Skip to content

Unofficial 2025 Pre-Training Camp Roster & Depth Charts

The Browns Board
74 7 9.0k
  • @orion said:

    I think that Ford has shown enough flashes that somebody is gonna have to flat out beat him out.  I certainly don't think that Pierre Strong can do it.  

    Ford also shows flashes of running into traffic that vision could have helped him avoid. Trade him or drop him. Waste of a roster space IMO.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @texasag1969 said:

    Ford also shows flashes of running into traffic that vision could have helped him avoid.

    Yup....that's him too.  

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #58

     I have no reason to believe Sampson and even Marshall won't push Ford for playing time.  The only advantage he currently brings over them is knowing the offensive language, play structure and his roles in pass pro. 

     Beyond that he's an average to below average ball carrier. 

     If they pickup the details fast as rookies, they will end up taking over for him.  But like Dutch said, barring miracle improvement, he's gone next year.  

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #59

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #60

    I know the Browns had no idea Sanders was going to fall to the 5th round, but I'm starting to really loathe them taking Gabriel in the 3rd round now. Ohio State's LB Cody Simon and DE Jack Sawyer were still on the board, as was South Carolina's DE Kyle Kennard and Notre Dame's safety Xavier Watts. Plus many OLinemen on a team desperate for young OLinemen. 

    I think the QB room has to be Flacco and Sanders, but it is early, we'll see how things look during training camp. 

  • I know the Browns had no idea Sanders was going to fall to the 5th round, but I'm starting to really loathe them taking Gabriel in the 3rd round now. Ohio State's LB Cody Simon and DE Jack Sawyer were still on the board, as was South Carolina's DE Kyle Kennard and Notre Dame's safety Xavier Watts. Plus many OLinemen on a team desperate for young OLinemen. 

    I think the QB room has to be Flacco and Sanders, but it is early, we'll see how things look during training camp. 

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @dutch-oven said:

    I know the Browns had no idea Sanders was going to fall to the 5th round, but I'm starting to really loathe them taking Gabriel in the 3rd round now. Ohio State's LB Cody Simon and DE Jack Sawyer were still on the board, as was South Carolina's DE Kyle Kennard and Notre Dame's safety Xavier Watts. Plus many OLinemen on a team desperate for young OLinemen. 

    I think the QB room has to be Flacco and Sanders, but it is early, we'll see how things look during training camp. 

    I can’t fault them for sticking to their plan. The best you can hope for from the FO is to do the legwork to have a plan, the stick to-it-iveness to stick to the plan, and the flexibility to smartly alter that plan when opportunity knocks the door down. 

  • I know the Browns had no idea Sanders was going to fall to the 5th round, but I'm starting to really loathe them taking Gabriel in the 3rd round now. Ohio State's LB Cody Simon and DE Jack Sawyer were still on the board, as was South Carolina's DE Kyle Kennard and Notre Dame's safety Xavier Watts. Plus many OLinemen on a team desperate for young OLinemen. 

    I think the QB room has to be Flacco and Sanders, but it is early, we'll see how things look during training camp. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm starting to really loathe them taking Gabriel in the 3rd round now.

    I hear ya.  But we have to remember that they had Gabriel as the #2 QB in the draft.  Be it right or wrong...

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'm starting to really loathe them taking Gabriel in the 3rd round now.

    I hear ya.  But we have to remember that they had Gabriel as the #2 QB in the draft.  Be it right or wrong...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @orion said:

    I hear ya.  But we have to remember that they had Gabriel as the #2 QB in the draft.  Be it right or wrong...

    In poker, you don't plan your hand. You're playing the hand of the man across from you. 

     If the Browns had Gabe as the #2 QB and a 3rd round value, but the consensus around the league with professional contacts wasn't the same - then they unnecessarily overpaid.   

  • @orion said:

    I hear ya.  But we have to remember that they had Gabriel as the #2 QB in the draft.  Be it right or wrong...

    In poker, you don't plan your hand. You're playing the hand of the man across from you. 

     If the Browns had Gabe as the #2 QB and a 3rd round value, but the consensus around the league with professional contacts wasn't the same - then they unnecessarily overpaid.   

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @tiamat63 said:

    they unnecessarily overpaid. 

    But we don't know that, we surmise.  Somebody could've picked him before our next pick.  We don't know that nobody would've picked him.  We didn't know that the Browns had him rated so high.  His name certainly didn't come up around here too often, pre draft.  But his numbers / stats  rank him as one of the best QB's in the draft.  

    So, after your QB evaluations, he's your choice as the 2nd best QB in the draft.  It would not be a stretch for you to think that if YOU see him with that kind of value, others may have reached the same conclusion.  

    And lastly, he plays QB.  They get rated on a different curve because of the position importance (your team is dogshit without one).  

    They saw an opportunity, in the 3rd round, to come out of the draft with the QB they wanted  (for whatever reason, starter, future backup ???}.  I can't fault them for the pick.  We had no QB.   Now, if he turns out to stink, then I could fault them for evaluation.  But, as we know, the draft is a crap-shoot.  

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by syd
    #65

    pulling for this guy

  • sydS syd

    pulling for this guy

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #66

    @syd said:

    pulling for this guy

    Thanks Syd!  I got reeled in too... 

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #67
  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #68
  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #69

  • @tiamat63 said:

    they unnecessarily overpaid. 

    But we don't know that, we surmise.  Somebody could've picked him before our next pick.  We don't know that nobody would've picked him.  We didn't know that the Browns had him rated so high.  His name certainly didn't come up around here too often, pre draft.  But his numbers / stats  rank him as one of the best QB's in the draft.  

    So, after your QB evaluations, he's your choice as the 2nd best QB in the draft.  It would not be a stretch for you to think that if YOU see him with that kind of value, others may have reached the same conclusion.  

    And lastly, he plays QB.  They get rated on a different curve because of the position importance (your team is dogshit without one).  

    They saw an opportunity, in the 3rd round, to come out of the draft with the QB they wanted  (for whatever reason, starter, future backup ???}.  I can't fault them for the pick.  We had no QB.   Now, if he turns out to stink, then I could fault them for evaluation.  But, as we know, the draft is a crap-shoot.  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @orion said:

    But we don't know that, we surmise.  Somebody could've picked him before our next pick.  We don't know that nobody would've picked him.  We didn't know that the Browns had him rated so high.  His name certainly didn't come up around here too often, pre draft.  But his numbers / stats  rank him as one of the best QB's in the draft.  

    So, after your QB evaluations, he's your choice as the 2nd best QB in the draft.  It would not be a stretch for you to think that if YOU see him with that kind of value, others may have reached the same conclusion.  

    And lastly, he plays QB.  They get rated on a different curve because of the position importance (your team is dogshit without one).  

    They saw an opportunity, in the 3rd round, to come out of the draft with the QB they wanted  (for whatever reason, starter, future backup ???}.  I can't fault them for the pick.  We had no QB.   Now, if he turns out to stink, then I could fault them for evaluation.  But, as we know, the draft is a crap-shoot.  

    On top of it being a crap-shoot - our ownerships haven't always had appropriate FOs and/or coaching staffs in tact to develop a young QB the right way.  There needs to be an understanding between inevitable growing pains within a learning curve vrs jumping to a premature conclusion on a QB. For example, the Tampa Bay Bucs back in the day concluding Steve Young was trash before he was given a reasonable chance to succeed.  At 1 point Dallas had a temptation/consideration of Steve Walsh over Troy Aikman; but lucky for them they resisted that temptation to the disappointment of some portion of their fanbase.

    Anyway, this video below shares some interesting perspective on when to start one of the rookie QBs from someone was a rookie QB here that waited until week 7 to start his 1st game in 1985.  Interestingly enough, the Browns won the AFC Central with an 8-8 record that year.  

  • @orion said:

    But we don't know that, we surmise.  Somebody could've picked him before our next pick.  We don't know that nobody would've picked him.  We didn't know that the Browns had him rated so high.  His name certainly didn't come up around here too often, pre draft.  But his numbers / stats  rank him as one of the best QB's in the draft.  

    So, after your QB evaluations, he's your choice as the 2nd best QB in the draft.  It would not be a stretch for you to think that if YOU see him with that kind of value, others may have reached the same conclusion.  

    And lastly, he plays QB.  They get rated on a different curve because of the position importance (your team is dogshit without one).  

    They saw an opportunity, in the 3rd round, to come out of the draft with the QB they wanted  (for whatever reason, starter, future backup ???}.  I can't fault them for the pick.  We had no QB.   Now, if he turns out to stink, then I could fault them for evaluation.  But, as we know, the draft is a crap-shoot.  

    On top of it being a crap-shoot - our ownerships haven't always had appropriate FOs and/or coaching staffs in tact to develop a young QB the right way.  There needs to be an understanding between inevitable growing pains within a learning curve vrs jumping to a premature conclusion on a QB. For example, the Tampa Bay Bucs back in the day concluding Steve Young was trash before he was given a reasonable chance to succeed.  At 1 point Dallas had a temptation/consideration of Steve Walsh over Troy Aikman; but lucky for them they resisted that temptation to the disappointment of some portion of their fanbase.

    Anyway, this video below shares some interesting perspective on when to start one of the rookie QBs from someone was a rookie QB here that waited until week 7 to start his 1st game in 1985.  Interestingly enough, the Browns won the AFC Central with an 8-8 record that year.  

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #71

    @flugel said:

    Anyway, this video below

    I love Bernie!  He' always been so football-smart.  When he was commentating on the preseason broadcasts, they'd break the huddle and still be half way walking to the LOS and he'd say, This play has zero chance of success.  And sure enough it'd be a run into the line for no gain.

    And he's absolutely Sooo right.  Don't put the rookie QB's into the games in September.  Let the offense get sorted out.  Let the OL get settled in and sorted out before putting in a rookie QB behind them.

    And he said that he didn't study Gabriel.  Nor did I, or hardly anyone else, related to the Browns upcoming 2025 draft.  He just wasn't on my radar.  After the pick, looking at his numbers, then, yeah, He has the stats.  Me personally, I don't care for little QB's.  But I wish him as much luck as Sanders.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #72
  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @tiamat63 said:

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/45589819/browns-release-ogbo-okoronkwo-sign-kicker-andre-szmyt

    Our best DPR has been cut. 

    May have been a money move to save a few mil. This guy seems to think the team is pretty confident in a few of the younger DEs they have on the team. We will see…

    https://bvmsports.com/2025/06/29/why-did-the-browns-release-ogbo-okoronkwo/

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #74