Skip to content

Russ Wilson Flying to Cleveland to meet with the Browns

The Browns Board
64 15 2.2k 1
  • @orion said:

    Actually, I would choose Sanders #1 overall....or at 2 if he's available.  But I'm pretty sure he's going #1 overall.  And you're afraid that DePodesta sees it that way too.  (trade up)

    Ward?  He could be good.  I see his style of throwing being loosely tied to Mahommes.  Sling it from anywhere, any position.  However, my confidants could persuade me from one side of the fence to the other   -  I like Sanders' respect for protecting possession of the ball and for willingness to work within the framework of the system.  And I'm betting that in his genes is enough athleticism to do what you need your QB to do in today's game.  That's purely from a football perspective.  Outside of that there's personality and family.  After all, we have had problems with a player's Dad before.  🙂 

    If the Browns think Sanders has “IT”.  You do whatever it takes to pick him including moving from 2 to 1.  That’s the strategy that I hope for next year if/when we don’t take a QB with that pick this season. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @sdbacker80 said:

    If the Browns think Sanders has “IT”.  You do whatever

    Keyword being IF...

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #32

    The more this thing goes, i am starting to lean towards taking Hunter in the 1st and maybe Milroe in the 2nd.

  • The more this thing goes, i am starting to lean towards taking Hunter in the 1st and maybe Milroe in the 2nd.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @ballpeen said:

    The more this thing goes, i am starting to lean towards taking Hunter in the 1st and maybe Milroe in the 2nd.

    Milroe? Do you think he's going to be ok in the pros? I'm not so sure.

  • @ballpeen said:

    The more this thing goes, i am starting to lean towards taking Hunter in the 1st and maybe Milroe in the 2nd.

    Milroe? Do you think he's going to be ok in the pros? I'm not so sure.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @bob806 said:

    Milroe? Do you think he's going to be ok in the pros? I'm not so sure.

    I am not so sure any QB is going to be all that good in the pro's.  I really want Dart, but to get him we will have to move up.  I mentioned Milrow simply because he is probably 4th on the list of draftable QB's.

    Let me rephrase. I lean towards taking Hunter then a QB who the Browns feel is the best available.  Insert any name that makes you happy.  I don't say that in a snippy way. I don't think any of the QB's are going to be great QB's but there are probably 5-6 who can become good QB's.

    As fans we all want the next HOF QB, but that doesn't happen all that often. A good QB is all that is needed to compete for championships if he is fitted with the right team and scheme.

    I wouldn't call Terry Bradshaw a great QB except he has all the bling. He was fitted with a team that had good to great players across the board, on both sides of the ball.  Make no mistake, I think Terry was a good to very good QB but had he been strapped to the Saints for his career I doubt he would have all the bling and a gold jacket.

    In a more modern context, look at Geoff in Detroit. Did he all of a sudden look really good on his own or was it because he landed with a Detroit team who has really good players around him and a coaching staff that helped unlock his potential?

    I think it is easier to identify and pick good non-QB's than it is to find that QB who can lift the whole team.  Get some good players around a decent QB and all of a sudden he is going to look like the Ritz.

    From a talent standpoint, Hunter is the best player in this draft IMO.  If he is there, we just need to take him and figure out the rest as we go.

  • @bob806 said:

    Milroe? Do you think he's going to be ok in the pros? I'm not so sure.

    I am not so sure any QB is going to be all that good in the pro's.  I really want Dart, but to get him we will have to move up.  I mentioned Milrow simply because he is probably 4th on the list of draftable QB's.

    Let me rephrase. I lean towards taking Hunter then a QB who the Browns feel is the best available.  Insert any name that makes you happy.  I don't say that in a snippy way. I don't think any of the QB's are going to be great QB's but there are probably 5-6 who can become good QB's.

    As fans we all want the next HOF QB, but that doesn't happen all that often. A good QB is all that is needed to compete for championships if he is fitted with the right team and scheme.

    I wouldn't call Terry Bradshaw a great QB except he has all the bling. He was fitted with a team that had good to great players across the board, on both sides of the ball.  Make no mistake, I think Terry was a good to very good QB but had he been strapped to the Saints for his career I doubt he would have all the bling and a gold jacket.

    In a more modern context, look at Geoff in Detroit. Did he all of a sudden look really good on his own or was it because he landed with a Detroit team who has really good players around him and a coaching staff that helped unlock his potential?

    I think it is easier to identify and pick good non-QB's than it is to find that QB who can lift the whole team.  Get some good players around a decent QB and all of a sudden he is going to look like the Ritz.

    From a talent standpoint, Hunter is the best player in this draft IMO.  If he is there, we just need to take him and figure out the rest as we go.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @ballpeen said:

    I am not so sure any QB is going to be all that good in the pro's.  I really want Dart, but to get him we will have to move up.  I mentioned Milrow simply because he is probably 4th on the list of draftable QB's.

    Let me rephrase. I lean towards taking Hunter then a QB who the Browns feel is the best available.  Insert any name that makes you happy.  I don't say that in a snippy way. I don't think any of the QB's are going to be great QB's but there are probably 5-6 who can become good QB's.

    As fans we all want the next HOF QB, but that doesn't happen all that often. A good QB is all that is needed to compete for championships if he is fitted with the right team and scheme.

    I wouldn't call Terry Bradshaw a great QB except he has all the bling. He was fitted with a team that had good to great players across the board, on both sides of the ball.  Make no mistake, I think Terry was a good to very good QB but had he been strapped to the Saints for his career I doubt he would have all the bling and a gold jacket.

    In a more modern context, look at Geoff in Detroit. Did he all of a sudden look really good on his own or was it because he landed with a Detroit team who has really good players around him and a coaching staff that helped unlock his potential?

    I think it is easier to identify and pick good non-QB's than it is to find that QB who can lift the whole team.  Get some good players around a decent QB and all of a sudden he is going to look like the Ritz.

    From a talent standpoint, Hunter is the best player in this draft IMO.  If he is there, we just need to take him and figure out the rest as we go.

    Yeah I know our new offensive coordinator or QB coach worked with Milroe, so familiarity helps. He just didn't look great in the few games I saw him play. He definitely does some things well though.

    Regarding Hunter, it's probably the safest pick but with the Browns needing help in the trenches, I'm not sure they take him. 

    Dart is intriguing as well. Critics say he's a "one read guy," I don't know. 

    With 5 of the first 104 picks, I'm hoping they draft at least 3 starters. 

  • @bob806 said:

    Milroe? Do you think he's going to be ok in the pros? I'm not so sure.

    I am not so sure any QB is going to be all that good in the pro's.  I really want Dart, but to get him we will have to move up.  I mentioned Milrow simply because he is probably 4th on the list of draftable QB's.

    Let me rephrase. I lean towards taking Hunter then a QB who the Browns feel is the best available.  Insert any name that makes you happy.  I don't say that in a snippy way. I don't think any of the QB's are going to be great QB's but there are probably 5-6 who can become good QB's.

    As fans we all want the next HOF QB, but that doesn't happen all that often. A good QB is all that is needed to compete for championships if he is fitted with the right team and scheme.

    I wouldn't call Terry Bradshaw a great QB except he has all the bling. He was fitted with a team that had good to great players across the board, on both sides of the ball.  Make no mistake, I think Terry was a good to very good QB but had he been strapped to the Saints for his career I doubt he would have all the bling and a gold jacket.

    In a more modern context, look at Geoff in Detroit. Did he all of a sudden look really good on his own or was it because he landed with a Detroit team who has really good players around him and a coaching staff that helped unlock his potential?

    I think it is easier to identify and pick good non-QB's than it is to find that QB who can lift the whole team.  Get some good players around a decent QB and all of a sudden he is going to look like the Ritz.

    From a talent standpoint, Hunter is the best player in this draft IMO.  If he is there, we just need to take him and figure out the rest as we go.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @ballpeen said:

    From a talent standpoint, Hunter is the best player in this draft IMO.  If he is there, we just need to take him and figure out the rest as we go.

    I'm changing my mind about Abdul Carter - like in the other thread - he actually has a higher prospect value than Hunter, from the NFL Redline ratings - a 7.0, and Hunter had a 6.89. I think one of those two future stars will be the pick for the Browns. We'll see.

  • @bob806 said:

    Milroe? Do you think he's going to be ok in the pros? I'm not so sure.

    I am not so sure any QB is going to be all that good in the pro's.  I really want Dart, but to get him we will have to move up.  I mentioned Milrow simply because he is probably 4th on the list of draftable QB's.

    Let me rephrase. I lean towards taking Hunter then a QB who the Browns feel is the best available.  Insert any name that makes you happy.  I don't say that in a snippy way. I don't think any of the QB's are going to be great QB's but there are probably 5-6 who can become good QB's.

    As fans we all want the next HOF QB, but that doesn't happen all that often. A good QB is all that is needed to compete for championships if he is fitted with the right team and scheme.

    I wouldn't call Terry Bradshaw a great QB except he has all the bling. He was fitted with a team that had good to great players across the board, on both sides of the ball.  Make no mistake, I think Terry was a good to very good QB but had he been strapped to the Saints for his career I doubt he would have all the bling and a gold jacket.

    In a more modern context, look at Geoff in Detroit. Did he all of a sudden look really good on his own or was it because he landed with a Detroit team who has really good players around him and a coaching staff that helped unlock his potential?

    I think it is easier to identify and pick good non-QB's than it is to find that QB who can lift the whole team.  Get some good players around a decent QB and all of a sudden he is going to look like the Ritz.

    From a talent standpoint, Hunter is the best player in this draft IMO.  If he is there, we just need to take him and figure out the rest as we go.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @ballpeen said:

    From a talent standpoint, Hunter is the best player in this draft IMO.  If he is there, we just need to take him and figure out the rest as we go.

    This is becoming my feeling also... I know a lot of teams draft for need..  But I have always felt... BTA at said pick... as long as you keep "stacking the best" as it were... I think in the end you wind up with a better team in the long run... But I guess there's more than one road to mecca...

  • @bob806 said:

    Milroe? Do you think he's going to be ok in the pros? I'm not so sure.

    I am not so sure any QB is going to be all that good in the pro's.  I really want Dart, but to get him we will have to move up.  I mentioned Milrow simply because he is probably 4th on the list of draftable QB's.

    Let me rephrase. I lean towards taking Hunter then a QB who the Browns feel is the best available.  Insert any name that makes you happy.  I don't say that in a snippy way. I don't think any of the QB's are going to be great QB's but there are probably 5-6 who can become good QB's.

    As fans we all want the next HOF QB, but that doesn't happen all that often. A good QB is all that is needed to compete for championships if he is fitted with the right team and scheme.

    I wouldn't call Terry Bradshaw a great QB except he has all the bling. He was fitted with a team that had good to great players across the board, on both sides of the ball.  Make no mistake, I think Terry was a good to very good QB but had he been strapped to the Saints for his career I doubt he would have all the bling and a gold jacket.

    In a more modern context, look at Geoff in Detroit. Did he all of a sudden look really good on his own or was it because he landed with a Detroit team who has really good players around him and a coaching staff that helped unlock his potential?

    I think it is easier to identify and pick good non-QB's than it is to find that QB who can lift the whole team.  Get some good players around a decent QB and all of a sudden he is going to look like the Ritz.

    From a talent standpoint, Hunter is the best player in this draft IMO.  If he is there, we just need to take him and figure out the rest as we go.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @ballpeen said:

    In a more modern context, look at Geoff in Detroit. Did he all of a sudden look really good on his own or was it because he landed with a Detroit team who has really good players around him and a coaching staff that helped unlock his potential?

    He was good with the team that drafted him too.  (Rams)

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by syd
    #39

    so ? who the fuck is gonna start the season at QB ?  A rookie ?  pickett (LLLLMMMMAAAOOO) ? who ?

    edit: so we just draft Hunter or Carter and tank again next year ?

  • sydS syd

    so ? who the fuck is gonna start the season at QB ?  A rookie ?  pickett (LLLLMMMMAAAOOO) ? who ?

    edit: so we just draft Hunter or Carter and tank again next year ?

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @syd said:

    so ? who the fuck is gonna start the season at QB ?  A rookie ?  pickett (LLLLMMMMAAAOOO) ? who ?

    edit: so we just draft Hunter or Carter and tank again next year ?

    That's not what Myles was told.

  • @syd said:

    so ? who the fuck is gonna start the season at QB ?  A rookie ?  pickett (LLLLMMMMAAAOOO) ? who ?

    edit: so we just draft Hunter or Carter and tank again next year ?

    That's not what Myles was told.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @orion said:

    That's not what Myles was told.

    I agree.

    What veteran QB available is making Myles say that he's happy with what they are going to do? Possibly over-the-hill Kirk Cousins or Russell Wilson? 

    I think he was told that we have the #2 pick and that one of the two top QBs is coming here. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    From a talent standpoint, Hunter is the best player in this draft IMO.  If he is there, we just need to take him and figure out the rest as we go.

    I'm changing my mind about Abdul Carter - like in the other thread - he actually has a higher prospect value than Hunter, from the NFL Redline ratings - a 7.0, and Hunter had a 6.89. I think one of those two future stars will be the pick for the Browns. We'll see.

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @calfoxwc said:

    I'm changing my mind about Abdul Carter - like in the other thread - he actually has a higher prospect value than Hunter, from the NFL Redline ratings - a 7.0, and Hunter had a 6.89. I think one of those two future stars will be the pick for the Browns. We'll see.

    if we talk about this current regime do or die this year and this is for their jobs.  This is most logical pick.  Myles and Carter likely equals at least a turnover a game. 

    We become elite on the edges. Carter has a motor and some get off and he played as an off ball linebacker for a couple years - he has versatility.  
     

    And if your Stefanski you made old man Joe good so show us once again you can do it with a guy at the end of his road that can still make good decisions.
     

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I'm changing my mind about Abdul Carter - like in the other thread - he actually has a higher prospect value than Hunter, from the NFL Redline ratings - a 7.0, and Hunter had a 6.89. I think one of those two future stars will be the pick for the Browns. We'll see.

    if we talk about this current regime do or die this year and this is for their jobs.  This is most logical pick.  Myles and Carter likely equals at least a turnover a game. 

    We become elite on the edges. Carter has a motor and some get off and he played as an off ball linebacker for a couple years - he has versatility.  
     

    And if your Stefanski you made old man Joe good so show us once again you can do it with a guy at the end of his road that can still make good decisions.
     

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @sdbacker80 said:

    And if your Stefanski you made old man Joe good 

    Was he?  Negative turnover margin per game.  

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    And if your Stefanski you made old man Joe good 

    Was he?  Negative turnover margin per game.  

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @tiamat63 said:

    Was he?  Negative turnover margin per game.  

    Well, he was WAY better than the other guys that we were trotting out there to play QB.  

    I don't want to make it sound like Flacco stinks, because he doesn't, but any team that has to start him at QB, is in dire straits at the QB position.

  • @syd said:

    so ? who the fuck is gonna start the season at QB ?  A rookie ?  pickett (LLLLMMMMAAAOOO) ? who ?

    edit: so we just draft Hunter or Carter and tank again next year ?

    That's not what Myles was told.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @orion said:

    That's not what Myles was told.

    We really don't know what Myles was told.

    Maybe Myles was told by his agent to sign the new deal with the no trade clause, play here a year, then demand a trade after this season when he has some control over where he might go.

  • @orion said:

    That's not what Myles was told.

    I agree.

    What veteran QB available is making Myles say that he's happy with what they are going to do? Possibly over-the-hill Kirk Cousins or Russell Wilson? 

    I think he was told that we have the #2 pick and that one of the two top QBs is coming here. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @dutch-oven said:

    I agree.

    What veteran QB available is making Myles say that he's happy with what they are going to do? Possibly over-the-hill Kirk Cousins or Russell Wilson? 

    I think he was told that we have the #2 pick and that one of the two top QBs is coming here. 

    I agree that makes some sense.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I agree.

    What veteran QB available is making Myles say that he's happy with what they are going to do? Possibly over-the-hill Kirk Cousins or Russell Wilson? 

    I think he was told that we have the #2 pick and that one of the two top QBs is coming here. 

    I agree that makes some sense.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree that makes some sense.

    While we may argue if Ward or Sanders is worth the #2 pick, I can see the Browns telling Myles they are moving on from Watson for good and taking one of those guys and him being ok with this over him being told that the plan is to roll with Kirk Cousins or Russell Wilson for a season, then drafting THE guy next year. 

    But then again, maybe it WAS all about the money for Myles, and option #2 is in play and he's like "I stopped listening once you told me you'd give me $40 mill a year..." 

    Still, gun to my head, I think the Browns are taking a QB at #2. Hell, they might move up to #1 to make sure they get their guy. 

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #48

    I'd be shocke4d if we moved up 1 slot. It wouldn't be worth it IMO.  If you just go by the standard trade value chart..it's at least a guide.

    The difference between the 1st pick and the 2nd pick is 400 points.  We'd have to throw in both of our 3rd rounders and a 6th or 7th to get the 400 number. I hope we wouldn't do that. If we did do that, say goodby to a really good running back and good offensive lineman.

    If it works out we like 1 of the QBs and not the other, I just take Hunter,  and possibly look to move up from the 2nd rounder we hold to get our next best guy.

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #49
  • @orion said:

    That's not what Myles was told.

    We really don't know what Myles was told.

    Maybe Myles was told by his agent to sign the new deal with the no trade clause, play here a year, then demand a trade after this season when he has some control over where he might go.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @ballpeen said:

    We really don't know what Myles was told.

    Maybe Myles was told by his agent to sign the new deal with the no trade clause, play here a year, then demand a trade after this season when he has some control over where he might go.

    This makes as much sense as any "he was told the plans at QB and likes them" guesses we've come up with, if not more.