Skip to content

Who Are The Browns Going To Pick at #54?

The Browns Board
62 11 2.8k
  • @tiamat63 said:

    Cross off Sweat entirely, or at best drop him a couple rounds to high day 3. 

    I think he's gone before we pick at 54.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @orion said:

    I think he's gone before we pick at 54.

    Good, let someone else take the 360lb guy. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #27

    This means nothing, but I keep seeing "The Browns met with..." stories on various Browns sites that seem to always be OTackle, DTackle and WR.

  • @orion said:

    I think he's gone before we pick at 54.

    Good, let someone else take the 360lb guy. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @dutch-oven said:

    Good, let someone else take the 360lb guy. 

    You're on a roll tonight!  ?  Looking at the weight of the guy above - I should have said you're on a bunch of rolls...

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Cross off Sweat entirely, or at best drop him a couple rounds to high day 3. 

    I think he's gone before we pick at 54.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @orion said:

    I think he's gone before we pick at 54.

    How about this guy as one of our last 2 picks?  WR Luke McCaffrey, Rice 6-2 195 lbs.  Beat his older brother Christian's time in the 40 yard dash running a 4.46.  He started off as a QB for Nebraska before transferring to Rice and settling in at WR.  He'd make a very good slot receiver IMO.

    https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Luke-McCaffrey-QB-Nebraska

  • @orion said:

    I think he's gone before we pick at 54.

    Good, let someone else take the 360lb guy. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @dutch-oven said:

    Good, let someone else take the 360lb guy. 

    It's an interesting measurement number.  It's also the number degrees in a circle.  He's a big round guy.  

    He won't fall far.  Somebody will see him as BPA and take him.

  • @orion said:

    I think he's gone before we pick at 54.

    How about this guy as one of our last 2 picks?  WR Luke McCaffrey, Rice 6-2 195 lbs.  Beat his older brother Christian's time in the 40 yard dash running a 4.46.  He started off as a QB for Nebraska before transferring to Rice and settling in at WR.  He'd make a very good slot receiver IMO.

    https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Luke-McCaffrey-QB-Nebraska

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @flugel said:

    How about this guy as one of our last 2 picks?  WR Luke McCaffrey, Rice 6-2 195 lbs.

    Good genes.  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Now where is cal to defend this guy? After all we had videos of a drunk Baker Mayfield with cops before we drafted him.

    Could you imagine the outrage from a certain corner of this message board if say Lamar Jackson had done something like that?

    THE OUTRAGE! ?

    (The absolute best part of that incident is a guy drafted #1 in the NFL could not outrun a cop. Comedy gold, right there.) 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @dutch-oven said:

    Could you imagine the outrage from a certain corner of this message board if say Lamar Jackson had done something like that?

    THE OUTRAGE! ?

    (The absolute best part of that incident is a guy drafted #1 in the NFL could not outrun a cop. Comedy gold, right there.) 

    And it wasn't like that cop didn't just get called out of a diner with a belly full of grits...  

  • @flugel said:

    How about this guy as one of our last 2 picks?  WR Luke McCaffrey, Rice 6-2 195 lbs.

    Good genes.  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @orion said:

    Good genes.  

    Last year at this time, BYU had a WR entering the draft that was 6-1 208lbs and not very well known by NFL Draft enthusiasts.  His name is Puka Nacua and he was selected by the Rams in the 5th round (as their last of 4 picks in that round).  More specifically, he became their 8th pick.  Here's a written summary of the selection: Non-stop motor and aggressive attitude helped Nacua overachieve for the Cougars... Good hands and body control... Can be dangerous on reverses and sweeps... Not a deep threat... Will make it difficult for the Rams to cut him, but he's not a game-breaker...

    In 2023, this rookie had 105 receptions 1486 yards 6 TDs 14.2 yards per catch.   Against the Browns he had 4 rec 105 yard 1 TD 26.3 ypc and 2 carries for 34 yards. Let's just say we got acquainted more than we wanted to.

    Why all this?   There's really good prospects all over this country that aren't on national television every week.  These are the gems in rounds 5-7 that award the teams that put in the research and the GMs that trust that research.

  • @orion said:

    Good genes.  

    Last year at this time, BYU had a WR entering the draft that was 6-1 208lbs and not very well known by NFL Draft enthusiasts.  His name is Puka Nacua and he was selected by the Rams in the 5th round (as their last of 4 picks in that round).  More specifically, he became their 8th pick.  Here's a written summary of the selection: Non-stop motor and aggressive attitude helped Nacua overachieve for the Cougars... Good hands and body control... Can be dangerous on reverses and sweeps... Not a deep threat... Will make it difficult for the Rams to cut him, but he's not a game-breaker...

    In 2023, this rookie had 105 receptions 1486 yards 6 TDs 14.2 yards per catch.   Against the Browns he had 4 rec 105 yard 1 TD 26.3 ypc and 2 carries for 34 yards. Let's just say we got acquainted more than we wanted to.

    Why all this?   There's really good prospects all over this country that aren't on national television every week.  These are the gems in rounds 5-7 that award the teams that put in the research and the GMs that trust that research.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @flugel said:

    Last year at this time, BYU had a WR entering the draft that was 6-1 208lbs and not very well known by NFL Draft enthusiasts.  His name is Puka Nacua and he was selected by the Rams in the 5th round (as their last of 4 picks in that round).  More specifically, he became their 8th pick.  Here's a written summary of the selection: Non-stop motor and aggressive attitude helped Nacua overachieve for the Cougars... Good hands and body control... Can be dangerous on reverses and sweeps... Not a deep threat... Will make it difficult for the Rams to cut him, but he's not a game-breaker...

    In 2023, this rookie had 105 receptions 1486 yards 6 TDs 14.2 yards per catch.   Against the Browns he had 4 rec 105 yard 1 TD 26.3 ypc and 2 carries for 34 yards. Let's just say we got acquainted more than we wanted to.

    Why all this?   There's really good prospects all over this country that aren't on national television every week.  These are the gems in rounds 5-7 that award the teams that put in the research and the GMs that trust that research.

    Ainias Smith   LOL!

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Now where is cal to defend this guy? After all we had videos of a drunk Baker Mayfield with cops before we drafted him.

    Could you imagine the outrage from a certain corner of this message board if say Lamar Jackson had done something like that?

    THE OUTRAGE! ?

    (The absolute best part of that incident is a guy drafted #1 in the NFL could not outrun a cop. Comedy gold, right there.) 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @dutch-oven said:

    (The absolute best part of that incident is a guy drafted #1 in the NFL could not outrun a cop. Comedy gold, right there.) 

    And yet he made the decision to try and run for the 1st down instead of simply tossing it to a wide open Demetric Felton standing just beyond the sticks at the sideline...while trailing in the 4th qtr of a late season game.  We had to punt.  We lost the game and wound up missing the playoffs.  He looked right at wide open Felton...and decided to outrun guys that are much faster than cops.   That pissed me off.  From that point on I no longer felt that he was the QB that we needed....but that we'd be stuck with him.  And this is why I've never been able to bash Haslem, Berry, DePo and/or Stef for the trade for Watson because some, or all of them, must have felt the same way that I did.  I'll sometimes bash the fact that we spent all of the draft picks and $$ for something that we've really got virtually nothing out of so far...but I can't bash them for doing what they did.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    (The absolute best part of that incident is a guy drafted #1 in the NFL could not outrun a cop. Comedy gold, right there.) 

    And yet he made the decision to try and run for the 1st down instead of simply tossing it to a wide open Demetric Felton standing just beyond the sticks at the sideline...while trailing in the 4th qtr of a late season game.  We had to punt.  We lost the game and wound up missing the playoffs.  He looked right at wide open Felton...and decided to outrun guys that are much faster than cops.   That pissed me off.  From that point on I no longer felt that he was the QB that we needed....but that we'd be stuck with him.  And this is why I've never been able to bash Haslem, Berry, DePo and/or Stef for the trade for Watson because some, or all of them, must have felt the same way that I did.  I'll sometimes bash the fact that we spent all of the draft picks and $$ for something that we've really got virtually nothing out of so far...but I can't bash them for doing what they did.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @orion said:

    And yet he made the decision to try and run for the 1st down instead of simply tossing it to a wide open Demetric Felton standing just beyond the sticks at the sideline...while trailing in the 4th qtr of a late season game.  We had to punt.  We lost the game and wound up missing the playoffs.  He looked right at wide open Felton...and decided to outrun guys that are much faster than cops.   That pissed me off.  From that point on I no longer felt that he was the QB that we needed....but that we'd be stuck with him.  And this is why I've never been able to bash Haslem, Berry, DePo and/or Stef for the trade for Watson because some, or all of them, must have felt the same way that I did.  I'll sometimes bash the fact that we spent all of the draft picks and $$ for something that we've really got virtually nothing out of so far...but I can't bash them for doing what they did.

    ? For the part in bold.  I remember Mudfly stopped in right after the trade to remind us that outside of Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward, this franchise has been best known for messing up 1st round picks.  It was 10 years between selecting Joe Thomas and Myles Garrett/David Njoku (who took a while to meet expectations). 

    When Watson plays like the National Champion QB who buried Ohio State and Alabama (loaded w/ 1st and 2nd round prospects on their defenses); and the Pro Bowl QB he was in Houston for 2 years - very few will worry about what the Browns gave up.

  • @orion said:

    And yet he made the decision to try and run for the 1st down instead of simply tossing it to a wide open Demetric Felton standing just beyond the sticks at the sideline...while trailing in the 4th qtr of a late season game.  We had to punt.  We lost the game and wound up missing the playoffs.  He looked right at wide open Felton...and decided to outrun guys that are much faster than cops.   That pissed me off.  From that point on I no longer felt that he was the QB that we needed....but that we'd be stuck with him.  And this is why I've never been able to bash Haslem, Berry, DePo and/or Stef for the trade for Watson because some, or all of them, must have felt the same way that I did.  I'll sometimes bash the fact that we spent all of the draft picks and $$ for something that we've really got virtually nothing out of so far...but I can't bash them for doing what they did.

    ? For the part in bold.  I remember Mudfly stopped in right after the trade to remind us that outside of Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward, this franchise has been best known for messing up 1st round picks.  It was 10 years between selecting Joe Thomas and Myles Garrett/David Njoku (who took a while to meet expectations). 

    When Watson plays like the National Champion QB who buried Ohio State and Alabama (loaded w/ 1st and 2nd round prospects on their defenses); and the Pro Bowl QB he was in Houston for 2 years - very few will worry about what the Browns gave up.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @flugel said:

    When Watson plays like the National Champion QB

    Yeah, but it's been so long that I think that the When has become If.

  • @flugel said:

    When Watson plays like the National Champion QB

    Yeah, but it's been so long that I think that the When has become If.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @orion said:

    Yeah, but it's been so long that I think that the When has become If.

    I hear ya; but he made 2 Pro Bowls in his 2nd and 3rd seasons. His 4th year in Houston they started purging their roster; but he had the highest passer ratings of his career in spite of it. Some of this is on the coaching staff to know why they wanted him and how they were going to use him. Being suspended 11 games in 2022 didn't help after not playing all of 2021.  Our fans don't want to hear the excuses I just gave; and rightfully so. My question to myself here - does this type of talent heading into the prime of his career just wake up 1 day with a Charlie Frye skill-set at age 28?  No.  

    2021    Didn't play

    2020   70.2 comp% 4,823 yards 33 TD 7 INT  112.4 rating

    2019   67.3 comp% 3,852 yards 26 TD 12 INT  98.0 rating  Pro Bowl

    2018   68.3 comp% 4,165 yards 26 TD 9 INT  103.1 rating  Pro Bowl

    2017   61.8 comp% 1,699 yards 19 TD 8 INT  103.0 rating

    This is how he compared in his last year with the rest of the QBs in 2020.  

    PASSING YDS
    1
     
    Deshaun Watson
    Deshaun WatsonHOU
    4,823
    4,740
    3
     
    Tom Brady
    Tom BradyTB
    4,633
    4
     
    Matt Ryan
    Matt RyanATL
    4,581
    5
     
    Josh Allen
    Josh AllenBUF
    4,544
  • @flugel said:

    When Watson plays like the National Champion QB

    Yeah, but it's been so long that I think that the When has become If.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @orion said:

    Yeah, but it's been so long that I think that the When has become If.

    That's an absolute fair statement. 

    I have serious doubts that we will ever see the 2018-20 Watson. 

    He now has to overcome a shoulder injury to his throwing arm, all the noise he hears from his off-the-field allegations, and a questionable fit with Kevin Stefanski. 

    I wouldn't bet on it. I hope I'm wrong. 

  • @orion said:

    Yeah, but it's been so long that I think that the When has become If.

    I hear ya; but he made 2 Pro Bowls in his 2nd and 3rd seasons. His 4th year in Houston they started purging their roster; but he had the highest passer ratings of his career in spite of it. Some of this is on the coaching staff to know why they wanted him and how they were going to use him. Being suspended 11 games in 2022 didn't help after not playing all of 2021.  Our fans don't want to hear the excuses I just gave; and rightfully so. My question to myself here - does this type of talent heading into the prime of his career just wake up 1 day with a Charlie Frye skill-set at age 28?  No.  

    2021    Didn't play

    2020   70.2 comp% 4,823 yards 33 TD 7 INT  112.4 rating

    2019   67.3 comp% 3,852 yards 26 TD 12 INT  98.0 rating  Pro Bowl

    2018   68.3 comp% 4,165 yards 26 TD 9 INT  103.1 rating  Pro Bowl

    2017   61.8 comp% 1,699 yards 19 TD 8 INT  103.0 rating

    This is how he compared in his last year with the rest of the QBs in 2020.  

    PASSING YDS
    1
     
    Deshaun Watson
    Deshaun WatsonHOU
    4,823
    4,740
    3
     
    Tom Brady
    Tom BradyTB
    4,633
    4
     
    Matt Ryan
    Matt RyanATL
    4,581
    5
     
    Josh Allen
    Josh AllenBUF
    4,544
    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #40

    @flugel said:

    does this type of talent heading into the prime of his career just wake up 1 day with a Charlie Frye skill-set

    That's more or less the 64k question.  (the 'less' being that we don't think he'd be Charlie Frye bad)  But there does exist the possibility that all of the missed time and all of the pressure to perform up to the standard of a 3 first round pick traded player...negativity towards him from part of the Browns fan base...lingering legal issues, etc. might weigh on him to the extant that he never returns to his previous level of play.   I wouldn't bet $ either way.  

  • @neo said:

    There was a time where I actually did follow the draft and prospects. I don't know anything about the players in this years draft. I would imagine they will address the O-line and possibly linebacker.  Seems like we addressed RB and WR pretty well in FA. I would bring in another CB to develope as insurance for Ward or Newsome.

    If you're old school like some of us - go buy a draft Magazine and it'll get you up to speed with the names, positions and rankings within the position groups.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @flugel said:

    If you're old school like some of us - go buy a draft Magazine and it'll get you up to speed with the names, positions and rankings within the position groups.

    I did at one point, at least until they started to cost $18.  It not that $18 is prohibitive, it's just that it doesn't matter all that much.  It's not like I seek to be a Jr. Mel or something.

  • @flugel said:

    If you're old school like some of us - go buy a draft Magazine and it'll get you up to speed with the names, positions and rankings within the position groups.

    I did at one point, at least until they started to cost $18.  It not that $18 is prohibitive, it's just that it doesn't matter all that much.  It's not like I seek to be a Jr. Mel or something.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @ballpeen said:

    I did at one point, at least until they started to cost $18.  It not that $18 is prohibitive, it's just that it doesn't matter all that much.  It's not like I seek to be a Jr. Mel or something.

    Understood. I need my day job so I don't buy the magazine/guide to try to be like Mel Kiper Jr; and I hope no one else does either.  It's more of a last minute Cliffs Notes summary of research and rankings of guys at all positions - many that weren't televised in the region I live in very often. For example, a guy like BYU WR Puka Nacua last year or Brock Purdy (Mr Irrelevant) in 2022.  Most of the guys we've heard/seen a lot about are often drafted within the 1st 2-3 rounds of a 7 round draft.  On the 3rd day of the draft when it starts moving faster - names of selections appear and sometimes you don't even see their quick highlights until 10-15 minutes later.  That's when I'm really happy to have the resource to look up the guy the Browns picked.

    As for the price, they stamp those prices right on the bar card on the bottom left corner of the magazine cover. And if they're going to over-charge a consumer - you're the guy I'd hand select to argue that all the way down to a discount Ballpeen.

    Lindy's Sports Pro Football Mag was only $10.99 so I drank less beer that weekend.  Unfortunately, that still didn't help me find the 6 pack in my mid-section.  Should I put that on a milk carton?  "Has anyone seen Pus-Gut Flugel's Abs since 1982? Okay, did anyone ever see them before that?"  

    Athlon Sports NFL Draft was a little more at $12.99. 

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #43

    returning to slick Flug's 54th pick choices ?

    1.) Being AB's choice..

    It'd take a 22 y.o 4.3 speed WR to fall on pick #54? Still feels like Berry trades back. Berry's guardrails would put the younger LB Junior Colson ahead of my choice of local LB Payton Wilson. My believe is Colson won't get to #54 but, Payton Wilson may with injury testing/draft age..

    Give me.. LB Payton Wilson at pick #54.. @flugel Morning Pancake special (cameraman sucks) .. My spelling test, calls him A-meg ! Stinging Bee-hive T, is raw enough to be the Browns/my 85th pick..

    Meet playing angry, till whistle Jed Wills

  • @ballpeen said:

    I did at one point, at least until they started to cost $18.  It not that $18 is prohibitive, it's just that it doesn't matter all that much.  It's not like I seek to be a Jr. Mel or something.

    Understood. I need my day job so I don't buy the magazine/guide to try to be like Mel Kiper Jr; and I hope no one else does either.  It's more of a last minute Cliffs Notes summary of research and rankings of guys at all positions - many that weren't televised in the region I live in very often. For example, a guy like BYU WR Puka Nacua last year or Brock Purdy (Mr Irrelevant) in 2022.  Most of the guys we've heard/seen a lot about are often drafted within the 1st 2-3 rounds of a 7 round draft.  On the 3rd day of the draft when it starts moving faster - names of selections appear and sometimes you don't even see their quick highlights until 10-15 minutes later.  That's when I'm really happy to have the resource to look up the guy the Browns picked.

    As for the price, they stamp those prices right on the bar card on the bottom left corner of the magazine cover. And if they're going to over-charge a consumer - you're the guy I'd hand select to argue that all the way down to a discount Ballpeen.

    Lindy's Sports Pro Football Mag was only $10.99 so I drank less beer that weekend.  Unfortunately, that still didn't help me find the 6 pack in my mid-section.  Should I put that on a milk carton?  "Has anyone seen Pus-Gut Flugel's Abs since 1982? Okay, did anyone ever see them before that?"  

    Athlon Sports NFL Draft was a little more at $12.99. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @flugel said:

    Understood. I need my day job so I don't buy the magazine/guide to try to be like Mel Kiper Jr; and I hope no one else does either.  It's more of a last minute Cliffs Notes summary of research and rankings of guys at all positions - many that weren't televised in the region I live in very often. For example, a guy like BYU WR Puka Nacua last year or Brock Purdy (Mr Irrelevant) in 2022.  Most of the guys we've heard/seen a lot about are often drafted within the 1st 2-3 rounds of a 7 round draft.  On the 3rd day of the draft when it starts moving faster - names of selections appear and sometimes you don't even see their quick highlights until 10-15 minutes later.  That's when I'm really happy to have the resource to look up the guy the Browns picked.

    As for the price, they stamp those prices right on the bar card on the bottom left corner of the magazine cover. And if they're going to over-charge a consumer - you're the guy I'd hand select to argue that all the way down to a discount Ballpeen.

    Lindy's Sports Pro Football Mag was only $10.99 so I drank less beer that weekend.  Unfortunately, that still didn't help me find the 6 pack in my mid-section.  Should I put that on a milk carton?  "Has anyone seen Pus-Gut Flugel's Abs since 1982? Okay, did anyone ever see them before that?"  

    Athlon Sports NFL Draft was a little more at $12.99. 

    Don't get me wrong.  I don't care if some like that.  I wasn't trying to insult those who do.  I was just speaking for myself.  You are probably right on cost.  I haven't bought a draft guide in a long time.  The net overloads me with that information.  II was thinking of fantasy draft guides. Those seem to run in the $17 range.

    Also, the draft is only interesting when your team sucks or you are actually in the draft and you are 4-5 picks away from your pick.  When you pick 4th, draft forums are non stop because it is pretty easy to cross off 2-3 players from a draft board and start to discuss players who you actually have a shot at drafting.  When  you are picking in the 2nd round, it's futile to try to pinpoint guys we might draft.. 

    Not until the 1st round is over  will it be possible to even have a fair shot of picking our guy.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #45

    Its funny, but we all miss having a first round pick when it comes to draft talk, and the general lack of draft talk the last three years kind of confirms this.

    But the few times we had the #1 overall pick kind of lacked a certain sex-appeal to when it was obvious who we were taking, like Myles. (But not the year we took Baker, that draft lead-up was bananas on here. Every day, calfox trying to outdo himself in being a whiny bitch. It was almost impressive. ?)