits dead center.

     Oh no, there is a process to this machine. On its face, football is a simple game that boils down to,  as Lombardi once said - "blocking and tackling".  

    But The subtle intricacies and complexity that also co-exist beyond the surface of that comments is what makes this game the greatest of all. 

    Had to look up Sgt Shultz. I think you guys forget I'm half your age. 

    Edit:  and yes, every front office have methods and chains to their decision making.  Doesn't always mean it's good or right, of course.  But at least there are gears turning. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    I get it.  So would I.

    You seem to be more in tune than I on such matters, but even if you were the man in charge, there would be multitudes of people thinking you know nothing..you remember Sgt Schultz don't you?  LOL

    In the end I just have to trust that even if the decisions don't work out, they were thought out and talked through.  I like to think there is some sort of reasoning behind decisions and Berry isn't just throwing a dart at a list of names, picking the one he hits dead center.

     Oh no, there is a process to this machine. On its face, football is a simple game that boils down to,  as Lombardi once said - "blocking and tackling".  

    But The subtle intricacies and complexity that also co-exist beyond the surface of that comments is what makes this game the greatest of all. 

    Had to look up Sgt Shultz. I think you guys forget I'm half your age. 

    Edit:  and yes, every front office have methods and chains to their decision making.  Doesn't always mean it's good or right, of course.  But at least there are gears turning. 

    @tiamat63 said:

     Oh no, there is a process to this machine. On its face, football is a simple game that boils down to,  as Lombardi once said - "blocking and tackling".  

    But The subtle intricacies and complexity that also co-exist beyond the surface of that comments is what makes this game the greatest of all. 

    Had to look up Sgt Shultz. I think you guys forget I'm half your age. 

    Edit:  and yes, every front office have methods and chains to their decision making.  Doesn't always mean it's good or right, of course.  But at least there are gears turning. 

    I never knew your age, but I know mine and figured that I am at least 25 or more years older than the average poster in here.  I remember events, sports and otherwise from the 50's first hand, not just reading about it in some book or article.  I thought you possibly had seen some Hogans Heros reruns, if not first hand.