Skip to content

Press Release from the Cleveland Browns

The Browns Board
32 10 1.4k
  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    I know it's a bit apples to oranges, but I recently went to a Falcons game at their new stadium. They clearly made it to be more an "experience" than just going to throw back some beers and watch football, and it was very enjoyable. Things to do for kids, fun outdoor activities (not just sitting at your trunk with beers), etc etc.

    I get it- I fondly remember about 15 years ago of going to Carolina Panthers game with my brother and just pregaming out of the car, cooking up hot dogs, etc. But with the cost to do anything nowadays (and of course having two kids), I want to feel like the experience is worth it and get that "bang for your buck". As much as its a mixed bag, I think this whole thing makes a lot of sense. Hell, I will 100x more inclined to travel to a few games as opposed to the current stadium situation.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I go to Guardians and Browns games on a somewhat regular basis

    I'd 'assume' (since I don't 'know') that larger crowds of Browns games would make for longer exit times.  

    ...another good thing of The Patriots Train, it pulls away from the stadium 30 min after the game ends.  No train traffic. 🙂 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @orion said:

    I'd 'assume' (since I don't 'know') that larger crowds of Browns games would make for longer exit times.  

    ...another good thing of The Patriots Train, it pulls away from the stadium 30 min after the game ends.  No train traffic. 🙂 

    I mentioned going to Browns games.

    And we park halfway between Progressive Field and Browns Stadium. It's not that all that horrible to get out of town after the game. 

    Honestly, Brookpark is what the Haslams want, and I feel like throwing a billion dollars at a quickly and relatively cheaply built Cleveland Browns Stadium would end up being a really questionable fiscal decision. I'd rather the Browns built a dome in downtown, but that isn't going to happen either.

    One way or another, this whole process should be interesting to watch go down. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #24

    Very interesting video, and I've been saying what the guys on here are saying - the Browns were never staying downtown. They'll play the game with the City of Cleveland for leverage, but a Jimmy World 2.0 has always been what the Haslams have wanted, and you can't do that in a landlocked downtown. 

    Also, almost in passing, they mentioned the Guardians new minority owner (who eventually could/will end up being the majority owner) who is rumored to have big plans around Progressive Field. There's a chance that the area around the ballpark could look very different in a decade, since he bought up a good portion of it. "Ballpark Villages" are the rage with pro owners. 

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #25

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Anything about the cap wall we are pinned against?

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Thanks for the offer, but

    Yup.  Saw this elsewhere earlier today.  The back-burner stadium saga continues.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @orion said:

    The back-burner stadium saga continues.

    Apparently the heat was set to high on that back burner.  

    A little bit ago someone here (Dutch?) mentioned that if a new stadium was going to be built (in or out of the city) then it's actually time to be starting the process.  

    I saw where there's a train station / stop right at that spot on a map.  Handy.

    I think it'll be better for the football team in terms of players' willingness to come to the Browns.  No more playing in cold, wet and/or freezing conditions.  That's what matters to me...since I live far away the other events that could be held there are meaningless.  

  • @orion said:

    The back-burner stadium saga continues.

    Apparently the heat was set to high on that back burner.  

    A little bit ago someone here (Dutch?) mentioned that if a new stadium was going to be built (in or out of the city) then it's actually time to be starting the process.  

    I saw where there's a train station / stop right at that spot on a map.  Handy.

    I think it'll be better for the football team in terms of players' willingness to come to the Browns.  No more playing in cold, wet and/or freezing conditions.  That's what matters to me...since I live far away the other events that could be held there are meaningless.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @orion said:

    Apparently the heat was set to high on that back burner.  

    A little bit ago someone here (Dutch?) mentioned that if a new stadium was going to be built (in or out of the city) then it's actually time to be starting the process.  

    I saw where there's a train station / stop right at that spot on a map.  Handy.

    I think it'll be better for the football team in terms of players' willingness to come to the Browns.  No more playing in cold, wet and/or freezing conditions.  That's what matters to me...since I live far away the other events that could be held there are meaningless.  

    In the video I or syd posted (I watched both, can't remember which one) it is mentioned that ground could be broke next year, which I think would put the first season at 2028. 

    I think you are right, I think having a dome would help some in getting free agents. Regarding "the other events", it will be interesting to see how the area would be built up. I'm guessing you've never been to that area, but it's not exactly "happening". Think a beat-up four lane road with porn shops and fast food places. 

    I'm looking forward to some real honest-to-dog drawings of what this dome and area would look like. I'm also interested in seeing how this affects the other two relatively close NFL teams - the Steelers and Bengals. I have a feeling if the Browns end up with this state-of-the-art new dome surrounded by a "ballpark village", those teams are going to look at their 20+ year old stadiums and start telling everyone how "antiquated" they are too. 

  • @orion said:

    Apparently the heat was set to high on that back burner.  

    A little bit ago someone here (Dutch?) mentioned that if a new stadium was going to be built (in or out of the city) then it's actually time to be starting the process.  

    I saw where there's a train station / stop right at that spot on a map.  Handy.

    I think it'll be better for the football team in terms of players' willingness to come to the Browns.  No more playing in cold, wet and/or freezing conditions.  That's what matters to me...since I live far away the other events that could be held there are meaningless.  

    In the video I or syd posted (I watched both, can't remember which one) it is mentioned that ground could be broke next year, which I think would put the first season at 2028. 

    I think you are right, I think having a dome would help some in getting free agents. Regarding "the other events", it will be interesting to see how the area would be built up. I'm guessing you've never been to that area, but it's not exactly "happening". Think a beat-up four lane road with porn shops and fast food places. 

    I'm looking forward to some real honest-to-dog drawings of what this dome and area would look like. I'm also interested in seeing how this affects the other two relatively close NFL teams - the Steelers and Bengals. I have a feeling if the Browns end up with this state-of-the-art new dome surrounded by a "ballpark village", those teams are going to look at their 20+ year old stadiums and start telling everyone how "antiquated" they are too. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @dutch-oven said:

    it will be interesting to see how the area would be built up. I'm guessing you've never been to that area, but it's not exactly "happening". Think a beat-up four lane road with porn shops and fast food places. 

    The truck stops that Jimmuh's Dad and he took over went from dumpy dives to Truck Stop Villa's.  Foxborough is a no place type of place....except now there's Patriot's Place.  It's an attraction on it's own....and ya don't have to fight your way into Boston to go there...people go there just for the sake of going there.  Now, if the Pat's turn into mush...and aren't too good for a bunch of years...I don't know how many will be attracted to Patriot's Place.  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    it will be interesting to see how the area would be built up. I'm guessing you've never been to that area, but it's not exactly "happening". Think a beat-up four lane road with porn shops and fast food places. 

    The truck stops that Jimmuh's Dad and he took over went from dumpy dives to Truck Stop Villa's.  Foxborough is a no place type of place....except now there's Patriot's Place.  It's an attraction on it's own....and ya don't have to fight your way into Boston to go there...people go there just for the sake of going there.  Now, if the Pat's turn into mush...and aren't too good for a bunch of years...I don't know how many will be attracted to Patriot's Place.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @orion said:

    The truck stops that Jimmuh's Dad and he took over went from dumpy dives to Truck Stop Villa's.  Foxborough is a no place type of place....except now there's Patriot's Place.  It's an attraction on it's own....and ya don't have to fight your way into Boston to go there...people go there just for the sake of going there.  Now, if the Pat's turn into mush...and aren't too good for a bunch of years...I don't know how many will be attracted to Patriot's Place.  

    You've mentioned how tough it is to drive in Boston and why Patriots Place in the suburbs is nice multiple times.

    Driving in Cleveland isn't anything like Boston though. It generally isn't a huge ordeal. 

    But hey, different strokes, different folks. 

  • @orion said:

    The truck stops that Jimmuh's Dad and he took over went from dumpy dives to Truck Stop Villa's.  Foxborough is a no place type of place....except now there's Patriot's Place.  It's an attraction on it's own....and ya don't have to fight your way into Boston to go there...people go there just for the sake of going there.  Now, if the Pat's turn into mush...and aren't too good for a bunch of years...I don't know how many will be attracted to Patriot's Place.  

    You've mentioned how tough it is to drive in Boston and why Patriots Place in the suburbs is nice multiple times.

    Driving in Cleveland isn't anything like Boston though. It generally isn't a huge ordeal. 

    But hey, different strokes, different folks. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @dutch-oven said:

    Driving in Cleveland isn't anything like Boston though. It generally isn't a huge ordeal. 

    I'm certain you're right.  I shouldn't be comparing Boston...but then, I don't even like going into Providence...and it's only 4 miles from me.  🙂  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    it will be interesting to see how the area would be built up. I'm guessing you've never been to that area, but it's not exactly "happening". Think a beat-up four lane road with porn shops and fast food places. 

    The truck stops that Jimmuh's Dad and he took over went from dumpy dives to Truck Stop Villa's.  Foxborough is a no place type of place....except now there's Patriot's Place.  It's an attraction on it's own....and ya don't have to fight your way into Boston to go there...people go there just for the sake of going there.  Now, if the Pat's turn into mush...and aren't too good for a bunch of years...I don't know how many will be attracted to Patriot's Place.  

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @orion said:

    The truck stops that Jimmuh's Dad and he took over went from dumpy dives to Truck Stop Villa's.  Foxborough is a no place type of place....except now there's Patriot's Place.  It's an attraction on it's own....and ya don't have to fight your way into Boston to go there...people go there just for the sake of going there.  Now, if the Pat's turn into mush...and aren't too good for a bunch of years...I don't know how many will be attracted to Patriot's Place.  

    Yep, and there is some decent money on that side of town.  It will draw in people who have some money to spend.

    It there was a place downtown to buiod, they probably would have.  The problem was there isn't.  The only places they could go would have been the fringes of the city on the east side and that isn't the target audience.  Money is limited and crime is a problem.