Browns Have #2 Overall Draft Pick
-
Aside from that, my guess is Garrett will continue to line up over LTs while the other Edge Rusher/DE/LBer would line up across from run blocking RTs. IMO, this makes Jack Sawyer a better fit at 33 overall. I also think we need to know a lot more about the shoulder injury Carter has. For his sake, I hope it's not anything that will stay with him.
You might be shocked at the amount of times Myles flips sides by the numbers. I know I was. That doesn't appear to be much of an area he and Schwartz have an issue being flexible in.
I love me some captain Jack, but I have questions about his skills translating to the NFL as a top 50 pick.
You might be shocked at the amount of times Myles flips sides by the numbers. I know I was. That doesn't appear to be much of an area he and Schwartz have an issue being flexible in.
I love me some captain Jack, but I have questions about his skills translating to the NFL as a top 50 pick.
Are you discounting his blue-collar work ethic, high intelligence and high character? ?
-
As much as I enjoy theorizing about Madden-esque trading down, isnt Hunter the obvious choice? Generational two-way talent, that fulfills needs at both sides of the ball. I think most agree that you don't solve our QB situation with this years' draft. Sign Cousins, or get Flacco backo as a placeholder.
A good deal of our formerly vaunted O-line is old and in decline, so investing a deal bit of our other draft assets on overhauling that seems like a good investment.
As much as I enjoy theorizing about Madden-esque trading down, isnt Hunter the obvious choice? Generational two-way talent, that fulfills needs at both sides of the ball. I think most agree that you don't solve our QB situation with this years' draft. Sign Cousins, or get Flacco backo as a placeholder.
A good deal of our formerly vaunted O-line is old and in decline, so investing a deal bit of our other draft assets on overhauling that seems like a good investment.
Hunter is amazing - he'd be a great pick. With this qb class, don't be surprised if Hunter goes #1. He's that special, and this qb class isn't.
A trade down still seems likely to me.
-
As much as I enjoy theorizing about Madden-esque trading down, isnt Hunter the obvious choice? Generational two-way talent, that fulfills needs at both sides of the ball. I think most agree that you don't solve our QB situation with this years' draft. Sign Cousins, or get Flacco backo as a placeholder.
A good deal of our formerly vaunted O-line is old and in decline, so investing a deal bit of our other draft assets on overhauling that seems like a good investment.
Hunter is amazing - he'd be a great pick. With this qb class, don't be surprised if Hunter goes #1. He's that special, and this qb class isn't.
A trade down still seems likely to me.
Hunter is amazing - he'd be a great pick. With this qb class, don't be surprised if Hunter goes #1. He's that special, and this qb class isn't.
A trade down still seems likely to me.
I think unless you trade down to #3 for a QB needy NY Giants, we'd better take him right where we are. He won't stay past #3 IMO.
-
-
As much as I enjoy theorizing about Madden-esque trading down, isnt Hunter the obvious choice? Generational two-way talent, that fulfills needs at both sides of the ball. I think most agree that you don't solve our QB situation with this years' draft. Sign Cousins, or get Flacco backo as a placeholder.
A good deal of our formerly vaunted O-line is old and in decline, so investing a deal bit of our other draft assets on overhauling that seems like a good investment.
If a team needs a great corner? Check
If a team needs speed and a scoring threat on the perimeter of their offense? Check
And YES, he'd play both. It's not like he'd play every down on both units; but the roles fitting situations would be significant. The game vrs the Chargers showed the Browns could relentlessly pressure the passer while their corners could mess up the wet dream. Right now that secondary has forfeit written all over it.
On offense? Do you want a veteran QB interested in coming here? He's going to need some toys that put points on the board and improve matchup dynamics. Knowing the Browns are drafting at #2 after a QB most likely goes 1st - he'd help that!
Filling 2 needs with only 1 draft pick is something to consider. If we're gonna go with let the draft fall to you - I wouldn't HATE this choice at all. We have so many needs on this team we follow.
I'm glad to see LT/OT is one of the areas this draft is supposed to be strong at in a year QB is not (meaning mid-round might be advisable for smart shoppers). Monkey wrench: is Jimmy a smart shopper when it comes to QB?
And YES, he'd play both. It's not like he'd play every down on both units; but the roles fitting situations would be significant.
This just sounds so sexy to me. In games where we need weapons on offense, he'd (potentially) be an asset as #2 wide, or in the slot. We already have a lockdown corner in Ward, when he is on the field. We also know he is not gonna be on the field regularly. Enter Hunter. That kind of Swiss army knife ability is unheard of in today's game.
He definitely fills a need at corner, I have my doubts how much he'll be used at WR too in the NFL honestly. I know he's listed at 6'1 and 185lbs, but he is kind of a thin guy. That or maybe I doubt the Browns could actually figure out how to pull it off...
I wouldn't have a problem with the Browns taking Hunter at #2 at all, but I'd probably still go with Carter to give Myles an honest to dog bookend DE with pass rushing ability for once. I'd be fine with trading down out of #2 and taking CB Will Johnson too, and getting more draft capital for next year's (hopefully) better QB class.
To give some perspective: you will find me advocating for a tear down if the DW swing for the fences goes awry, which it has. I still wouldn't have any problem with that, and trade our biggest assets for an insane haul of picks. That would include this year's #2.
That not being the case, as it seems, Hunter ticks a lot of boxes on both sides. He's Moneyball without rolling the dice. Easy high value pick.
-
As much as I enjoy theorizing about Madden-esque trading down, isnt Hunter the obvious choice? Generational two-way talent, that fulfills needs at both sides of the ball. I think most agree that you don't solve our QB situation with this years' draft. Sign Cousins, or get Flacco backo as a placeholder.
A good deal of our formerly vaunted O-line is old and in decline, so investing a deal bit of our other draft assets on overhauling that seems like a good investment.
He definitely fills a need at corner, I have my doubts how much he'll be used at WR too in the NFL honestly. I know he's listed at 6'1 and 185lbs, but he is kind of a thin guy. That or maybe I doubt the Browns could actually figure out how to pull it off...
I wouldn't have a problem with the Browns taking Hunter at #2 at all, but I'd probably still go with Carter to give Myles an honest to dog bookend DE with pass rushing ability for once. I'd be fine with trading down out of #2 and taking CB Will Johnson too, and getting more draft capital for next year's (hopefully) better QB class.
I wouldn't have a problem with the Browns taking Hunter at #2 at all, but I'd probably still go with Carter to give Myles an honest to dog bookend DE with pass rushing ability for once.
DB's can only cover receivers for so long. Rushing the QB makes your DB's seem better.
-
Mel Kiper projects blue chip player to land with Browns in NFL draft
...so who does he predict for us at this point?
-
And YES, he'd play both. It's not like he'd play every down on both units; but the roles fitting situations would be significant.
This just sounds so sexy to me. In games where we need weapons on offense, he'd (potentially) be an asset as #2 wide, or in the slot. We already have a lockdown corner in Ward, when he is on the field. We also know he is not gonna be on the field regularly. Enter Hunter. That kind of Swiss army knife ability is unheard of in today's game.
He definitely fills a need at corner, I have my doubts how much he'll be used at WR too in the NFL honestly. I know he's listed at 6'1 and 185lbs, but he is kind of a thin guy. That or maybe I doubt the Browns could actually figure out how to pull it off...
I wouldn't have a problem with the Browns taking Hunter at #2 at all, but I'd probably still go with Carter to give Myles an honest to dog bookend DE with pass rushing ability for once. I'd be fine with trading down out of #2 and taking CB Will Johnson too, and getting more draft capital for next year's (hopefully) better QB class.
To give some perspective: you will find me advocating for a tear down if the DW swing for the fences goes awry, which it has. I still wouldn't have any problem with that, and trade our biggest assets for an insane haul of picks. That would include this year's #2.
That not being the case, as it seems, Hunter ticks a lot of boxes on both sides. He's Moneyball without rolling the dice. Easy high value pick.
This just sounds so sexy to me. In games where we need weapons on offense, he'd (potentially) be an asset as #2 wide, or in the slot. We already have a lockdown corner in Ward, when he is on the field. We also know he is not gonna be on the field regularly. Enter Hunter. That kind of Swiss army knife ability is unheard of in today's game.
To give some perspective: you will find me advocating for a tear down if the DW swing for the fences goes awry, which it has. I still wouldn't have any problem with that, and trade our biggest assets for an insane haul of picks. That would include this year's #2.
That not being the case, as it seems, Hunter ticks a lot of boxes on both sides. He's Moneyball without rolling the dice. Easy high value pick.
This is my thinking, if he’s there at 2 you take the “generational talent”, kinda like the Myles Garrett draft.
My guess is they’d only want him on offense or defense at the start. That’s gotta be a tough gig to learn both the offense and defensive playbooks as a rookie so they’ll likely have him focus on one or the other, and depending on how that goes he might get some Swiss army opportunities.
-
If there's one OSU player I could veto it'd be Sawyer
-
This just sounds so sexy to me. In games where we need weapons on offense, he'd (potentially) be an asset as #2 wide, or in the slot. We already have a lockdown corner in Ward, when he is on the field. We also know he is not gonna be on the field regularly. Enter Hunter. That kind of Swiss army knife ability is unheard of in today's game.
To give some perspective: you will find me advocating for a tear down if the DW swing for the fences goes awry, which it has. I still wouldn't have any problem with that, and trade our biggest assets for an insane haul of picks. That would include this year's #2.
That not being the case, as it seems, Hunter ticks a lot of boxes on both sides. He's Moneyball without rolling the dice. Easy high value pick.
This is my thinking, if he’s there at 2 you take the “generational talent”, kinda like the Myles Garrett draft.
My guess is they’d only want him on offense or defense at the start. That’s gotta be a tough gig to learn both the offense and defensive playbooks as a rookie so they’ll likely have him focus on one or the other, and depending on how that goes he might get some Swiss army opportunities.
This is my thinking, if he’s there at 2 you take the “generational talent”, kinda like the Myles Garrett draft.
My guess is they’d only want him on offense or defense at the start. That’s gotta be a tough gig to learn both the offense and defensive playbooks as a rookie so they’ll likely have him focus on one or the other, and depending on how that goes he might get some Swiss army opportunities.
BINGO on the 1st line above. The rest seems pretty sensible.
If we look at this team, before Cedric Tilman got a concussion that was so long it had tenure - he and Jerry Jeudy were looking like a very bright future for our young WR Corps. I'm still not all that warm and fuzzy with Eli Moore (and that's where I see some ideal opportunity for a situational role for Hunter to get his feet wet). Just give him a little bit at a time. He's probably going to be running a lot of the same routes he's run throughout most of his prior experience anyway - the only thing that may change is the language/terminology/number system.
Bigger need by a country mile or 2 is our situation with our two 1st round Corners. When Ward doesn't have a concussion or injury - he's as good as it gets. Greg Newsome is a bullseye for opposing passing games - a weakness that won't go away. This is where I see a bigger sudden impact for Hunter - replacing Newsome. Then Newsome can compete with his former Northwestern teammate Cam Mitchell for a reps against the slot receivers. If Ward gets injured we either move Newsome or Mitchell back to the opening -or- stick Emerson back out there putting his hands all over the WR like it's a naked and horny Carrie Underwood... Talk about "Jesus Take the Wheel."
-
If there's one OSU player I could veto it'd be Sawyer
At #2 overall? Even Ohio State fans that appreciate the guy big time don't want him that early. I could see him going somewhere in round 2. Even if he goes Mike Mamula on his 40 time that isn't getting him to #2. He'll probably fall to the Ratbirds somewhere sensible since Van Noy is heading into his mid 30s.
-
I wouldn't have a problem with the Browns taking Hunter at #2 at all, but I'd probably still go with Carter to give Myles an honest to dog bookend DE with pass rushing ability for once.
DB's can only cover receivers for so long. Rushing the QB makes your DB's seem better.
-
You might be shocked at the amount of times Myles flips sides by the numbers. I know I was. That doesn't appear to be much of an area he and Schwartz have an issue being flexible in.
I love me some captain Jack, but I have questions about his skills translating to the NFL as a top 50 pick.
Are you discounting his blue-collar work ethic, high intelligence and high character? ?
Are you discounting his blue-collar work ethic, high intelligence and high character? ?
Coaches son, lunch pail kind of guy. Quicker than he is fast.
At #2 overall? Even Ohio State fans that appreciate the guy big time don't want him that early. I could see him going somewhere in round 2. Even if he goes Mike Mamula on his 40 time that isn't getting him to #2. He'll probably fall to the Ratbirds somewhere sensible since Van Noy is heading into his mid 30s.
Van Noy isn't a bad comparison, actually. Up there with John Simon.
The Hunter talk is interesting. I remember Patrick Peterson being discussed as the NFLs next two way player, and he was every bit the athlete if not more-so. Eventually he settled in the position he will likely be a HoFer in - CB. Buffalo used Travis as a WR for two reasons, ability and need. It's not like their WR group had much depth. Of the top 3 pass catchers, one of them will be drafted, Travis, top 5-7 and nobody else. Those other 3 top WRs are seniors too.
It's a testament to the athlete and football player that Hunter is, something we all can appreciate. But the NFL is another monster entirely. He'll have to spend hundreds of hours grinding to further refine his speciality, that isn't including the 17+ game season that will now wear on his body.
Load management is crucial in football. This team isn't hurting so bad as to draft a WR top 5. A top 5 DB? That's possibly a different story.
-
Are you discounting his blue-collar work ethic, high intelligence and high character? ?
Coaches son, lunch pail kind of guy. Quicker than he is fast.
At #2 overall? Even Ohio State fans that appreciate the guy big time don't want him that early. I could see him going somewhere in round 2. Even if he goes Mike Mamula on his 40 time that isn't getting him to #2. He'll probably fall to the Ratbirds somewhere sensible since Van Noy is heading into his mid 30s.
Van Noy isn't a bad comparison, actually. Up there with John Simon.
The Hunter talk is interesting. I remember Patrick Peterson being discussed as the NFLs next two way player, and he was every bit the athlete if not more-so. Eventually he settled in the position he will likely be a HoFer in - CB. Buffalo used Travis as a WR for two reasons, ability and need. It's not like their WR group had much depth. Of the top 3 pass catchers, one of them will be drafted, Travis, top 5-7 and nobody else. Those other 3 top WRs are seniors too.
It's a testament to the athlete and football player that Hunter is, something we all can appreciate. But the NFL is another monster entirely. He'll have to spend hundreds of hours grinding to further refine his speciality, that isn't including the 17+ game season that will now wear on his body.
Load management is crucial in football. This team isn't hurting so bad as to draft a WR top 5. A top 5 DB? That's possibly a different story.
Coaches son, lunch pail kind of guy. Quicker than he is fast.
Van Noy isn't a bad comparison, actually. Up there with John Simon.
The Hunter talk is interesting. I remember Patrick Peterson being discussed as the NFLs next two way player, and he was every bit the athlete if not more-so. Eventually he settled in the position he will likely be a HoFer in - CB. Buffalo used Travis as a WR for two reasons, ability and need. It's not like their WR group had much depth. Of the top 3 pass catchers, one of them will be drafted, Travis, top 5-7 and nobody else. Those other 3 top WRs are seniors too.
It's a testament to the athlete and football player that Hunter is, something we all can appreciate. But the NFL is another monster entirely. He'll have to spend hundreds of hours grinding to further refine his speciality, that isn't including the 17+ game season that will now wear on his body.
Load management is crucial in football. This team isn't hurting so bad as to draft a WR top 5. A top 5 DB? That's possibly a different story.
Well said! I want him more as Corner first; and I think I might be a little over-ambitious in thinking he could evolve into splitting every other series with Eli Moore. I do think it would be fun and helpful to see him get a hand full of plays on the perimeter. BUT, your reminder that a 17 game season playing offense and defense would put a lot of wear and tear on this kid. Look what 17 games has already done with our injury volumes. And Goodell wants 18 games as soon as he can do it.
-
If there's one OSU player I could veto it'd be Sawyer
At #2 overall? Even Ohio State fans that appreciate the guy big time don't want him that early. I could see him going somewhere in round 2. Even if he goes Mike Mamula on his 40 time that isn't getting him to #2. He'll probably fall to the Ratbirds somewhere sensible since Van Noy is heading into his mid 30s.
At #2 overall? Even Ohio State fans that appreciate the guy big time don't want him that early. I could see him going somewhere in round 2. Even if he goes Mike Mamula on his 40 time that isn't getting him to #2. He'll probably fall to the Ratbirds somewhere sensible since Van Noy is heading into his mid 30s.
Oh God no. Not at 2. That would go beyond pandering.
I just don't think he's that good. Try hard, work ethic guy, sure. But not anything close to the second round.
-
At #2 overall? Even Ohio State fans that appreciate the guy big time don't want him that early. I could see him going somewhere in round 2. Even if he goes Mike Mamula on his 40 time that isn't getting him to #2. He'll probably fall to the Ratbirds somewhere sensible since Van Noy is heading into his mid 30s.
Oh God no. Not at 2. That would go beyond pandering.
I just don't think he's that good. Try hard, work ethic guy, sure. But not anything close to the second round.
Oh God no. Not at 2. That would go beyond pandering.
I just don't think he's that good. Try hard, work ethic guy, sure. But not anything close to the second round.
You're not the only one that seems to question his value or maybe his athleticism. That said, Sawyer was also recruited by multiple DI schools to play basketball. I remember back when JJ Watt was coming out in the draft and some people thought Robert Quinn would be better. Some knuckleheads that traded in their 4th box top of Captain Crunch cereal to be self proclaimed draft gurus said JJ didn't have Quinn's fast twitch. According to this video - not so fast.
Anyway, that strip sack Sawyer had against Texas that he recovered and returned 93 yards for a TD showed me a better athlete than some people want to credit him for being. The guy he faced that day Cameron Williams was a 4 star recruit that is also entering the draft.
My guess? The combines/personal workouts will probably tell us more about what round he goes in. A team like Baltimore didn't care how bad Orlando Brown Jr did - they drafted him where most other teams weren't even considering him. He started off playing RT and made the Pro Bowl as early as his second season. After success at RT he was moved to LT and made Pro Bowls in Baltimore and KC. Tristan Wirfs was another guy countless scouts said would never be a LT. Like, Orlando Brown he made the Pro Bowl at RT before making the switch to LT with the Pro Bowls continuing. Sometimes it all boils down to - can he play football? Film can be a very good indicator.
-
Oh God no. Not at 2. That would go beyond pandering.
I just don't think he's that good. Try hard, work ethic guy, sure. But not anything close to the second round.
You're not the only one that seems to question his value or maybe his athleticism. That said, Sawyer was also recruited by multiple DI schools to play basketball. I remember back when JJ Watt was coming out in the draft and some people thought Robert Quinn would be better. Some knuckleheads that traded in their 4th box top of Captain Crunch cereal to be self proclaimed draft gurus said JJ didn't have Quinn's fast twitch. According to this video - not so fast.
Anyway, that strip sack Sawyer had against Texas that he recovered and returned 93 yards for a TD showed me a better athlete than some people want to credit him for being. The guy he faced that day Cameron Williams was a 4 star recruit that is also entering the draft.
My guess? The combines/personal workouts will probably tell us more about what round he goes in. A team like Baltimore didn't care how bad Orlando Brown Jr did - they drafted him where most other teams weren't even considering him. He started off playing RT and made the Pro Bowl as early as his second season. After success at RT he was moved to LT and made Pro Bowls in Baltimore and KC. Tristan Wirfs was another guy countless scouts said would never be a LT. Like, Orlando Brown he made the Pro Bowl at RT before making the switch to LT with the Pro Bowls continuing. Sometimes it all boils down to - can he play football? Film can be a very good indicator.
You're not the only one that seems to question his value or maybe his athleticism. That said, Sawyer was also recruited by multiple DI schools to play basketball. I remember back when JJ Watt was coming out in the draft and some people thought Robert Quinn would be better. Some knuckleheads that traded in their 4th box top of Captain Crunch cereal to be self proclaimed draft gurus said JJ didn't have Quinn's fast twitch. According to this video - not so fast.
Anyway, that strip sack Sawyer had against Texas that he recovered and returned 93 yards for a TD showed me a better athlete than some people want to credit him for being. The guy he faced that day Cameron Williams was a 4 star recruit that is also entering the draft.
My guess? The combines/personal workouts will probably tell us more about what round he goes in. A team like Baltimore didn't care how bad Orlando Brown Jr did - they drafted him where most other teams weren't even considering him. He started off playing RT and made the Pro Bowl as early as his second season. After success at RT he was moved to LT and made Pro Bowls in Baltimore and KC. Tristan Wirfs was another guy countless scouts said would never be a LT. Like, Orlando Brown he made the Pro Bowl at RT before making the switch to LT with the Pro Bowls continuing. Sometimes it all boils down to - can he play football? Film can be a very good indicator.
Easy on that Wirfs one - I'm taking offense on behalf of myself AND our dearly departed Tour ?
-
If there’s one Buckeye l hope we could get it’s Emeka Egbuka. It doesn’t sound like he’ll make it to the second round though and #2 seems too early with our pressing needs. Still, he’d look good as a Brown.
-
You're not the only one that seems to question his value or maybe his athleticism. That said, Sawyer was also recruited by multiple DI schools to play basketball. I remember back when JJ Watt was coming out in the draft and some people thought Robert Quinn would be better. Some knuckleheads that traded in their 4th box top of Captain Crunch cereal to be self proclaimed draft gurus said JJ didn't have Quinn's fast twitch. According to this video - not so fast.
Anyway, that strip sack Sawyer had against Texas that he recovered and returned 93 yards for a TD showed me a better athlete than some people want to credit him for being. The guy he faced that day Cameron Williams was a 4 star recruit that is also entering the draft.
My guess? The combines/personal workouts will probably tell us more about what round he goes in. A team like Baltimore didn't care how bad Orlando Brown Jr did - they drafted him where most other teams weren't even considering him. He started off playing RT and made the Pro Bowl as early as his second season. After success at RT he was moved to LT and made Pro Bowls in Baltimore and KC. Tristan Wirfs was another guy countless scouts said would never be a LT. Like, Orlando Brown he made the Pro Bowl at RT before making the switch to LT with the Pro Bowls continuing. Sometimes it all boils down to - can he play football? Film can be a very good indicator.
Easy on that Wirfs one - I'm taking offense on behalf of myself AND our dearly departed Tour ?
Easy on that Wirfs one - I'm taking offense on behalf of myself AND our dearly departed Tour ?
? I didn't name anyone. Not that I had to balls to argue with anyone thinking that prior to hindsight 20/20. Since you fessed up - I owed you that much. If I spill any beer this weekend I'll know Tour wasn't happy with me either. Pre hindsight 20/20, I did think Wirfs would be an excellent RT though.
-
You're not the only one that seems to question his value or maybe his athleticism. That said, Sawyer was also recruited by multiple DI schools to play basketball. I remember back when JJ Watt was coming out in the draft and some people thought Robert Quinn would be better. Some knuckleheads that traded in their 4th box top of Captain Crunch cereal to be self proclaimed draft gurus said JJ didn't have Quinn's fast twitch. According to this video - not so fast.
Anyway, that strip sack Sawyer had against Texas that he recovered and returned 93 yards for a TD showed me a better athlete than some people want to credit him for being. The guy he faced that day Cameron Williams was a 4 star recruit that is also entering the draft.
My guess? The combines/personal workouts will probably tell us more about what round he goes in. A team like Baltimore didn't care how bad Orlando Brown Jr did - they drafted him where most other teams weren't even considering him. He started off playing RT and made the Pro Bowl as early as his second season. After success at RT he was moved to LT and made Pro Bowls in Baltimore and KC. Tristan Wirfs was another guy countless scouts said would never be a LT. Like, Orlando Brown he made the Pro Bowl at RT before making the switch to LT with the Pro Bowls continuing. Sometimes it all boils down to - can he play football? Film can be a very good indicator.
Easy on that Wirfs one - I'm taking offense on behalf of myself AND our dearly departed Tour ?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login